Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So Nyx made a complete 180 overnight from cute puppy to well behaved dog. I was shocked and thought something was wrong.

We decided to leave her out finally for the night to see how she would react. She curled up on the couch and slept the entire night. Then at 7:30 when my alarm went off she jumps into bed to snuggle a bit. Throughout the day she is all relaxed and listens to every command the girlfriend asks of her, heels when we walk etc. So now I'm really freaking out because I'm so accustomed to the puppy insanity. I start checking for injuries, test her appetite and play with her for a bit to see if she's lethargic.

Nothing. Eats her dinner, plays 30 minutes of frisbee and then just curls up on the couch after 10pm. She's only 11 months old and is acting like she's 2+.

Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Thwomp posted:

Don't sweat it. We're all nervous when leaving them alone. Even now that Linus is nearly two, I still occasionally have irrational fears. You'll get used/adapted to it.

So this weekend we didn't have any plans, and I got to really observe the dogs in their 'natural habitat' during the day. We went on a few walks throughout the day, to the park later in the day, but we had a "lazy weekend" after recent insanity, so the dogs literally just slept on the bed with us most of the day. A few little bursts of energy, but v0v.

Interesting thing that Artemis did, though, and I want to see what the hive mind thinks of this: She seemed to hold her pee/poop the whole time we would have been at work normally. I walked them every....2-2 1/2 hours? And even though she'd come outside, I never once between 7AM and 5PM saw her pee or poop. As soon as we would have "arrived home" she went normally, no issue.

Is that normal? She's not having any issues, no health problems or anything. Is it just because she's in the routine? I've never experienced something like that before.

We'll continue to crate when we're at work, but I'm really becoming more confident that she'll behave well (or at least not have accidents) if we don't crate her all the time!

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
My girlfriend's family just rescued a 4 month old male border collie mix last weekend. They also have a 10 month old female Aussie/GSD/boxer/etc mix who's been with the family since 6 weeks old (I've posted about her on here before). She's very active and plays well with other dogs when we take her to the dog park. When we let her meet the new puppy for the first time through a gate it was positive, tails wagging, no growling from either. However, when we removed the barrier and let them meet for real, all she wants to do is get the puppy to play with her and she plays rough. She stands over him, nibbles his ears and does the "pouncing" thing trying to get him riled up to play with her (Similar to this ->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSd5gYfRgoY). He just licks her and seems a lot calmer and not interested in playing with her (he might still be adjusting from his journey too) until she crosses a line with him and he growls and snaps at her. This just seems to rile her up more and we have to step in. Right now, she won't leave him alone and we have to constantly supervise her.

Is this normal behavior? At what point should we step in to correct either of them (I'm assuming we should correct her for bothering him), or just let nature play out the dominance hierarchy? I realize that it is very early introducing them (It's been about 3 days) and that might be part of the problem.

We do have her starting group obedience training this Saturday and I'm hoping the presence of lots of dogs will help her.

Bonus picture of the two monsters

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 25, 2014

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

This maybe falls outside of pure puppy/new owner question, but I could use an outside opinion on a dog I'm considering adopting.

Me: I've had one dog I've cared for on my own (family had one as well), a ~7 year old beagle mix named Minnie that I adopted from SPCA about 2 years ago. She was very well behaved when I adopted her, needed little training, and I ended up giving Minnie to a friend who babysat her regularly as their 3 year old daughter had fallen in love with her (also I was moving from Dallas to Chicago and Minnie was not a fan of the little snow we got in Dallas).

