Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

The Leon Hikari posted:

So I picked up a PowerMac G4 933mhz with a 60gb hard drive and no ram for $3. What can I do with this thing after I load some ram in it?

There is an old Mac thread around here. Try to find it and ask there. I still use a G5 regularly at home for development work for old files. These machines are useable but you don't want to spend much on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

The Leon Hikari posted:

So I picked up a PowerMac G4 933mhz with a 60gb hard drive and no ram for $3. What can I do with this thing after I load some ram in it?

I believe you can run NetBSD on it -- probably OpenBSD as well. Make it a little home server.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Could buy a more powerful machine that consumes far less power for the cost of that RAM, for a server.

I got one of those for free and I just threw it out. Wouldn't be worth keeping it running.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

The Leon Hikari posted:

Install Classic on it and enjoy the nostalgia?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Check the bargain bins at your local computer store for A-10 Cuba Mac, then have fun dropping tactical nukes on the hangar floor. See how far away you can land the ejector seat after the explosion. Best flight sim ever because they actually bothered to show an explosion instead of a text box saying 'Oh wasn't that fun'

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 27, 2014

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

feld posted:

I believe you can run NetBSD on it -- probably OpenBSD as well. Make it a little home server.

You definitely can run linux for PPC in that.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
I'm looking for a solution for printing from iOS devices, whether it be hardware or software or some sort of custom print server. There seems to be a slew of apps, free and paid for printing over wireless from an iOS device. Does anyone have a suggestion for an office with printers in a windows environment?

Anyone have any experience with Lantronix xPrintServer? I suppose it doesn't really matter if the printers are primarily being used by Windows users if a device such as that just goes out and discovers printers on the LAN and prints directly to the IP. Looks like a decent product, just looking for any first-hand experience or opinions.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Need a recommendation for a lightweight email client capable of handling Gmail and other POP/IMAP accounts that isn't Sparrow or Mac Mail. Sparrow has been making GBS threads the bed under Mavericks for a friend who's dying for a good alternative.

I see the OP mentions Airmail and Mail Pilot, what are the best ones currently available?

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Anton Chigurh posted:

Need a recommendation for a lightweight email client capable of handling Gmail and other POP/IMAP accounts that isn't Sparrow or Mac Mail. Sparrow has been making GBS threads the bed under Mavericks for a friend who's dying for a good alternative.

I see the OP mentions Airmail and Mail Pilot, what are the best ones currently available?

Airmail. Replaced Sparrow for me and I haven't looked back. They are constantly pushing updates and improving it as well. As I understand, it even has Exchange support (I haven't personally tried it)-- I definitely recommend it if you're looking for a mail client.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

goobernoodles posted:

Anyone have any experience with Lantronix xPrintServer? I suppose it doesn't really matter if the printers are primarily being used by Windows users if a device such as that just goes out and discovers printers on the LAN and prints directly to the IP. Looks like a decent product, just looking for any first-hand experience or opinions.

Last time I looked if your routers aren't set to propagate Bonjour over segments it's a no-go.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

goobernoodles posted:

I'm looking for a solution for printing from iOS devices, whether it be hardware or software or some sort of custom print server. There seems to be a slew of apps, free and paid for printing over wireless from an iOS device. Does anyone have a suggestion for an office with printers in a windows environment?

Put Presto on your Windows print server, and never have to worry about it again.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Are there any Mac security programs that aren't straight snake oil? I have an older iMac that has been running exceptionally lovely since it started regularly having two users logged in. I'm not sure if it's just the 2gb of ram showing its limitations or if somehow a piece of malware is making GBS threads it up.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Pan Ache posted:

just the 2gb of ram showing its limitations

I'm pretty sure this explains everything.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
The only major system changes recently have been installing maverick systemwide and battle.net on a separate user account. vOv

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mavericks and two simultaneously logged in users? Yeah I'd say the 2GB of RAM is your problem.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
It pains me having two logged in users with 4GB RAM, I can't even imagine what it's like with just two.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I mean, it's not terribly difficult to tell. Open Activity Monitor, go to the Memory tab, and look at the Memory Pressure graph. Is it red a lot? That's bad.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
But you get your choice of topping!

(Actual content: you get your choice of processes to kill!)

