Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

A BA could not really get an less valuable.

True.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah, a BA pretty much is just a check in the box and it doesn't matter where it comes from any more. I recently saw an e-mail about a newly hired director who studied at University of Phoenix - Online.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ryan8723 posted:

I wasn't saying they shouldn't get anything ever, just that if athletes unionize in schools that run in the red that they will get nothing. The big schools can afford to treat players as employees. The small schools? Not so much.

I don't like the NCAA either but unionizing as "employees" is not the answer and will have a lot of bad unintended consequences.

If you can't do something right, don't do it at all?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

euphronius posted:

A BA could not really get an less valuable.

Apparently some BAs are now net-negative:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/03/26/payscale_college_salary_survey_what_school_will_make_you_poorest.html

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

I can't believe UNC-Asheville is on that list. I thought it was a pretty good school. Amazing that Fayetteville State made it for in state tuition! The chart is not clear, but somehow the school only costs 27k and your ROI is -40k, meaning going there actually makes you less valuable than not going to college at all (if I am reading it right, I can't click on the question marks to get more details)! Incredible

I wish that list reported by major. Last year my state (NC) wanted to do a study showing the ROI of individual majors at each university, but certain majors (I am sure you can guess which) practically rioted at the idea.

Also, I looked it up and at Appalachian State, 13% of the total cost of going to school is direct athletic fees, plus who knows how much more of the costs are hidden. I like sports and all, but that poo poo really makes me mad.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 28, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I think that's a terrible way to look at it. I didn't go to college to get a financial return on my investment. I went to learn things. Also there were plenty of things that couldn't possibly be quantified in monetary terms.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
You can't put a price tag on awkward drunken sexual encounters.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
more appropriate around here is you can't put a price on no mom to tell you you're staying up too late playing world of warcraft

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Ask me about the role of Yellow Fever in the Haitian Revolution.

I teach English overseas, why do you ask? :v:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sash! posted:

I think that's a terrible way to look at it. I didn't go to college to get a financial return on my investment. I went to learn things. Also there were plenty of things that couldn't possibly be quantified in monetary terms.

That's fine but in the context of this thread one of the arguments is that players are paid with a chance for a BA. Or a BS too but athletes don't get BSs.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

ryan8723 posted:

I wasn't saying they shouldn't get anything ever, just that if athletes unionize in schools that run in the red that they will get nothing. The big schools can afford to treat players as employees. The small schools? Not so much.

I don't like the NCAA either but unionizing as "employees" is not the answer and will have a lot of bad unintended consequences.

Protip: Even the overwhelming majority of the "big schools" are in the red when it comes to athletics, at least from an accounting standpoint. It's generally fewer than 5% of D1 programs.

I'd like you to explain how you're getting from A-to-B-to-C on this one. Players Unionize-???-Schools disband athletics. Do you think players are going to insist on such a high amount of money (in, as others have said, the alternate future universe where they're looking for salary) that the schools cannot afford to pay it? That doesn't strike you as wildly and obviously counterproductive for those student athletes?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Sash! posted:

I think that's a terrible way to look at it. I didn't go to college to get a financial return on my investment.

Well obviously, because PSU.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Why isn't athletics a major? If theater and music are majors, sports should be a major. You learn poo poo about nutrition, exercising, fuckin anatomy or whatever. Just formalize it and have it count as class credit. Have Business of Sports and Sports Biology and Sports Psychology courses. Even students majoring in other stuff could fill some GE requirements. You should be able to graduate with a BA about as useful as any other.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
That article about net-negative values for Bachelor's of Art degrees is just hilarious but it's a symptom of a larger problem: The U.S. has too many public universities. Realistically, about half of all universities should be shuttered since they cannot provide adequate education. But this will never happen because kickbacks the "value of higher education."

