Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Are there any go-to tablets for professional use? I'm looking at reducing my dependency on paper notes and otherwise making things go more smoothly in court.

- Good for note-taking on the fly, preferably with a pen. (Digitizer, I guess?)
- Calendar that I can quickly make notes on, browse, search, etc
- Large screen
- Don't give a poo poo about games, I've got my desktop for that
- Battery life
- Ability to integrate with monitors, projectors, other displays
- A DVD player or ability to use an external one would be clutch
- Storage space isn't really a huge deal, I don't need to keep twenty seasons worth of TV shows on it
- Open to laptops with tablet functionality
- Budget: in the low four digits (obviously the cheaper the better)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
iPad Air.

And what's the deal with people wanting tablets that can use a DVD player? It's the year 2014. Physical media is dead.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Bung Harmer posted:

iPad Air.

And what's the deal with people wanting tablets that can use a DVD player? It's the year 2014. Physical media is dead.

I need something to play surveillance, interviews, and other evidence that ~the man~ prevents me from copying.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Sounds like you really need a laptop with a DVD drive.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Are there any go-to tablets for professional use? I'm looking at reducing my dependency on paper notes and otherwise making things go more smoothly in court.

:words:

Surface Pro 2 would probably be your best bet if you need a digitizer. It has Wacom and comes with a stylus. You can also get a free touch cover if you buy it from Microsoft's store in the next week. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/pdp/en_US/Surface-Pro-2/productID.286866600?WT.mc_id=surface_RTM_surfacepro2

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/music-photos-and-video/connect-surface-pro-to-a-tv-display-or-projector

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 24, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
So I'm going to be picking up an iPad for work. I have a few questions:

-Is there any reason to buy a "normal" iPad instead of an air other than price?

-Is external storage an option? 128G Seems like it would disappear in a hurry.

-Whats the goon consensus on buying a referbed iPad vs a new one?

-If I have an iPhone through sprint, and pay for their internet tethering service, is there a point to getting the version with cell service? Or is it cheaper to drop the tethering and just get the data service.

And before anyone asks, any electronics used at work have to go through a testing phase that lasts 3 months and costs thousands of $ which is why only the iPad is approved. As much as I would like to use an android tablet it's not an option.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

KodiakRS posted:

-If I have an iPhone through sprint, and pay for their internet tethering service, is there a point to getting the version with cell service? Or is it cheaper to drop the tethering and just get the data service.

And before anyone asks, any electronics used at work have to go through a testing phase that lasts 3 months and costs thousands of $ which is why only the iPad is approved. As much as I would like to use an android tablet it's not an option.

Price is the only reason to get an iPad 4 instead of the iPad Air. The Air is superior in every respect.

You can get WiFi drives as external storage but that's only useful for certain files mostly movies.

Always buy refurb Apple products they look new and come with a 1 year warranty. I believe the screen/body is even new.

The one draw back from tethering is it's a huge battery drain on your phone. If you only use it once in a while I say tethering is fine but if you are going to be constantly tethering your phone I'd get the cellular radio in the iPad. You can also get the iPad on a different carrier so if Sprint sucks in an area maybe Verizon or AT&T will be better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

The iPad 4 is perfectly fine, but the Air is better in pretty much every way (screens are comparable).

External storage is only really good for a few things, but 128 GB will hold a lot unless you're carrying tons of HD movies. My current iPad is a 32 GB, though previous ones I've had were 64 GB which I never ran out of space on. (32 is stretching it a bit, admittedly.)

Buy a refurb if it's available from Apple!

Sprint data speed and coverage are terrible, which is a factor, though if you're happy with it, I guess there's no reason to get the data model though they get a GPS which the wifi ones don't have.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Thinking about returning the refurbed iPad Air I picked up. Not loving IOS and Google integration/digital button/widgets were nice to have. My current tablet is a Xoom, it works fine, but it is showing age and lagging. I would rather have pure android device than a overlay, but if it unobtrusive I am ok with it.

