Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Why on earth don't they just equip every police car with a breath screening device? Even the cheap ones have got to be more accurate than some dumb test (and a hell of a lot less annoying too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
At least in the US, I think pretty much every police car/motorcycle carries a breathalyzer, and the field sobriety tests are used as more of a "first look" at whether someone is impaired, as well as giving police probable cause to arrest someone for DUI if they blow under the limit but fail the field tests.

I've served on a jury in a DUI case where the police arrested someone based on failed sobriety tests (the initial stop was for throwing litter out a car window) despite the person being under the legal limit, which wasn't enough to convince the jurors. In that case, the only tests used were the "walk and turn" and the gaze tests, so i suspect the backwards alphabet doesn't hold up in court very well.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
Also there are people like me who got bored at work one day and decided to memorize the alphabet backwards and can recite it just as quickly as forwards. And were still bored and decided to do it with Greek and Hebrew as well.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The Standardized Field Sobriety Test (SFST) is made up of the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus*, Walk-and-Turn, and One-Leg Stand tests. Of those the first one is the most reliable and least likely to have a false positive. Any other test like the backwards alphabet thing is most likely something the officer made up or saw someone else do and probably wouldn't hold up well in court.

CharlesM is mostly right in that failure to follow the instructions on each test counts against you and intoxicated people seem to have much more trouble with that than actually performing the test. Failure to successfully complete the test does of course count against you as well.

* This is the 'follow the tip of my pen back and forth one. A sober person's eyes will usually smoothly track back and forth while a intoxicated person's eyes will have a jerky motion. Try it out on your friends it's pretty cool.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

May Contain Nuts posted:

Also there are people like me who got bored at work one day and decided to memorize the alphabet backwards and can recite it just as quickly as forwards. And were still bored and decided to do it with Greek and Hebrew as well.

All you have to do is sing the little song in your head and then reverse each verse when you come to it.

Works on Greek and Hebrew too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Galler posted:

The Standardized Field Sobriety Test (SFST) is made up of the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus*, Walk-and-Turn, and One-Leg Stand tests. Of those the first one is the most reliable and least likely to have a false positive. Any other test like the backwards alphabet thing is most likely something the officer made up or saw someone else do and probably wouldn't hold up well in court.

CharlesM is mostly right in that failure to follow the instructions on each test counts against you and intoxicated people seem to have much more trouble with that than actually performing the test. Failure to successfully complete the test does of course count against you as well.

* This is the 'follow the tip of my pen back and forth one. A sober person's eyes will usually smoothly track back and forth while a intoxicated person's eyes will have a jerky motion. Try it out on your friends it's pretty cool.

No, the HGN is not the least likely to have a false positive. There's plenty of people with medical conditions, on non-impairing medications, etc who have HGN. Also, when done without a protractor, it has even more potential for error. I know that the academy training says it is much more fool proof than an actual expert, even a state expert will say. My brother has HGN all the time due to a medical condition, sober or drunk and half-trained cops have gotten pretty annoying for him.
Also, there is Romberg, Hand Pat, and a few others that can be used that aren't made up or something.

Honestly, at least in California (where you are allowed to refuse), the vast majority of people should refuse at the FSTs. The FSTs do little to help, because sober people do poorly on the FSTs too. For the walk and turn, 40% of people who show 2 clues (2 clues is essentially failing, but no one technically passes or fails any FST) are sober. The walk and turn is the most researched (and the number I remember without literature in front of me) and generally considered the best because of that. It still sucks. It comes down, at the end of the day, to you blood (or breath).

nm fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 29, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

welp, guess I got lied to by a bunch of different people. I don't think the walk and turn or the one leg stand are worth a poo poo (beyond can you follow simple instructions?) because I've seen a ton of sober people gently caress them up at only a slightly lower rate than drunk people.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

More lessons are probably needed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Real American Muscle showing everyone how to park.

To be fair, they probably followed the example of the Mustang who did the same thing two rows that I didn't get a picture of.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 29, 2014

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

American muscle breakin tables use timg ffs

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
That wing is atrocious.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Russian housewife showing everyone how to park.