Also athletics is a major at 98 percent of universities, it's just usually called physical training/physical therapy/human physiology/exercise science and other things.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
The other problem with universities is how much money is dumped into administration and things which do not have to do with the alleged core objective of a university, which is to educate students (and at research universities, to help the population of the state). Just look at the gym on any campus, it is pretty much guaranteed to be by far the nicest gym in the city. Climbing walls, indoor pools., saunas, rows of equipment, etc. At Appalachian State every single student pays 71 dollars a semester just to service the debt on the gym they opened in 2006. That is more than the debt on our dining facilities, student union, our entire transportation system, and probably some other stuff, just for a drat gym!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Even more reason it should be a major. The athletic facilities get more money than science labs or the library. Gimmie my fuckin BA in Football And Such

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Maintenance and upkeep is ridiculously expensive, too. If you lump in gym facilities with athletic facilities, they cost your average university $10 million a year or more in general maintenance. That could pay for the education of around 200 students for the entire year.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Maintenance and upkeep is ridiculously expensive, too. If you lump in gym facilities with athletic facilities, they cost your average university $10 million a year or more in general maintenance. That could pay for the education of around 200 students for the entire year.

Fancy recreational facilities are tools for recruiting students and retaining local alumni interest (and donations). There's more space in universities than students to fill it, so they're starting to compete on amenities.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Are you just making up numbers?

Edit: To add to this discussion, I am completely for having a decent gym at a University. To build initially, it adds a little bit more to student fees, but it encourages good habits and helps promote physical activity to those who might not have otherwise exercised. For example, I know plenty of people who would never exercise if the gym didn't have a climbing wall, raquetball courts, or a swimming pool.

Also, I'm not sure how it's usually done, but if it's a decent school they should be able to fund the gym mostly through private donors. Also, in case anyone is unaware, no state money that would have gone to grants/scholarship/tuition rates/etc can be used for building/maintaining the gym. I'm guessing that's a nationwide thing for state schools, but I know it's true at U of MN (I work for Facilities there).

Kalit fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 29, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Deteriorata posted:

Fancy recreational facilities are tools for recruiting students and retaining local alumni interest (and donations). There's more space in universities than students to fill it, so they're starting to compete on amenities.

Not sure about all of this. I could have cared less how nice the gym was when I was looking for schools. I was looking at location of the school, graduation rates and the scholarship offers I could get.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Breaky posted:

Not sure about all of this. I could have cared less how nice the gym was when I was looking for schools. I was looking at location of the school, graduation rates and the scholarship offers I could get.

It could be relevant for players but I would guess you would hit diminishing returns really quickly.

It does make a good dick waving thing, so that part is probably true.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CharlestheHammer posted:

It could be relevant for players but I would guess you would hit diminishing returns really quickly.

It does make a good dick waving thing, so that part is probably true.

Oh, yeah relevant for recruiting yes. Regular students? I doubt it, but just my opinion.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
If a school doesn't have basic amenities like a gym or some kind of recreational facility, that seems like they would have trouble drawing in students based on campus life. Like, no gym or such would raise some red flags in my mind.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Breaky posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/10/education/10education.html?_r=0

The point is that academics only gets them so far, as there are lots of similar colleges with similar academics. Thus they're going for quality-of-life and recreation as a hook to get the last few students they need.

Ed: Here's an actual study on the issue: http://www.nber.org/papers/w18745?utm_campaign=ntw&utm_medium=email&utm_source=ntw

High-achieving students focus primarily on academics, while those a cut below care more about the gnarly rock-climbing wall than the reputation of the math department. Both fork over the same amount of money, so appealing to the more casual student pays.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 30, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

That article about net-negative values for Bachelor's of Art degrees is just hilarious but it's a symptom of a larger problem: The U.S. has too many public universities. Realistically, about half of all universities should be shuttered since they cannot provide adequate education. But this will never happen because kickbacks the "value of higher education."

They can provide perfectly adequate education but they're not known for sexy degrees.

My school is majorly (but not a majority) an engineering school and it's well known for those programs. If you get a history degree from here though you're kinda hosed just as much as if you were from a (more) no-name school. Quality of education does not matter.

