Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Snacksmaniac posted:

I like the Bird Wizard one because it comes with a Bird Wizard.

Bird. Wizard.

Seriously, do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Bird wizard deck for sure, lots of fun interactions in that deck and you can use roon as your general instead too if you want to just blink things all day everyday.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
The esper deck also has a lot of really good tools. I took it and turned it into a sharuum control deck which I'm happy with.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

CountFosco posted:

The esper deck also has a lot of really good tools. I took it and turned it into a sharuum control deck which I'm happy with.

I also liked the Esper deck, though I went full hog with the life theme and made Oloro my commander.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've heard good things about the Oloro deck from real-life people, but at the same time blink abuse is a really good way to win in EDH even without Sylvan Primordial. I think I've seen more WUG decks on store shelves as of late, if that helps.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Derevi is super fun and versatile to use, and there are tons of combos and interactions that she can pull off. The activated ability is the clincher. I say go with the Bird Wizard.

Alternatively go with Prossh if you want to play with a big fuckoff dragon. But why would you do that when you have a Bird Wizard instead?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Snacksmaniac posted:

I like the Bird Wizard one because it comes with a Bird Wizard.

The only thing cooler than a Bird Wizard is a Bird Soldier Wizard :colbert:

Actually, I think it might be a Bird Soldier Warrior.

Birds have cool creature types. Play Bird tribal.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

And yet there is still no Lizard Wizard.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Please, we all know that the best wizard is a Weird Wizard.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'm digging through some old boxes today. I decided to dig out my boxes of unsorted foreign cards (Urza's block and earlier: all languages) and found a few gems.
The highlights were a German tip card for a Portal precon, a Chinese rules card (all characters, no art) and a German Storm Crow (!)
I wonder what else I've overlooked.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Top 2 draft match ended up going to time in MOCS, Tamas Glied lost, and nobody on commentary seemed to notice that Tamas Glied lost about a minute early in the match because Lars called a judge during Tamas's turn to figure out how to see the Exile Zone on the Beta client.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Anyone watching the SCG Charlotte coverage? There's some interesting decks out there today in response to the Esper domination last week.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Sloppy move on Reid Duke's part, letting his life total get low enough that he could get Obzedaddy'd out of the game like that. Was he thinking about Grey Merchant maybe?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Dmitriy Butakov gets softballs lobbed at him by Marshall such as "do you like your Standard deck?" and Dmitriy slams down a "we're talking about Magic Online, I don't want to use 'like' but I think I can play it with an acceptable win rate." Marshall called him Robocop and it was the best interview.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Time to c-c-c-c-cube!

http://www.twitch.tv/tweeternal_witness

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

morning wood posted:

Anyone watching the SCG Charlotte coverage? There's some interesting decks out there today in response to the Esper domination last week.

I've just started it up again, I really want to see BBD's standard deck list, I heard he's dropped Pack Rat, which I'm trying to determine the wisdom of, and I want to see if I should try to get more Brimaz.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
I'm trying to get back into Magic after not playing for quite a few years. I played back when it first came out until 6th or 7th edition. My brother was kind enough to sell all my cards (had some Beta, poo poo ton of Unlimited, lots of dual lands) like 5 years ago so I'm starting out from scratch.

On a whim after getting an urge to play I bought the 5 premade Magic 2014 decks on Amazon (came with 2 boosters each) and some boosters for my wife and I. Local store does standard each week for Friday Night Magic and booster draft tournaments on Thursdays. I figure I can give the drafts a go and maybe try modifying one of the premade decks into something usable for FNM. Any suggestions or things to look out for for someone just coming back?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Sorin Markov in edh is absolutely gently caress retarded and should be banned. That is all.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Night Danger Moose posted:

Sorin Markov in edh is absolutely gently caress retarded and should be banned. That is all.

Magister sphinx is worse since it can be reanimated/cloned, spreading the dickery to the entre table.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
OK Twitch can go eat my butt, that delay they force on people is real real bad. I'm about to stream some MBS at ~5s delay right here.

http://www.hitbox.tv/marchhare

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
So I hit up my first SuperIQ today running R/G Monsters and went an atrocious 0-3 winning literally a single game the whole thing before dropping. After dropping I thought "gently caress it, I called in sick to work and paid $25, I'm gonna play some god drat magic." Ended up going 3-0 and winning a box of RTR in a side event. My question is, as far as pure value would I be better off selling the box whole now, later, or busting it open and selling the value cards?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Someone brought Maze's End Fog to MOCS, amazing

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

On the other hand, it's nice that there's a way to attack lifegain.dec without having to rely on commander damage to beat a 4 digit life total.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Typhus733 posted:

So I hit up my first SuperIQ today running R/G Monsters and went an atrocious 0-3 winning literally a single game the whole thing before dropping. After dropping I thought "gently caress it, I called in sick to work and paid $25, I'm gonna play some god drat magic." Ended up going 3-0 and winning a box of RTR in a side event. My question is, as far as pure value would I be better off selling the box whole now, later, or busting it open and selling the value cards?

