Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

ullerrm posted:

Ripard isn't your community advocate; Mynnna and Kesper are your advocates.

I'm not a member of goonswarm and I'm fairly certain that I didn't give Mynnna my vote (sorry Mynnna). Kesper I think I had on there. I also think I gave Ripard a vote as well. You can bet that's not happening again.

ullerrm posted:

Firstly, Ripard has very little influence as a result of being CSM.
Secondly, you don't need to be on CSM to get direct access to CCP staff.

Both true, but the amount of influence you wield and the degree to which others can gain access to it are not factors on whether you are wielding power in an inappropriate fashion. What influence Ripard has in this fashion was granted to him at the communities behest for certain reasons. His misuse of it, however trivial or not the impact, is still misuse.

powers posted:

friggin argleblargle/tim neilsen

Wow, how mad would you be?

Sir_Substance fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laducks
Jan 13, 2012

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Is the Retribution any good? I'm uncomfortable with having only two mid slots.

I used to run a kiting retribution solo or in a small gang with a good deal of success, although that's probably not the ship being good so much as the average nullsec player being awful. If you've got the missile skills the hawk, vengeance and crow are better options.

Amyclas
Mar 9, 2013

How did that titan manage to be in a position to shoot a jump freighter alone?

I just bought a dominix for ratting. Do rats still target heavy and sentry drones?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Amyclas posted:

How did that titan manage to be in a position to shoot a jump freighter alone?

I just bought a dominix for ratting. Do rats still target heavy and sentry drones?

Stalk someone with your cyno alt, learn their habits, wait for them to become vulnerable, cyno in your titan, shoot, run.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Sir_Substance posted:

Both true, but the amount of influence you wield and the degree to which others can gain access to it are not factors on whether you are wielding power in an inappropriate fashion. What influence Ripard has in this fashion was granted to him at the communities behest for certain reasons. His misuse of it, however trivial or not the impact, is still misuse.

This is the most wishy-washy bullshit I've seen outside of E/N -- and I read the GBS bitcoin thread, for god's sake.

He's just a guy. He writes a blog, which is a shorthand way of saying that he puts a bunch of :words: on the internets, and people choose to read it and either agree or disagree with it. The influence that he has on CCP is minimal. FFS, do you think this thread (or previous incarnations of it) had influence on Eve's design because Stoffer became a dev? Hell no. (You might as well argue that Paul Krugman misuses his influence upon Obama.)

Ripard saw something in Eve that he felt was douchey, and he commented on it. The fact that people responded to that positively implies only one thing: that he's not the only one who thinks it's douchey.

Unrelated to this retardation: TimNeilson, you are doing god's work. If you're coming to Fanfest this year, give me a shout, and we'll meet up at Laundromat again, my treat.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hommando posted:

Stalk someone with your cyno alt, learn their habits, wait for them to become vulnerable, cyno in your titan, shoot, run.

It also helps that the system is two jumps from our home and that group has put up a massive pos farm that spans the surrounding 4-5 systems. It also helps that we've had cloaky eyes in the system for the last week to harass the people we scammed into moving there.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Is there any proof that the Minerbumping article on Erotica1's ban is legit? It's literally the only original source and that site is not exactly reliable journalism.

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster

Tolth posted:

Is there any proof that the Minerbumping article on Erotica1's ban is legit? It's literally the only original source and that site is not exactly reliable journalism.

Erotica hasn't logged on since that post was made, and I don't see what reason James 315 would have to lie about something like this.

CCP also posted an announcement saying that they take real life harassment very seriously and what not.

However, nobody can really know how long that ban will last for - whether it's permanent, applying to just one account or whatever. He could be back in 30 days for all we know.

Margaret Thatcher fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 29, 2014

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Margaret Thatcher posted:

However, nobody can really know how long that ban will last for - whether it's permanent, applying to just one account or whatever. He could be back in 30 days for all we know.

