Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Soulex posted:

The sad thing is those games get overrun so fast that they die in a flash of brilliance but dont stay long.

There was another one of the draw something variety where the person in question drew nothing but ducks and the chat was hilarious. Anyone know what I am talking about or better yet have screenshots? Google has turned nothing up for me. Same with the burnout crash cam.

I am in need of a console game I can be creative and grief with, suggestions? Trying to go against the grain and get something like a sandbox except with multiplayer (grand theft auto like)

The duck thing was some pictionary clone but I've forgotten its name too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

The game was called iSketch and the duck post is right here many pages ago (134).

Jimmy the Wrench
Jul 2, 2007

Soulex posted:

The sad thing is those games get overrun so fast that they die in a flash of brilliance but dont stay long.

There was another one of the draw something variety where the person in question drew nothing but ducks and the chat was hilarious. Anyone know what I am talking about or better yet have screenshots? Google has turned nothing up for me. Same with the burnout crash cam.

I am in need of a console game I can be creative and grief with, suggestions? Trying to go against the grain and get something like a sandbox except with multiplayer (grand theft auto like)

Haha. That might have been me and my roomate. We drew nothing but ducks for a while in one of those games and it slowly changed into drawing ducks involved with the word somehow which drove people nuts.

I wish I could find something like that again, it was a lot of stupid fun.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Soulex posted:

Grand theft auto ticks all of those boxes, not sure there's anything else that does or I'd be playing it.

Toastline
Dec 7, 2005
Chain Chomp

FirstPlayer posted:

From that game, yeah; are there others? Hydrogen Oxide mentioned an archive with 363 shots.

I've got you covered!
http://www.filedropper.com/sadategame
These are some of my favourite pictures to come out of SA.
Unfortunately, some of the images are corrupted. Sorry about that, but these have been sitting on my drive for a long time now.

Toastline fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 22, 2014

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Soulex posted:

Yeah, GTA Online. Head over to the GTAO crew thread and sign up with WEZL, those guys are usually out and about causing mayhem.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Toastline posted:

I've got you covered!
Unfortunately, some of the images are corrupted. Sorry about that, but these have been sitting on my drive for a long time now.

Kickass, thanks a ton.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Toastline posted:

I've got you covered!

I thank you as well. I enjoyed what was already on SA and am glad to see so much more.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
So, someone on Pokémon Showdown is harvesting rage rather efficiently with a Swagger team. He's actually trying to demonstrate why Swagger + Prankster should be banned.

Basically, the way it works (explaining for people who haven't played Pokémon):

• All of these Pokémon have the Prankster ability, which makes it so that all the moves they use that don't directly do damage have their priority go up by 1. So they almost always go first.
  • The only directly damaging move they have is Foul Play, which deals damage according to the target's Attack stat, not the user's.
  • They all have the move Swagger, which increases the enemy's attack by 2 and confuses them. A confused Pokémon has a 50% chance of losing their turn and hurting themselves in their confusion. The damage they take is boosted by the attack increase from Swagger. It's also a priority move because of Prankster, so they can lose their turn even if they didn't start confused.
  • All but one of them has Thunder Wave, which paralyzes. Paralyzed Pokémon are slower and have a 25% chance of losing their turn, which stacks with the 50% chance from confusion. This is also a priority move with Prankster.
  • They all have Substitute, which protects his Pokémon from status effects and being immediately KOed. And it's also a priority move.
  • They all carry the item Leftovers, which slowly recovers their HP, in case the enemy is lucky and gets a crack at them.

He uses an algorithm for the strategy, which he doesn't deviate from, and it works surprisingly well, getting him to around 1500 on the Overused (standard, all Pokémon except for a small banlist allowed) ladder and 1300 on the OU Suspect (testing to see whether a certain set of Pokémon should be banned) ladder.

He also kept the chatlogs, and has harvested an incredible amount of rage.

This is the essence of griefing right here. A negligible amount of effort that reaps vast rewards, even if that wasn't his intention.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Zemyla posted:

So, someone on Pokémon Showdown is harvesting rage rather efficiently with a Swagger team.

As someone who dabbled in competitive Pokemon for a while, that sounds like a devestatingly effective team that just happens to be frustrating to fight against. I think I remember there being some Pokemon immune to confusion though?

