Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Ravane posted:

Meh, I played the Dark Souls once. Bad controls. I spent more time falling off cliffs than I did being killed by the monsters. Also, I didn't get what to do. There was no map or compass, where the hell was I supposed to go? All the characters spoke in vague riddles and I still don't get the plot.

Also I hate grinding.

Well if you are grinding in Dark Souls then you're approaching it wrong to begin with, and you're gonna have bad time. Thats probably the most meta of the games traps. At the start its a bit harder to tell where to go (they aren't riddles, youre told to do by other NPCs first thing to ring the bells) but you have to explore and get to know the areas while also taking cues from the game that you might heading in the wrong direction by things like a pitch black cavern with re-spawning skeletons. Demon Souls is a lot easier to get the hang of first, although whichever game you play first will always be the hardest because you're learning how to play the type of game it is.

Also the game has no plot. Well not in any traditional sense, and especially not one you'll coherently put together on first playthrough. Thats also part of the appeal. There aren't Dark Souls spoilers really. The plot is mostly told by an opening cinematic and then revealed piecemeal by the world and object descriptions along with various NPCs who you encounter them on their own pilgrimages throughout the game who have their own goals and talk about their own arcs rather than the big hero journey. Narrative is second to gameplay, but not neglected.... merely left open-ended like a great painting where so much of the enjoyment comes from internal curiosity and attempts to understand what was very elaborately and meticulously constructed.

One big thing that new players might not understand is that its meant to be a crowdsourced game. They want you checking things out on the internet if youre stuck on a boss or cant figure out how to get past a certain part. Its part of how they are able to create such a difficult (but entierly fair) worldspace, and while you can go through the game blind, that sounds about as unfun to me as playing through the game using a guide the entire time. Well, that and the parry system. drat new players should have really been explained that better. Also they should know that theyre gonna get F'd in the A. poo poo happens. Part of the fun is the game trolling you the ways it does things like Sen's Fortress or the first Seath battle.

Dark Souls is pretty much the definition of a perfect game to me. Its stands in the medium on its own without aping movies or even literature for popular memories. It just naturally utilizes all these aspects of game play to inform about the game itself, and most of all its just fun and designed to have a real skill level and difficulty curve (and not one based on grinding or unlockables, skill is something as real and important in the game as it is in, say, a fighting game for example.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I've only just started playing the first Dark Souls game (no spoilers please) and my god... This is the perfect game for me. Nothing has scratched this itch since Severance: Blade of Darkness, and that was poo poo compared to this.

If Dark Souls 2 is as good as the original then wow, because the original is an honest to god masterpiece of game design.

Don't forget to check out Demon's Souls for PS3 also. It was the spiritual precursor to Dark Souls and theyre functionally very, very, very similar games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

He was hilarious in the one episode of Scrubs I remember him in. I can't think of any other comedy he did, but I've always enjoyed his dramatic work.

And yeah, I'm willing to give a Bill Lawrence show a shot. I still have to catch up on Cougar Town. I completely lost track of it once it went to TBS. Is it still any good? I never hear anything about it.

I still like it. Season 4 was a little week but 5 is as good as it's ever been. Gotten a little cruder and goofier but it leaves me feeling really happy every week still, maybe more than any other show. I also recommend Lawrence's other TBS show, Ground Floor, which had a great first season (at least considering the state of modern multicams).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's a lot of words for a really obvious, low-effort troll.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ravane posted:

Meh, I played the Dark Souls once. Bad controls. I spent more time falling off cliffs than I did being killed by the monsters. Also, I didn't get what to do. There was no map or compass, where the hell was I supposed to go? All the characters spoke in vague riddles and I still don't get the plot.

Also I hate grinding.

The pilot of Surviving Jack looks pretty good. It stars Christopher Meloni (from Man of Steel), and he's actually decently funny.

You have to have a controller, and I hate controllers, but it feels so good with one I forget that hatred.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fun fact: the only thing that Dark Souls has in common with TV is that you can play the game on one.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

DivisionPost posted:

Go watch Wet Hot American Summer, it will blow your drat mind.

Hmm, I thought I heard "I'm gonna blow myself 'til I'm blind".

