Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Gavelkind isn't supposed to work, it's supposed to make you hate gavelkind so you want to reform your faith and switch to something else. It's one of several lingering aspects of the game that are unfortunately broken by design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

DarkCrawler posted:

...does anyone else think that the way gavelkind is implemented right now is kind of nuts? Playing as a Norse, it seems that my second son will get literally everything but the main title/county. That doesn't sound exactly right to me. And I can't give anything except my main title to my first son. I mean he'll still end up ruling over no.2 but the second son gets more lands and claim to the main title, doesn't really sound like a sensible method of succession to me. Plus it fragments my realm which I hate. It's not game-breaking or anything, just weird.

Supposedly you can fix this by landing your younger sons.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DarkCrawler posted:

...does anyone else think that the way gavelkind is implemented right now is kind of nuts? Playing as a Norse, it seems that my second son will get literally everything but the main title/county. That doesn't sound exactly right to me. And I can't give anything except my main title to my first son. I mean he'll still end up ruling over no.2 but the second son gets more lands and claim to the main title, doesn't really sound like a sensible method of succession to me. Plus it fragments my realm which I hate. It's not game-breaking or anything, just weird.

Yeah, it sucks. If you've been putting off forming another title equal to your primary title, try doing it now. Your second son will get that title and any de jure counties/duchies/vassals within that and be independent while your first son gets everything else. It sucks having your realm split, but you'll get claims on his primary title and it's a lot easier to deal with that than what you're facing. The logic behind Gavelkind is semi-reasonable when you have multiples of your top-level title or when you have a LOT of sons, but it's really, really terrible when you have a small but non-one number of sons and only one top-level title.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I'm in the middle of a really successful Scandinavia game where I just broke free of gavelkind despite the last minute realization that all your kingdom level titles have to be switched instead of just your Empire level title. I managed to keep the realm together despite losing Sweden to gavelkind twice by usurping it from my brothers, both of whom were actually really understanding and didn't cause any trouble from their new, lower positions. It was actually pretty fun in general raiding my way into enough moral authority to reform and then conquering Ireland and Scotland to get various king/dukedoms to give away to my second, third, and fourth sons. Right now I plan on granting the British Isles independence once the religion flips entirely to Norse or whenever it gets inconvenient to hold on to them, I won't be too torn up if an independence faction pops up since it'll just mean more autonomous Norse neighbors.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

DarkCrawler posted:

I was thinking that myself because I'm sure I saw a loading screen saying under gavelkind the land is split equally among children. Pretty sure my second son inheriting the entire demense and my first son getting the capital county isn't an equal split.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Thrasophius posted:

I was thinking that myself because I'm sure I saw a loading screen saying under gavelkind the land is split equally among children. Pretty sure my second son inheriting the entire demense and my first son getting the capital county isn't an equal split.

I think it's titles that are evenly split, right? So if you have like 1 Empire, 1 Kingdom, 1 Duchy, 5 counties, you'd get the Empire, Kingdom, Duchy, capital county for 4 and the other guy would get 4 counties. Or is it even different from that?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Kersch posted:

I think it's titles that are evenly split, right? So if you have like 1 Empire, 1 Kingdom, 1 Duchy, 5 counties, you'd get the Empire, Kingdom, Duchy, capital county for 4 and the other guy would get 4 counties. Or is it even different from that?

It can usually end up being the heir getting only the kingdom title and capital and the other brother getting the rest of Ireland as an example. Gavelkind isn't so broken it's giving you entire islands.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
One of my vassal's provinces has a "religious unrest" modifier that gives it +50% revolt risk and doesn't have any expiration date. As a result, I've been getting a fuckton of revolts in that province and it's really annoying. So, I take it there's an event that removes it. How can I speed up this event happening?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Pakled posted:

One of my vassal's provinces has a "religious unrest" modifier that gives it +50% revolt risk and doesn't have any expiration date. As a result, I've been getting a fuckton of revolts in that province and it's really annoying. So, I take it there's an event that removes it. How can I speed up this event happening?