Ribsauce posted:

The other problem with universities is how much money is dumped into administration and things which do not have to do with the alleged core objective of a university, which is to educate students (and at research universities, to help the population of the state). Just look at the gym on any campus, it is pretty much guaranteed to be by far the nicest gym in the city. Climbing walls, indoor pools., saunas, rows of equipment, etc. At Appalachian State every single student pays 71 dollars a semester just to service the debt on the gym they opened in 2006. That is more than the debt on our dining facilities, student union, our entire transportation system, and probably some other stuff, just for a drat gym!

I can guarantee you administration costs will be the vast majority of any of those costs you named and yet you spent most of this paragraph complaining about a gym.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

computer parts posted:

I can guarantee you administration costs will be the vast majority of any of those costs you named and yet you spent most of this paragraph complaining about a gym.

If people were honest with themselves they would rage against the bureaucrats suckling on the tit of success. But most people in their heart of hearts would like a job with a chair and minimal responsibilities, so, yeah how about those wasteful swimming pools, dogg.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'd argue that a fancy-rear end climbing wall is part of the core mission of a university.

Educate the body and mind. And given how fat everyone is around here, we're failing at that first one pretty badly.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sash! posted:

I'd argue that a fancy-rear end climbing wall is part of the core mission of a university.

Educate the body and mind. And given how fat everyone is around here, we're failing at that first one pretty badly.

We Are Obese

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chichevache posted:

We Are Obese

Pennsylvania is only the 24th most obese state. :colbert:

Seven of the top 10 are SEC states.

cujojp
Oct 31, 2011

NEVER FORGET
I'm late to the party here. But individual schools having their own unions does scare me a bit. As much as I agree that "student"-athletes should be getting compensation. I only fear that different schools having different unions will either:

a.) create an pay race, with big schools and boosters bringing big MLB-esque money to recruits. It's doubtful, but if more courts side with "student"-athletes on different schools I see no reason for it not to happen.
b.) if school's athletes do unionize nothing is stoping that school from now "firing" these students and hiring others.

I mean they're two extremes, but I think the NCAA needs to get its head out of it's rear end and realize students need to be compensated. And have some sort of equal pay for all positions and schools, or salary cap. Or continue to not pay players but let them get paid with endorsement deals similar to the Olympics.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I just want to take this opportunity to remind everyone that ttu has a lazy river on our campus.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

computer parts posted:

I am well aware administrative costs are crazy at universities and increase at a much faster percentage than instructional costs. I was looking at the financial statements for my school and the gym was broken out nice and conveniently, so that is what I picked for just a random example. I also picked it because when I was in school the gym was the hot university arms race. One state college opened a fancy one with a climbing wall, pools etc. and within 2 years I think every other school broke ground on their own. I think the new arms race is fancy dorms.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Ribsauce posted:

I am well aware administrative costs are crazy at universities and increase at a much faster percentage than instructional costs. I was looking at the financial statements for my school and the gym was broken out nice and conveniently, so that is what I picked for just a random example. I also picked it because when I was in school the gym was the hot university arms race. One state college opened a fancy one with a climbing wall, pools etc. and within 2 years I think every other school broke ground on their own. I think the new arms race is fancy dorms.

Student housing is a legitimate problem as almost every college has more students who want to live on campus than they have dorms

E: I feel as though we may have gotten off track a bit

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ribsauce posted:

That's very true, there really is an arms race for amenities on college campuses. In large part, I think, because few students seem to care how large their loans are until they come due. But that's a totally different conversation about the cost of attending college as opposed to college athletics.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Declan MacManus posted:

Student housing is a legitimate problem as almost every college has more students who want to live on campus than they have dorms

E: I feel as though we may have gotten off track a bit

It is tangentially related as the main reason a lot of athletic programs are in the red is that they're deemed separate institutions by the university. If they received support from the university like Every Other Program on Campus instead of having to be entirely self-sufficient, there wouldn't be a problem.

Hell, at my university they did the same thing with the dining program - for ~~Reasons~~ it had to be entirely self sufficient, and when it was deemed that it couldn't escape the red, it was sold off to a private company.

Thoguh posted:

That's very true, there really is an arms race for amenities on college campuses. In large part, I think, because few students seem to care how large their loans are until they come due. But that's a totally different conversation about the cost of attending college as opposed to college athletics.

It's not true.