Hesitant to pay full price for the Nexus 10 when it is a bit of an older tablet (same cost as refurbed air) Samsung Note 10.1 2014 is a contender, but from the online things I've seen touchwiz looks like a painful overlay. If something good is coming down the pipe I can wait a couple months. Any thoughts?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Foma posted:

Thinking about returning the refurbed iPad Air I picked up. Not loving IOS and Google integration/digital button/widgets were nice to have. My current tablet is a Xoom, it works fine, but it is showing age and lagging. I would rather have pure android device than a overlay, but if it unobtrusive I am ok with it.

Hesitant to pay full price for the Nexus 10 when it is a bit of an older tablet (same cost as refurbed air) Samsung Note 10.1 2014 is a contender, but from the online things I've seen touchwiz looks like a painful overlay. If something good is coming down the pipe I can wait a couple months. Any thoughts?
Nothing has been announced for 10" Android tablets and there hasn't even really been many rumors.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

Surface Pro 2 would probably be your best bet if you need a digitizer. It has Wacom and comes with a stylus. You can also get a free touch cover if you buy it from Microsoft's store in the next week. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/pdp/en_US/Surface-Pro-2/productID.286866600?WT.mc_id=surface_RTM_surfacepro2

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/music-photos-and-video/connect-surface-pro-to-a-tv-display-or-projector

This is really great, thanks.

And despite what I said about "no games" I could throw Steam on it and play everything :awesome:

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Endless Mike posted:

Nothing has been announced for 10" Android tablets and there hasn't even really been many rumors.

Current rumour is that Google is launching a new 8.9" tablet that may or may not replace the Nexus 10. If you really want stock it may be worth waiting since that's not going to be a huge amount off the 10". If you want one now, a lot of people do really love the Note line so I think Touchwiz has improved quite a bit.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

MrNemo posted:

Current rumour is that Google is launching a new 8.9" tablet that may or may not replace the Nexus 10. If you really want stock it may be worth waiting since that's not going to be a huge amount off the 10". If you want one now, a lot of people do really love the Note line so I think Touchwiz has improved quite a bit.
Any rumors of new Google tablets that are larger than the N7 are unsubstantiated enough, and the tablet itself far enough away even if it's true (probably at least 4-6 months) that I'd just make a decision between iPad and the other Android tablets out there and not wait on these rumors to pan out--you'll almost certainly be waiting much longer than you expect. That said, the Note line really is pretty decent if you're OK with touchwiz.

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!
I'm looking for a recommendation for my dad. He just moved into a new place and can't get cable in his kitchen, which is where he's accustomed to watching stuff like the local news, Good Morning America and The Peoples' Court around mealtimes. He's gotten the idea that he can get a tablet on which he can watch these programs, but I'm skeptical - something like Hulu would do for primetime shows, but I wouldn't know how to go about getting the kinds of programs he wants.

Are there any solutions? I was thinking something like a Roku might be a better fit. He's not very tech-savvy - two years ago his Toshiba died and he bought a 15" MBP, but as soon as he figured out that all the Toshiba needed was a new hard drive he put the MBP in a corner where it's been gathering dust since he didn't want to learn a new OS. He's offered to trade me the MBP for solving this problem for him, so I'm relatively motivated to figure something out.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

kernel panic posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for my dad. He just moved into a new place and can't get cable in his kitchen, which is where he's accustomed to watching stuff like the local news, Good Morning America and The Peoples' Court around mealtimes. He's gotten the idea that he can get a tablet on which he can watch these programs, but I'm skeptical - something like Hulu would do for primetime shows, but I wouldn't know how to go about getting the kinds of programs he wants.

Are there any solutions? I was thinking something like a Roku might be a better fit. He's not very tech-savvy - two years ago his Toshiba died and he bought a 15" MBP, but as soon as he figured out that all the Toshiba needed was a new hard drive he put the MBP in a corner where it's been gathering dust since he didn't want to learn a new OS. He's offered to trade me the MBP for solving this problem for him, so I'm relatively motivated to figure something out.

Antenna for local channels.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

kernel panic posted:

Well, if its specific as video on the kitchen, one of a few things:

His cable might offer live streaming (ala Comcast XFinity)
A service like Hulu
There is some live streaming (though not much), I believe ABC does stream live via their app
split the cable wire without telling said provider (if possible

Once you figure out what the medium is, then pick the solution based off of where you can get it. IE if iPad app get an iPad, or you could hook a Roku or Apple TV up potentially.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If he's already paying for cable and his provider doesn't provide a solution, there's always a Slingbox. I'd still throw in another vote for rabbit ears. Over-the-air HD looks great.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
I'm trying to decide between the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 2014 edition and the Note 10.1 2014 version. Am I correct in that the only meaningful differences between the two seems to be the S-Pen that comes with the Note, and the Tab has Kit Kat as opposed to Jellybean?

