Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ArcadePark posted:

HunterXHunter suffers from a different problem: the author is really lazy. Lazy, as in, "I'm in ten chapters, time for an year-long break" lazy.
This is what I meant. Dood's a layabout and given the field of Japanese Comic writing I find that deplorable.

Oh don't get me wrong, I get the field of Japanese Comic writing is deplorable as is with it's 2 hour sleep work schedules (That number is probably not accurate) but Togashi's own work ethic is outright disgusting and the fact that that he continues to have a free ride makes WSJ a joke.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ConanThe3rd posted:

This is what I meant. Dood's a layabout and given the field of Japanese Comic writing I find that deplorable.

Oh don't get me wrong, I get the field of Japanese Comic writing is deplorable as is with it's 2 hour sleep work schedules (That number is probably not accurate) but Togashi's own work ethic is outright disgusting and the fact that that he continues to have a free ride makes WSJ a joke.

Well he does do some work as an editor for other manga, so he's not completely just wasting time presumably. Togashii's lenient contract only came about due to Yuu Yuu Hakusho's rushed ending, and probably came up again once he was basically submitting scribbles for the weekly magazine. It's possible he's basically using his lenient time to do batches. Course, if you're feeling pessimistic about it, he could also be just resting on his and his wife's laurels since all their manga series were super successful.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
No one knows for sure what Togashi's deal is. He might be lazy, he might be sick. It has never been confirmed either way.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Allarion posted:

Well he does do some work as an editor for other manga, so he's not completely just wasting time presumably. Togashii's lenient contract only came about due to Yuu Yuu Hakusho's rushed ending, and probably came up again once he was basically submitting scribbles for the weekly magazine. It's possible he's basically using his lenient time to do batches. Course, if you're feeling pessimistic about it, he could also be just resting on his and his wife's laurels since all their manga series were super successful.
Well I'm sorry but the glass is half-empty on this one.

Regardless the fact remains if anyone else did that (which is to say submit chicken scratchings, then constantly go on hiatus) they would be fired on the spot (as is right and proper) and it's distressing seeing good manga cut in their prime (Double Arts, MxO, the one about the Zoo that fought other zoos I can't mind the name of) whilst Togashi gets a free ride and the person who did Double Arts is now 100+ chapters into a half baked Orange Road rip-off (-psychics, pretend to + Mobsters but not really) that, by all rights, shouldn't have mustered 50.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 27, 2014

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Regardless the fact remains if anyone else did that (which is to say submit chicken scratchings, then constantly go on hiatus) they would be fired on the spot (as is right and proper) and it's distressing seeing good manga cut in their prime (Double Arts, MxO, the one about the Zoo that fought other zoos I can't mind the name of) whilst Togashi gets a free ride and the person who did Double Arts is now 100+ chapters into a half baked Orange Road rip-off (-psychics, pretend to + Mobsters but not really) that, by all rights, shouldn't have mustered 50.

Those manga got cut off in their prime because they weren't popular. Togashi's poo poo is popular and manages to stay popular even when he takes a year off. Those manga's would have been canceled had HxH stayed consistent or not.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oumagadoki Zoo. :cry: I loved that series. He even got a second shot with Barrage, but it got canceled too. I wonder what he's up to these days.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
poo poo, Barage was his? I thought that was one of Hiroyuki Takei's post Shaman King works.

Dexo posted:

Those manga got cut off in their prime because they weren't popular. Togashi's poo poo is popular and manages to stay popular even when he takes a year off. Those manga's would have been canceled had HxH stayed consistent or not.
You can explain it like that but it doesn't stop it being pure concentrated bullshit.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 27, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Only, when Togashi is firing on all cylinders he is the best mangaka in jump. Better than Oda even, though obviously Oda is way more consistent. The sj voting system is ridiculous, but all of those manga that got cancelled were at best moderately good with the potential to get better.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What was the last SJ manga to survive? Seems like most of those I've bothered to read have all been cancelled so far

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Jose posted:

What was the last SJ manga to survive? Seems like most of those I've bothered to read have all been cancelled so far

Shokugeki No Soma, I think.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

ConanThe3rd posted:

Blame Jump for treating Togashi so badly during YYH that the blank check style contract they gave him was the only way they could keep him from jumping ship to another magazine after it ended.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

AnonSpore posted:

Blame Jump for treating Togashi so badly during YYH that the blank check style contract they gave him was the only way they could keep him from jumping ship to another magazine after it ended.

What was the story behind that? It sounds interesting. I've never read YYH or really followed the story around Togashi and his infamous habits before HXH.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DrSunshine posted:

What was the story behind that? It sounds interesting. I've never read YYH or really followed the story around Togashi and his infamous habits before HXH.

Long story short, YYH was hugely popular, but Togashi wanted to end it because he was sick of pulling all nighters and said he "didn't want to die of exhaustion for the sake of a manga." It ended up running around 7 months more than he wanted, and afterwards Togashi was so sick of Jump that he threatened to leave for another magazine. Jump was so desperate to keep him that they gave him a contract that more or less specified he'd have the final word on anything he drew, including how to draw it and when to draw it. Jump doesn't break the contract because HxH still sells like gangbusters.

I mean, Togashi's not entirely blameless, since Usuta Kyousuke has a similar contract and you don't see him taking year long breaks. But from the things he wrote in his author's notes back during YYH it really does come across like he was at a breaking point and Jump forced him to go over that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

I mean, Togashi's not entirely blameless, since Usuta Kyousuke has a similar contract and you don't see him taking year long breaks. But from the things he wrote in his author's notes back during YYH it really does come across like he was at a breaking point and Jump forced him to go over that.
Ya know, I always wondered how on earth Pyu to Fuku! Jaguar lasted as long as it did but the author having a tenure contract would clear that up.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yu yu hakusho is my favorite shounen series period, however I've only watched the anime. Is there anything new I'd get out of reading the manga, or was it a pretty faithful adaptation?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yu yu hakusho is my favorite shounen series period, however I've only watched the anime. Is there anything new I'd get out of reading the manga, or was it a pretty faithful adaptation?

If memory serves right, the epilouge was a bit diffrent and the pre-spirit decetcive stuff was extended with a few minor details fanegled.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I remember that some parts are a bit more gruesome in the manga (such as what Hiei ultimately does to Mukuro's abusive father).

I love YYH a lot. I still think it's the only time I've truly enjoyed a tournament arc in a shounen story; everything else feels like a pretender. Man does the quality fall off a cliff once (Sensui arc) Yusuke is revived a second time though. It's almost jarring how different it is before/after.

Overall though I'll even go out on a limb and say that I like YYH more than HxH, if only because it never became the shuffling corpse that HxH has become ever since Greed Island ended. Even that would have probably been forgivable if not for the terrible release schedule and artwork.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I remember that some parts are a bit more gruesome in the manga (such as what Hiei ultimately does to Mukuro's abusive father).

I love YYH a lot. I still think it's the only time I've truly enjoyed a tournament arc in a shounen story; everything else feels like a pretender. Man does the quality fall off a cliff once (Sensui arc) Yusuke is revived a second time though. It's almost jarring how different it is before/after.

Overall though I'll even go out on a limb and say that I like YYH more than HxH, if only because it never became the shuffling corpse that HxH has become ever since Greed Island ended. Even that would have probably been forgivable if not for the terrible release schedule and artwork.

Coincidentally that's exactly where Togashi wanted to end it, yeah. I don't remember if he mentioned half-assing it deliberately as a gently caress you to Jump, or if he was just that tired and burnt out.

Also personally, I really liked the chimera ant arc, especially after I reread it in one go once it was done, with the redrawn volume scans instead of the WSJ scribbles. Togashi experimented with another way of narrating that I think worked really well for it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The brief election arc was great, though. It took a lot of the shine off Ging, showing just how much of an rear end in a top hat he was when people weren't describing how great he is for Gon's benefit. It turned out that pretty much everyone who knew him hated his guts, to the point that Leorio almost became the head of the hunter organization on a platform of punching Ging in the face.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah the election arc was seriously great and just made me like Ging more because it brought him down from the typical untouchable pedestal a lot of comics put their rarely-seen-hero-mentor-figures on, and was funny as hell too. Also the gang running the gently caress away from nen zombies.