-------

A popular grief the SA Goons used to do in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was to enter a Team Deathmatch game all on one side and play Hush Mode. What this meant was that at the beginning of the game, everyone lays down 2 claymore landmines and then immediately hides in tall grass with a ghillie suit on and not engage the enemy in any way. Pro level Hushers took the Eavesdrop perk so they could hear the confusion and rage of the enemy team as they walked right over their position. A perfect game of Hush would end by time with the score 12-0, with the only kills in the whole match coming from the claymores. Some teams would be good sports about it, but it was more fun when teams that hadn't gotten a single kill would start rage quitting after a few minutes of wandering around an empty map and occasionally blowing up on a landmine.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Zemyla posted:

So, someone on Pokémon Showdown is harvesting rage rather efficiently with a Swagger team. He's actually trying to demonstrate why Swagger + Prankster should be banned.

I tried doing this a few hours ago (as someone who has never played Pokemon past red) and couldn't really get it to work. Maybe I didn't understand your commentary or the OP's strategy well enough but I did get to live vicariously though the guy's logs.

---

This isn't a particularly good grief, but it is one of my earliest gaming memories. When I was a wee lad, I would play Rogue Spear online with my baller 56k connection. I don't know if any of you remember the early Rainbow Six games, but online mode was basically single player or team deathmatch on one of three lovely hosts. I was never very good at FPS so at the spawn point in team deathmatch, after getting sufficiently frustrated, I would just spin around in a circle shooting (and killing) my team mates before dropping a grenade and killing myself. In this case, there was no respawn if I remember correctly, and we would just lose and need to start a new game. I don't remember there ever being any real punishment for this. I don't think there was a kick feature or anything like that yet. Low effort, lots of rage.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Promoted Pawn posted:

A popular grief the SA Goons used to do in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was to enter a Team Deathmatch game all on one side and play Hush Mode. What this meant was that at the beginning of the game, everyone lays down 2 claymore landmines and then immediately hides in tall grass with a ghillie suit on and not engage the enemy in any way. Pro level Hushers took the Eavesdrop perk so they could hear the confusion and rage of the enemy team as they walked right over their position. A perfect game of Hush would end by time with the score 12-0, with the only kills in the whole match coming from the claymores. Some teams would be good sports about it, but it was more fun when teams that hadn't gotten a single kill would start rage quitting after a few minutes of wandering around an empty map and occasionally blowing up on a landmine.

In MW2 you could mash the weapon switch button while prone and your animation would bug out, making you stand perfectly still and looking like a corpse. While lying in the grass with a gilly suit, with no red name popup when you're targetted and undetectable by UAV :allears:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You could do the button mash thing in MW1 and probably like every COD game ever, though you could still die to red names and autoaim. Though I think auto-aim could still cause guns to 'stick' to you when you were hushed in MW2

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
SWAT 4 was fun in it's multiplayer brutality.
The objective of the co-op mode in the game was to clear a room, with points going towards players who safely disarmed and tied up any hostiles. Outright killing would just give you 1 point vs something like 5 for a capture.

Along that line the game provided you with a ton of weapons that incapacitated over killing. So things like bean-bag guns, paintball CS gas, tasers, and so forth.
The expansion added to the madness with a non-lethal grenade launcher that fired all sorts of things, and a beefed up tazer gun. Oh and lightsticks to break open and party with.

What this lead to was rapid fire confrontations over who could slow down or incacipate members of their team in order to capture as many points as possible. So almost all rounds were started off with team members either being tazered, gassed or pelted with bean-bags to slow them down to a hobble. The survivor would then be a dick and wedge shut doors to slow people down as he tried not to die taking on a whole building of hostiles.

Ultimately everyone ended up running around in heavy armor and gas masks, which made for crap vision and the movement of a whale, plus gave you even more chances of being smacked in the face with a tazer.
Any who got out of the initial scrum often found themselves either shot by a terrorist as they hobbled around the rooms or in a tazer skimish over who would tie up the hostage.

You also could sneak in an extra point by shooting hostages after tying them up, making for some very close matches.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Trickyrive posted:

The game was called iSketch and the duck post is right here many pages ago (134).

Oh wow huh! I'm probably the guy that guy got the idea from (I remember some other people did their own after I posted mine so maybe he saw those) but my old post is broken because Waffleimages. I still have the folders lying around though so here, have some OG iSketch ducks. In two flavors!