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!
Thanks guys! I dug a little bit and I think that a Roku + the TWC app is going to be the easiest solution for him.

I would still like to get him a tablet, though. Is there any particular model that's good for older people who aren't terribly tech-savvy? He wouldn't be doing anything complicated, but something for email, light surfing, and ebooks that's easy for him to use would be great.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kernel panic posted:

Thanks guys! I dug a little bit and I think that a Roku + the TWC app is going to be the easiest solution for him.

I would still like to get him a tablet, though. Is there any particular model that's good for older people who aren't terribly tech-savvy? He wouldn't be doing anything complicated, but something for email, light surfing, and ebooks that's easy for him to use would be great.

The Apple iPad is always the best for not tech savvy people. Android certainly isn't terrible and some Android options are cheaper, but the iPad still is the simplest.

On a different note, I'm sure people noticed the OP got deleted somewhere a few months back (I don't know how/why/whatever). I just re did a bunch of it, so feel free to look and see if there is anything terrible.

And no, I still did not add much to the Windows part yet.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The last few posts got me thinking that maybe my parents could use a tablet to carry around the house and stream Netflix on (using an HDMI cable or whatever hooked up to either the giga TV upstairs or the giga TV downstairs). What's a good tablet for that and why is this a bad idea.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Sheep-Goats posted:

The last few posts got me thinking that maybe my parents could use a tablet to carry around the house and stream Netflix on (using an HDMI cable or whatever hooked up to either the giga TV upstairs or the giga TV downstairs). What's a good tablet for that and why is this a bad idea.
Don't use a cable, get two Chromecasts. If that's really all they want to do, you could get them a Nexus 7, or if they already have smartphones they can just use those. If the tablet is going to be for other things too, get an iPad or iPad Mini.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Don't use a cable, get two Chromecasts. If that's really all they want to do, you could get them a Nexus 7, or if they already have smartphones they can just use those. If the tablet is going to be for other things too, get an iPad or iPad Mini.

Oh that looks better. They still have dumbphones, I'm debating whether it will be worth it to try to switch them over before they get too old to learn new things. I assume this isn't the 80s any more and I don't have to worry about there being two separate Chromecasts running at once and differentiating them easily on their device(s)?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oh that looks better. They still have dumbphones, I'm debating whether it will be worth it to try to switch them over before they get too old to learn new things. I assume this isn't the 80s any more and I don't have to worry about there being two separate Chromecasts running at once and differentiating them easily on their device(s)?

Yes, you can name Chromecasts, like "Bedroom TV," or whatever, but I'd suggest just keeping the "tablet" idea and the "watching Netflix on TV" idea completely separate. You can get a Roku stick for $10 more than a Chromecast. That gets them a simple remote and a great Netflix interface.

Relying on the tablet as your only controller sucks, and it's way worse if the tablet is a shared device.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thinking about getting a tablet to go with my laptop, but honestly only interested in something that can play any video I throw on it and the usual browsing the internet. On a bit of a budget, with maybe something under 200.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

Thinking about getting a tablet to go with my laptop, but honestly only interested in something that can play any video I throw on it and the usual browsing the internet. On a bit of a budget, with maybe something under 200.

I guess nexus 7, but you won't find anything decent (especially for video) at that price point.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
N7 with MX player and appropriate codec pack hasn't choked at any video I've thrown at it, including weird MKV packs (avi instead of h.264) with 7.1 audio, etc.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah looking at the Nexus 7 with the MX app sounds exactly what I wanting. Isn't too far off my budget too so I can get one soon. Betting it better to get the 2013 model since the display resolution is now 1080.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What app do people use for word processing on Mac and on Android and why is it awful?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

What app do people use for word processing on Mac and on Android and why is it awful?

iWork (apple) and google docs (both) and for the basics both are fine. Beyond the basics I would guess it depends on what you need.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Do either of them do tables? I'm a tables fiend.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Sheep-Goats posted:

Do either of them do tables? I'm a tables fiend.
Office Mobile is free on Android and iPad now. It's much better than Google Docs (I can't speak for iWork), because it doesn't require turning doc files into google docs (which works very poorly for .docx/xlsx etc), and has much better functionality. That said, for saving, it requires that you use SkyDrive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

waffle posted:

Office Mobile is free on Android and iPad now. It's much better than Google Docs (I can't speak for iWork), because it doesn't require turning doc files into google docs (which works very poorly for .docx/xlsx etc), and has much better functionality. That said, for saving, it requires that you use SkyDrive.