Actually, if you want a good example of why not, look at the postal system - there are a few profitable parts of it (mostly cities, etc), and a lot of unprofitable parts. However, the profitable parts actually are so profitable that they (more or less) counteract the losses from the other areas.

Now what would happen if for some reason you decided to group all of the non-profitable parts as a separate entity from the profitable ones? Suddenly we have a budget crisis and we need to cut routes/salaries/etc.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 30, 2014

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

computer parts posted:

It is tangentially related as the main reason a lot of athletic programs are in the red is that they're deemed separate institutions by the university. If they received support from the university like Every Other Program on Campus instead of having to be entirely self-sufficient, there wouldn't be a problem.

Hell, at my university they did the same thing with the dining program - for ~~Reasons~~ it had to be entirely self sufficient, and when it was deemed that it couldn't escape the red, it was sold off to a private company.

This goes back to the history issue, as intercollegiate athletics started as a student-run operation outside of faculty control. Despite their best efforts, the faculties have never really gotten it under their own control. Colleges have never had enough money to fund their academic pursuits, and athletics have always depended on gate receipts to stay afloat.

Related to that, intercollegiate athletics, and particularly football, proved to be incredibly popular with administrators when it appeared. The first thing they noticed was that incidents of students getting drunk and tearing up the town, and most other off-campus problems, dropped considerably when football appeared, and student academic performance increased. It seemed that students getting wild and crazy for a few weeks in the confines of a stadium each Fall allowed them to burn off a bunch of excess energy and got them more able to focus on their studies.

They also noted that the increased esprit de corps created by athletics made for a greater sense of community and commitment to the school from both students and alumni, and made general governance far easier. I posted a comment to that effect from the President of Cornell from 1905 a few days ago in the Football History thread:

Jacob Gould Schurman posted:

“However strange it may sound to the critics,” he said, “it is nevertheless true that athletics have made it possible to govern, (because athletics have developed an esprit de corps,) hundreds, yes thousands of students in a single university year after year without the help of jury, court, or policeman. If the critics abolished baseball or football we should implore them, in the interest of academic discipline, to devise suitable substitutes or restore these games themselves.

So a pretty good argument can be made that athletics do indeed contribute to the academic environment of a college or university, and treating them as a purely mercenary venture is not accurate.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

computer parts posted:

It's not true.

Have you been on a college campus in the last decade? There is most certainly an amenities arms race. Dorms are being replaced by private suites, workout buildings are being replaced with huge rec centers with poo poo like lazy rivers and climbing walls. Those are big things that universities use to sell prospective students on the school.

Here's an article about it from the Chronicle of Higher Education

And the abstract of the paper they reference from the National Bureau of Economic Research

quote:

This paper investigates whether demand-side market pressure explains colleges’ decisions to provide consumption amenities to their students. We estimate a discrete choice model of college demand using micro data from the high school classes of 1992 and 2004, matched to extensive information on all four-year colleges in the U.S. We find that most students do appear to value college consumption amenities, including spending on student activities, sports, and dormitories. While this taste for amenities is broad-based, the taste for academic quality is confined to high-achieving students. The heterogeneity in student preferences implies that colleges face very different incentives depending on their current student body and the students who the institution hopes to attract. We estimate that the elasticities implied by our demand model can account for 16 percent of the total variation across colleges in the ratio of amenity to academic spending, and including them on top of key observable characteristics (sector, state, size, selectivity) increases the explained variation by twenty percent.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 30, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Deteriorata posted:

So a pretty good argument can be made that athletics do indeed contribute to the academic environment of a college or university, and treating them as a purely mercenary venture is not accurate.

I mean if nothing else they're a great advertising tool (how many people do you think went to Alabama or LSU just on the basis of football or because their parents just went on the basis of football).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Regular students value the perk stuff because they have to use it. Penn State having bonkers ag facilities for academic reasons was immaterial to most of the students because they never saw it. They did, however, have to have a place to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

kayakyakr posted:

I just want to take this opportunity to remind everyone that ttu has a lazy river on our campus.

I assume Lubbock is dry or something but do they allow drinking in that thing?

• Locked thread