2006/7 ducks (which I said weren't very good and never linked in the old post but they're ok)

2008 ducks (the ones from the broken post)

I think it's real neat that multiple people have remembered this dumb thing I did as a bored teenager. :)

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 25, 2014

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

WebDog posted:

You also could sneak in an extra point by shooting hostages after tying them up, making for some very close matches.

Art imitates life.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

WebDog posted:

SWAT 4 was fun in it's multiplayer brutality.

Reading this and picturing this happening in a real-life SWAT bust is pretty amazing. I wonder what the devs thought would happen with that kind of scoring mechanic.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

absolutely anything posted:

Oh wow huh! I'm probably the guy that guy got the idea from (I remember some other people did their own after I posted mine so maybe he saw those) but my old post is broken because Waffleimages. I still have the folders lying around though so here, have some OG iSketch ducks. In two flavors!

2006/7 ducks (which I said weren't very good and never linked in the old post but they're ok)

2008 ducks (the ones from the broken post)

I think it's real neat that multiple people have remembered this dumb thing I did as a bored teenager. :)

The one where the word was Troll was amazing.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

This isn't a major grief or anything but Dead Nation Apocalypse Edition is the free PS+ game for PS4 and has an interesting feature in that you can broadcast on twitch and the viewers of the stream can vote for you to get good things to happen to you or bad things to happen to you.

If you go onto twitch and look at live streams with 0 viewers you can watch and have complete control over the votes. This is great because you can properly ruin a run by carefully choosing the options.

Yesterday I had a guy repeatedly redoing the same area for about 45mins because I'd voted his difficulty up, lowered his speed and removed his ability to dash away from zombies. He didn't quit straight because I'd vote for inconsequential good things like extra flares or ammo but he could only really last so long unable to progress despite anything he tried.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Kizurue posted:

For content:
About 2 days ago another goon and I were playing 7 Days to Die when I came across a server that was roleplaying the old west. If you don't know 7 Days to Die is a zombie survival game mixed with the minecraft style of crafting and everything being made of blocks and destroyable. So this server was building their little western town and had zombies turned off which was no fun. It was at this point my friend realized that they had creative mode on which lets you just spawn in a full stack of whatever item or block you want. We immediately spawned in some Augers and started excavating under the entire town. In 7 Days to Die they boast about structural stability, if it has no supports it will fall. Well we tunneled straight down the road and branched off under every house. One of the admins found us and started questioning us about what we were doing so the logical answer was escape tunnels in case of zombies or something. Admin gave us the thumbs up and went on his way.

After about 5 minutes later an entire house collapsed on me after I removed every block under it while thinking there was a bit more support. I quickly disconnected and came back with a new name then started asking why they destroyed their building. The admins started going on about people using TNT when they shouldn't be, idiots. So back to tunneling we go and we dug out most of the buildings and left supports made on explosives. Right before we are about to set it off the whole drat road collapses and the guy comes down into the tunnel freaking and throwing supports up (only under the road) and placing dirt in front of the tunnels to the buildings. We laid low for a few minutes until we went back to whatever dumb RP poo poo he was doing and removed all the dirt and lined his supports with TNT. That's when the explosions started happening, one by one buildings on each side of the street started to crumble when their floors and supports were blown up. This caused so much lag the admin restarted the server and rolled it back. Myself and the other goon were the first ones in and immediately started blowing poo poo up again cause all of the TNT was still in place. Admin comes on, other goon got banned. Before he could ban me another restart took place and next thing we know the server requires a password.

Well, I have now come to realize that someone needs to make a WWI game based on the same minecraft style formula. It would be perfect as you could dig trenches, lay wire, no mans land would be constantly getting pockmarked with craters, and you could dig mines under your enemy's lines just like in the actual war.

As for griefing, my 4 friends and I would always play Cruisin USA together on the N64. The one day we decided that we were going to do some races with a pool of money. Well, I approached my best friend at the time and we decided that if I helped him win, we would split the pot. So I chose the schoolbus and at the start of the race, we got a slight lead over the other two players. That's when I implemented my plan. When you crash into a vehicle in Cruisin USA, your car spins in a circle along with the traffic vehicle. The schoolbus is big enough that it can block almost the entire road in certain levels, so I spent the entire race essentially parking my fat rear end in front of the competition allowing my friend to win the race. Thankfully my friends were good sports about it since the pot was only $20, though they did ban the bus from any future races and my arm was pretty black and blue from them punching me during the race.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

jadebullet posted:

Well, I have now come to realize that someone needs to make a WWI game based on the same minecraft style formula. It would be perfect as you could dig trenches, lay wire, no mans land would be constantly getting pockmarked with craters, and you could dig mines under your enemy's lines just like in the actual war.
http://www.aceofspades.com/

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Don't remind me. It hurts to think about what could've been.

