Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost

xopods posted:

If you're going to play locally, R8 is probably better than R9 as it discourages the Q6 attachment to make shape - in response, Black can then bulge at Q7 and make a powerful shape himself.

Kosumi at Q7 is also an option.

But probably you just tenuki most of the time. The Black group is already alive and doesn't need an extension.

http://gogameguru.com/korea-wins-4th-zhaoshang-cup/

Saw an example of Q7 in Kim Jiseok vs Fan Tingyu on that page and thought of this discussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

A "trick joseki".

Is it actually good for White?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Aeroplane posted:

It seems insufficient for White; Black gets to choose which side, and White's corner is small. I mean, compared to White extending his stone.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

It's definitely good for White, unless Black is super-strong nearby.

Yes, Black gets to pick a side, but either White will get to settle on the other side as well, or Black ends up with a heavy group to defend. It's a mistake to think of Black as thick in a case like this, with a stone pre-placed just outside his wall to render it eyeless and prevent an extension.

Here's an example (with colors reversed), showing how either you get yourself into a tough fight or let the opponent get both sides if you fall for this trick. I don't claim that any of these sequences is perfect, but they illustrate the basic point.

I also included the regular non-trick joseki as the final variation for comparison purposes.

http://eidogo.com/#vLQBvUwg

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
What should Black play instead?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Xom posted:

What should Black play instead?

Footsweeping the second approach seems like the best to me.

http://eidogo.com/#383ZX0Gmg

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
RIP bitcoingo 1.30.14 - 4.15.14

Get your monies out before it all disappears.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Uncle Jam posted:

RIP bitcoingo 1.30.14 - 4.15.14

Get your monies out before it all disappears.

Now to be superceded by Dogecoingo.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

(EidoGo link)

1 is a standard move; 2 is kyū instinct. But how to handle 2? The first sequence in the link is recommended in A&D; the other two are wild guesses by me. I showed the latter to a 2-dan in KGS Teaching Ladder, whose only comment was perhaps the invasion was overplay to begin with so a bad result is expected. (But A&D recommended the trade?!)

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

The kosumi is playable, but I think both players make mistakes in the variation you show. If White makes that empty triangle, attaching to the upper White group as a leaning attack seems to turn out well for Black. Therefore I think White should attach and sacrifice instead of moving out with the empty triangle.

I show both those variations here: http://eidogo.com/#z2Rh5vw2

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
http://online-go.com/game/523935

I lost b 5.5 points! First game ive played that came that close. I had it till i blundered toward the end in the upper right. its much more fun when its close, though!

also here is a game i played with xom where he destroyed me after giving me 9 stones. i think he was probably going easy on me toward the end and probably could have taken away what little territory i had 'secured'. a learning experience!

http://online-go.com/game/515464

John T Scrungus
Oct 23, 2010

:confused:
Just started playing on KGS after having some trouble figuring out how to get the client to work.

Can I get an invite to the itgo room if that's still a thing? I registered the name daltony.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The 3rd game of the jubengoer is being demo'd by xom in our room from now!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

uranus posted:

http://online-go.com/game/523935

I lost b 5.5 points! First game ive played that came that close. I had it till i blundered toward the end in the upper right. its much more fun when its close, though!

also here is a game i played with xom where he destroyed me after giving me 9 stones. i think he was probably going easy on me toward the end and probably could have taken away what little territory i had 'secured'. a learning experience!

http://online-go.com/game/515464

He beat me by like 170 points after granting me 9 stones, so you didn't do that bad.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
anyone here subscribe to baduk tv? have any opinions on if its worth 20$ per month?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
You don't NEED to spend money to get strong, though it might be efficient to buy certain theory books good for reading and rereading (also classes might be a good idea either if you're dan-level or if you're some ultra-busy CEO). For everything else (tsumego, lectures, etc.), what's available for free is good enough IMO. (I'm especially impressed by the free episodes of Bad UK Movies I've watched so far.)