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
And the voice of that can of mixed veggies? H. Jon Benjamin.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

MrAristocrates posted:

Wow, yeah I totally missed that. Read that entirely straight as someone hearing the praise without understanding where it comes. Hah, serves me right for trying to be helpful for once.

Seems like Dark Souls has hit peak popularity recently so its been hitting peak obnoxiousness too (weirdly Ive even had non-gamer friends ask me about it). Ive actually seen all those complaints together before, even here on the forums where its been a katamari of love for those games since DeS. I've especially heard that complaint about losing souls all the time and having to grind a lot. A whole generation of people ruined by JRPGs... okay well if not for those they would have been ruined by a million other things anyway, but still, gently caress JRPGS.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

MrAristocrates posted:

I'm not trolling, that's actually my real opinion of the game.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

You have to have a controller, and I hate controllers, but it feels so good with one I forget that hatred.

Yeah, I played with a keyboard and mouse, and it was just really infuriating never having the camera where I can see properly. That's honestly the biggest reason I didn't like the game. I'll give it another try with a controller, then.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Well if you are grinding in Dark Souls then you're approaching it wrong to begin with, and you're gonna have bad time. Thats probably the most meta of the games traps. At the start its a bit harder to tell where to go (they aren't riddles, youre told to do by other NPCs first thing to ring the bells) but you have to explore and get to know the areas while also taking cues from the game that you might heading in the wrong direction by things like a pitch black cavern with re-spawning skeletons. Demon Souls is a lot easier to get the hang of first, although whichever game you play first will always be the hardest because you're learning how to play the type of game it is.

I spent most of my time alt-tabbing through walkthroughs and I just found it really tedious. Like in the very first part, After you cross the bridge with skeletons, you can go into a tower (past the first black knight) up to fight some dinosaur bull hybrid, or go down to fight this invincible super fast demon, or avoid him and run past a thousand diamond dudes with no idea where you're going.

I get that this game doesn't hold your hand while playing, but I think it's ridiculous that it expects you to make farfetched connections between random things. It's like playing an old school point and click where the only way to get by a puzzle is by reading the walkthrough because there's no logical sense to the puzzle. Go ring the bells? What bells, where are they? And what is the point of ringing them? What is a firekeeper anyway and how is it that only you can upgrade my estus flask? I just don't get the game. I don't get what I'm supposed to do, or where to go next.

Edit: Also, I didn't know you weren't supposed to grind. I figured if I trained on the skeletons and got enough souls, I could level up my health enough to take damage and not die in a single hit. But apparently, if you level up, the monsters level up too? Which is bs, because I know I'm a terrible gamer, but this just prevents me from never being able to win. I'm legitimately better off giving up because I'm never going to get better.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 29, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The annoying thing about the Law & Order graphic on Netflix is that its the season 20 cast, which they don't have the rights to.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I get this guy is playing Dark Souls wrong but take that to Games, literally every forum there talks about Dark Souls.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I've re-watched The West Wing a few times, but I always seem to forget about Mandy. I'll be watching the pilot and then bam, there she is, introduced with her lovely 90s generic rock music. Also, Elizabeth Moss is oddly really bad, which is a shame since I just finished watching her in Top of the Lake.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Ravane posted:

I'm not trolling, that's actually my real opinion of the game.

Yeah, I played with a keyboard and mouse, and it was just really infuriating never having the camera where I can see properly. That's honestly the biggest reason I didn't like the game. I'll give it another try with a controller, then.

I spent most of my time alt-tabbing through walkthroughs and I just found it really tedious. Like in the very first part, After you cross the bridge with skeletons, you can go into a tower (past the first black knight) up to fight some dinosaur bull hybrid, or go down to fight this invincible super fast demon, or avoid him and run past a thousand diamond dudes with no idea where you're going.

I get that this game doesn't hold your hand while playing, but I think it's ridiculous that it expects you to make farfetched connections between random things. It's like playing an old school point and click where the only way to get by a puzzle is by reading the walkthrough because there's no logical sense to the puzzle. Go ring the bells? What bells, where are they? And what is the point of ringing them? What is a firekeeper anyway and how is it that only you can upgrade my estus flask?

Edit: Also, I didn't know you weren't supposed to grind. I figured if I trained on the skeletons and got enough souls, I could level up my health enough to take damage and not die in a single hit. But apparently, if you level up, the monsters level up too? Which is bs, because I know I'm a terrible gamer, but this just prevents me from never being able to win. I'm legitimately better off giving up because I'm never going to get better.

