Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I cared that his actor had a really stupid name and I wanted it, and the character, gone from the programme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I cared that his actor had a really stupid name and I wanted it, and the character, gone from the programme.

I think a name like Rainbow Sun is probably OK if your mum is Jaffa Cree

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, his loss(ish) wasn't exactly Daniel-scale, but wow, really? I mean, he might not've been the sharpest character, but he still seemed like a friendly and likable enough guy v:shobon:v

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I respect that the Atlantis writers pulled the whole "oh I'm sure he'll be back" with Ford once or twice then apparently murdered him for real on that hive ship. Or maybe the actor just refused to come back, idk.

Nullsmack posted:

Completely forgot about the Russians version of the 303(?)

304 :smuggo:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Major Isoor posted:

Well, his loss(ish) wasn't exactly Daniel-scale, but wow, really? I mean, he might not've been the sharpest character, but he still seemed like a friendly and likable enough guy v:shobon:v

The problem was that at that point he was a bad character/actor with no real purpose on a programme that already had a lot of bad characters/actors.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

Sure the Hatak motherships blew up like Pintos but the Prometheus lasted... 3 seasons until it got blown up by something they'd never seen before? And the Russians lost their cruiser at the supergate battle but lol being Russian in an American show. They were the redshirts of SG-1. Anyway by the last movies the Ori deathballs were target practice.

Until the Asgard space lasers Earth ships were pretty crap offensively. The railguns and missiles could cause superficial damage to the unshielded wraith ships but pretty much every engagement with a shielded enemy relied on getting sg1/a strike team/a nuke aboard.

The tech inflation was really fun to watch, but it is also causes a major problem for a reboot. "Stargate: whatever's next" would be Star-Trek space-combat with nobody on Earth aware they rule the galaxy.

twoot fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 29, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

twoot posted:

The tech inflation was really fun to watch, but it is also causes a major problem for a reboot. "Stargate: whatever's next" would be Star-Trek space-combat with nobody on Earth aware they rule the galaxy.

This wouldn't be a problem if they had made Stargate: Revolution. :(

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
That's actually really funny to think about, that is if we ruled the galaxy and us civilians didn't even know it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

twoot posted:

That isn't a problem, it's awesome.

Of course, a Stargate series about earth civil society adjusting to being exposed to interplanetary travel would be pretty interesting.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mass produce Tretonin and put Big Pharma out of business.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The implications of the Asgard core on human development is just hilarious. The moment the stargate program is made public theoretical science just goes out of the window. In the first Tolan episode Carter tries to explain Schrodinger's Cat to Narim and he is amused by how primitive we are.

Now we have the entire knowledge-base of a species who are near the Ancients in development terms, and unlike our possession of the Atlantis-database the Asgard were kind enough to include a hologram which will explain everything we ask of it. Oh and it can assemble things from a molecular level.

I love this show so much.

twoot fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 29, 2014

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
I love it that the Asgard tried to hold the humans back a little bit, saying, "Here's our hyperdrive technology, a bunch of cool other technologies, and our teleporter technology, but NO WEAPONS TECH! :mad:"

The very next battle involves using the teleporter to plant H-bombs onto ships.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

At least the humans in Stargate are smart enough to do such a thing. There's a really terrible episode of TNG where they eventually obtain a transporter that's capable of beaming through any shielding, but damages the genetic code of people that go through it for some reason. Despite knowing about the Borg, and having what is clearly the ultimate weapons system at their disposal, it clearly needs to be destroyed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

At least the humans in Stargate are smart enough to do such a thing. There's a really terrible episode of TNG where they eventually obtain a transporter that's capable of beaming through any shielding, but damages the genetic code of people that go through it for some reason. Despite knowing about the Borg, and having what is clearly the ultimate weapons system at their disposal, it clearly needs to be destroyed.

Voyager is able to blow up a borg ship by beaming a single torpedo on board and guess it works because the drones just kind of look at it and start trying to defuse it rather than just beaming it into space. But really, all of the tech upgrade in Trek are meaningless changes in technobabble.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Meatwave posted:

I love it that the Asgard tried to hold the humans back a little bit, saying, "Here's our hyperdrive technology, a bunch of cool other technologies, and our teleporter technology, but NO WEAPONS TECH! :mad:"

The very next battle involves using the teleporter to plant H-bombs onto ships.

Hermiod :allears:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

So after all that hand wringing Teyla just sends her infant off to live with her former mutie baby daddy. Nice.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Smartest thing she's done.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Half a season worrying about Teyla's special hybrid child and then he's born and it's like "welp, job well done everyone, now let's do absolutely no followup on the kid and see why Michael wanted him so badly".

Not that I'm complaining, I'm sure whatever they could've come up with would've been terrible, but still.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Wasn't the whole pregnant Teyla plot written because the actress herself got pregnant?

Was probably harder to cover her pregnancy than it was for them to cover Amanda Tapping's, so they wrote it in.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It would have been much more entertaining as a 'Teyla likes creme eggs' plot. Her addiction to Earth confectionery threatening to sink Atlantis.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

twoot posted:

SwissCM posted:

That isn't a problem, it's awesome.

Of course, a Stargate series about earth civil society adjusting to being exposed to interplanetary travel would be pretty interesting.

vandelay industries posted:

That's actually really funny to think about, that is if we ruled the galaxy and us civilians didn't even know it.

twoot posted:

The implications of the Asgard core on human development is just hilarious. [...]
Yeah, basically what I'm hearing is: if Stargate came back it would be this weird really loving awesome high-concept sci-fi.

Raise your hand if you want to see a show about O'Neill and Maybourne, the odd couple, living in Earth society as it copes with the advent of the loving technological singularity.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Last we saw him I think Maybourne was still off planet being a petty king. But yeah, I'd watch the poo poo out of that.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I just started Atlantis season 4, is there a reason there was a cull of cast members? So far they've killed off Weir, Beckett, and Heightmeyer. Was something happening behind the scenes?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I just started Atlantis season 4, is there a reason there was a cull of cast members? So far they've killed off Weir, Beckett, and Heightmeyer. Was something happening behind the scenes?

Who cares*? lol. Who?

* Wier got shuffled off mostly because they still had Amanda Tapping under contract and needed somewhere to put her.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Isn't Heightmeyer that random redshirt that started appearing on a lot of scenes in Season 4/5? She was always in the Gate Ops room and randomly make comments on high-level conversations and every time I'd think "who the gently caress is this?".

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

She's the shrink who bit it in some kind of alien nightmare Sheppard brought back.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Yeah she was the psychologist and a pretty unimportant character in the grand scheme of things, it just struck me that late season 3/early season 4 had an unusually high number of deaths.

Also I'm not sure about Beckett's replacement yet. It's hard for me to buy someone who looks barely out of her teens as the chief medical officer

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Beckett thing was so stupid since he was a fan favorite. It's like if you killed off Daniel Jackson!

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Beckett thing was so stupid since he was a fan favorite. It's like if you killed off Daniel Jackson!

Except that he was brought ba- ohhhhhh...

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Weir could have been replaced with a drawing of Weir on an office chair. Everyone else on Atlantis had personalities such as smarmy hairdo, buff chewbacca, gibberish ego wizard, annoying lady with a stick, the token russian, worried scottish doctor, etc. And they're all fighting enemies that are eccentric glam-rock space draculas in an ancient city built by a race of insane assholes.

Weir's character was meant to be the immovable, level-headed rock that holds everyone together as the respected leader of a stranded outpost. But somehow that got turned into vacuous monotony, like the writers didn't know how to do that. You could edit Weir out of every episode and nobody would notice. So that's why we got Sack-o, the potato queen, whose job is to say "I don't think that's a good idea," or, alternatively, "That's a good idea," or, in a crunch, "Does anyone have an idea?"

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Ugh good lord the Beckett thing, that was so ridiculous. It's like the Atlantis crew saw what was done with Fraiser and, after doing a round of bongrips, decided it'd be totally rad if they went and did the same thing.

Meatwave posted:

Weir could have been replaced with a drawing of Weir on an office chair. Everyone else on Atlantis had personalities such as smarmy hairdo, buff chewbacca, gibberish ego wizard, annoying lady with a stick, the token russian, worried scottish doctor, etc. And they're all fighting enemies that are eccentric glam-rock space draculas in an ancient city built by a race of insane assholes.

Weir's character was meant to be the immovable, level-headed rock that holds everyone together as the respected leader of a stranded outpost. But somehow that got turned into vacuous monotony, like the writers didn't know how to do that. You could edit Weir out of every episode and nobody would notice. So that's why we got Sack-o, the potato queen, whose job is to say "I don't think that's a good idea," or, alternatively, "That's a good idea," or, in a crunch, "Does anyone have an idea?"

I seem to remember the actress talking about that in a couple interviews, both before and after she got cut from the cast, that the writers really had no idea what to do with her, so they just... didn't do much of anything with her. It seemed like it became a point of contention between her and them, which is understandable. Personally, I was irritated to see her go without much development, and the way she went out was really abrupt/forced, but, eh, what can you do. As is, her role was meant to be more like Hammond's anyway, and he didn't exactly have a poo poo-load of face-time, either, largely because he was just a foil for all the weird personalities of the SG-1 team (which is perfectly alright) so I'm not entirely sure why they felt the need to switch things up, rather than let that her stay on as the one that balances out all the wacky.

Come to think of it, Carter kind of got hit with the same fate when she was the leader of the operation for exactly that reason. I mean, yeah, she's a series mainstay, but watching S4 again, she's more or less just kind of there in the background, except in a couple notable instances.

Sometimes you need a fencepost. v:geno:v

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 1, 2014

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's almost like SG-1 benefited from the operational commander being a lesser character, since the team was who the show was about anyway...

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

It's almost like SG-1 benefited from the operational commander being a lesser character, since the team was who the show was about anyway...

Didn't Don S. Davis even force the writers to keep him lesser for that very reason when they tried to do a Hammond-centric episode?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Idran posted:

Didn't Don S. Davis even force the writers to keep him lesser for that very reason when they tried to do a Hammond-centric episode?

Yes, he told them that the show isn't about Hammond and he didn't want Hammond episodes because who cares about the personal problems of the commander when you've got a door to space front and center. They still made him a big part of a few now and then but he was happy being the guy who told them what to do.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

But Hammond was always awesome when he was on-screen, even if he was a more minor character. Everybody loved Hammond.

Weir... Not so much. She was boring at best, and was usually annoying.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Now Kolya is back from the dead. Can't create villains of the week, gotta bring someone back.

Edit: hallucinations of the week

alg fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 2, 2014

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

I like this guy from Ark of Truth:

He's a good soldier, that guy.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

An Old Boot posted:

Come to think of it, Carter kind of got hit with the same fate when she was the leader of the operation for exactly that reason. I mean, yeah, she's a series mainstay, but watching S4 again, she's more or less just kind of there in the background, except in a couple notable instances.

Tapping was only there to fulfill the 1 year left on her contract. Her cardboard-cutout persona for that season was probably a result of knowing she wouldn't be sticking around.

Whereas they tried to develop the Woolsey character because they thought that the series would continue.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

twoot posted:

Whereas they tried to develop the Woolsey character because they thought that the series would continue.

I can't be the only one that kept hoping they'd have him make one - just one - Voyager reference somewhere, can I? It would've been right in line with the MacGyver quip from the SG1 pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sighence posted:

I can't be the only one that kept hoping they'd have him make one - just one - Voyager reference somewhere, can I? It would've been right in line with the MacGyver quip from the SG1 pilot.

All they had to do was have someone from medical radio up "We have a medical emergency" so that Woolsey could reply "What is the nature of the medical emergency?" and that would have been good enough.

I actually liked Woolsey as a character because he always seemed to be doing what he though was best for everyone, but since his perspective was totally different from SG-1's, he had very different ideas. I wish he had taken over Atlantis in like, season 2...

Kolya was the best villain in Atlantis, which is kind of sad...