:ironicat:

Back to frigate chat, apparently in Freedom Squad we want to try some kind of Rocket hawk in lieu of the EG frigfleet LML hawk. I know a lot of folks in EG have hawks already, so if we are still in the design stage I think we should probably try to match the rigs. For reference, here is the frigfleet hawk from the wiki:

[Hawk, FrigFleet]
Pseudoelectron Containment Field I
Ballistic Control System II

Experimental 1MN Afterburner I
Medium F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
Upgraded EM Ward Amplifier I
Phased Muon Sensor Disruptor I, Scan Resolution Dampening Script

Light Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Light Missile
[empty high slot]

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Processor Overclocking Unit I

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD
After almost 6 years of backseat FCing and autismal rage, I finally stepped up and FC'd a (successful!) scheduled roaming fleet for the first time ever last night. I'd be surprised if our fleet had 800dps between the 12 of us combined but we somehow pulled off a region-wide droneboat genocide and filled our front page with more green links than red :toot:. Our interceptor guys were especially at the top of their game.

http://droog.rwpcomputers.com/?a=kill_related&kll_id=60159
http://droog.rwpcomputers.com/?a=kill_related&kll_id=60171
http://droog.rwpcomputers.com/?a=kill_related&kll_id=60173
among other things

Sentinel is one good-rear end support ship I will never grow weary of flying (EAF V. That's me, I have EAF V. Ask me about having EAF V.). I'd have never died had I not burned out my mwd trying to inch the domi away from the gate with massed frigate gang bumps. Also, in recent getting dead news, I finally got podded for the first time in almost 16 months a few nights ago. Fortunately it was a cheap clone compared to some I've been buzzing around in and with that lucky streak over and the prophecy fulfilled I'm no longer paranoid about plugging in HG Snakes.

Bean Head posted:

A jump freighter killed to a doomsday and no tackle on the kill mail is pretty funny. I'd like to know how that came to be though.

http://droog.rwpcomputers.com/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=60188

Cloaked Eris in system would have seen a cyno pop up, warp to check it out and activate its only offensive mod - the bubble. If the JF doesn't try to warp while in the bubble, it doesn't register on the killmail. While its bubbled, a second character warps to the cyno and lights his own to deliver :greatgift: Judgement :greatgift:

Schlampa
Dec 28, 2006

I have a feeling that Erotica 1s 'ban' is voluntary because of all the publicity he's been getting.

That is if the Erotica 2, the only new isk doubler in eve, spamming in Jita isn't him.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

I don't see what reason James 315 would have to lie about something like this.

I'm not allowed to reply to posts with 'lmao' on this forum but I think you should consider this statement carefully.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Amyclas posted:

I can't believe CCP banned Erotica1 because a lynch mob wanted his blood. They guy he scammed never filed a petition and even tried to calm things down after Jester went crazy with his blog.

Sokhar was far from the only person he scammed and the fact that he scammed them isn't the issue anyway.

Sir_Substance posted:

To me, the biggest issue with the whole thing is Ripard using his CSM influence to start the whole sequence of events. Players are not given direct access to CCP staff so they can request sanctions against other players. Regardless of outcomes against Erotica1's account, Ripard needs to be taken aside and have that explained to him. He is our representative solely as a community advocate. Decisions about what the playerbase considers acceptable are not his to make, nor unilaterally petition for.

I'm pretty drat displeased about his approach (ignoring everything else it could have easily sparked a shitstorm beyond EVE which isn't something CCP or the game needs) but reread the post again.

CCP Falcon posted:

For the last few weeks the community has been debating the topic of real life harassment, and its connection to the EVE Universe. The EVE Universe Community Team has been working on this issue for some time now, and has had extensive discussions about it with your elected representatives, the Council of Stellar Management.
Important bits bolded.

Jester's blog actually came out the 24th, less than a week ago, which is neither "a few weeks" nor what one really would think of (not what I think of, anyway) when I hear the expression "for some time now."

Let's, uh, also stop pretending to ignore that he was and still is by and far the most trafficked independent blogger in EVE and so that it's very reasonable to expect that the post would have have been noticed, commented upon, and run with even if he weren't on the CSM. I dislike Jester as much as the next goon (though my reasons are no doubt dramatically different) but fact is a lot of people read his blog and a lot of people do look up to him.

Klyith posted:

You might want to look at selling those off before the summer expansion. With the change to reprocessing / refining coming up, holding large quantities of t1 mods or hulls will have a lot more risk since you can't melt them down for the full input. Someone who knows more about markets & industry could tell me I'm totally wrong, but I think that will push the average prices of those items down.