Griefing in AoS was simple: shooting blocks lowered their health, so you could plink at structures to destroy them. A block that wasn't connected to the ground gets destroyed, so killing a tower is as simple as destroying the bottom foundation. You could do this with hills too.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 10, 2014

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Segmentation Fault posted:

Don't remind me. It hurts to think about what could've been.

Griefing in AoS was simple: shooting blocks lowered their health, so you could plink at structures to destroy them. A block that wasn't connected to the ground gets destroyed, so killing a tower is as simple as destroying the bottom foundation. You could do this with hills too.
Early on when I played this I spent a few minutes carefully fortifying a building up to prevent our flag being captured only to not realise what a terrible idea that was until some engineers blew out the supports and collapsed the entire thing on me. It was too hilarious to be angry about, but it sort of counts as griefing I guess? One of the ways to grief in the mandatory zombie mode was to ignore the last two or three players and just run around as a mob tearing down terrain and trying to remove the entire level. Was occasionally possible if you were efficient and could get a few rounds of digging in.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
When I played ace of spades there was a big island/hill in between the teams, but the enemy team had got it first and fortified the gently caress out of it so it was impossible to go past. So our team used shovels as weapons and dug out underneath the entire island. Watching all those carefully made bunkers collapse and the chaos that ensued from having a big Flatland with 20 enemies on it was awesome.

I think the old ace of spades is still up somewhere.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Captain Internet posted:

That's actually from last year. Jan 2013.

My favorite grief in UO was sailing around during the 8x8 era (wherein skill gains could only be done if you moved 8 tiles to cut down on idle macroing of skill gains.) Players would make a script with sailing commands built in to sail around and unattendedly use macros to gain skills.

Queue players specifically seeking out these players with their own boats, colliding with the macroers boats to prevent them from continuing to sail and then murder them outright with bows, magery, or my personal favorite a heavy crossbow and explosion potions. The trick is, if their character didn't have a large or medium boat and had their character positioned in the exact right position their corpse would clip over the side and be freely lootable.

Most of these macroers thought they were completely safe and just left their boat keys on them. If they did, you could just open up your plank, steal their keys, unlock their boat, jump into their boat and steal what was in their hold. You could then just sail that boat to dry land, and shrink the boat into a model ship because it assumes you are the owner because you have the keys and display the ship in your murder house.

Then you continue to hunt for more unattended macroers stuck in the "sea trance."

Boats also cost around 12k which wasn't a very small amount.

There was a bug that got around the pesky locked boat problem. For about two months you could cast energy field, which was a spell that created impassable terrain, when your boat and their boat were stern to stern. Then you just command the boat to turn a few times and it would push your character on to their boat for free loot.

Except that I didn't care too much about free loot. I thought getting their character stuck was far, far better.

What you would do is get on their boat, pickpocket their runes, then get back on your boat. Once you did this you'd set up the boat killing macro, a macro that forced your boat alongside their counter clockwise rotation, thus forcing your boat to continuously push them down and away from their macro point. You'd leave this on overnight, or until you hit land, then get out of your boat, turn it into a model, and teleport back home.

They would come back to their character, be in the middle of no where, and go to recall back to their house only to find that their runes were missing. Then they would inevitably page a GM and have to wait a few hours for the guy to show up. UO GMs were the equivalent of the worst cable employees, they'd show up hours after your ticket every single time and if you were AFK they'd just delete the ticket. Best of all, they would look in their combat log to see what happened, and just see your character spamming TURN LEFT, TURN LEFT, TURN LEFT, FORWARD for pages upon pages.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Oppenheimer posted:

When I played ace of spades there was a big island/hill in between the teams, but the enemy team had got it first and fortified the gently caress out of it so it was impossible to go past. So our team used shovels as weapons and dug out underneath the entire island. Watching all those carefully made bunkers collapse and the chaos that ensued from having a big Flatland with 20 enemies on it was awesome.

I think the old ace of spades is still up somewhere.

http://buildandshoot.com/

Have fun! It's pretty much all random folks playing now, I doubt there's any organized groups left.