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

dox posted:

Airmail. Replaced Sparrow for me and I haven't looked back. They are constantly pushing updates and improving it as well. As I understand, it even has Exchange support (I haven't personally tried it)-- I definitely recommend it if you're looking for a mail client.

Thank you, looks like the perfect solution. My friend and I are both switching to it.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I have the App Store Mavericks installer. If I copy it to a USB (the correct way) will it boot and install on a 2012 macbook pro? Or will I need to install Lion then upgrade?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

lol internet. posted:

I have the App Store Mavericks installer. If I copy it to a USB (the correct way) will it boot and install on a 2012 macbook pro? Or will I need to install Lion then upgrade?

It will do a clean install. The check on your current OS happens when you try to download/buy it (and when you try to do an in place upgrade I guess).

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Oneiros posted:

It will do a clean install. The check on your current OS happens when you try to download/buy it (and when you try to do an in place upgrade I guess).

It's actually my cousins laptop. The hard drive failed so I wanted to avoid doing the in place upgrade if possible since it just takes double the time basically.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have two, likely unrelated problems that I driving me crazy. Early 2013 (pre-refresh) MBP running Mavericks.

1. The speaker balance drifts. Every couple of days ago, after simply plugging in/unplugging headphones I'll find that the speaker balance is off. I have to reset it from System Preferences. I only ever occasionally use iTunes, so I have no idea what would cause this.

2. Two-finger swiping stops working. I can still use two fingers to move around in Chrome, etc., but the swipe to go back (or "up" in Clear) stops registering. In both Chrome and Clear, the content "bounces" because the gesture to overcome edge friction doesn't register. Restarting seems to fix.

Both are incredibly annoying. The first one I've experienced off and on for years, across multiple machines and versions of OSX, and it shows up on Google, so I guess I'll have live with it. The second is new, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a step-by-step guide for rolling out Mavericks Server from scratch kicking around anywhere that includes best-practices, because I'm almost embarrassed to admit that it's giving me nothing but trouble.

I originally started by ensuring that the server was the DHCP and DNS host (a la Active Directory) but now I'm starting to realise I might have over complicated things and mDNS/Bonjour takes care of things like service announcements and Mac clients know where to look automatically.

Or is best-practices simply a case of letting Server.app pick the defaults for you?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Caged posted:

Is there a step-by-step guide for rolling out Mavericks Server from scratch kicking around anywhere that includes best-practices, because I'm almost embarrassed to admit that it's giving me nothing but trouble.
Get the 'official' Server Essentials 10.9 book. It's the one for the ACTC test, and it goes over best practices step-by-step.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Caged posted:

I originally started by ensuring that the server was the DHCP and DNS host (a la Active Directory) but now I'm starting to realise I might have over complicated things and mDNS/Bonjour takes care of things like service announcements and Mac clients know where to look automatically.

Or is best-practices simply a case of letting Server.app pick the defaults for you?

I don't think you've over-thought it at all. My first rule of Server.app: always have fully qualified domain name for the server. This usually involves setting up a single DNS record for the server, even if it's something like "home.office". I just set up Server for my girlfriend's place yesterday:

Once DNS is online, change the DNS entry on the primary network interface so it looks to itself. It you intend on running any services, like Messages or Calendar, you'll find they work much better.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 29, 2014

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Kobayashi posted:

I have two, likely unrelated problems that I driving me crazy. Early 2013 (pre-refresh) MBP running Mavericks.

1. The speaker balance drifts. Every couple of days ago, after simply plugging in/unplugging headphones I'll find that the speaker balance is off. I have to reset it from System Preferences. I only ever occasionally use iTunes, so I have no idea what would cause this.

2. Two-finger swiping stops working. I can still use two fingers to move around in Chrome, etc., but the swipe to go back (or "up" in Clear) stops registering. In both Chrome and Clear, the content "bounces" because the gesture to overcome edge friction doesn't register. Restarting seems to fix.

Both are incredibly annoying. The first one I've experienced off and on for years, across multiple machines and versions of OSX, and it shows up on Google, so I guess I'll have live with it. The second is new, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Tried all the usual 'magic fixes' of resetting SMC etc?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Ok, I've searched high and low and I'm not sure what the gently caress is going on.