The Dog: Visited Chicago PAWS this weekend and met Shadow Cat, an 11 month old retreiver mix with special needs. I've spoken to ~4 different volunteers and I've gotten impressions ranging from "she just needs a fairly quiet home" to "she pretty much needs full time care/observation", and I'm frustrated from the lack of coherent picture. I'm supposed to meet with her trainer later this week, but I've been told:

• She needs a quiet home
  • She needs some routine
  • She needs as highly structured routine
  • She needs crate training
  • She can be territorial and a crate may be a bad idea
  • She can probably be left alone fduring the day usually for work
  • She has general anxiety disorder and maybe she shouldn't be left alone for 8-10 hours?
  • She's slow to trust new people
  • Since she can't be left alone for 8-10 hours she'll need a walker to come by

What do I need to be asking/looking for to make the right decision here? I think I can provide a stable and quiet home (no kids, no other pets, no crazy parties/late nights), and if it helps in the short run I can probably get a walker for a few months, although I'd rather not plan on that long term. Also I don't expect to move out of Chicago any time soon.

The short time I've spent with Shadow Cat, she's been a quiet sweetheart. She spends about a minute getting comfortable to a new person, but after that she's on her side looking for belly rubs and kisses.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

It's just a shot in the dark, but it sounds like the dog probably has some aggression/reactivity issues exacerbated by anxiety. Has anyone been blunt with you about what "special needs" means? How eager are you to take on what may be a several year project?

My mantra has always been to plan for the worst and hope for the best. Assuming this dog is the worst it can be, would you be willing and able to care for it?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I have an anxious and reactively loud (but not aggressive) dog. I wouldn't take on an anxious dog again - he took years to housebreak, years to partially crate train (knows to go in and lie down, but stays in work mode the entire time). I still have to walk him with a pocket of treats and play LAT to get us past the neighborhood dogs.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

a life less posted:

It's just a shot in the dark, but it sounds like the dog probably has some aggression/reactivity issues exacerbated by anxiety. Has anyone been blunt with you about what "special needs" means? How eager are you to take on what may be a several year project?

My mantra has always been to plan for the worst and hope for the best. Assuming this dog is the worst it can be, would you be willing and able to care for it?

Well I guess that's where I'm at. I don't think I have the capacity to deal with the absolute worst case situation- I couldn't provide someone who would be home most of the day during the work week (I can probably afford a walker for 30 minutes 3-4 days a week), If she has some real anger issues I'd be worried that I'm up to the task given how little training Minnie needed, etc etc.

I'll talk to the Trainer and I guess ask what the need to see from me to determine if it's really going to work. :(

I feel bad too as she's clearly a sweetheart.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I don't know if any of y'all were like emotionally invested or whatever but we were able to keep our GSD/beagle puppy named Maia in the apartment thanks in large part to advice & training methods offered by this thread & the training thread. You guys, no bullshit, were instrumental in saving my dog. Have some pictures:

She's much better with other dogs now. I can't remember if I mentioned it in here or the other thread or at all but I took her to my buddy's house who has a 140 pound Labradane and a 100 pound lab/mastiff mix--she chased both of them out of their own backyard, the big bully. I don't know what changed but she has a blast at dog parks and on dog trails several times a week and is rarely aggressive. She seems much more timid now than when we got her which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. She sits, comes when called even when playing with other dogs, is totally housetrained, doesn't pull on the leash when walking and apparently no longer barks while we're gone. Her recovery is coming along nicely--she still guards the leg and will limp after prolonged use but some Ibuprofen mashed into some Pupperoni quickly takes care of that.

At this point I have few complaints. She occasionally dives into the trash while we're gone and chewed up a hat of mine last week but it's just little stuff and I wouldn't trade her for anything.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Sharzak posted:

At this point I have few complaints. She occasionally dives into the trash while we're gone and chewed up a hat of mine last week but it's just little stuff and I wouldn't trade her for anything.

This is easier to fix than you think-is there a reason to you don't crate or pin her up while you're out of the house? Most people do this for the safety of the dog as well as their stuff. Garbage especially has a lot of stuff very dumb dogs can choke on or eat.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
She doesn't take well to being confined. If I leave her with me in my bedroom with the door shut she will whine at the door until I open it, walk out into the living hallway, and come lie back down exactly where she was just fine.

We got her a crate and tried crate training her but her incessant barking got us a notice from the landlord to shut the dog up or leave.