Ah, I think I can see most of the reasons you didn't have such a good time.

Keyboard and mouse? Yieks. That must have been crazy frustrating, I think I've only ever seen one person post to say that they liked the game that way, everyone else rolls with a gamepad. IIRC, its says its even required on the steam page even though there really is kb+m settings just because of how frustrating those are.

Its all about being a crazy tough game and youre meant to crowd-source when stuck or general strategies/tips, but you shouldn't really be following a guide religiously. There are lots of parts where the game is communicating with you by design rather than statement, you just have to be listen with eyes, hands, and ears. For example, you learn about those bells as soon as you land from the prison of the dead and talk to that first NPC "The Crestfallen Merchant" who says that was his mission too but he gave up, which then should also show you a brief FMV of one of the bells a top a church. From there you could go towards those skeletons, but they are crazy tough, in brutal darkness, and even come back to life unless stopped by a certain type of weapon. Its the games way of shouting "not here yet, try exploring someone else first".

As long as you keep exploring, you realize you're left with a pretty linear path along the castle walls which leads you either the first boss, or you can use (IIRC the master key) to get down the tower and jump sequences a bit, but you're warned against by seeing HAVEL who is unfathomably powerful. Even if youre level 30 when you go around the normal way he's still gonna be kicking your rear end if you're not careful and havent learned the tactics but have just been brute forcing your way through the game. I can beat with a lvl 1 character in my starting gear just by parrying his every attack and backstabbing him (takes about 3 minutes of flawlessness but its all the same matter of timing), you learn it, and then its second nature to you. You probably aren't a bad gamer.... you just have to learn how to play this game and you'll be able to do the same to Havel one day too. So outside of HAVEL there, you have one choice going up where you face the first BOSS, who isnt too bad (especially if you remember the little things, like how you attacked the tutorial boss by jumping from up above...), who will then take you to a new castle area with two ways to explore but eventually leading the same location... the deeper castle where the church is, and the bell you're after.

Of course all that stuff about you wouldn't know your first time playing the game, and it all takes some time to figure out and explore, and yeah you get lost plenty at first, but thats really a huge part of the game to make you better at not messing up. Really instead of going from A to B you should be naturally exploring new areas on your own... get to know them as best you can and you'll find you wont be getting lost anymore (or when you do, then hit up the guide). This simultaneously is about forcing you into situations with these same enemies again and again where you get to know how to handle them without a second thought, and better at strategies with more powerful enemies.

About grinding.... Nah the monsters dont get stronger or the game go out of the way to punish you for grinding, its just about that being the brute force method which is pretty much always the wrong approach for the game even if you can get it to work sometimes. Its the most time consuming, least helpful, most enabling solution of poor playing strategy. You should level gradually and naturally as you beat bosses. If you do grind I'd recommend buying shards and upgrading weapons since those are far more important to powerful characters than levels, and/or upgrading your fire glove (assuming you played pyromancer, or have acquired the glove). But none of that is even necessary at this point or intended for where we left off here.

There is one one downside to overleveling where there's a chance you'll get pushed out a good summoning range for white phantoms to help you beat harder bosses (you can only summon phantoms within +/- 10% of your levels IIRC), so it'll be harder to find help if you need it. Although wait long enough and you might be able to pull in help from someone way higher level on a new game+ or +++ since summoning isnt playthrough dependant, only level.

Once you get a new controller you might also check out some tutorial videos on youtube to get a better grasp of the basic game mechanics and stick with those. Especially those more advanced techniques like parrying and riposte that change based on each type of enemy (but every enemy typw has same attacks and timing, you just have to learn them) and then start the game over paying closer attention to what the NPCs tell you and what you're shown. You really just have to learn "how" to approach this game to see why everyone else loves it so drat much, and recognize the fair gameplay and technique being key to winning. Otherwise you just wont be having a good time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z36Xadupn5c

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

uh you guys know you can just scroll past stuff youre disinterested in?

its really easy

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cool let me go find a 10 page rant about how Obama did 9/11 and global warming is a hoax perpetuated by the jews and post that for a few pages. You can just feel free to scroll past it. :thumbsup:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
drat, brute forcing my way through is the only way I know how to play... that and running away. But I also grew up on JRPGs like you said where leveling up is pretty much always the key to winning.