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
having the live tv might be fun though. if its not worth it for all the classes, do you think the 7$ per month for the live tv is worth it?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
BEEP BOOP I HEARD YOU LIKE FUN
code:
10 INPUT "IS IT FUN?", A$
20 IF A$ = "N" THEN GOTO 70
30 INPUT "IS IT MORE FUN THAN FREE THINGS?", A$
40 IF A$ = "N" THEN GOTO 70
50 PRINT "BUY BUY BUY"
60 GOTO 140
70 INPUT "IS IT HIKARU NO GO?", A$
80 IF A$ = "Y" THEN GOTO 110
90 PRINT "DON'T BUY"
100 GOTO 140
110 PRINT "WHY DON'T YOU LIKE HIKARU NO GO"
120 PRINT "YOUR OPINIONS ARE BAD"
130 GOTO 50
140 END

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
well i was just curious of opinions of anyone who has it. i guess 7$ isnt much of a risk to just try it my self though.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
What I enjoy most is trying to get stronger as efficiently as I can, but certainly there are other factors that make Go appealing to me that I don't really consciously think about. Whatever you enjoy, just do it.

edit: ask Detroit I think he has Bad UK TV

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Xom posted:

BEEP BOOP I HEARD YOU LIKE FUN
code:
10 INPUT "IS IT FUN?", A$
20 IF A$ = "N" THEN GOTO 70
30 INPUT "IS IT MORE FUN THAN FREE THINGS?", A$
40 IF A$ = "N" THEN GOTO 70
50 PRINT "BUY BUY BUY"
60 GOTO 140
70 INPUT "IS IT HIKARU NO GO?", A$
80 IF A$ = "Y" THEN GOTO 110
90 PRINT "DON'T BUY"
100 GOTO 140
110 PRINT "WHY DON'T YOU LIKE HIKARU NO GO"
120 PRINT "YOUR OPINIONS ARE BAD"
130 GOTO 50
140 END

Oh wow I wasnt aware a go manga was made, thank you! Is that where this creepy picture is from?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

uranus posted:

if its not worth it for all the classes
By 'classes' I meant personal tutoring. (I think you may have thought I meant lecture videos; sorry if I was unclear.)

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Go-websites-only search engine: http://find.gogame.info

quote:

"There are many sites dedicated to Go by amateurs who don't invest much money or effort in making their sites popular among search engines." "The verb 'to go' makes the situation even more difficult." "The situation with Asian Go masters who have short and common names is also confusing."

"We have made a special search engine, based on Google Custom Search, which searches information only on Go-related sites." "We allow people to suggest new sites to crawl. Each site passes moderation, so you can be sure that each side is relevant to the subject of your search."

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I had baduk tv for a little while but it was pretty boring.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Here are my comments. And a shitload of variations. I got kind of carried away with the tactical options at various points, and the trash can button doesn't seem to delete branches as you'd expect.

http://online-go.com/game/review/13991

xopods fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 30, 2014

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

tentative8e8op posted:

Oh wow I wasnt aware a go manga was made, thank you! Is that where this creepy picture is from?

this is a mashup of hikaru no go and beserk aka the best manga ever

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

xopods posted:

Here are my comments. And a shitload of variations. I got kind of carried away with the tactical options at various points, and the trash can button doesn't seem to delete branches as you'd expect.

http://online-go.com/game/review/13991

Thanks a lot for this xopods! really helpful! :)

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Two questions:

1) Does A live? It did in my game against tonberry and this one as well, but should it?

2)Which is bigger, playing A and living in the corner, or saving the four stones with B and letting the corner die? Or maybe there's a C that beats both of them.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

man white looks super overconcentrated in this game. this is the kind of standard we've come to expect from KGS players.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Two questions:

1) Does A live? It did in my game against tonberry and this one as well, but should it?

2)Which is bigger, playing A and living in the corner, or saving the four stones with B and letting the corner die? Or maybe there's a C that beats both of them.

1) T2 followed by Sagari to P1 should at least get W a ko to kill unless there's something you can do with the outside stones to threaten W's lower side enclosing stones.