Now that we let her have the run of the house there's no more noise. We hide the garbage can behind closed doors if we are going to be gone for longer than an hour.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Sharzak posted:

She doesn't take well to being confined. If I leave her with me in my bedroom with the door shut she will whine at the door until I open it, walk out into the living hallway, and come lie back down exactly where she was just fine.

We got her a crate and tried crate training her but her incessant barking got us a notice from the landlord to shut the dog up or leave.

Now that we let her have the run of the house there's no more noise. We hide the garbage can behind closed doors if we are going to be gone for longer than an hour.

Putting the trash can away is perfectly fine as a management technique. If you want to go low-pressure for long-term crate training, take the door off the crate (or tie it open) and leave it in her normal chilling-out spot. Toss treats in there occasionally. Train 'go to your crate' as a trick. Basically take the scary confinement part of it out of the picture until she thinks it's an awesome place to be.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
We tried that for quite some time. Left treats in there for her to discover, etc., she just straight up does not like feeling cramped. We did what was recommended on the ASPCA website and a few other places but she just doesn't like the crate.

Our favorite thing I've trained and what I'm most proud of is "bring it to me!" Basically I point at a thing, say bring it to me, and she grabs it and brings it. Far from groundbreaking but I thought it was pretty cool. She also is really good about dropping the ball when we are playing fetch-- I grew up with dogs who would chase the ball then hoard it.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?
So related to my earlier question, and feel free to send me to the cat thread for this, but is there any way that we can work with the cat to do better with the dog, rather than making it a one way street? The puppy is doing really, really well and continues to improve with her every day, but our cat is a runner, not a fighter, and I'm worried that we're going to have far more trouble getting her comfortable around him than him around her.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Lots of vertical space and other areas where the dog can't enter. You could also implement classical conditioning to have the cat associate good things with the dog too.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.

Eegah posted:

Just curious, what do dogs get out of a 'dog run' that a more traditional play area doesn't satisfy? I only know of one or two dog runs (instead of dog parks or on-leash parks) and don't really know the concept.

Mainly I am worried about them getting into trouble when they're home during the day. They're both smart and while they are reasonable in their crates, I personally feel bad leaving them in a crate for more than five or six hours other than at night to sleep.

The biggest issue is most days I can come walk them for half an hour at lunch, but my job doesn't always accommodate this. I'd feel better knowing they had some room to run around and not get into trouble and not be accidentally stuck in a crate for ten hours.

That's why I was curious- would a smaller enclosure be more ideal if they'd generally be in for a couple five or six hour stretches which are occasionally ten if their morning and evening routines were the same?

Speaking of, with the newer puppy (Lizzie) we've gotten her routine down but she always looks at me like the biggest rear end in a top hat on earth when I take her out in the morning. I usually take her out for the last time about midnight and then at 5am I wake her up. She's three months old, should I be letting her sleep longer uninterrupted?

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Eegah posted:

Just curious, what do dogs get out of a 'dog run' that a more traditional play area doesn't satisfy? I only know of one or two dog runs (instead of dog parks or on-leash parks) and don't really know the concept.

Dog runs are basically just rectangular enclosures people usually put in their yards, that way their dog can have some space but is also blocking off the full yard(so the dog cant get into as much trouble by getting into stuff it isn't supposed to, generally, like the garbage, or eating the deck). This is a pretty good example. Some people will build them attached to the side of their house for easy entry/exit.

Mulloy posted:

Mainly I am worried about them getting into trouble when they're home during the day. They're both smart and while they are reasonable in their crates, I personally feel bad leaving them in a crate for more than five or six hours other than at night to sleep.

The biggest issue is most days I can come walk them for half an hour at lunch, but my job doesn't always accommodate this. I'd feel better knowing they had some room to run around and not get into trouble and not be accidentally stuck in a crate for ten hours.

That's why I was curious- would a smaller enclosure be more ideal if they'd generally be in for a couple five or six hour stretches which are occasionally ten if their morning and evening routines were the same?

Speaking of, with the newer puppy (Lizzie) we've gotten her routine down but she always looks at me like the biggest rear end in a top hat on earth when I take her out in the morning. I usually take her out for the last time about midnight and then at 5am I wake her up. She's three months old, should I be letting her sleep longer uninterrupted?

From what I've heard, dogs mostly just sleep if there isn't much to do, but as long as it has plenty of spots of shade you might as well. At least if they're in an outdoor run they can eliminate somewhere not in their crate. Also I don't know the laws where you live, but here there has to be some kind of enclosure if a dog is outside in a run or the yard(see the dog houses in the example above).

As far as the puppy sleeping, IMO, if they're still sleeping let them sleep and praise your lucky stars. All puppies are different, some you have to do the "waking up every 2-3 hours" thing, some are like my shiba puppy, who has held it 8 hours through the night since she was 6 weeks. Just check in with her periodically to make sure she isn't staring at you like a hawk, and/or whining. Otherwise enjoy your sleep.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Ooooh okay, so kindof a gigantic outdoor crate then. That's cool; had it in my mind it was some sort of dog-parkish supervised activity. Thanks.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well the Girlfriend just got a regular 9-5 job now so Nyx will be left unattended for 8 hours at a time now. She has done it before so I know she can manage but is there anything I should be worried about? Separation anxiety or the likes?

She is 11 months old now, can hold her bladder like a champ and we are now letting her sleep outside of the crate at night.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm just going to quote myself from the last page.

Thwomp posted:

Most dogs can handle being left alone outside a crate all day but you've got to build up to it slowly. We first had Linus alone in his crate for a few hours and I'd run home to let him out. That turned into just lunchtime visits but still crated.

On weekends, we might leave him alone but outside the crate for an hour or less. By then, he was fine by himself outside or inside the crate and it was only a day or two of lunch check-ins when he had the run of the house before we were confident he was fine for all day.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah, Tater had the place to himself for 9 hours a day by eight months or so and frankly he's better behaved when I'm gone than when I'm there. He just sleeps all day.

Obviously it varies quite a bit from dog to dog.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Eegah posted:

Yeah, Tater had the place to himself for 9 hours a day by eight months or so and frankly he's better behaved when I'm gone than when I'm there. He just sleeps all day.

Obviously it varies quite a bit from dog to dog.

I think she'll be fine. Might be a rough week or two but she's a quick learner.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
How much barking should I be expecting if I have cats and the crate is uncovered? At night I put a cover on the crate, but during the day I leave it off. She stops barking after a few minutes but generally continues to bark. (It's not whining or anything, and the cats aren't doing anything beyond existing in her line of sight.) I live in a house so it's not a problem for neighbors if she barks, but this morning she's been going strong and being far more vocal than the first couple days in the house.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, last Xmas I asked loads of questions about (great dane) breeders here and sensibly got steered away from a backyard breeder.
A couple of months ago, we then visited our Johnnie Danes, who had some amazing Danes and it was a no brainer to go with them.

They had a breeding planned, which also timed in much better with our schedule and I just got a phonecall from them after the ultrasound and they confirmed that there was atleast 5 puppies, of which one of them would be ours.
It'll look something inbetween these two:

Wont be able to take it home until end of June, but I'm stoked!.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I've grown up with dogs my entire life but this is the first time I'm raising a puppy. He's coming tomorrow and I'm looking for ways to introduce him to his new home and help him adjust.

Edit: I did read the OP but I didn't see anything on this. I might have accidentally skipped it.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 30, 2014

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Your best bets are:

a) The OP,
b) Ian Dunbar's Before and After You Get Your Puppy, and
c) a camera.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Eegah posted:

Your best bets are:

a) The OP,
b) Ian Dunbar's Before and After You Get Your Puppy, and
c) a camera.

Well, turns out they had trouble scheduling vaccinations so I won't get him until Wednesday. But they brought him along for a home inspection. He explored and sniffed and peed a little but was otherwise a friendly and well behaved pup. I think he'll be semi-acclimated when I pick him up.

He also loves cuddles. :3:

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007
so the puppy coming home this Friday. I'm getting pretty nervous/excited already. still need to go grab a kong and other small stuff, but otherwise i'm good!

never had a dog before.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Emushka posted:

so the puppy coming home this Friday. I'm getting pretty nervous/excited already. still need to go grab a kong and other small stuff, but otherwise i'm good!

never had a dog before.

First time dog owner here. They will test your wits for the first few months but the payoff is completely worth it. At 11 months old our lab/retriever is just a giant suck who loves to play frisbee and give kisses.

Just stay calm, never get angry with it and spend a little time training it daily and you're golden.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
My new 8 week old cocker spaniel (english show type) puppy is super cute and really sweet but I am exausted!!

He screams and cries and stress poops when left alone

Last night he was doing this until 3.30 am!! I visited him 3 times (when he was relatively quiet) in this time and ignored him and just cleaned him up, dragged him outside to poop and plonked him back on his bed until he stayed and slept. He is shut in my tiny kitchen at night with his crate, an alternative bed and a puppy pad. I hoped to crate train him but he hates the crate, I can get him to reluctantly enter to eat dinner or high value treats but he wont stay in there. I have two types of Kong but he isnt particularly toy motivated.

I know it is only early days, he came home friday night, and he is tiny but I need to be able to leave him for a couple of hours here and there, I also NEED sleep.

Any tips /reassurance welcome!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

For the first few nights I slept in front of the crate and stuck my fingers in when my pup fussed. I also kept her crate in my room for the first few months. Then, it got moved downstairs once she was more comfortable with it. YMMV.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My wife and I slept next to Linus' crate for the first few nights, taking turns letting him out.

What may help (in addition to keeping a strict schedule/routine) is some white noise and a warm water bottle.

We used a ticking clock and we wrapped the water bottle in one of my shirts I wore all day. It helped Linus with being away from his litter mates and feel like he was close to us, even when we started sleeping away from him.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Not calling anyone out or anything but this page has a lot of people talking about their new or soon-to-be-new puppies without accompanying pics :colbert:

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

m.hache posted:

First time dog owner here. They will test your wits for the first few months but the payoff is completely worth it. At 11 months old our lab/retriever is just a giant suck who loves to play frisbee and give kisses.

Just stay calm, never get angry with it and spend a little time training it daily and you're golden.

thanks!

It's a pinser btw. here's a pic!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Emushka fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 1, 2014

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

So we're trying to get Oliver used to "his" room, which is a spare bedroom in our house that we want to turn into my office/his den for times when we're gone until we trust him to range about the house on his own. He doesn't seem to have separation anxiety in the sense that he's never had an accident while we've been gone, or destroyed anything. That said, he has worked out pretty quickly what going into this room means: we're going somewhere without him, and he doesn't like to go into it.

What I've been doing to work on it is sleeping in there with him in the mornings. I go to bed fairly late, and then wake up quite early so I can take care of him while my wife is getting ready in the morning, so instead of going back to bed in our bedroom when she leaves, I'e just been going into the spare bedroom, and letting him up on that bed with me. We usually sack out for an hour and a half to two hours. I guess I'm just wondering if I'm going to totally ruin this dog by sleeping in the same bed with him like this. He seems to get the difference between "our" bed and "his" bed in the spare room, so I'm not worried about him getting up on furniture so much as I am him getting overly territorial about me or dependent on someone sleeping near him. For the moment we still have him sleeping in his crate at night in a separate room, which he does fine with, despite not wanting to actually go INTO the crate.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

You need to build a positive association with the room and going into his crate. Make it seem like the coolest thing in the world- everytime he goes in there asked or unasked, throw a praise party and shower him with cookies. Do this just through out the day or randomly, and also when you get ready to leave. That way its not always "people are leaving, I have to go to this lovely room/ crate by myself" but rather "loving SWEET TREATS".

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

We're definitely doing that, it just isn't working quite as well as we'd hoped. I don't know if he's too smart or just not motivated enough by treats, or if we're doing something wrong with the treat training. I'm also just trying to find as many ways as possible for him to not associate ME with having to go in his room or his crate. Because of how our schedules work, I'm usually the one who has to crate him, while my wife is the one who ends up letting him out. I try to be the one to let him out as often as possible and she crates him whenever schedules work that way, but we just want to try and anticipate issues he might have, so I'm trying to find as many ways as I can to help him have positive experiences not just with the room/crate, but with me in them.

Like I said, it's very odd. He does just fine once he's in. Hardly wines, immediately concentrates on the kong and treats that are in there for him, and settles down quickly. He just has trouble going in. Oddly enough, he has the same issue with getting into the car. Rides just fine, but we have yet to get him to go in on his own more than two paws to get a treat.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Eegah posted:

Not calling anyone out or anything but this page has a lot of people talking about their new or soon-to-be-new puppies without accompanying pics :colbert:

6 hours until I get to bring this pup home.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

McCloud24 posted:

We're definitely doing that, it just isn't working quite as well as we'd hoped. I don't know if he's too smart or just not motivated enough by treats, or if we're doing something wrong with the treat training. I'm also just trying to find as many ways as possible for him to not associate ME with having to go in his room or his crate. Because of how our schedules work, I'm usually the one who has to crate him, while my wife is the one who ends up letting him out. I try to be the one to let him out as often as possible and she crates him whenever schedules work that way, but we just want to try and anticipate issues he might have, so I'm trying to find as many ways as I can to help him have positive experiences not just with the room/crate, but with me in them.

Like I said, it's very odd. He does just fine once he's in. Hardly wines, immediately concentrates on the kong and treats that are in there for him, and settles down quickly. He just has trouble going in. Oddly enough, he has the same issue with getting into the car. Rides just fine, but we have yet to get him to go in on his own more than two paws to get a treat.

Artemis does something similar with her crate. She fully knows what time it is when we're about to leave for work and she's about to be crated, so she'll stand at the end of the hallway and stare at me, "I know what you want, and you can't have it!" style.

Honestly, I just try to up the treat value for her (normally we use Zukes and for this purpose and new training we have these grain-free-god knows what treats that they go BANANA'S for) and she'll run face first into the crate's door just to get inside it for that sucker. Jada seems to not mind the crate nearly as much, and she'll just mozy on in and lay down until I get her a treat too.

I'd say if he's fine once he's inside the room, whether or not you're in it, that you should work on getting in the room. Maybe train it as a trick, a la "go to your room!" and he gets mega rewards for going in that room in particular. You said he seems to see a difference between the bedroom/his room so maybe that wouldn't be a hard thing to pull of. Start from right outside the door, and then entice him into the room. The SECOND he puts a paw in, click and treat. Keep it up, once he is great at stepping into the room, now you want to go for full entrance. Once he walks through the threshold, CLICK AND TREAT, etc. You incorporate the "go to your room" cue, or whatever you want to use, and then once he is reliably able to go from outside the door to inside the door, you start increasing the distance. Go for a foot or two further from the door. Then once he's got that, go for 5 feet. Then 8. Then 10. Then from down the hall. Then from around the corner. Hell, maybe even do it from another room altogether, so he leaves through one door, and then goes in through another.

If you trust him in that room with your furniture, maybe you can leave some toys in there for him, so that he's got stuff to do. Make that the playroom, where the toys stay.

I'm sure more will chime in, but this is what comes to me when I put myself in your shoes. Hope it helps.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Thanks for the replies! He was a bit better last night, he took about 20mins to stop wimpering and just got noisy at 4am but I took him out then he settled down.

Not sure how to post a pic from my phone but here is a link to a photo of him

[url] https://www.flickr.com/photos/liz_tyler/13188921264/ /url]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

Isn't it funny with dogs how the day you make a post mentioning how he isn't good at going into the car on his own, can sometimes be the day he decides he can do it? Ridiculous.