Man, between losses from reprocessing and low/null finally getting a boost for industry, the summer expansion is going to be weird. The lower bound for ship hulls will drop back to insurance fraud values rather than the just-below-mineral-value. An interesting though I just had about this change is that the "I mined it so it's free" mindset could have a big comeback.

Depending on what BS they are this isn't really any big deal. Which direction minerals go is actually something I've thought hard about and am still not sure on, but setting that aside, they won't drop so far that he can't make money. The second point you're making, though, I don't think will happen.

Sir_Substance posted:

I'm not a member of goonswarm and I'm fairly certain that I didn't give Mynnna my vote (sorry Mynnna). Kesper I think I had on there. I also think I gave Ripard a vote as well. You can bet that's not happening again.
Aww. Perhaps this year? :shobon:

ullerrm posted:

CCP disagrees with Ripard on many other things, and honestly, their disagreements with him is why I'm currently winning at Eve.
I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about and I sympathize, though ironically one of my reasons for disliking the man stems from it.

mynnna fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 29, 2014

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

mynnna posted:

Aww. Perhaps this year? :shobon:

I am always open to bribes :jewish:

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Hommando posted:

I thought firing a doomsday made you unable to move for a period of time?

Mutamu
Aug 10, 2011

He's Doctor, (pause), Doctor Shark!
Immobile for half a minute, can't jump or cloak for ten minutes.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
If someone could please explain to me why people are so up in arms over Erotica1 being banned? It's pretty much industry standard to condemn the kinda thing he did and CCP dodged a huge bullet because if they had refused to do and it had gotten big (I don't like Ripard as much as the next guy but he opened pandora's box on this) they would be looking at some pretty big internet backlash.

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster

Alexzandvar posted:

If someone could please explain to me why people are so up in arms over Erotica1 being banned? It's pretty much industry standard to condemn the kinda thing he did and CCP dodged a huge bullet because if they had refused to do and it had gotten big (I don't like Ripard as much as the next guy but he opened pandora's box on this) they would be looking at some pretty big internet backlash.

They're not? I think most people recognise that he was doing some creepy poo poo and it's good that can longer do that.

Some people are angry because the whole thing probably wouldn't have been brought to CCP's attention had it not been the blog post of a single player. That obviously raises questions about the influence of certain individuals over the actions of GMs and CCP.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Alexzandvar posted:

I don't think anyone cares that Erotica 1 was banned. They care about any idiot pubbie being able to label something they don't like as "cyber-bullying or torture" then going to some sort of mass media and forcing CCP to do what they want. They also care about CCP making it really ambiguous as to what is okay and not okay.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

They're not? I think most people recognise that he was doing some creepy poo poo and it's good that can longer do that.

Some people are angry because the whole thing probably wouldn't have been brought to CCP's attention had it not been the blog post of a single player. That obviously raises questions about the influence of certain individuals over the actions of GMs and CCP.

If the entire thing had been nothing but a blog post by Ripard, nothing would've happened that wasn't already happening. It wasn't. It started with a blog post, but rapidly spread to an immense number of people talking about it. drat near everything ever starts with one person saying something and then other people attaching themselves to that. Also, if you actually read (something I question your ability to do) you'd see in the CCP post that they'd been discussing it for some time before Ripard's blog post, so it's questionable whether the threadnaught even mattered. This doesn't raise a question about if certain people have too much influence unless you think that people you disagree with shouldn't be allowed to share their opinion. He had an opinion, shared it, and many other people agreed with it.

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster

Booley posted:

If the entire thing had been nothing but a blog post by Ripard, nothing would've happened that wasn't already happening. It wasn't. It started with a blog post, but rapidly spread to an immense number of people talking about it. drat near everything ever starts with one person saying something and then other people attaching themselves to that. Also, if you actually read (something I question your ability to do) you'd see in the CCP post that they'd been discussing it for some time before Ripard's blog post, so it's questionable whether the threadnaught even mattered. This doesn't raise a question about if certain people have too much influence unless you think that people you disagree with shouldn't be allowed to share their opinion. He had an opinion, shared it, and many other people agreed with it.

