Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ksrugi
Mar 21, 2010
For you filthy, casual plebs (like me) that may not know how to proceed with all this new content:
http://imgur.com/SmlaEky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Why are people surprised with the instance lag and confused by the source? They specifically noted in the patch that they were completely re-working how the instancing servers work, including dynamic allocation, which means the routing tables for specific instances are no longer fixed.

It's not your network, it's not something mysterious, they're working on the guts of the instancing system and I'm sure they'll patch it out (or roll it back) when they figure out where it's barfing rather than have people unable to play the new content properly.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
Maybe when you release a big content update, leave infrastructure changes for a maintenance update further down the road once the content has had a chance to be played a few times? I'm not surprised by it, but a combination of shiny new things to do + crippling lag that makes said things impossible is pretty frustrating.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

URL grey tea posted:

Maybe when you release a big content update, leave infrastructure changes for a maintenance update further down the road once the content has had a chance to be played a few times? I'm not surprised by it, but a combination of shiny new things to do + crippling lag that makes said things impossible is pretty frustrating.

I never said it wasn't frustrating or was a good implementation decision. Having my abilities barf 25-50% of the time as a BLM is extremely frustrating... But I don't understand why people think it's some mysterious network lag. Square was clear that this change was the main reason they needed a 25 hour downtime.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Does anyone have a link to videos of the different racial animations? I'm considering changing from a catboy to either a roegadyn or a lalafell, but I'm not sure who has better monk and warrior animations. The catboy ones are so good but sometimes you just wanna be a little/big person in a world full of felines.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Now is the time to level your DPS classes folks. Queue times for roulette are 5-10 minutes.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Does anyone have a link to videos of the different racial animations? I'm considering changing from a catboy to either a roegadyn or a lalafell, but I'm not sure who has better monk and warrior animations. The catboy ones are so good but sometimes you just wanna be a little/big person in a world full of felines.

Combat animations don't vary a whole lot between races. At most, the idle battle pose is different.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Square Enix posted:

Currrent Known Issue Regarding the Delay Experienced in Certain Instances (Mar. 29)

After the release of patch 2.2, we have confirmed an issue wherein players experience a huge delay in their character’s actions while in certain instances.

We understand that this issue needs to be addressed with priority so we are currently working around the clock to investigate and address this matter.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

I'm honestly glad to see them announcing that they're aware there's an issue. Sadly they don't have a timeline on a fix, but - hey, they're working on it.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

:argh: I can't cap Soldiery in time if they don't fix this.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

:argh: I can't cap Soldiery in time if they don't fix this.

Shouldn't have ground out those atma then. :colbert:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Klades posted:

Combat animations don't vary a whole lot between races. At most, the idle battle pose is different.

That being said Lalafell is always the answer to "What race should I change to?". They're the best.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So, Big Fishing.

It seems it works something like unspoiled nodes in that you have all these fish that can only be caught at certain times, with certain lures, in certain weather, in certain locations, however there seems to be absolutely no hints anywhere as to what goes where.

Is there anybody anywhere compiling information on these to better hunt them down?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I knew I would hate myself if I tried to sit down and do the Atma grind all at once, so once I got the quest I figured I'd just get the Atma for any areas I happened to pass through and not worry about it too much otherwise. I went to Outer La Noscea for the kobold quest and now a good two or three hours later I still don't have the drat thing. It's the worst. It may be the first time I've looked at something in this game and thought "who the hell thought this was a good idea?" (Except maybe for the insane cutscene bloat during the last two story dungeons.)

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 29, 2014

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

seannykun posted:

lovely connection. I don't have any issues avoiding aoe or anything. A lot of people with that problem use battleping or wtfast.

And, for the love of all that is unholy, install Leatrix.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Line Feed posted:

When I realized that was the same fucker I oiled up back at those hot springs so many levels ago I flipped. Never thought I'd see him again.

WAIT, THAT WAS HILDEBRAND?!

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

WAIT, THAT WAS HILDEBRAND?!

No. It was his dad.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
You just didn't know he was Hildibrand's dad at the time. He was just that creepy old guy at the hot springs.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

now the real grind begins :unsmigghh:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Okay I'm seriously starting to think my zenith being Prismed IS preventing me from getting Atmas...

