Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Ensign Expendable posted:

drat it, every time I rebookmark this thread I want to spend hundreds of dollars on 1/72 plastic men to play with in addition to my hundreds of dollars of plastic men that I look at.

I go in cycles with this as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm so glad I'm into post-WWII warfare. I don't think I could afford to read this thread if I played Flames of War or something.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
The growing number of plastic alternatives for 15mm WW2 is nice though. Recently Wargames Factory joined the fray, with German and American infantry: http://www.wargamesfactory.com/webstore/world-war-2

So now there's Plastic Soldier Company, Wargames Factory, Battle Front... did I miss any?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

lilljonas posted:

The growing number of plastic alternatives for 15mm WW2 is nice though. Recently Wargames Factory joined the fray, with German and American infantry: http://www.wargamesfactory.com/webstore/world-war-2

So now there's Plastic Soldier Company, Wargames Factory, Battle Front... did I miss any?

Forged in Battle, Peter Pig, Old Glory, Zvezda, Eureka, Quick Reaction Force

If World of Tanks wasn't such a bandwidth eating shitheap when patching I'd have caught the plastic bit sooner. Zvezda has lots of plastic Soviet vehicles in 15mm if I'm not mistaken.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 25, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

NTRabbit posted:

Forged in Battle, Peter Pig, Old Glory, Zvezda, Eureka, Quick Reaction Force

If World of Tanks wasn't such a bandwidth eating shitheap when patching I'd have caught the plastic bit sooner. Zvezda has lots of plastic Soviet vehicles in 15mm if I'm not mistaken.

They are mostly focused around Barbarossa, so it has a good selection of Germans vehicles as well, plus they make an Abrams and a T72.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Decent lot of English stuff too really, and they have a decent selection of Early and Mid war tanks in FoW terms.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Am I the only one who thinks Zvezda models look absolutely terrible? I get that they are cheap, but you really get what you pay for IMO.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there a specific kit you dislike? I've been consistently impressed with them.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

moths posted:

Is there a specific kit you dislike? I've been consistently impressed with them.

likewise. SOme of the stuff over maybe 4 years old are more roughly cast, but all the semi-recent stuff is really impressive.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

I've seen a Panzer II, III and a BT-7 (I think), and I hated them. The details were hard to make out, and looked like they wouldn't be visible after being painted. We ended up using them as wrecks on our Stalingrad board.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They are earlier stuff. Their BT-5 is a bit difficult to put together and kind of not great but it does the job fine TBH.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Oh ok. Well, that have really put me off them since seeing those horrible sculpts. I'll give them another chance if I ever need something they make.

By the way, this is probably a long shot but does anyone have an Open Fire! plastic Sherman Firefly and a resin one from BF? I need one to supplement my Canadians' armoured support, but I want them to be as similar as possible.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Oh man, the Zvezda BT, I remember putting it together ages ago. Definitely one of their earlier works.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oddly, the similarly-aged T-34 and T-26 are perfect.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Has anyone played Ronin? A friend is trying to proposition me to split two starters and the rule book with him.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

Oddly, the similarly-aged T-34 and T-26 are perfect.

Which T-34? I have their mod. 1942 with mine roller, and it seems to be really basic. Detail is good though, and the subject matter is rather unique.

I was actually looking for the T-26, so I'm glad it's a quality model.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TheBlobThing posted:

Oh ok. Well, that have really put me off them since seeing those horrible sculpts. I'll give them another chance if I ever need something they make.

By the way, this is probably a long shot but does anyone have an Open Fire! plastic Sherman Firefly and a resin one from BF? I need one to supplement my Canadians' armoured support, but I want them to be as similar as possible.

I actually do! Are you wanting side by side comparos or the models themselves? Also, fair warning, my hackjob on the plastic ones isn't really all that great.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

YF19pilot posted:

I actually do! Are you wanting side by side comparos or the models themselves? Also, fair warning, my hackjob on the plastic ones isn't really all that great.

Oh cool! I'm just looking for photos. :)

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TheBlobThing posted:

Oh cool! I'm just looking for photos. :)

Sure, sure, give me a few and I'll see what I can do.

edit to not double post:

Thing to keep in mind, the BF plastics are bigger than everything, even the BF resin, though not as noticeably. Also, pardon the lack of a proper light box; it's snowing, so I have no natural light, just my desk lamp.

I have apparently misplaced the turret for one of my plastic fireflies. I blame it on my cat, though, she keeps getting on my desk.

One thing, not sure if I'm actually suppose to put the applique armor on the firefly, but it isn't modeled on the plastic firefly.

With a plastic Sherman V to show the molded applique.

German Sherman shenanigans.

And a M51 Isherman for good measure.

e2: Note; the plastic firefly has been base coated. It's actually kind of a light pea green, kinda like cheap plastic toy soldiers.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 26, 2014

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Which T-34? I have their mod. 1942 with mine roller, and it seems to be really basic. Detail is good though, and the subject matter is rather unique.

I was actually looking for the T-26, so I'm glad it's a quality model.
We're talking about the 15mm scale stuff for Art of Tactic, not the big model kits.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

YF19pilot posted:

Amazingly helpful stuff

Thanks! You are a scholar and a gentleman. Better drum up another Plastic Firefly then, as the size difference is just a bit too noticeable for my (self diagnosed) OCD.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I don't know much about Ronin but I was looking at it and found this blog post helpful. Gonna get some seven samurai knock off models even if I don't play. http://arteis.wordpress.com/2013/08/05/samurai-miniatures-decision-made/

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think the Zvezda stuff suffers from the appearance of soft detail in the same way the bones do - they use a semi-translucent plastic that actually looks blurry to the eye because light is able to diffuse through it. Once you get it painted it'll sharpen up substantially:

This is a Zvezda 222 and an in-progress PzIII (I chopped down the barrel to make it an N but the kit's a G), and detail is totally abundant.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
What are some good resources for further research about Napoleonic era stuff? I have some Osprey pdfs but that's about it. I currently have a very shallow view of history and want to deepen that, particularly with a view towards collecting little mans.

My other goal is to collect an ancient Greek army that includes the Sacred Band of Thebes.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I have made a longhouse and some pit houses for my 6mm vikings. And I am going to make some woods for my board (I found a great technique here). I suspect I want to make a pond and some hills as well. Does anyone have some tips or good tutorials for 6mm terrain features?

E: any insight on how to make a 6mm wattle fence would be appreciated.
E2: Pins for posts wrapped with two different thicknesses of copper wire, then paint. God bless Google.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 26, 2014

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Would really love to see a pic with all your 6mm SAGA stuff when you are done. Maybe with a banana for scale. Really curious to see how small a full board is.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Has anyone heard anything about or tried By Fire and Sword? The minis look really nice and it seems super affordable, are the rules any good?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Catfishenfuego posted:

Has anyone heard anything about or tried By Fire and Sword? The minis look really nice and it seems super affordable, are the rules any good?

It's one of my favorite wargames, it's about the level of Flames of War in terms of realism. Some people seem to really hate the formation system but I like them a lot. Unlike a lot of other historical games there aren't a terrible amount of other companies making figures in that scale and period so your choices are limited, but I did find some other companies to buy things for my Swedes from.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

dishwasherlove posted:

Would really love to see a pic with all your 6mm SAGA stuff when you are done. Maybe with a banana for scale. Really curious to see how small a full board is.

I'm building a portable playing board in a picture frame. When I have that done I'll do some glamour shots of the painted minis and terrain I have so far.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Phone posting real quick from Campaign 14. It's a Firestorm Normandy campaign where you can support neighbouring areas if you finish your own battle early. Lots of cool tables and pretty sweet armies. My own Camadians have been nominated for the top 3 in the painting competition.

I've been snapping a lot of cool pics with my real camera, which I will upload when I get home, but here's a taste from my phone.

Cool event with friendly people, although the smell of fart is spreading. :(

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

And now on with the show!

Everything so far.

10 Crossbowmen
10 Spearmen
10 Archers
11 Cavalry
1 Long house
4 Pit houses

The playing surface.

I have scaled the system from inches to centimeters for sake of expediency. The typical playing area is 48"x36" which for me would be 48cmX36cm.