If your filthy fingers can leave the seal on the box, it's pretty much automatically going to double in price in the next 24 months, then level off. Sell when it hits $250.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Typhus733 posted:

Everything I've heard says that RTR is no longer in distribution, so it's very likely out of print at this point. I'd hold if I were you.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

I thought most people do ban it for games? Anything that sets hp to X that was intended for 20 hp starting games shouldn't be used in games starting at 40.

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002
Goon Revo is undefeated today so far in the MOCS, and is in contention for day 3, despite choosing a pretty loose deck for Standard.

Also, while the stream itself is awful due to the client & the technical cutaways are pretty bad, the color commentary is fantastic. Sutcliff, BDM & LSV make for fantastic depth on the board.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

morning wood posted:

All I've seen is Black splashing for red or white, with a smatter of Junk decks. Have been some fun games but black is definitely back to dominating. I've messed with various RUG Monster lists and they're really fun when they work. Maybe pushing the deck to be a Bident centric deck is a good idea instead of stuff like Primespeaker or Prophet. Think if we're gonna add anything Master Biomancer is the nuts in this sort of deck.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Maybe it's edh that's retarded? :v:

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007

Archenteron posted:

Magister sphinx is worse since it can be reanimated/cloned, spreading the dickery to the entre table.

I'd prefer my opponent play the magister because then I can use Willbender to turn the effect back on them. :mmmhmm:

I mainboard Children of Korlis just so I'm a less attractive target for Sorin. Also so I can recover after doing Angel's Grace/Ad Nauseam, but I haven't pulled that off yet.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

morning wood posted:

Maybe it's edh that's retarded? :v:

Here we go!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I've always thought that certain cards effectively working a lot better/differently in odd formats was best viewed as a feature rather than a bug, starting all the way back in the day when 'cast Syphon Soul in a huge game for VALUE' was earth-shattering tech. Like, why not just accept that card valuations change with formats and get on with playing the goddamn game?

If a card is actually distorting to a metagame or something, sure, whatever, ban it, but a lot of people seem to just be offended on principle that the mechanical implications of a line of text have changed, and that's not a great reason for banning cards. Say what you will about ~*~Sheldon~*~, the EDH rules committee generally seems to know what's up with their bans, and there's a reason poo poo like Emrakul is banned but Sphinx/Sorin aren't.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 30, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

morning wood posted:

Maybe it's me that's retarded? :v:

My state invented that format, sir. :colbert:

Four Score fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 30, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

priestofsyrinx2112 posted:

Goon Revo is undefeated today so far in the MOCS, and is in contention for day 3, despite choosing a pretty loose deck for Standard.

Also, while the stream itself is awful due to the client & the technical cutaways are pretty bad, the color commentary is fantastic. Sutcliff, BDM & LSV make for fantastic depth on the board.
Which one is he?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

priestofsyrinx2112 posted:

Revo is awesome so I hope he can make day three, haven't been able to watch any coverage what Standard deck was he on?

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002

Boco_T posted:

Which one is he?

Cory Lack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF0OTJDoBrU&t=158s

He just won-and-in'd for Top 4 tomorrow, while managing to kick out last year's MOCS champion. Looks like he's the only US dude to make it.

Edit: it looks like Russia's Robocop is still in, but Cory's got a great semi-final matchup tomorrow against Black/Blue.

Downtown Abey fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 30, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Awesome. He did the Rude Awakening and Rakdos Return blowouts, and he just gave a great interview. What an great dude. I hope he wins it all.

EDIT: Switched over to SCG stream and there is a guy in the Standard Open currently at 8-1 with MBD splashing blue with Psychic Strike in the main deck

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 30, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Boco_T posted:

Awesome. He did the Rude Awakening and Rakdos Return blowouts, and he just gave a great interview. What an great dude. I hope he wins it all.

EDIT: Switched over to SCG stream and there is a guy in the Standard Open currently at 8-1 with MBD splashing blue with Psychic Strike in the main deck
I tried Mono Black splashing Blue back at the beginning of Theros and it worked fairly well at that time. The main issue is sometimes it felt your top decks weren't as strong as straight black. Dimir Charm in a meta heavy with 2 power creatures, Psychic Strike for surprise blowout countermagic, and Pilfered Plans for card draw + loving with peoples scry. Notion Thief in the sideboard is always sweet. Ashiok in the sideboard for Control matchups or specific aggro lists where it does a lot of work.