EDIT: I did an Eidogo thing to show the ko but then forgot to post it, so here it is: http://eidogo.com/#4b7ig164c

2) The outside stones are only cutting stones if the corner lives. So no, you should not save them at the expense of the corner.

xopods fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 31, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xopods, can you tell me how you're supposed to live when you invade the 3-3 and there's one enclosing stone? The sequence always goes like this for me (Even if that's already "dead" after white 6), and if Black plays A, I play D, and if black plays B, I play C which means there's lots of ladders and stuff to consider if black just blocks. I've never seen a game where black let me connect underneath yet.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Kheldragar posted:

Xopods, can you tell me how you're supposed to live when you invade the 3-3 and there's one enclosing stone? The sequence always goes like this for me (Even if that's already "dead" after white 6), and if Black plays A, I play D, and if black plays B, I play C which means there's lots of ladders and stuff to consider if black just blocks. I've never seen a game where black let me connect underneath yet.

If you didn't want to go through those ladders, you should go with 6 at s2 for the classic joseki.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

If you didn't want to go through those ladders, you should go with 6 at s2 for the classic joseki.

Implying I know joseki.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I was reflecting today that I was particularly weak at direction of play…
But then I played a game from which the following position is simplified:

I should mention that it was a close game where any capture would be enough. The sequence shown is slightly sharper than what was actually played (the order is also somewhat interchangeable). Even in review these moves were hard to find, though the impressive 1-3-5 sequence was played in the game itself.

I wonder if there's an efficient way to practice this sort of thing. Maybe it's time to abandon 19x19 for a while?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Sensei's FTW: http://senseis.xmp.net/?4463Enclosure33Invasion

However, note that attaching at R4 instead of invading R3 is often better, especially if the whole board situation is not good for you to fight a ko: http://senseis.xmp.net/?4463Enclosure34Contact

There are other options too, all linked to from the enclosure page: http://senseis.xmp.net/?4463Enclosure

I used to play the 2-5 invasion a lot, mainly because my opponents would almost always play the second-line attachment, then I'd wedge and the outside atari was too complicated for my opponents to read out, so they'd do the inside one and I'd get the "Block" variation, which is pretty good usually: http://senseis.xmp.net/?4463EnclosureSecondLineSideAttachment. So it was basically a trick play for me.

xopods fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 31, 2014

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Xom posted:

I was reflecting today that I was particularly weak at direction of play…
But then I played a game from which the following position is simplified:

Nice series of cuts, but I'm not sure what this has to do with direction of play, which is a strategic concept, not a tactical one. It means deciding whether this side or that side of the board has more potential, or whether it's better to take thickness or territory in a certain area, etc.

xopods fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 31, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

After Xom showed me this I gave him a simple direction of play problem and then he just left without saying anything. :argh: Now I get the feeling his comment about direction of play had to do with his diagram.

Solve this for correct direction based on my reading and re-reading of the first two chapters of the book "Direction of play".

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

xopods posted:

Nice series of cuts, but I'm not sure what this has to do with direction of play, which is a strategic concept, not a tactical one.
I meant it along the lines of "I'm bad at direction of play but with these kinds of situations it's hard to care".

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Isn't direction of play strictly a Dan-level concept though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

The Direction of Play is a dan-level book, but direction of play in general starts to become important at SDK level.

DDK games are basically decided by who makes the most/biggest blunders particularly towards the end of the game. Large-scale strategy is mostly unimportant.

SDK games are still often decided by blunders or killing attacks, but not always, and importantly, unforced errors start to become less common. Usually the narrative of a game in the 1k to 5k range is that one guy is strategically better, and the other guy is tactically better, and after 30 moves it looks like the more strategic guy is going to win by 20 points if the game proceeds calmly, so the tactical guy panics and makes an overplay to provoke a complicated fight. Since he's better tactically, he'd have the advantage in a fair fight, but since he can't accept an even outcome and has to push harder to catch up, it evens out.

Dan and pro level games are often similar, except that the stronger the players get, the more balanced they are in terms of strategy vs. tactics and the smaller the margin has to be before the more tactical player decides he has to "shake" (as the Koreans put it) to get back in the game. A lead of just two or three points might cause a pro to do something a little crazy by pro standards, while at my level you can usually tell when you're trailing by about komi and start trying to make something happen. I'm always very surprised when an opponent plays things out with me to lose by 10+ for example, as you'll almost always see dan-level players start getting progressively more desperate as endgame approaches if they're that far behind, and either pull something off to at least make it close, or "find a place to resign," as we say.

xopods fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 1, 2014