I'll try it again with a controller one day and hopefully that changes things, but I really am just a terrible gamer.

I'm gonna stop talking about Dark Souls now since everyone appears to be agitated.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

IRQ posted:

Cool let me go find a 10 page rant about how Obama did 9/11 and global warming is a hoax perpetuated by the jews and post that for a few pages. You can just feel free to scroll past it. :thumbsup:

uh knock yourself out champ, I will indeed feel free to scroll past

if there are people that really want to discuss that in the general chat thread its not like my blood pressure is gonna spike up with the uncontrollable urge to stop them.... although I really cannot condone an act of plagerism like that

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Hey let's maybe steer the conversation back to television, because someone mentioned Michael Chiklis is going to be in AHS season 4.

DivisionPost posted:

He's the barker. Has to be.

EDIT: Of course, I could be an idiot as it says Lange's character is the one running the show.

I'm going to assume strongman. In that sexy, sexy unitard.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

uh you guys know you can just scroll past stuff youre disinterested in?

its really easy

Have you always been such a bad poster?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrVenkman posted:

I've re-watched The West Wing a few times, but I always seem to forget about Mandy. I'll be watching the pilot and then bam, there she is, introduced with her lovely 90s generic rock music. Also, Elizabeth Moss is oddly really bad, which is a shame since I just finished watching her in Top of the Lake.

I just started watching The West Wing for the first time. I'm starting to realize why people dislike Sorkin (my only experience with him was his movies and a couple episodes of The Newsroom), but Rob Lowe and Alison Janey are pretty much making it worth watching. And like other deacades-old TV shows, it's fun when actors who are better known now pop up.

On that note, Moss hasn't started grating on me yet, but it's strange hearing her speak in modern dialogue. I have then same issue with John Hamm, too. Signifcant roles in period piece TV shows generally ruin actors for me.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yes let's all just go back to just posting hyperbolic poo poo in the voice of Variety. That's much better than a brief amicable derail.

Austrian mook posted:

I get this guy is playing Dark Souls wrong but take that to Games, literally every forum there talks about Dark Souls.

Games is an absolute shithole though. Seriously, Regarde Aduck got probation in there for saying he disliked Gone Home. No troll, no flame, completely on topic and he got booted for it because it was an unpopular opinion. gently caress Games.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yes let's all just go back to just posting hyperbolic poo poo in the voice of Variety. That's much better than a brief amicable derail.

Games is an absolute shithole though. Seriously, Regarde Aduck got probation in there for saying he disliked Gone Home. No troll, no flame, completely on topic and he got booted for it because it was an unpopular opinion. gently caress Games.

It really, truly is.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Just started catching up on Hannibal's new season (about to start episode 4). drat, this show just gets better and better. I want to catch up on Walking Dead (have only seen 1 episode since it came back from hiatus) but I swear there's been more tension in Hannibal's 3 episodes than I even remember ever feeling in Walking Dead's entire run.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Oh man episode 4 though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
dark souls totally did have a plot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9x_koRZ2bA

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just watched episode five and episode five though

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

Just watched episode five and episode five though

I feel really weird about the fact that Hannibal fed Jack some pieces of Beverly as he was talking about how good a friend he is and I'm the only to bring it up in the thread and seemed phased by it

:catstare:

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

That's his jam.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Also the game has no plot. Well not in any traditional sense, and especially not one you'll coherently put together on first playthrough. Thats also part of the appeal. There aren't Dark Souls spoilers really. The plot is mostly told by an opening cinematic and then revealed piecemeal by the world and object descriptions along with various NPCs who you encounter them on their own pilgrimages throughout the game who have their own goals and talk about their own arcs rather than the big hero journey. Narrative is second to gameplay, but not neglected.... merely left open-ended like a great painting where so much of the enjoyment comes from internal curiosity and attempts to understand what was very elaborately and meticulously constructed.

One big thing that new players might not understand is that its meant to be a crowdsourced game. They want you checking things out on the internet if youre stuck on a boss or cant figure out how to get past a certain part. Its part of how they are able to create such a difficult (but entierly fair) worldspace, and while you can go through the game blind, that sounds about as unfun to me as playing through the game using a guide the entire time. Well, that and the parry system. drat new players should have really been explained that better. Also they should know that theyre gonna get F'd in the A. poo poo happens. Part of the fun is the game trolling you the ways it does things like Sen's Fortress or the first Seath battle.