75% MA, and province converted to the right religion. Don't ever let your MA drop below 40%, which is when that infinite duration modifier gets applied to wrong religion provinces.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Re: gavelkind, keep in mind you can (mostly) arrange how the titles will be distributed by doling out titles to your sons until they're not heir to anything on mouseover. This works well if you're expanding rapidly and can land your sons, but landing your sons also makes for strong pretenders. Like others have said it's just meant to be a pain in the rear end fractious succession system that encourages you to not be unreformed pagan.

Pakled posted:

You can't, don't play in India until Paradox releases a patch. The revolts will only get worse as you expand since the modifier never ever goes away.

Edit:

SeaTard posted:

75% MA, and province converted to the right religion. Don't ever let your MA drop below 40%, which is when that infinite duration modifier gets applied to wrong religion provinces.

The problem here is it's very difficult to maintain above 75 MA as one of the Indian religions since you lack a religious head. You'll need all the holy sites which will take quite a while unless you're Hindu. Hindus and Buddhists can also Holy War for Authority, Jains are basically totally boned until a patch is released.

Also, I believe the modifier is applied to SAME religion provinces if your MA is below 40%, not wrong-religion.

I'm not sure the event to remove the Religious Unrest modifier will even trigger if you manage to maintain 75+ MA, I've heard reports of people having high MA for decades and still dealing with constant revolts.

Bottom line is it's bugged/overtuned and you should wait for a patch for this and other bugs, I'd say.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 29, 2014

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012

Pakled posted:

Someone posted a mod a few pages back that adds events to help get rid of that stuff. Try using it as a stopgap until Paradox releases a patch to fix the problem.

Link here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ew79ral9t9wczr9/cure%20unrest.7z

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Wasn't Ibadi supposed to become a non-heresy in this patch? It still says it's a Sunni heresy for me.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Robhol posted:

Someone posted a mod a few pages back that adds events to help get rid of that stuff. Try using it as a stopgap until Paradox releases a patch to fix the problem.

Link here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ew79ral9t9wczr9/cure%20unrest.7z

Thanks for the help, especially this. I'll give that a shot.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nightblade posted:

Supposedly you can fix this by landing your younger sons.

You can manage gavelkind. If you are a king and give your younger son(s) a duchy and all counties in it, while only keeping the capital duchy and the counties in there (so no counties outside the capital duchy), then your firstborn inherits the whole capital duchy.

If you have 5 sons it might be a bit difficult to find 4 duchies to give out of course.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

gently caress me it's hard to get killed. -100 from all my vassals and court, a 15 intrigue -100 spymaster, and a plot against me, still alive after 4 years. I just want this Orthodox fool to die so his Norse half-brother can inherit whatever is left after this shitstorm of running stuff into the ground.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Pellisworth posted:

I'm not sure the event to remove the Religious Unrest modifier will even trigger if you manage to maintain 75+ MA, I've heard reports of people having high MA for decades and still dealing with constant revolts.

The removal event (RoI.3536, RoI.3537 & RoI.3539) is only every triggered from the "on_yearly_pulse" clause in common/on_actions/00_on_actions.txt.

Now. I'm not entirely sure how yearly pulse events work in CK2, but if it's the same as it was in EUIII (every year you get one event randomly selected from the list, weighted by... its weight)... that event has a 0.4% chance of firing. A year. To clear one province. That's an effective MTTH of 173 years.

Anecdotally, I now have (as a Hindu with 80+% moral authority) three or four converted provinces with the modifier that I've been sitting on for a decade at least, and I've never seen it fire. :shrug:

[e: okay, so it's invisible, so you can't see it fire- but those modifiers haven't gone anywhere]

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 29, 2014

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

So I'm a big whiny baby who gets upset every time the king of France forms the kingdom of Aquitaine when I'm playing from a 1066 start. How do I add the creation condition to Aquitaine that leaves it so only Occitan cultures can create it?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Sistergodiva posted:

Any tips for reforming pagan? I started out as the count of gotland and I have 3 Castles there and own the rest of the duchy (Närke, Tjust and Östergötland I think). Most of Sweden is owned by a Sumeniski king, but Denmark owns a lot of Finland, Norway and a lot of littles bits in the Baltic states, England and some of northern Germany.