Llllllllllike a glove.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Galler posted:

welp, guess I got lied to by a bunch of different people. I don't think the walk and turn or the one leg stand are worth a poo poo (beyond can you follow simple instructions?) because I've seen a ton of sober people gently caress them up at only a slightly lower rate than drunk people.

They all suck and honestly, I see them as a waste of time. I actually like the rohmberg the best because the internal clock thing can be useful. When a methhead estimates 8 seconds as 30, that is pretty decent proof. It is less useful for alcohol though because in near the limit cases, it is hard to argue that 25 or 35 seconds means anything.
The 30 minutes or so wasted on fsts add more error to the chemical tests and more reasonable doubt to the case. Every single jury I have ever interviewed has basically disregarded the fsts unless they just fall over.
On the other hand, as a defense attorney, a 1 hour delay from stop to blood draw with fsts is way better for me than a 20 minute delay and no fsts. I and any decent expert can extrapolate at least .02-.03 (more if they slammed a bottle of vodka) in a hour. 20 minutes, half of that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

opengl128 posted:

American muscle breakin tables use timg ffs

That's what I get posting a picture from my phone.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Uthor posted:

That's what I get posting a picture from my phone.

If you put an 'l' just before the .jpg imgur will give you a reasonably sized version of the image.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Unintended acceleration. Time to sue Land Rover and call 60 Minutes to invent false data on Land Rovers.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

dissss posted:

If you put an 'l' just before the .jpg imgur will give you a reasonably sized version of the image.

I mean, timg is fine, I just didn't even think about the size of the photo. The Awful App resizes them all to fit my screen.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Uthor posted:

I mean, timg is fine, I just didn't even think about the size of the photo. The Awful App resizes them all to fit my screen.

But if you paste the direct link to the "l" image, the forums automatically link the 640x480 image you pasted to the full size image.

timg sucks. it's either tiny or fuckhuge.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Powershift posted:

timg gives me a thumbnail that expands to the width of the window when clicked :confused:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Powershift posted:

But if you paste the direct link to the "l" image, the forums automatically link the 640x480 image you pasted to the full size image.

Don't click on the resolution text in the top left corner, click somewhere else in the pic, it auto-scales

This actually got me for a long time too

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

opengl128 posted:

timg gives me a thumbnail that expands to the width of the window when clicked :confused:

It only autoscales to barely bigger than the imgur large thumbnail for me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'll just stick to posting photos from home, I guess!

(I kid)

Went to the mall for the third time today (long, boring story). Coming off the highway, two left turn lanes onto a three lane road. I'm in the right hand turn lane turning into the middle lane. The car in the left lane decided to cut across all three lanes, just barely missing me, and giving me the finger when I laid on the horn. An accident would have royally ruined the day, probably causing me to miss my flight for vacation.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Today, at least four people moved over (usually after ignoring me for quite a while) when I high beam flashed them to get their asses out of the left lane... and then immediately pulled back out into the left lane and resumed pacing the person in the middle lane the second I went by.

Jesus people in this state are stupid.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

Today, at least four people moved over (usually after ignoring me for quite a while) when I high beam flashed them to get their asses out of the left lane... and then immediately pulled back out into the left lane and resumed pacing the person in the middle lane the second I went by.

Jesus people in this state are stupid.

People do that here all the time too, poo poo gets me heated. It's like they honestly believe that the left lane is their own personal loving lane.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

People do that here all the time too, poo poo gets me heated. It's like they honestly believe that the left lane is their own personal loving lane.

My theory: the right lane has vehicles entering/exiting the highway, the center lanes have traffic on both sides, but the left lane only has traffic on one side, so it requires the least amount of attention. This allows the driver to give more attention to their cell phone.

Or they're just assholes. :shrug:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Craptacular posted:

My theory: the right lane has vehicles entering/exiting the highway, the center lanes have traffic on both sides, but the left lane only has traffic on one side, so it requires the least amount of attention. This allows the driver to give more attention to their cell phone.

I tend to prefer the leftmost lane if only because I would only have to dodge idiots merging from one side. With obvious exceptions to idiots swerving into oncoming traffic, which thankfully has never happened to me.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Tha Chodesweller posted:

I tend to prefer the leftmost lane if only because I would only have to dodge idiots merging from one side. With obvious exceptions to idiots swerving into oncoming traffic, which thankfully has never happened to me.