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Celador posted:

Died 4 times tanking Halitali normal last night because the healers cures weren't landing on me despite his MP dropping and his claim that he was spamming me with Cure. Instance servers are hosed right now.

Dungeoning right now is suffering. Ended up in a 70 minute Longstop normal mode run yesterday because everybody in the party kept teleporting all over the place, heals and abilities not landing, tank was having issues generating threat, DPS couldn't DPS, it was pretty awful. And that's even without me and tank buddy being silly and running the dungeon in the nude.
(Running longstop as an undergeared white mage is suffering in of itself, there are not enough ethers in the world.)
Just got out of an Ifrit run as a Scholar where it would take 20 seconds between me hitting any ability, and the ability actually hitting. The general strategy ended up being to stand around, and facetank all of the AOEs, because basically nobody could avoid those either.

Glad that SE is addressing the problem though.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 30, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Volt Catfish posted:

Okay I'm seriously starting to think my zenith being Prismed IS preventing me from getting Atmas...

Nope. It's just because atmas are hard to get.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Volt Catfish posted:

I prism'd my gae bolg to a mog fork and got an atma after about an hour and half.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
2.2 made me get back on my Monk and i got just enough myth from trading philo to get zenith and i was wondering is it worth my time to get Atma on a Monk with zenith and 2 myth pieces? Like i tried fates for a few hours yesterday and got nothing to show for it is there any chance SE will increase the drop chance or is it safe to say it'll always be pure rng?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Smornstein posted:

2.2 made me get back on my Monk and i got just enough myth from trading philo to get zenith and i was wondering is it worth my time to get Atma on a Monk with zenith and 2 myth pieces? Like i tried fates for a few hours yesterday and got nothing to show for it is there any chance SE will increase the drop chance or is it safe to say it'll always be pure rng?

Theres a 60+ page thread on the english forum and a 91 page thread in the japanese forum complaining about the poo poo atma drop rates. I imagine we'll learn very soon if it will change considering how responsive the dev team is.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Ohtsam posted:

Theres a 60+ page thread on the english forum and a 91 page thread in the japanese forum complaining about the poo poo atma drop rates. I imagine we'll learn very soon if it will change considering how responsive the dev team is.

Plus all the other smaller threads. If they don't change it we can assume they are trying to take the game in an FFXI direction.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

AlmightyBob posted:

Plus all the other smaller threads. If they don't change it we can assume they are trying to take the game in an FFXI direction.

That or they felt that giving an incentive to do a bunch of FATEs is conducive to the long term health of the game since it provides a better experience for new people :shobon:

There's a lot of reasons, many of them quite rational if potentially misguided, to do what they did that aren't "I'M TAKING YOU BACK TO THE BLASTED HELLSCAPE OF FFXI HAIL TANAKA HAIL SATAN"

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Captain Oblivious posted:

That or they felt that giving an incentive to do a bunch of FATEs is conducive to the long term health of the game since it provides a better experience for new people :shobon:

There's a lot of reasons, many of them quite rational if potentially misguided, to do what they did that aren't "I'M TAKING YOU BACK TO THE BLASTED HELLSCAPE OF FFXI HAIL TANAKA HAIL SATAN"

There's basically zero chance that it doesn't get changed to, at the bare minimum, some variant of the same grind length with a clearer indicator. Five hours of fate grinding without having anything to show for it, or any idea of how much closer you are is absolutely inexcusable.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Ultimately the problem with the Atma drops right now is the sheer, absurd variability of the experience. Of the three atma I have now, two of them I managed to get within three FATEs; the other one took three hours. In theory having the weapon upgrades as a long-term goal for players to work towards and a way to incentive running FATEs makes sense, but right now it doesn't really work as a long-term goal you can just casually work on (because making any progress at all requires you to do something you would never have a reason to do otherwise until the RNG blesses you with a random drop, which can take hours) and while it does encourage running FATEs it also kind of makes you hate them.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
The hell is this 8 person requirement for Moogle and Leviathan extreme? How's a guy supposed to practice without random pugs? :mad:

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

AlmightyBob posted:

<developer> did <thing> I don't like, they're steering this game towards <other game I don't like>

HelloPlatypus
Apr 2, 2010

GIRL
SHE'S A GIRL
OBVIOUSLY JUST LOOK AT HER
All aboard the Atma train! Couldn't have done it without my little buddy's heals along the way.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Atma is working exactly as designed, its so shutin losers who do all the content in the first 6 hours its up have something to do instead of whining. It's supposed to take a ridiculous amount of time. Normal people can get their Atma in a couple of patches.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Whizbang posted:

Atma is working exactly as designed, its so shutin losers who do all the content in the first 6 hours its up have something to do instead of whining. It's supposed to take a ridiculous amount of time. Normal people can get their Atma in a couple of patches.

Except, in my social groups, it's mostly the more casual players who have given up. If you're not a super hardcore player, there's only so long you can do things with no tangible reward before you log off and go play something else.

Hell, i'm disabled and don't get out much, so I was definitely planning to be one of the early adopters, but after 60+ fates in East Shroud with nothing to show for it, i'm done trying to actively acquire the drat thing.

Niton fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 30, 2014

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So it really is faster to just wipe until you hit 25% to do primals. Garuda went down soooo fast. You can also just survive the shrieks without even getting in the bubble.
So much HP.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Niton posted:

Except, in my social groups, it's mostly the more casual players who have given up. If you're not a super hardcore player, there's only so long you can do things with no tangible reward before you log off and go play something else.

That's what he said. It's for the hardcore people who go all out and poopsock, and those that don't want to do that will probably be able to get it in a reasonable time in a few patches (when they change it)

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So it really is faster to just wipe until you hit 25% to do primals. Garuda went down soooo fast. You can also just survive the shrieks without even getting in the bubble.
So much HP.

That fight sure was fun as melee, though at 25% echo buff was doing some pretty sweet damage on the boss and adds.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Comic posted:

That's what he said. It's for the hardcore people who go all out and poopsock, and those that don't want to do that will probably be able to get it in a reasonable time in a few patches (when they change it)

I am normally that kind of person. However, this grind is so bad that i've found myself aligning with more casual players in simply not caring. Of the more hardcore players I know, 3 or 4 people who have finished it (the fastest being 17 hours), and a decent amount of people in the 4-8 Atma range. Many of those people have either already stopped focusing on FATEs, or are about to.

In that sense, he's correct - the hardcore players are the ones still making their initial push - but most of those simply went on to do other things instead, just like more casual players. And everyone i've talked to who's stopped has roughly the same opinion: "I'll give it another shot if they change it." But he's saying that the change is an "if", not a "when", and even among those who have finished, "this is a good design" is a very minority opinion.

Niton fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 30, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I know a lot of people who are enjoying the time killing while they wait on someone to make it through the various coils and make some guides. It makes me kindof sad because I really enjoy pioneering things and tactics when stuff first pops, but I'm not in the right groups to be in on that. I remember when 2.1 came out and we nearly got Ultima within a few hours of the patch. None of us had a clue what to expect and we drat near beat it. That was a blast.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
To make a statement that this makes the game like XI, a game that sets you back XP when you die, that for the longest time almost required a leveling party, that had people using item swapping programs, that had a group fighting a boss for multiple days because it was "Working as intended", that had an almost random crafting system where you could get the item you were aiming for or somehow craft something stupidly expensive and then have to give it to the person for the initial trade amount, and going about by being pissed off and unsubscribing from it is really the most childish thing that I can think of.

You've seen the slides from GDC recently where they've said that they need to listen to the players and make them happy, and changes will be made accordingly. That's what will happen, but it won't happen right away, as you have the hardcore people who wanted the grind there doing it. Will the hardcore people bitch about it when it's changed, yes. Will they keep on playing? As long as there is new things to kill and gear to acquire, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Apropos of nothing else, you owe it to yourself to do the Battle on Big Bridge raid. Holy poo poo, I've never laughed so hard in my life, that was delightful. Whomever worked on that obviously played and loved FFV Advance.

• Locked thread