I was just explaining why some people were angry about this, not myself personally - I'm glad the dude is banned and I'm glad that his creepy stuff was exposed.

It's not about whether he's a mouthbreathing pubbie or not, or whether we like his personality, but about safety while playing a game over the internet. I certainly don't want to be playing a game where there are people that will happily extort you in real life for in-game assets; I learnt that the hard way.

Margaret Thatcher fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 29, 2014

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Prencleeve taking a stand against creepy Internet behaviour, both with regards to Cerebral Wolf and Erotica 1.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Parpy posted:

http://droog.rwpcomputers.com/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=60188

Cloaked Eris in system would have seen a cyno pop up, warp to check it out and activate its only offensive mod - the bubble. If the JF doesn't try to warp while in the bubble, it doesn't register on the killmail. While its bubbled, a second character warps to the cyno and lights his own to deliver :greatgift: Judgement :greatgift:

It's actually a little bit more involved that that. I was getting ready to go to bed for the night when I saw a cyno pop up off a pos, and warped over to check it out. While I was in warp I saw an anshar on dscan, but forgot to drag the dude's name somewhere so I could keep track of it once it left system. The cyno guy logged off shortly after the anshar entered system, and the anshar was gone before I was able to warp over to the cyno, but I kept watching him for a couple minutes and the cyno logged back in. At that point I was like "oh poo poo he's gonna come back, I'll be able to actually catch him" and grabbed a suicide dictor from AAS, ran the two jumps over to KTHT, and cloaked up off the gate. I kept eyes on the station with my cyno ship, and when I saw him light the cyno again I warped the dictor to the cyno at 0, my cyno at 100, and bubbled, jumped in, and killed him. As an added bonus, because of the way his pos was set up I didn't even lose my cyno falcon, as it couldn't actually hit it with the guns it had on it. Here's a picture of the JF wreck for everyone to enjoy:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

TimNeilson posted:

As an added bonus, because of the way his pos was set up I didn't even lose my cyno falcon, as it couldn't actually hit it with the guns it had on it.

It was even better fighting the old NC when their poses were set up so poorly that the guns wouldn't shoot anything. Drop a cyno bomber at 0 on the pos to kill a JF or carrier, and most of the time it would live. Hell, they had poses where I'd kill the jump bridge / cyno gen and the pos would never shoot me.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Azuth0667 posted:

They also care about CCP making it really ambiguous as to what is okay and not okay.

Well, CCP has always been ambiguous about that. An immediate example could be cache-scrapping. They are judge and part in whatever relates to the interpeetation of the EULA. And, in any case, they can change it as they see fit.

STFU Pumpkinhead
Jun 25, 2000

I thought JFs were basically unkillable if piloted correctly? Is this just a really good example of how not to do it?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

STFU Pumpkinhead posted:

I thought JFs were basically unkillable if piloted correctly? Is this just a really good example of how not to do it?

Unless suicide ganked, pretty much unkillable. Laziness/being stupid loses you JFs.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Booley posted:

Pretty sure CCP was not "discussing" this issue for quite a while. They just said that to make it sound like they weren't getting their poo poo yanked around by the short and curlies of pubbie rage.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Nietzschean posted:

:ironicat:

Back to frigate chat, apparently in Freedom Squad we want to try some kind of Rocket hawk in lieu of the EG frigfleet LML hawk. I know a lot of folks in EG have hawks already, so if we are still in the design stage I think we should probably try to match the rigs. For reference, here is the frigfleet hawk from the wiki:

[Hawk, FrigFleet]

It won't be terribly optimal without changing the rigs, but you can at least upgrade the tank to almost full T2 and swap the useless-at-rocket-range damp for a TD:
code:
[Hawk, FrigFleet Rocket]
Internal Force Field Array I
Ballistic Control System II

1MN Afterburner II
Medium Shield Extender II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Upgraded EM Ward Amplifier I
Balmer Series Tracking Disruptor I, Optimal Range Disruption Script

Rocket Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Rocket
[empty high slot]