Making the most insane DoomForts around the Green briefcase on the ClassicGen map was awesome, at least until those filthy Blues would snipe it to ruins from the mountains across the river. Almost no one plays ClassicGen now, it's all custom made maps like Normandy, Island, Pinpoint, etc.

Pinpoint is one of my favorites since its a non-stop disaster zone in the middle with the desperate block by block fighting...and being able to bypass most of it by just going around through the ocean and sniping everyone in the back.

Most people don't catch on for a while :unsmith:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

My favorite thing to do in ace of spade was to find some snipers hidey hole then make a bigass pink arrow point right at him from above without him noticing, then watching his hut get wrecked by random fire.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Dark Souls 2 introduced a fun spell: Warmth. Warmth is a pyromancy, which means any character can use it because the item you need to cast it has no stat requirements (unlike, for example, sorceries or miracles which require high intelligence or faith, respectively). Warmth is interesting because casting it spawns a stationary immortal ball of flame. Anyone standing within range gets healed for a % of their max health each second (I want to say 5%?) And I do mean ANYONE. Friend or foe. Which naturally has led to some interesting opportunities.

My personal favorite application (which has gotten me some hate in the DS2 thread but I think it's hilarious) is with a certain boss lategame called the Looking Glass Knight. The LGK's gimmick is that at about 50% HP, he summons an NPC to assist him. Sometimes, though, if the stars align (you have to use an item at a certain time and someone has to be fighting the boss), he'll summon human invaders instead. So, if you bring Warmth with you, you can basically heal the boss to full and they can't do anything about it. (They can move the boss away, but the radius is really large)

But I recently read about taking that to the next level, and it slightly disturbed me. There's a boss called Duke's Dear Freya. It's a big fuckoff spider, and it's got two heads. One in front, one in back. If you do too much damage to one head too quickly, the head falls off and you can only attack the other one. Sooo...

quote:

My friend is over at my house,and he is trying to kill Duke's Dear Freja. He summoned two sunbros to help him with the boss. To our collective amazement, one of them was a troll and dropped Warmth of the boss constantly. Now this particular sunbro was just no minor Warmth troll; this troll was the brightest sun of all trollbros. Not only did he keep the boss at high health, he also knocked off BOTH of the heads making the boss immune to all damage. For thirty minutes we watched slack jawed as the now headless spider jumped around and did a few harmless leg stomps.

...:staredog:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

The PC release can't come soon enough.

How many times can you cast Warmth before you have to recharge it? And how long does the healing orb last?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's 4 casts I think, and it lasts about 20 seconds.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
4 casts at base but on a dedicated caster build it ends up being like 7.

I imagine they'll patch it soon, it's a little ridiculous right now.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Having been on a Monster Hunter kick I just remembered another grief I liked to pull. In Monster Hunter Tri multiplayer you can strike your own teammates, but for no damage (unless you strike a barrel bomb). That also included throwable items, which would slightly nudge the player. Two weapons in particular, the switch-axe and greatsword had an uppercut swing that could send your teammates flying. The idea behind it was to knock your teammates out of harm's way, but it's really just an annoying dick move used by bad players. The true grief however, comes from one particular encounter, Jhen Mohran, a monstrous, HUGE dragon that swims through the desert sands. You fight it on this massive boat in the middle of the desert.

On the boat, both sides are completely open so players can physically jump on the dragon or just whack its sides. If you fall off, you fall into the sand and are tugged behind the boat by a rope until you very slowly climb back up to it. Now, remember how I mentioned that throwables slightly nudge players? Said throwables work on people being tugged. Normally there's a hard cap on how much of a specific item you can carry, usually 10, save for one item in particular, the paintball, which you can carry 99 of along with the ingredients to craft more on the spot. When the dragon comes close, uppercut a teammate into the sands, and run to the back of the boat where he's trying to climb back in. Once he's close enough start throwing paintballs, this will reset his climb and you can force him to stay back there forever, usually they ragequit.

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Dreggon posted:

The PC release can't come soon enough.

How many times can you cast Warmth before you have to recharge it? And how long does the healing orb last?

4 times with low attunement, 8 times with high attunement.

But there are consumables now that refresh your casts so you could cast it as many times as you want.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

There is also a helm that gives extra casts.

