Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

No, there really is a little dude with - uh - quite a Waldo-like expression, look between the two tanks. I'm sure that's just what it is.

e: He's even waving :3:

His expression looks just like the other 2 soldiers just to the right and above him, and I think he's flailing, not waving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, he's definitely flailing. Mostly because three bots are pulling him apart.

EDIT: VVVVV I stand by my statement.

Choco1980 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 8, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
i'll just leave these here i think they speak for themselves

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

But there are two other soldiers with the same face nearby up and to the right. Just seems like anyone not in an Iron Man suit is cartoonier than you might expect.

Edit: beaten like a Waldo soldier

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Obviously Stokoe is tracing where's waldo and should be run out of the businesses.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Really interesting piece with Jae Lee:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51364

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
So I recently came across this little treasure trove:

http://powercomics.tumblr.com

It's pretty much gold all the way down.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have always thought Kaare Andrews was a good artist. Sure he experiments with different styles so you can go from this:

or this

to something like this:

which is pretty freaking bad.

All in all his covers are usually visually stunning and interesting while his interiors can be....hard to look at I guess. Anyway, some promo stuff for his Iron Fist series has come out and I might just have to change my opinion about his interiors.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Not really bad art so much as "ha ha this is stupid, huh?" but the colorist for this week's All-Star Western apparently forgot that Jonah Hex fought for the CSA and decided to draw him in blue for half the issue.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Fantastic Four Annual #16

So good and yet so bad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sef! posted:

It's pretty much gold all the way down.

One of these guys is begging for a Johnny 5 Aces treatment...

quote:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Now his chest looks like some kind of hosed up frowning Muppet.

Made even better by the "oh god, no," pose the guy on the ground is making.

Alternatively: his nipples are looking for you.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Fantastic Four Annual #16

So good and yet so bad.

This must be where Ramos got his inspiration from.

Form Annihilation: Conquest - Starlord #4

What the gently caress is this poo poo? How can such a glaring continuity error make it to print. My god that's loving terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

itskage posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? How can such a glaring continuity error make it to print. My god that's loving terrible.

What are you talking about?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
His mask.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Rhyno posted:

What are you talking about?

His mask is flipped in opposite directions between panels.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Now, some bad 90s X-Men art:

That's either a Nerf gun or Jubilee (who's now a vampire?) is really strong.

"I'm gonna out-titty you, bitch!"

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

TwoPair posted:

Not really bad art so much as "ha ha this is stupid, huh?" but the colorist for this week's All-Star Western apparently forgot that Jonah Hex fought for the CSA and decided to draw him in blue for half the issue.

When looking at this, all I can see is a poor, unfortunate, mutant horse with a head that looks like a gun holster.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

goatface posted:

His mask.

That's not exactly a huge continuity error and kind of a petty thing to be flipping out over.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Kingdom posted:

That kind of style was all over Marvel in the late 1990s but I'm not sure how to describe it; I'm thinking of stuff like Salvador Larocca and then Carlos Pacheco on Fantastic Four, Alan Davis and Chris Bachalo on X-Men and so on. It sort of occupied the space after the x-treme nineties style going out of fashion, but before Ultimates made the "cinematic" style popular.

I guess I sort of like it, even though those particular covers are a bit dumb-looking. :shrug:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Crossposting from the Spider-Man thread. That leg means business.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rhyno posted:

That's not exactly a huge continuity error and kind of a petty thing to be flipping out over.

Funny, because flipping is exactly what happened to the panel - his mole moved as well. That's not an art error, it's an editing error and the editor is a fuckwit.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Edit: /\ this is what I get for not refreshing before hitting submit.

Rhyno posted:

No, it's a huge error. It's not a problem for the story or anything, but it's visually disruptive. An entire panel is backwards. It's not like something like an object in the background shifted or a pouch was on the wrong side of a costume.

It's really obviously incorrect and so it's pretty jarring when reading it. His mask was like that since the beginning of that issue, and then suddenly it's flipped. In fact it looks like the whole panel was flipped. Even the mole on his face is on the wrong side. So someone deliberately flipped it! What the hell?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Crossposting from the Spider-Man thread. That leg means business.