I opted to go for a slightly larger board because I could.

To measure distance for movement and shooting I made this

Very short=2cm Short=4cm Medium=6cm Long=12cm

Foot troops move medium

So they can't reach these mounted troops

Cavalry move Long

So they can easily reach the spearmen.

Images for scale, sorry no bananas (you filthy imgurian)

30 foot troops standing on a tank.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I like your measurement template. Did you laser etch it?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I like your measurement template. Did you laser etch it?

Yes I did. If you have a local Fab-Lab I recommend you visit it, they are awesome.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Not on this side of the border :(

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Looks great. I forget how tiny 6mm is. I don't know if I could do it. Might consider 15mm Vikings again. The measuring template is a stroke of genius.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Not on this side of the border :(

The Northern side? http://www.startupcommunities.ca/communities/

Or the Southern side? http://www.fablab.mx/

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Ran 2000 points of RSI against a 2000 point Russian tank horde in surrounded. And by horde I mean 21 T34/85s and a decoy platoon of one Tiger IE and two Panthers. Me? I had completely filled the army list, 15 platoons. I was not going anywhere, and almost won on turn six save for one T34 being just within 16" of an objective. For the first six turns, my opponent more or less just parked his tanks and tried to machine gun my dug-in infantry. I was content to pick off platoons with what little anti-armor I had at my disposal. But then the owner of the LGS started encouraging him to be more aggressive, and I couldn't roll to keep anyone in an assault. Still forced the game into a draw because of time, having lost 3 platoons, but not destroying one of his (didn't quite kill enough for force a platoon check, but even then, he's fearless).

Only complaint I have about the RSI are the options for armor and anti-armor are very limited and seem silly, like taking allied Germans to run Italian equipment that isn't the outdated Semovente 75/13. If I want better than AT9 or 10 I have to chose between armor or guns. If I want better than AT12 I have to forgo armor. Granted, I did kill a T34/85 with an AT9 weapon today, but it would've been nice to be able to field both StuGs and PaK43s. I'm going to have to learn how to adapt these guys to dealing with armor, but against infantry I'm sure they'll be terrible. I probably could've hurt more T34s if I rolled my artillery better and if my opponent rolled his saves/motivation worse, but I don't like artillery being my main anti-tank weapon.

In summary, RSI fun, will play again. Looking forward to bogging down future games with my hordes of Italians. Though I may try to run Esplorante next time; no armor, but two groups of anti-tank guns means having eight 8.8 PaK43s will probably give the Italians more teeth next time I face opponents with armor. Which will be nice, because I may be dealing with Jumbos next time.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

A buddy and I are considering getting into a WWII minis game, is Flames of War the go to one or is Bolt Action better if we are looking to do smaller skirmishes?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Commissar Canuck posted:

A buddy and I are considering getting into a WWII minis game, is Flames of War the go to one or is Bolt Action better if we are looking to do smaller skirmishes?

Depends on what you mean by skirmish. Do you mean like a couple of units and a few tanks, or do you mean one or two platoons, maybe a support vehicle or two?

For the latter, I've heard a lot of praise of Chain of Command recently (including in this thread). If you want a "40K style" skirmish game where each side takes turn moving all their troops, I'd look into Bolt Action. If you want something more "wargame style" skirmish game where turn order is less rigid and units don't always do exactly what you expect, I'd look into Chain of Command. And if you try one of them and don't like it, you can always use the same minis for the other one.

Foul Fowl posted:

Has anyone played Ronin? A friend is trying to proposition me to split two starters and the rule book with him.

I missed this one, sorry. I have played Ronin, but only as a participation game where half the players were 12-year-olds, so we had to dumb it down a bit and there was not so much strategy involved. So the only thing I know for sure is that you probably want to have a bunch of terrain on the table, because otherwise archers will decimate you before you get into combat (you can shoot twice per turn if I remember correctly). Let's just say that I was not blown away, but still ready to give it another try.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
For what it's worth, bolt action turns are broken up in similar ways to CoC. You pull order dice to activate individual units, so it's a random ebb and flow.