My favorite grief in Dark Souls 2 is to spawn camp as a ratbro. DS2 has a covenant (essentially a faction that you join and rank-up for rewards) where you try and kill people that enter two specific zones. When you go to one of the zones and wear your covenant ring you can summon people that are in that zone to your world. Their goal is to avoid the traps, the host (you) and the rats in the zone and get to the end. You yourself are not attacked by the monster rats in the zone. They could also just kill you.

The grief is that you get a message about 15-20 seconds before they spawn in telling you they are coming and they always spawn in the exact same spot. That gives you just enough time to put down 5-6 Lingering Flames, a spell that lays down floating proximity-mine fireballs, on top of the spawn. As soon as they spawn in I also chuck a couple Flame Swaths at them as well (a giant fireball that takes a couple seconds to go off and deals a ton of damage). I have killed a ton of people like this and only one guy ever survived the initial assault and made it out of the spawn.

Here is a video of a guy spawn camping as a ratbro but he skips the mines and just uses Flame Swathe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10MlGKVcd5Y

Another less-griefy method I like to use is casting chameleon to turn into a rat statue or a torch and hiding in plain sight. As soon as the invader passes by I shoot them in the back with a giant lightning bolt that will one shot pretty much anybody unless they can react in time and block it. Even then it will take off about half their health.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I know we've been talking about Dark Souls a bit, but one other thing that I've recently started doing that's gotten fantastic results. I'm not sure if it's griefing or counter-griefing, but it's hilarious either way.

One of the core PvP mechanics is that people can invade your world. If they kill you, you die and they get a % of your souls (I'm not sure the exact number in DS2. In DS it was something like 20% of the souls it will take to level up). If you kill them, you get a different % but still get a decent reward. As you can imagine, a large number of invaders are cowards who will hide near enemies and only attack when you're occupied and then mindlessly swing until something happens to connect and then kill you and usually taunt your corpse. This happened so frequently in the first game that the developers decided to introduce my new favorite item: Seed of a Tree of Giants. It's hard to get (every time you get invaded there's a 10% chance it spawns on a random tree in the first level), but when you use it, it turns enemies in your world hostile to invaders. :getin:

There's a lategame area with a particularly nasty staircase with about eight really painful and powerful enemies on it. The general approach is to either run for your life or slowly plink away at everyone with arrows until they die. God help you if you don't have the Dexterity to use a bow. Anyway, usually invaders will chill on that staircase and then taunt you in the middle of an angry enemy crowd.

Imagine their surprise when that angry crowd suddenly turns on them. :black101:

I thought the hatemail I got while INVADING was bad, but apparently invaders who get killed by enemies in the host's world get a special kind of angry. One guy threatened to rape my sister with a hammer. In the same message he also called me a virgin, so that was kind of an odd message.

Also, here is a video of that Warmth boss shenanigans from the perspective of a poor guy who had it happen 25 times. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7K5xb9B7Vg

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 2, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
More on that dark souls item:

There's a room with an enemy who rings a bell. If he manages to do it, a TON more enemies spawn in the room, making it much harder, and it's already kind of a gauntlet of a room. Invaders can ring it as well, making it that much harder for the person to proceed even if they kill you. That alone is an okay grief, but it is pretty easy to reset anyway, so its not that high impact.

However, I recently had an invader in that room, after I had mostly cleared it. The doors are blocked off during an invasion, and most of the enemies in the room are already dead, so its just him and me. When I saw the invasion message, I managed to sneak to the little covered area with the bell without him seeing me. He walks to the other side of the room, next to two remaining guys with polearms, waiting for me. So I pop the seed, and ring the bell, and get to watch as 6-8 fire mages appear out of nowhere and descend on him while I charge. It was beautiful.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

I know we've been talking about Dark Souls a bit, but one other thing that I've recently started doing that's gotten fantastic results. I'm not sure if it's griefing or counter-griefing, but it's hilarious either way.

One of the core PvP mechanics is that people can invade your world. If they kill you, you die and they get a % of your souls (I'm not sure the exact number in DS2. In DS it was something like 20% of the souls it will take to level up). If you kill them, you get a different % but still get a decent reward. As you can imagine, a large number of invaders are cowards who will hide near enemies and only attack when you're occupied and then mindlessly swing until something happens to connect and then kill you and usually taunt your corpse. This happened so frequently in the first game that the developers decided to introduce my new favorite item: Seed of a Tree of Giants. It's hard to get (every time you get invaded there's a 10% chance it spawns on a random tree in the first level), but when you use it, it turns enemies in your world hostile to invaders. :getin:

There's a lategame area with a particularly nasty staircase with about eight really painful and powerful enemies on it. The general approach is to either run for your life or slowly plink away at everyone with arrows until they die. God help you if you don't have the Dexterity to use a bow. Anyway, usually invaders will chill on that staircase and then taunt you in the middle of an angry enemy crowd.