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Processor Overclocking Unit I
48km range -> 15km range, +30m/s (+4%), +1500 EHP (+13.5%), -8 DPS (-4.5%), +5m isk cost (IFFA)
* Some Hawks can exchange the TD for a meta 4 disruptor or web
* It can be fit without the IFFA by downgrading the invuln at the cost of about 500 EHP.
* If you ditch the vestigial ACR rig (about 1m?) for a CDFE (500k), you gain an additional +1500 EHP for 14k total.
* Downgrading one tank mod and switching the ACR for a Hydraulic Bay Thruster gains you an extra 2.5km of range (17.5km total)

I'm not sure that a rocket Hawk doctrine would scale up well due to the short range. With faction rockets it does roughly the same applied DPS as a Rage LML Hawk at just over a quarter the range, and you lose the ability to completely damp out a large portion of the opposing fleet, and need to rely on tracking/optimal reduction combined with higher close-range angular velocity. You're also far more vulnerable to being tackled.

There's pretty much no advantage to using rocket Hawks in fleet sizes greater than 10-15 other than integrated tackle.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

CainFortea posted:

Pretty sure CCP was not "discussing" this issue for quite a while. They just said that to make it sound like they weren't getting their poo poo yanked around by the short and curlies of pubbie rage.

The minute Ripard leaked the whole thing to the rest of the internet CCP's hand were tied. If CCP had refused to do something pretty much every games news site would be running stories on how CCP is indirectly saying harassment is okay.

Be glad CCP handled it in the way they did, it could have been much worse.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I couldn't find anyone who'd already did this so I generated evemon skill plans for every ship and mastery level based on the ISIS plans. If anyone is interested I put the plans up at https://github.com/Germstore/IsisSkillPlans/tree/master/SkillPlans. They don't include the hull skills but neither does ISIS.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Searching for a new doctrine for my squad has shown me something: Caldari is loving everywhere. It all comes back to Caldari, it feels like. There were a few things that I looked over that seem really awkward - Cyclones that desperately need an extra launcher and a smaller drone bay, the Vengeance, which has an awkward Rocket only damage bonus instead of Rocket and Light Missile. CCP has generally done a good job of making sure that lines of ships are consistent, such as how all the Caldari Railsnipers have the same bonuses. This is not true of the Vengeance, the Sacrilege doesn't have the short range only weapon restriction. It's a shame I don't get to call for such a good looking ship :(

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Red Crown posted:

Searching for a new doctrine for my squad has shown me something: Caldari is loving everywhere. It all comes back to Caldari, it feels like. There were a few things that I looked over that seem really awkward - Cyclones that desperately need an extra launcher and a smaller drone bay, the Vengeance, which has an awkward Rocket only damage bonus instead of Rocket and Light Missile. CCP has generally done a good job of making sure that lines of ships are consistent, such as how all the Caldari Railsnipers have the same bonuses. This is not true of the Vengeance, the Sacrilege doesn't have the short range only weapon restriction. It's a shame I don't get to call for such a good looking ship :(

I've noticed Caldari are everywhere as well. Is that due to the strength of tracking disruptors and damps at the moment?

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Thrasophius posted:

I've noticed Caldari are everywhere as well. Is that due to the strength of tracking disruptors and damps at the moment?

Railguns are currently really good, and huge range bonuses are really nice for large fleet / gang doctrines because you don't have to risk getting near tackle range nor care much about each fleet member's position or optimal. Damage and tracking bonuses for railguns are alright, but they don't give you the same range flexibility that you get from double optimal bonuses (where you can load AM for high damage at 25-50km while still keeping your 90-120km option with Spike).

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

STFU Pumpkinhead posted:

Warping a jf to a cyno beacon in Syndicate does not seem like correct piloting by sny stretch of the imagination.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

STFU Pumpkinhead posted:

Yeah, basically. If he'd cynoed in on the station in system there'd have been nothing I could have done about it.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Camping EC-Gate on a Newbee FC roam... caught this... "thing"

https://zkillboard.com/detail/37859833/

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Otacon posted:

Whats so rage inducing to me about this is the scorpion navy issue is one of my fav ships in the game, it has such an amazing tank.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Otacon posted:

I like his plan to use afterburners like ammo. Just perma-overheat each for the 50% speed bonus, and switch to the next one when it burns out. It's free real estate nanofibers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Not included in fit: Nanofibers.

• Locked thread