Should I join Denmark and destroy it from within?

How good are prepared invasions? Will they give me enough event troops to actually do something about the huge country I try to invade?

It kinda feels like I have to take all the holy sites in one rulers life since I'm stuck at gavelkind.

Raid a lot to fund wars, pounce on the weakest one in the Scandinavian Empire and start rebuilding it. Once you have done that you'll hold the 3 required holy sites, at that point you should also be able to field a sizable retinue to use when raiding. Since it rebuilds itself to fast you can assault-siege churches when raiding at a rapid pace and get the required 50% (?) religion power.

That's my tactic atleast :)

Edit: If the powers in Scandinavia is way too large, yeah i owuld just swear fealty and manouver myself to the top of that and continue making Skandinavia.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Blarghalt posted:

RoI finally convinced me that I should try my hand at modding. Only just started, but I've got big plans.

Big plans.

Now I really just want melting pot/cultural assimilation events for a ton of unlikely culture combinations.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Dongattack posted:

Raid a lot to fund wars, pounce on the weakest one in the Scandinavian Empire and start rebuilding it. Once you have done that you'll hold the 3 required holy sites, at that point you should also be able to field a sizable retinue to use when raiding. Since it rebuilds itself to fast you can assault-siege churches when raiding at a rapid pace and get the required 50% (?) religion power.

Edit: If the powers in Scandinavia is way too large, yeah i owuld just swear fealty and manouver myself to the top of that and continue making Skandinavia.

Thanks!

I'm currently trying to survive as a 10 year old who's only heir is his 45 year old aunt. At least I have Uppsala and Maere. Not sure if I should go for the Danish site or prepare an invasion for Germany.

Roc
Nov 8, 2010

Pakled posted:

Thanks for the help, especially this. I'll give that a shot.

It's triggered through the intrigue menu, you have to be at least 16 years old and not in jail. It will cost you piety, prestige or a combination of both. It only removes the problems in your direct demesne provinces however the AI can also activate this for themselves if you are concerned about having to manage the rebellions on behalf of your vassals.

Roc fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 29, 2014

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Dongattack posted:

Since it rebuilds itself to fast you can assault-siege churches when raiding at a rapid pace and get the required 50% (?) religion power.

I feel incredibly dumb, having played this game pretty much since release, but you can choose which holding you want to siege in a county?

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW
So finally managed to mend the great schism in my Byzantine game (which I thought would be a lot harder going from count to emperor, considering the free duchy revoking) and after Catholicism becomes a heresy, like two days later an event pops up telling me that Orthodoxy is now a catholic heresy and Catholicism is triumphant.

This is a bug right? Or did I gently caress something up?

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I feel incredibly dumb, having played this game pretty much since release, but you can choose which holding you want to siege in a county?

You can't. He just mean that every church holding you siege gives the Norse +1% Moral Authority.

Though the assault bit sounds interesting, never done much of that, never really understood when it's good or not.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

PootieTang posted:

So finally managed to mend the great schism in my Byzantine game (which I thought would be a lot harder going from count to emperor, considering the free duchy revoking) and after Catholicism becomes a heresy, like two days later an event pops up telling me that Orthodoxy is now a catholic heresy and Catholicism is triumphant.

Nope, not a bug. Just a weird interaction between two mechanics. Whenever a heresy outnumbers an orthodoxy, it becomes the new orthodoxy, and there tend to be a lot more Catholic provinces than Orthodox.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

PootieTang posted:

You were a victim of very bad luck. Because Catholicism became a heresy of Orthodoxy, it became able to supplant mainline Orthodoxy by maintaining a sufficient majority of adherents. Normally, mending the schism is supposed to convert enough Catholics to non-heretical Orthodoxy to prevent that from happening. That didn't happen enough.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sistergodiva posted:

You can't. He just mean that every church holding you siege gives the Norse +1% Moral Authority.