Imagine their surprise when that angry crowd suddenly turns on them. :black101:

I thought the hatemail I got while INVADING was bad, but apparently invaders who get killed by enemies in the host's world get a special kind of angry. One guy threatened to rape my sister with a hammer. In the same message he also called me a virgin, so that was kind of an odd message.

Also, here is a video of that Warmth boss shenanigans from the perspective of a poor guy who had it happen 25 times. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7K5xb9B7Vg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7K5xb9B7Vg&t=775s

Woah. Woah. What. If you take too long, he summons MORE INVADERS!?

God I loving love FromSoft so goddamned much. That is straight up evil.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

duckfarts posted:

Not the best griefing story, but back when Unreal Tournament came out, I'd play with my friends on whatever CTF server we could find as Clan Yeehaw and with names that ended in Yeehaw. Basically, we set a keybind to make your guy yell "Yeeeeeeehawwwww!", and then we would spam it constantly during a match. Did you capture the flag? Yeehaw! Are you on a kill streak! Yeehaw! Did someone else yeehaw? Yeehaw! It was like popcorn, where one yeehaw would signal a cascade of constant yeehawing for the next minute or so.

Some people thought it was funny and would even join in, but some people got really really mad and tried to hunt is down and typed the expected insults in game chat. We were reasonably good at the time though, so they couldn't do anything and would just eventually quit the server.

This is an old rear end post, but holy poo poo. I totally remember you guys. My clan ran into yours at least once and it became just a hilarious wall of "Yeehaw!" that ran almost everyone else out. One guy even made sure to spam "gently caress YOU GUYS" about 4 or 5 times before he quit. My clan's team lost every match because we were too busy laughing and couldn't play for poo poo, but it was so worth it.

We liked it so much that we started doing it ourselves, although I don't think we ever ran into your clan again (we played mostly Domination, and later got real big into instagib, so we set up our own DS. If your guys were mostly CTF that would explain it). Some people would have fun with it, but I swear we got at least a few ragequits every day we played for at least a month or two.

Hell, I'm fairly sure it was you or your guys, because I specifically remember all the names having "Yeehaw" in them. If you remember Clan MOO, who played as all cows, that was us :v:

e:

duckfarts posted:

:tipshat: Double-O-Yeehaw, reporting in

yeehawyeehawyeehawyeehawyeehawyeehawyeehawyee
hawyeehawyeehawyeehawyeehawyeehawyeehawyeehaw

Yup, it was you.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 3, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Magres posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7K5xb9B7Vg&t=775s

Woah. Woah. What. If you take too long, he summons MORE INVADERS!?

God I loving love FromSoft so goddamned much. That is straight up evil.

I don't know if it can summon more than 1 actual player. The one in the video was a NPC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

More fun from Space Station 13:

Angry Diplomat posted:

I just had a Miscreant round as the Chef. My objective was to be aggressively bad at my job, so I immediately cooked a bunch of gooey messes and then extracted them to get a few beakers full of ????. I dumped most of it in the deep fryer and saved the rest for an icing tube, deep fried six things, made a sandwich out of them, and made that sandwich into a cake. Having cooked a cake made entirely of things deep-fried in pure food poisoning, I went ahead and frosted it with pure food poisoning icing as well. A single slice of that cake was sufficient to knock people on their asses and make them puke profusely. Later, someone left copies of The King In Yellow everywhere, so I deep-fried a whole bunch of them and made delicious insanity book sandwiches and rangoons. Somewhere along the line, one of the admins gave me some sort of glowing aura and a big ol' pair of horns so I would look more Satanic while I played Cooking Satan. The round ended with me on the shuttle, rampantly forcefeeding The King In Yellow to everyone in sight and laughing maniacally amidst a cacophony of screaming, weeping, farting, and vomiting, interspersed with gunshots as I fired the Bartender's shotgun into the air. The Bar was pretty much a sea of vomit and blood, and my bro, who had been sampling my cooking all round, had somehow managed to attain such an extreme degree of food poisoning that uncontrollable tremors and spasms were constant symptoms.

Miscreant objective: successful as gently caress

• Locked thread