That image turns into a Giger image the more I look at it. It's just so full of "What's that? Why is it here? Are those aliens, metal bars, and lots of mostly naked/in skin-tight clothes females? Is it supposed to be a reference?"

It's almost genius in it's shear awfulness.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The lady in blue -- where did her right leg go? :confused:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
The image is probably a trace, that's why the poses don't fit the action or the flow.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

DrSunshine posted:

The lady in blue -- where did her right leg go? :confused:

It turned into a brood :aaa:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I think it's just completely obscured by the green dress. That's one bit I can actually believe about that image.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

itskage posted:

This just reminded me that I have some weird Guardians of the Galaxy art on my computer. This is from Guardians of the Galaxy #9:

What the hell is this? This issue had multiple art teams I think, and whenever it cut back to these characters this same team was doing the art and making everybody look weird. Is there a story behind why this looks so awful?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

This just reminded me that I have some weird Guardians of the Galaxy art on my computer. This is from Guardians of the Galaxy #9:

What the hell is this? This issue had multiple art teams I think, and whenever it cut back to these characters this same team was doing the art and making everybody look weird. Is there a story behind why this looks so awful?

Regular artist falls behind, they have to pull in somebody to finish the issue to get it out on time. Happens all the time.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

That one's pretty bad, but I love seeing all of the different ways Rocket is drawn.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Same. I would have thought that they'd have at least some standard design that artists have to work off of, but I like that nobody really gives a poo poo and just draws and colors Rocket however they want.

Rhyno posted:

Regular artist falls behind, they have to pull in somebody to finish the issue to get it out on time. Happens all the time.

I figured it must have been something like that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Ah, the time Bachalo started drawing everyone to look like they were 9 years old--it's actually pretty surprising how different the beginning of his Generation X run looks (beautiful, amazing) compared to when he left it (eh). I didn't like this era of Bachalo's art too much, but he still knew what he was doing and put out good looking monthlies.

My favorite part of the end of his GenX run is that the last page he drew is half-taken up by a self-portrait attached to a giant parachute, flying away.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 31, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I was going through Age of Apocalypse over the weekend and got to Generation Next, which was a Bachalo issue, and I could not have guessed that it was by him unless you pointed it out beforehand. I'm not a fan of his work on Uncanny, but goddamn I do have to give him credit for almost entirely reinventing his own style, although obviously the colouration is a big part of that, too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

Neither Chris Bachalo nor Terry Dodson as a bad artist.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

Endless Mike posted:

Neither Chris Bachalo nor Terry Dodson is a bad artist.

Seconded, Bachalo is one of my favorites despite his inconsistent habits. If you're taking the Jubilee cover as a serious attempt to make her a 90's-style badass.... I don't even know.

Edit: Dodson isn't GOOD but gratuitous cleavage doesn't automatically make art bad. It's just completely forgettable (especially compared to Jubilee as a Liefeldian caricature which I kind of love.)

Faustoan Bargain fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 31, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Faustoan Bargain posted:

Edit: Dodson isn't GOOD
No, he's FANTASTIC.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

redbackground posted:

No, he's FANTASTIC.

Whoops, vague phone posting. I meant that specific Dodson cover is just unremarkably bland. In general, yep, he's pretty drat good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I guess that was the peak of manga-influence in American superhero comics, what with guys like Bachalo, Joe Mad and a few others.

Curiously enough, I've seen the Howard Porter and John Dell's work on JLA from around the same timeframe put in the same category. I guess I could kind of see it if JLA had been more brightly coloured?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Faustoan Bargain posted:

If you're taking the Jubilee cover as a serious attempt to make her a 90's-style badass.... I don't even know.

I don't think Jubilee was ever a bad-rear end. In the GenX run, she got about a half-dozen makeovers by different artists. She looks about ten years old here.

As for the tits, have there been many comic women with "normal" busts?