Exactly this, except I also drive in the left lane because the middle lane is usually too slow.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I stay in the left lane for most of my commute as well, the difference is I'm usually going 5+ over the limit and consistently passing people. And I'll still move over promptly if there is somebody who feels 78mph just isn't illegal enough.

Craptacular posted:

No center lane, and only 4 exits in a 15 mile stretch that I commute on, but you're still probably correct, it's the easiest lane to sit and zone in if you are an rear end in a top hat.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I know mom favors the left lane because she's scared of the interstate and the left lane has a shoulder while being far from the ramps. Course, she only drives around Chicagoland and it doesn't matter how you drive on the interstates there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Why yes, it's perfectly acceptable to park on the sidewalk in front of the restaurant. Said sidewalk also has one of the handicapped ramps (not visible thanks to the truck parked on top of it).

:argh:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
He's got a truck with stuff in the bed. He's obviously on very important business and you are mean for making fun of him. :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Which is why the owner spent 2 hours getting completely shitfaced in our bar. :haw:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hope you either got him towed or called the cops on the drunk driver when he left?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My GM is too passive. :sigh: The upside is we don't use those stupid pizza signs on our delivery vehicles; when I saw him getting in his car later (while I was in my car), I made a big show of clapping and yelling "BRAVO, JUST BRAVO, YOU PARKED ON THE HANDICAPPED RAMP FOR 2 HOURS!" (without him knowing I actually worked there). I got the hand sign saying I was #1 as a response and a very loud "gently caress YOU!".

Unfortunately, to legally tow a car from a parking lot in most of TX, you have to have plenty of towing signs. We only have one such sign, and it's in the employee lot - but management has ordered a stack of those signs (there's a large regional music event occurring next weekend at the same stadium; signs should show up Monday). The signs are provided for free by the towing company; the towing company doesn't charge us anything to tow someone as long as we have the signs posted. The owner of the car has to pay a small fortune (several hundred) to get their car back - if they claim it the same day. Good luck if you wait a day or two.

Since my store backs up to a very popular stadium (close enough that people often park in our lot to walk over), even just the one sign means it takes one phone call to the towing company; they'll show up with their entire fleet and haul 50 cars away in about 30 minutes (this is seriously jaw dropping to watch, it's a weird mix of ballet and tow trucks). It's just better to have the signs very obvious, instead of the one faded sign that's somewhat behind a tree.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 30, 2014

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INMiXqP8vI0

Of particular importance to STR and myself. This is like 11foot8 but considerably more :stonk:

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 30, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seen it before, still makes me :laffo:

I'm a very regular pedestrian in that intersection (since Kelly's is right there, and I've been clipped twice while crossing the street there).

e: I really want their West Plano Burger now, you jerk. :argh:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Seriously what the gently caress is it with you guys and running red lights? I know- 10x the population of Australia so its statistically more likely to occur but every one of those car crash videos ive seen has people just blatently ignoring red lights. That just doesnt happen here in Australia- Red lights mean stop and people drat well stop! :psyduck:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ferremit posted:

Seriously what the gently caress is it with you guys and running red lights? I know- 10x the population of Australia so its statistically more likely to occur but every one of those car crash videos ive seen has people just blatently ignoring red lights. That just doesnt happen here in Australia- Red lights mean stop and people drat well stop! :psyduck:
A better grade of complete loving idiot and licences given out in cereal boxes.

Also, Aussies are probably far more uptight and law-abiding than their cultural zeitgeist tells them they are.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

N is for Nipples posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INMiXqP8vI0

Of particular importance to STR and myself. This is like 11foot8 but considerably more :stonk:

:patriot: Texas, our Texas, all hail the mighty state! :patriot:

Seriously, though, so glad I moved out of the metroplex. gently caress D/FW and it's retarded-rear end people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn that's a special kind of stupid. It's not like the traffic signal is hard to see, you just gotta look out your front windshield and apply some brakes if it's the wrong color.

And people still habitually blow right through it? :iiam: