Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Rumda posted:

Are special units defined on a per culture basis and what happens if you get two types of special units? This may allow a mod idea I've had floating around to work.

If you get two types special units it just combines them into the army like any other units, just UI isn't great so the only way to see numbers of different types is through tool tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
I wish bastards weren't broken.

This is the best I've rolled on stats ever, and I'm not recognised as the father.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Talk to me about the Indian cultural retinues. On the one hand, Elephants sound amazing and I really just want all elephants all the time. On the other hand, 30 elephants and 470 archers seems like it'll fold unless I add some heavy infantry as well or something. So should I take 1:1 Shock:Steel Bow retinues?

Also, how do you change succession laws using the console - succ primogeniture? I tried that but it doesn't seem to like it when I have multiple king-level titles.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 30, 2014

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Can someone please tell me exactly where they are clicking to appoint successors in India? Is it locked to a specific religion? I'm trying with Jain and Hindu rulers, but I just can't seem to do it.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Arcturas posted:

Talk to me about the Indian cultural retinues. On the one hand, Elephants sound amazing and I really just want all elephants all the time. On the other hand, 30 elephants and 470 archers seems like it'll fold unless I add some heavy infantry as well or something. So should I take 1:1 Shock:Steel Bow retinues?

Also, how do you change succession laws using the console - succ primogeniture? I tried that but it doesn't seem to like it when I have multiple king-level titles.

The console command only changes the succession law for your primary title. So to change multiple kingdoms, just switch each title to primary and use the command each time.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Within 30 minutes of my first post-patch game my son murders me, my chaplain converts to Messalianism, my wife births the Antichrist, and I commit suicide.

Paradox: For the upcoming patch, would it be possible to make it so that adherents to the Messalian heresy can implement Absolute Cognatic succession?

EDIT: Aaaaaannnndddd that's the end of my game. I hate peasant revolts more than any other feature in Crusader Kings.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 30, 2014

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Is there any way to prevent my current character from ever leading an army? I know I can comb through the armies and replace him as a general every time, but it would be nice to avoid spending time on that.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

occipitallobe posted:

I thought that was just Arabic culture-group rulers? European Muslims tend to get their realm title over their family ones.

Yeah, it's based on culture, not religion. Non-Arabic/Turkish/Persian Muslims will have the realm title.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Is there any way to remove pagan sons from the line of succession? I started a new Viking game and gave my son a temple, which didn't work.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Jinnigan posted:

Is there any way to remove pagan sons from the line of succession? I started a new Viking game and gave my son a temple, which didn't work.

Murder.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Vastakaiun posted:

Knocked up one of my vassals's wife for the first time in this game today. He... does not like me very much anymore. Might have to get stabby.

I do that every opportunity I get and acknowledge them so that I can legitimize them on my death bed. Sure your family hates you and the poor sod whos wife you bedded but it's best not to keep all the eggs in one basket. The sheer number of kids you get with a wife 3 concubines and some lovers is amazing and one is bound to make a decent heir to the throne.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Thrasophius posted:

I do that every opportunity I get and acknowledge them so that I can legitimize them on my death bed. Sure your family hates you and the poor sod whos wife you bedded but it's best not to keep all the eggs in one basket. The sheer number of kids you get with a wife 3 concubines and some lovers is amazing and one is bound to make a decent heir to the throne.

Hows it going Walder Frey?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Rumda posted:

Are special units defined on a per culture basis and what happens if you get two types of special units? This may allow a mod idea I've had floating around to work.

When modding, you can do almost anything at all with special units, the only limitation is that multiple kinds of special units can't exist in the same levy or retinue.

For example, in the mod I'm making (which I mentioned a couple hours ago) I added the Musket Infantry special unit type, who are assigned to the Musketman retinue, which is accessible to characters with the "embraced_renaissance" flag. Access to retinues is controlled by the same conditional statements as you'd use to define a decision or an event. It's beautiful.

You can make retinues only purchasable by characters with a specific trait, characters of a specific age or gender, retinues that only become available after a certain date; literally anything you can think of and any combination thereof.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Are there any portrait mods that make indian eyes less luminously white? it makes the portraits look pretty terrible.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Randarkman posted:

Looking at the list of cultures, have you considered adding the melungeons as a culture in central Appalachia? They would use either the muslim, indian or mediterranean faces I figure and would add a bit of variety to the north east where it seems every culture is either black or white at the moment.
Oh, that's cool, and digging around in genealogical sites digs up some unique name forms, like Micager for Micaiah and Mihill for Michael, which'd make them stand out a bit more. Done.

quote:

Also please please please add a McPoyle dynasty to western Pennsylvania with a ridiculous number of dynasty members and the 'divine blood' dynasty trait :banjo:
Western Pennsylvania? Surely somewhere sited more closely sited to the Delaware River would make sense.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

DStecks posted:

When modding, you can do almost anything at all with special units, the only limitation is that multiple kinds of special units can't exist in the same levy or retinue.

For example, in the mod I'm making (which I mentioned a couple hours ago) I added the Musket Infantry special unit type, who are assigned to the Musketman retinue, which is accessible to characters with the "embraced_renaissance" flag. Access to retinues is controlled by the same conditional statements as you'd use to define a decision or an event. It's beautiful.

You can make retinues only purchasable by characters with a specific trait, characters of a specific age or gender, retinues that only become available after a certain date; literally anything you can think of and any combination thereof.

Going to have to spend my week off sorting the map out then.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

TaurusTorus posted:

Hows it going Walder Frey?

Hey man anything to keep the bloodline running strong :getin:

Any one played as the Messalians yet? If so how are they to play?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

TaurusTorus posted:

Can someone please tell me exactly where they are clicking to appoint successors in India? Is it locked to a specific religion? I'm trying with Jain and Hindu rulers, but I just can't seem to do it.

Nightblade posted:

Click the crown on the portrait where the drop of blood used to be.
Only Buddhist and Jain rulers can do it. And only your direct children.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Nightblade posted:

Only Buddhist and Jain rulers can do it. And only your direct children.

Thanks

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Thrasophius posted:

Hey man anything to keep the bloodline running strong :getin:

Any one played as the Messalians yet? If so how are they to play?

More or less the same as Nestorians, except with the ability to marry relatives and appoint women as priests.

Chances are that if you convert too early you'll be overthrown by a revolt.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It would be supremely nice if rulers you just subjugated couldn't just turn around and start an independence faction the second the war ends.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Handing out titles after a successful Holy War under the caste system is a pain. Playing as non-caste system ruler I'd just give all barony-level titles to counts using "include lower tites" and they'd distribute the non-matching types to whomever, but now I have to manually find people of the correct caste using the find character menu. The option to sort by caste would be nice. Also, while I can always get enough Brahmins to fill up temples by poaching my vassals' court gurus, I have on multiple occasions run out of Vaishyas for cities. Like, if I gain a particularly juicy region with lots of cities there will be no adult Vaishya men in my entire realm who don't already have a title, even after waiting a few days for other new vassals' courts to populate.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 30, 2014

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Because Muslim/Zoroastrian titles automatically default to family name regardless of the actual title, probably. You can turn it off in the cultural files.

Indians do this too, it seems. What should I be looking for to disable this, or is there a workshop mod that would do it for everyone at once? I'd rather be Gujarat than Chawda Kingdom.

edit: I ended up editing the file to remove dynasty_title_names from all of the Indo-Aryans, but sadly I think I might need to start a new game for it to take effect.

Solarflare fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 30, 2014

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pakled posted:

Handing out titles after a successful Holy War under the caste system is a pain. Playing as non-caste system ruler I'd just give all barony-level titles to counts using "include lower tites" and they'd distribute the non-matching types to whomever, but now I have to manually find people of the correct caste using the find character menu. The option to sort by caste would be nice. Also, while I can always get enough Brahmins to fill up temples by poaching my vassals' court gurus, I have on multiple occasions run out of Vaishyas for cities. Like, there will be no adult Vaishya men in my entire realm who don't already have a title, even after waiting a few days for other new vassals' courts to populate.

Can't you just use the 'create new vassal' button? It's always worked before, though I haven't tried it for India yet.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

fool_of_sound posted:

Can't you just use the 'create new vassal' button? It's always worked before, though I haven't tried it for India yet.

Huh. I never tried that button before, I didn't know it generated a new character to take the title. Thanks. :v:

e: I will add that the addition of making new barony-level vassals automatically swear fealty to their count-level overlord is nice, except that sometimes it doesn't do it for some reason. :v:

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

40% Norse moral authority, it's so nerve wracking to have a soon 50 year old ruler who needs to raid something like 10 churcher (unless the rest of the pagan retard team loses more holy wars and stuff)

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Yo, the new "You can no longer usurp the sole primary title off of someone with a different religion if he has any holdings within it" rule makes the Norse starts tedious as poo poo. I have to conquer each and every individual Scottish county with a separate casus belli? AND I have to reconquer every Scottish county each time!? This is absurd

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Was there any rationale given behind making hunts worthless? What the gently caress sort of change is that?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Was there any rationale given behind making hunts worthless? What the gently caress sort of change is that?

"People were using it to break the game!"

People would use ruler designer to load up on negative traits that Hunts could cancel out and end up making super rulers. I'm not sure why they suddenly felt the need to 'balance' the ruler creator.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

People would use ruler designer to load up on negative traits that Hunts could cancel out and end up making super rulers. I'm not sure why they suddenly felt the need to 'balance' the ruler creator.

Wait, that's what hunts were for? :shepface:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

DStecks posted:

It would be supremely nice if rulers you just subjugated couldn't just turn around and start an independence faction the second the war ends.

It would be nice if rulers that have just accepted an entirely peaceful offer of vassalisation couldn't just turn around and start an independence faction. :shepicide:

Especially if they're going to draw in people who were perfectly loyal subjects before. :shepicide:

Pakled posted:

I will add that the addition of making new barony-level vassals automatically swear fealty to their count-level overlord is nice, except that sometimes it doesn't do it for some reason. :v:

Oh what. But getting my Dukes' Counts' Mayors to report to me directly was my favourite method of making mad stacks of cash. :(

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Western Pennsylvania? Surely somewhere sited more closely sited to the Delaware River would make sense.

Just what i figured from Liam saying 'thousands of us once roamed this fine land" for some reason

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

fool_of_sound posted:

"People were using it to break the game!"

Soooo... the solution wasn't to, I don't know, fix Ruler Designer instead of loving with everyone else who didn't do that?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Soooo... the solution wasn't to, I don't know, fix Ruler Designer instead of loving with everyone else who didn't do that?

Yeah, pretty much :v:

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
I thought the whole point of the ruler designer was to make absurd, borderline cheating characters.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EasternBronze posted:

I thought the whole point of the ruler designer was to make absurd, borderline cheating characters.

I have the ruler designer but I haven't even tried it, I assumed it just let you make whatever you wanted. Couldn't you just cheat with the console if you wanted to cheat?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Good traits make you older and bad traits make you younger, is how it works. But yeah it's trivial to mod that out and it doesn't affect achievements or anything so I don't really get the point of balancing it.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
The ruler designer lets you trade the age of your ruler for traits/skills, with negative traits subtracting age and positive ones adding age. To make a character approaching what you can reasonably expect from a half-competent heir being educated by a half-competent character (either you or a courtier/vassal/whatever) you end up having to start the game at like 40. By gaming it with negative traits you could start at a reasonable age, then use hunts and poo poo to get rid of them, which was completely fine in the base game but because you can use it to CHEAT with the DLC that already disables achievements if you use it they had to make events useless.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It ain't just hunts though they got the short end of the stick, summer fairs and all gotten less chances of acquiring good traits and events to get them seem rarer now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah really, if ruler designer removes you from getting cheevs then why do they care? There are much more effective ways to cheat if you really wanted to.

• Locked thread