Though the assault bit sounds interesting, never done much of that, never really understood when it's good or not.

Assaulting is good when you outnumber the defenders by 10 to 1 or more, or when you are are in a major hurry and don't care about losing half your dudes to get one holding quickly (for example if you need a little bit more warscore and a big enemy army is approaching).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Seoinin posted:

Last time I managed to get a crazy good heir, he was poisoned by some pissant count with whom I had no prior interaction. Why? I have no idea. But man, let me tell you, exterminating someone's entire bloodline in a fit of pique gets expensive.

Worth it though. So worth it.

psychofishhead
Oct 30, 2010

Hey paradox, you might want to make it so that revolter titles don't count towards the "It's better to be the Emperor" and "It's Good to be the King" achievements. It's stupidly easy to get those now :)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

marktheando posted:

Assaulting is good when you outnumber the defenders by 10 to 1 or more, or when you are are in a major hurry and don't care about losing half your dudes to get one holding quickly (for example if you need a little bit more warscore and a big enemy army is approaching).

Of if you have a ton of archers/horse archers.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Sistergodiva posted:

Assaulting kills a lot of troops and with like a regular army its almost never worth it unless you vastly outnumber the defenders, like 10 to 1 or something. But retinue when they start to reach critical mass for raiding, which is usually something like 5000 men, regenerate so fast that you can keep assaulting most things and make boatloads of cash. And moral authority for sacking a different religions church. Ireland is usually a good place to go since its often very fractured.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sistergodiva posted:

When you have lots of archers. One of the reason the Welsh/English cultural retinue is so good.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Civilized Fishbot posted:

You were a victim of very bad luck. Because Catholicism became a heresy of Orthodoxy, it became able to supplant mainline Orthodoxy by maintaining a sufficient majority of adherents. Normally, mending the schism is supposed to convert enough Catholics to non-heretical Orthodoxy to prevent that from happening. That didn't happen enough.

That's lame as gently caress. Is there a good way to spread a lot of orthodoxy around? It seems kind of cheap that the Catholic's can just switch it back on me like that without having to conquer every holy city like I did.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

PootieTang posted:

Other people covered it, but sidenote: Orthodox becoming a heresy of Catholicism is like the best possible outcome for a world conquest as you can then convert, get your own vassal pope and have either a holy war or Pope-sanctioned claim on any title in the entire Christian world.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Anybody modding probably knows about this already, but I just became very happy when I learned that custom retinue units can be made, and not just limited by culture: any valid scripting condition works.

Which means that it was incredibly easy to incorporate musketeer retinues into my timeline-extender mod. :getin:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PootieTang posted:

That's lame as gently caress. Is there a good way to spread a lot of orthodoxy around? It seems kind of cheap that the Catholic's can just switch it back on me like that without having to conquer every holy city like I did.

From what I remember when I looked at the event 2 months ago, the Catholic AI has a 75% chance of converting to Orthodoxy. You basically had really bad luck if few enough converted that Catholicism still had more provinces than Orthodoxy.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I think your concerns are a bit unfounded, Shah.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Are special units defined on a per culture basis and what happens if you get two types of special units? This may allow a mod idea I've had floating around to work.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Pakled posted:

I think your concerns are a bit unfounded, Shah.
Jesus christ, that face. :gonk:

Blarghalt posted:

More or less the same with the Normans. If you're king of England, Norman and your provinces are Saxon, the English melting pot event will kick off.
It doesn't require that you be the king. It just requires a Norman-cultured ruler who owns a Saxon-cultured province within the de-jure kingdom of England.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Knocked up one of my vassals's wife for the first time in this game today. He... does not like me very much anymore. Might have to get stabby.

• Locked thread