My understanding is that Office for iPad requires a 365 subscription to edit.

Office Mobile for Android and iPhone are free from that restriction but are small-screen applications and much less functional. We'll probably see an Android tablet version of Office for iPad in the near future with the same Office 365 requirement.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 31, 2014

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

If it's on a tablet, you could just try to use office.com. Requires a SkyDrive account still and no offline editing though.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

MikeJF posted:

My understanding is that Office for iPad requires a 365 subscription to edit.

Office Mobile for Android and iPhone are free from that restriction but are small-screen applications and much less functional. We'll probably see an Android tablet version of Office for iPad in the near future with the same Office 365 requirement.

Oh, my bad, you're right. That being said even the small-screen Office Mobile is better than Android office apps in my experience, since they are so buggy and often don't work with anything but the simplest word/excel documents. Google Docs works without a problem (though feature-light) but requires that you upload and convert files to Google Docs, which is an annoying extra step.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

So I am thinking of picking up a tablet. I had the original ipad, and liked it - but now it belongs to my mom.

I am leaning towards the retina display Ipad mini (cheapest version, lowest memory). Looking for something to use mostly for web browsing/forums, jabber, watching gaming streams, and reading. Is there any merit to surface or other android tablets? I have an HTC one phone, and I have to say that I am leaning towards an apple tablet simply due to the ease of use and browsing that comes with i-OS devices.

I like the ipad mini over the full size due to the better portability, ability to use it in one hand, and the fact that the smaller size doesnt really bother me (kindle fire size works fine for everything IMO).

Any suggestions to check out other than ipad mini?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The iPad air is just about as light as the retina Mini, so consider that as well. But the new Retina Mini is a great device and you can't go wrong with it. The only Android equivalent I would consider is the 2013 Nexus 7. It's cheaper, lighter, and Androidy-er. Just remember there are a dearth of tablet-optimized Android apps compared to iOS.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

1st AD posted:

The iPad air is just about as light as the retina Mini, so consider that as well. But the new Retina Mini is a great device and you can't go wrong with it. The only Android equivalent I would consider is the 2013 Nexus 7. It's cheaper, lighter, and Androidy-er. Just remember there are a dearth of tablet-optimized Android apps compared to iOS.

Thanks. The reason I am leaning towards mini is not the mass, but the size and convenience to hold it. I wont be using it on my lap or stand as much as held in one hand. Also, I feel that the smaller screen is plenty big, as I have pretty good eyes and in my experience with older versions of the kindle fire and regular size ipad, I never found myself wanting that extra screen size.

Opinions on retina vs the non retina mini? Probably leaning toward retina, but it is an extra hundred bucks

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
The latest version of Documents to Go Pro is pretty nice. It features integration with Google Drive, Dropbox, and SkyDrive letting you edit documents live (as opposed to download, edit, upload like it used to be). You can directly edit Microsoft Formats with no converting including Office XML.
It came with my phone or I'd probably stick to Google Docs for most things and just use document viewers on my tablet and phone for Microsoft Office docs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

thehacker0 posted:

Thanks. The reason I am leaning towards mini is not the mass, but the size and convenience to hold it. I wont be using it on my lap or stand as much as held in one hand. Also, I feel that the smaller screen is plenty big, as I have pretty good eyes and in my experience with older versions of the kindle fire and regular size ipad, I never found myself wanting that extra screen size.

Opinions on retina vs the non retina mini? Probably leaning toward retina, but it is an extra hundred bucks
Don't get a non-retina. It's essentially a shrunken iPad 2 meaning it's three generations old technology and I wouldn't expect it to get updated much beyond the next major update.