It was just very hard to get the right numbers for the blue splash. If he's only splashing for Psychic Strike blowouts then maybe he's on to something.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So I played in this with this today. 30 people showed up. I went 3-0, lost to freaking Tron of all decks somehow, the ID'D into top 8 at 3rd place, where my deck decided to take a crap and give me nothing in 2 mulligans to 5 against the guy I tied with in the last round. So I got my money back and a playmat, but more importantly I got to laugh at the stupidest deck being played by an ok player making top 8 over everything else.

Round 1 I played some thing which I later learned was a Skred deck? Literally all I saw was game 1 a Reckoner, game 2 Volcanic Fallout (hit my turn 1 Arbor Elf and 2 turn 2 BTEs but for some reason left Garruk alone)Reckoner, and Blood Moon (the turn after Primetime made it irrelevant.) I got Garruk to 4 and Overran next turn with BTE, Elf, and Primetime for 18 trample to his 11 life and a Reckoner. He tried to block Primetime and do 9 to me. I explained that doesn't work because Primetime has double trample and that was game.

Round 2 vs. Another green mana ramp thing except not nearly as good (not to say that mine's actually good :v:.) I saw Vorapedes, Elvish Mystics, Lotus Cobras, Wolf Run, Predator Ooze, Nykthos, and Primetime.

He wins the Rock Lobster, Paper Tiger, Scissors Lizard. I go to 5, can't get a playable hand and lose to drawing nothing but land while he Wolf Runs me to death the turn before I got to T&N. Game 2 we go to 6, except he draws 7, so we both go to 5, and I ramp up hard and crush him with Emrakul. Funny note about this later. Game 3 is like game 2 except I ramp up even harderer and it's not even close.

Round 3 against Melira Pod, I get a good enough hand, drop Tooth and Nail pretty early, like turn 5?, leaving him with around 7 things post-Annihilator. He scoops. Funny note here, as above. Game 2 I go to 5, can't get anything approaching playable and pretty quickly lose. Game 3 goes way too long for my comfort. 4 turns in I really need to drop Primetime next turn, so I Genesis Wave for ONE, flipping Arbor Elf, which gets there (almost nothing happened before this.) Next turn I drop a Woodfall Primus on his Birthing Pod. He's left with something like 2 Hierarchs, 2 Birds, 4 lands, Viscera Seer, a Persisted Finks and Gavony Township. He draws another, but had apparently sac'd his one Noble Hierarch to scry for an answer, and he would have needed that extra mana to activate Gavony to unPersist his Finks, cast Pod, and Pod into Melira for all the life he ever needed, and to set up Redcap for the next turn. Fortunately he didn't do that, and I got to finally cast Tooth and Nail which got him out of range of being able to Pod into a win.

Round 4 I lose to Tron 0/2 somehow. Game comes to me having a terrible hand, drawing nothing but land and various mana sources. I drop Urabrask turn 3 with a BTE and elf for some beats until he lucky topdecks a Mine to finish Tron and drop an O-Stone the turn before he dies. Game 2 I go to 5 yet again, keep something almost passable, and lose to drawing 0 lands or mana sources because for some reason they clump together in this deck.

Round 5 I'm in 3rd, split with my opponent in 4th to top 8, and he and I go get a burrito at the mall.

Top 8

Round 1: he goes into top 8 in 6th place with me still in 3rd. And my deck really craps out hard. Game 1 I go to 5, start out fairly well with turn 3 Garruk which will probably be lethal with Overrun. He of course drops an Exarch on my turn and Twin on his. Game 2 is slower. I go to 6, keeping a hand with Garruk, Fracturing Gust, Utopia Sprawl, Harmonize, and lands. I drop the Sprawl, he kills it, and I eventually hit Primetime through Garruk. Aside from the single Primetime I drew nothing but mana sources (my games played almost exactly the same as against the Tron guy) and keep 5 mana open at all times after my turn 3 for the Gust. He drops a Resto on my turn when I'd normally be killing him if my deck would work and Kiki Jiki on his. I cast Fracturing Gust anyway and he shows me both the Twins in his hand. A mulligan, Harmonize, 6(?) draws, and somehow every time I looked through my deck, both Chokes were on the bottom 6 cards. I think I'm going to 4 because I hate blue in modern. I really can't think of a single deck that has blue that is fun to play with or against.

Tl; dr; I played 7 hours of Magic and essentially got a free playmat. Then I bought my 2nd Underground Sea for Shardless BUG with part of my tax refund.

Funny note from rounds 2 and 3: two games today I probably would have lost except people saw hasty Emrakul and scooped. Seriously, PLAY IT OUT! If you have lethal and a bunch of lands, you probably still have lethal even through Emrakul.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So today in Sealed I got to play against a guy playing red green. He played Nylea. And then Xenagod.

I got punched into dust.

• Locked thread