A lot of us would be less salty about HxH if it just wasn't so drat good. I've never read YKK, does it hold up even today?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 31, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Pierson posted:

Yeah the election arc was seriously great and just made me like Ging more because it brought him down from the typical untouchable pedestal a lot of comics put their rarely-seen-hero-mentor-figures on, and was funny as hell too. Also the gang running the gently caress away from nen zombies.

A lot of us would be less salty about HxH if it just wasn't so drat good. I've never read YKK, does it hold up even today?

You mean Yu Yu Hakusho, not Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, right? :v:

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

DrSunshine posted:

You mean Yu Yu Hakusho, not Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, right? :v:

Because the latter is infinitely better and holds up incredibly well.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment
I'm watching the YYH anime with a friend right now and I think it holds up very well. It is very 90s, and it shows its age in some places, but I'm finding it pretty addicting. The writing is not as sophisticated as HxH but the characters are a lot of fun. My friend and I both agree that we're enjoying it more now than we originally did when we were the target audience, middle-schoolers, actually.

YKK is beautiful and there's no other manga quite like it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I rewatched the anime 6 or 7 years ago when Funimation finished it (which was significant because it meant there was a translation you could actually understand for the final few arcs for the first time) and I thought it was great. Until the aforementioned instant drop in quality.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I never watched YYH but tried to read the manga recently. I got through like 2 rounds of the tournament before giving up, it felt so crappy and one dimensional and predictable and just didn't seem to ever improve. Maybe it was just bad translation or something but I really don't understand the popularity.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ZerodotJander posted:

I never watched YYH but tried to read the manga recently. I got through like 2 rounds of the tournament before giving up, it felt so crappy and one dimensional and predictable and just didn't seem to ever improve. Maybe it was just bad translation or something but I really don't understand the popularity.

I felt this way with HxH. I just don't understand why it's popular. Everyone I talk to says that it's because it's a great shonen series with good action and creative fights, and maybe if I just looked at the pictures I would agree. But the mangaka felt necessary to include text boxes in practically every scene to narrate just what was going on. I felt it was telling the story a lot more than showing. Am I alone in this feeling?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I read the election arc when people were raving about it and was completely uninterested, but I guess that doesn't really count as giving it a fair shot.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

pandaK posted:

I felt this way with HxH. I just don't understand why it's popular. Everyone I talk to says that it's because it's a great shonen series with good action and creative fights, and maybe if I just looked at the pictures I would agree. But the mangaka felt necessary to include text boxes in practically every scene to narrate just what was going on. I felt it was telling the story a lot more than showing. Am I alone in this feeling?

Like everything "show don't tell" is a suggestion, not a rule. Togashi (and Mori Kouji, and Itagaki Keisuke, to name some others) are really good at using the third person omniscient narration style to carry stories. If you don't like it then that's a shame, but but I think that saying his narrative style is bad just because he has a lot of text boxes is kinda, I dunno, missing the point, in my opinion.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

pandaK posted:

Togashi's villains are his greatest strength in my opinion; certainly many were memorable in YYH, but I think it was especially apparent in HxH with the Genei Ryodan. He could craft characters that were at once repulsive and yet extremely fascinating, decisively abhorrent and yet easy to root for. The TV show Hannibal springs to mind as a loose sort of comparison to that feeling. Anyway, that was a big reason I came to enjoy his works; I always seemed to like the most unconventional or ostensibly the more unlikeable characters the most (Kuwabara was easily my favorite in YYH for example).

None of the big bads after the Genei Ryodan ever seemed to measure up, which was one reason why I lost interest with HxH over time.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 1, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I dunno, I loved the Ryodan but I thought it was cool how Togashi branched out and didn't have subsequent antagonists be "like the Ryodan, but more powerful/eviller!!" and I liked them equally as much in their own way. Meruem and the royal guards were amazing and even Pariston, that smarmy jerk, was very amusing to read. That said the Ryodan were definitely great characters and it's a shame there's not really any room to fit them into the current arc (if Togashi ever continues it).

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hey guys, did you like Pacific Rim? Well, this is a lot like if you mashed together Pacific Rim with the human-transformation thing from Attack on Titan, and put it through a Shonen Jump wringer of sparkles and boyish optimism: Kiriwo Terrible. It's mindless shonen fun, and I enjoyed it. :)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Hey guys, did you like Pacific Rim? Well, this is a lot like if you mashed together Pacific Rim with the human-transformation thing from Attack on Titan, and put it through a Shonen Jump wringer of sparkles and boyish optimism: Kiriwo Terrible. It's mindless shonen fun, and I enjoyed it. :)
In this thing's defence, the human transformation thing (as well as AoT's to a given extent) has common ancestry in the likes of Ultraman (there's a heavy Kamen Rider bent to it too with the human experiment angle) .

That said, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt as far as pinching it from AoT.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

In this thing's defence, the human transformation thing (as well as AoT's to a given extent) has common ancestry in the likes of Ultraman (there's a heavy Kamen Rider bent to it too with the human experiment angle) .

That said, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt as far as pinching it from AoT if only because it'll probably get the axe before to long for not being a complete write off as is standard Jump COA.

Honestly, if I was a comic author in Japan in 2014, I'd stay the gently caress away from Jump. They were always a bit crap at keeping quality works (and calling time on the stuff that was milked to death) but something snapped after they let AoT slip through their fingers.

Why do people keep saying Jump didn't recognize Attack on Titan's potential or whatever? They said it was a good series when Isayama brought it to them, but they turned it down because it didn't fit with Jump's themes. Which is completely correct. Jump's motto is Friendship, Effort, Victory; you can argue that Death Note didn't fit that motto and was still a big hit anyway, but it was a massive gamble even with an established artist assisting a writer who had at least done one work before, whereas Attack on Titan is Isayama's first work period.

Besides, the draft he submitted to Jump had some really bad art.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 3, 2014

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

AnonSpore posted:

Jump's motto is Friendship, Effort, Victory; you can argue that Death Note didn't fit that motto

Friendship with a death god, Effort into your endless schemes and plans, and the eventual Victory of the law over your genocidal madness :colbert:

coathat
May 21, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Why do people keep saying Jump didn't recognize Attack on Titan's potential or whatever? They said it was a good series when Isayama brought it to them, but they turned it down because it didn't fit with Jump's themes. Which is completely correct. Jump's motto is Friendship, Effort, Victory; you can argue that Death Note didn't fit that motto and was still a big hit anyway, but it was a massive gamble even with an established artist assisting a writer who had at least done one work before, whereas Attack on Titan is Isayama's first work period.

Really imagine how awful it would look if it was a weekly series.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Hands in the air, I Mistook the phrase "Put through a Shoenen Jump Wringer" to mean it's being run in Jump as opposed to Sunday so yeah, that was my bad.

And you say that about AoT not fitting Jump and what have you but I'm pretty sure that's of little solace to the family of the dood who had final say on AoT running in Jump.

KoB
May 1, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

The series in general has some really bad art.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Holy gently caress the newest chapter of Koe no Katachi is even more depressing then ever. When her deafness is discovered the father and his family basically go "this is your fault as the mother we're going to abandon you" leaving the mother on her own, pregnant with his second child.

Like, holy poo poo, I know Japan has a dodgy reputation when it comes to making the family seem normal and honorable but can someone really abandon their children/wife like that?

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013
So today I found a manga that I feel should have been popular but didn't drum up enough interest when it was released:

It's called Run Day Burst and it's by the same guy who did Toto!, another overlooked Shonen series that basically took the Wizard of Oz name and ran rampant with it. I liked Toto! a lot from what I read, though I never went back to finish it. Run Day Burst, on the other hand, is Wacky Races in manga format, and while that's not really saying much, I can't think of another Shonen series besides Steel Ball Run that ever went into race territory for their conflict, animes like Redline or old school manga like Speed Racer notwithstanding.

The only problem is that it's only been translated into French since it ended in 2012. And because nobody cared about it when it was released, no one picked it up to translate either, so the only thing available is a 70-ish page preview on Square Enix's official manga page. I hate posting images on this thread from a series that's basically non-existent outside of French or Japanese editions, but I also figured someone might be interested in a racing Shonen that's not focused on meticulous automotive detailing.

Next-Jin Engine fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oh hey! I loved Toto and really enjoyed its short 4-volume run. The guy has a really neat artstyle, vaguely reminds me of Oumagadoki Zoo and Barrage.