I have this issue with Safari and imgur where some images just appear as black and don't display. I don't have any ad blockers installed.

The only thing I can think of is there's some cruft left over since I've done upgrades from 10.7->10.8->10.9?

I really hope I don't have to do a fresh install here as that would be pretty drat annoying. I turned off extensions and it's still happening.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

Ok, I've searched high and low and I'm not sure what the gently caress is going on.

I have this issue with Safari and imgur where some images just appear as black and don't display. I don't have any ad blockers installed.

The only thing I can think of is there's some cruft left over since I've done upgrades from 10.7->10.8->10.9?

I really hope I don't have to do a fresh install here as that would be pretty drat annoying. I turned off extensions and it's still happening.

Have you done safari>reset safari? This'll clear cache/etc and might fix it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Kingnothing posted:

Have you done safari>reset safari? This'll clear cache/etc and might fix it.

Nope, didn't work.

Here's an example image: http://imgur.com/S8aBf05

Just turns black once the image is fully loaded.

I guess I'll do a clean install and see if it fixes things. I probably should, this thing has been through hell anyway.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Right, gently caress 10.9.2 and/or gently caress Server 3.1.1.

• Turn on a file share, set permissions correctly, default is to share over SMB and AFP.
  • 10.9.2 client tries to use the share via SMB2, fails with the generic Error -36. Console log on client complains about smbfs errors all over the place.
  • Use a Windows 8.1 client connecting to the same share, transfer works perfectly. Use a 10.9.2 client to connect to a file share hosted on another 10.9.2 client (that doesn't have Server 3.1.1 installed) and it works perfectly.
  • Turn off SMB on the file share expecting it to fall back to AFP, and it stops showing up in Finder as a shared volume, but works if you manually connect.

None of this is particularly helpful to someone who has Mac clients and wants to use a Mac server, and has been unfortunate enough to update to the latest versions of everything.

The really strange thing is the 10.9.2 client to client working perfectly, but not 10.9.2 client to a 10.9.2 Mac with Server 3.1.1 installed.

There's a lot of Apple forum posts about the issue with no real solutions, other than connecting via AFP, which isn't ideal because people want to browse through the Finder.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

Nope, didn't work.

I guess I'll do a clean install and see if it fixes things. I probably should, this thing has been through hell anyway.

Have you tried a different web browser, just to narrow down if it is the OS or web browser?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

IUG posted:

Have you tried a different web browser, just to narrow down if it is the OS or web browser?

Yeah. Works fine on Firefox but I like safari because of the sharing with my ipad/iphone.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

LmaoTheKid posted:

Nope, didn't work.

I just tried this and it turned black after a second. I opened up chrome and it worked fine. I have on and off issues with Imgur on Chrome/Safari. Sometimes clearing the cache/cookies for imgur will fix it but it acts up again. I haven't found any surefire way to fix this.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

serebralassazin posted:

I just tried this and it turned black after a second. I opened up chrome and it worked fine. I have on and off issues with Imgur on Chrome/Safari. Sometimes clearing the cache/cookies for imgur will fix it but it acts up again. I haven't found any surefire way to fix this.

Ok so it's a bug. I guess I won't reinstall after all. Thanks!

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010
I've recently recieved a new Macbook Pro for work which is great even with being new to Mac, it has FileVault etc. installed and we use an AD environment. Altogether it works however after a reboot I don't get the option to log into my AD account, I have to log into a temp account, once I log in I can just log out immediately and my AD account is available to be logged into. I've tried going through all the settings in the Users System Preferences screen (I'd hoped that name/pass boxes would have worked but it doesn't).

A bit of googling tells me this is FileVault related but our internal IT have simply shrugged their shoulders as they don't know what to do with it and don't have time to investigate.

Does anyone know what needs to be done to get my AD account available on the initial boot screen?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you have the option to make it a mobile account?

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010
My account was created as a mobile account (and is listed as such).

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

door.jar posted:

My account was created as a mobile account (and is listed as such).
Is it enabled to unlock FileVault?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Sonic Dude posted:

Is it enabled to unlock FileVault?

Yes, I can turn off FileVault apparently. I can't leave it off without breaking company policy but I can disable it to make a change if required.