Dark Souls is pretty much the definition of a perfect game to me. Its stands in the medium on its own without aping movies or even literature for popular memories. It just naturally utilizes all these aspects of game play to inform about the game itself, and most of all its just fun and designed to have a real skill level and difficulty curve (and not one based on grinding or unlockables, skill is something as real and important in the game as it is in, say, a fighting game for example.

Don't forget to check out Demon's Souls for PS3 also. It was the spiritual precursor to Dark Souls and theyre functionally very, very, very similar games.

I disagree, demons souls is one of the worst games I've ever played and dark souls 1 one of the best

Also yeah dark souls 2 is overall a better game than ds1

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Twee as gently caress posted:

I feel really weird about the fact that Hannibal fed Jack some pieces of Beverly as he was talking about how good a friend he is and I'm the only to bring it up in the thread and seemed phased by it

:catstare:

I mean, it's kinda what Hannibal does? It was definitely creepy, but not one of the worse things in the episode. Also, while we're still on the subject, that crossfade towards the end with Will's face was a loving masterful shot.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

I mean, it's kinda what Hannibal does? It was definitely creepy, but not one of the worse things in the episode. Also, while we're still on the subject, that crossfade towards the end with Will's face was a loving masterful shot.

True enough, but to me its worse being fed one of your friends than seeing their desecrated corpses :shrug:

Hannibal is by far the most beautiful show that's been on television for the past two years, and I still maintain the only reason it's on NBC instead of AMC or HBO is because Fueller lost a drunken bet and that's the humiliating consequence.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Twee as gently caress posted:

True enough, but to me its worse being fed one of your friends than seeing their desecrated corpses :shrug:

I think it's quite utilitarian. You're making good use out of something that would otherwise be tossed out. He's probably known in his neighborhood for leading the weekly recycling movement.

I haven't watched this show yet, though. In what way is it beautiful? Cinematography, plot, deep characters?

Oh, wow. I guess if you read every item description in the game, you may eventually get an idea of the plot. :| Or maybe I just didn't pay any attention at all, I just remember being very confused at all moments.

Edit: I got up to the point of Kingseeker frampt, the primordial serpent. I thought he was a boss, and I tried to kill him, and I think I fell into an abyss before quitting. Dude could definitely use a makeover, he ugly as poo poo.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 30, 2014

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Ravane posted:

I haven't watched (Hannibal) yet, though. In what way is it beautiful? Cinematography, plot, deep characters?

All of the above. And it's not just the last two years, it's ever.

Acting, cinematography, direction, wardrobe, score, plating... it excels on every level.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Ravane posted:

I haven't watched this show yet, though. In what way is it beautiful? Cinematography, plot, deep characters?

In order: Christ yes; kind of; and shockingly yes, if only with regards to Hannibal, Will, and Crawford (the rest aren't necessarily deep, but they're entertaining and they feel like they have life). Add "poetic dialogue" and "unspeakable body horror" to that list (EDIT: oh yeah, and "food porn," as Manos points out above) and you've got a glimpse of what you're missing.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Manos del Sino posted:

All of the above. And it's not just the last two years, it's ever.

Acting, cinematography, direction, wardrobe, score, plating... it excels on every level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx9bjEfzV_s

Man, if you just told me Laurence Fishburne was in this, I would have watched from season 1. I loved him in Othello.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The season 1 DVD trailer is a pretty good sell on the show as a whole, though it's a little spoilery as it uses scenes pretty far into the season. Honestly if they can keep up the quality for as many seasons as Bryan Fuller has a plan, it'll be a loving masterpiece at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDTzn8y-5kM

One of my favorite aspects of the show is how symbolically rich it is, like how it portrays Hannibal as a Lucifer figure whos control he exerts over the fabric of the show's world is so great that he wants to place himself as a god-like figure, or at least is intent on killing god.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 30, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Where can I watch Hannibal, since it's so good, online?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Amazon Prime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

Where can I watch Hannibal, since it's so good, online?

Only on Amazon Prime, they got an exclusivity deal.

• Locked thread