Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Solaris Knight posted:

It's so weird that one of the first major villains the X-Men had wasn't Sabretooth, Mystique, or the Sentinels, but the Blob of all people. And Metal Loaf is correct on that end :psyduck:

Sabretooth wasn't even an X-Men villain; he was a guy Claremont and Byrne came up with as an enemy for Iron Fist, which they collaborated on before X-Men. He became Wolverine's main enemy after the fact. Same deal with Mystique, actually. Claremont created her when he was writing Ms Marvel. Same deal with Deathbird, actually (though I'm not sure she was another one of Claremont's villains). They both shifted over to X-Men because nobody else was using them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Solaris Knight posted:

It's so weird that one of the first major villains the X-Men had wasn't Sabretooth, Mystique, or the Sentinels, but the Blob of all people. And Metal Loaf is correct on that end :psyduck:

Early X-men was weird and stupid. Someone who only knows the 90s tv series and the movies would be so confused if you handed them some of those issues.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Metal Loaf posted:

Sabretooth wasn't even an X-Men villain; he was a guy Claremont and Byrne came up with as an enemy for Iron Fist, which they collaborated on before X-Men.

Sabretooth was indeed introduced in Iron Fist, but I'm pretty sure Claremont knew what he was doing with him. The issue takes place immediately before a team-up with the X-Men (which Claremont was in his second year of writing at the time) and there are a couple subtle hints that there was a connection between Wolverine and Sabretooth.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Most people don't know and wouldn't care either about Wolverine originally being a Canadian assassin sent to kill the Hulk.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

I think you mean

(X-men 168, obviously).

I love every variation of this

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #14

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I love how neither of those are the face of an angry woman.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Mister Roboto posted:

Most people don't know and wouldn't care either about Wolverine originally being a Canadian assassin sent to kill the Hulk.

:canada:

Speaking of Wolverine, nobody mentioned him in that discussion of national-themed heroes even though his mutant ability is having healthcare

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Nilbop posted:

I love how neither of those are the face of an angry woman.

Kitty looks kind of mad?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Was "The Ultimate Jerk Squad of America" a Marvel Max title?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Was "The Ultimate Jerk Squad of America" a Marvel Max title?

You may have seen it labelled in stores as "Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Metal Loaf posted:

And I'm pretty sure the one mentioned in the X-Men #3 panel posted above (who the Professor is worried may present a danger to the team) was somebody pretty naff like Blob or the Vanisher.

It turns out Xavier is a jerk.

Ah, Silver Age "morality". From X-Men #3.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 30, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Roboto posted:

Don't forget his cute whiskered costume, or the fact that he was originally going to be an actual wolverine genetically evolved by the High Evolutionary.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

Don't forget his cute whiskered costume, or the fact that he was originally going to be an actual wolverine genetically evolved by the High Evolutionary.

He was also a teenager like the rest of the all-new, all-different team, until Cockrum drew him without his mask for the first time.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Solaris Knight posted:

It's so weird that one of the first major villains the X-Men had wasn't Sabretooth, Mystique, or the Sentinels, but the Blob of all people.

For a team whose power set in the early days consisted of 'guy who flies/guy who jumps on you with big feet/girl who picks up small objects with her brain/guy who throws ice/guy who shoots punches from his eyes', someone who is immensely strong, more or less invincible, and incapable of being moved if he doesn't want to be WOULD be a major threat, not counting the Professor X telepathy I win button.

Really, back in those days, superhero writers just gave people powers, they didn't sit down and THINK about what those powers could do. They just went 'He can make and throw ice at people', not 'If he can freeze ice out of thin air he could freeze the liquids in a body' or 'If he can extract heat to make ice, then he should be able to reverse it and add heat to things too and hence he has fire powers too'. By pure scientific logic, Magneto should be able to kill 99 percent of the threats he faces with a gesture (he controls electromagnetism, brains and robots run on electrical signals, turn off the signals and enemy falls over dead), hell, Captain Marvel/Photon/Spectrum/Monica Rambeau was recently able to kill a weakened physical avatar of Shuma-Gorath by tapping into its brainwave electrical activity and overloading it.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 30, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Magneto's powers in the early days were so undefined he could create new ones by using puns and idioms.

[X-Men #18]

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

:canada:

Speaking of Wolverine, nobody mentioned him in that discussion of national-themed heroes even though his mutant ability is having healthcare

:aaa: Now I'm going to have to tell everyone I know about this factoid, because it's too good to not be true.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
One of the first comics I ever owned had Magneto controlling people's mind a by affecting the iron in their blood, or something.

He turned the X-men into his personal slaves and had Wanda dance for him...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ, comic books are loving stupid.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No clue where this is from

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's Batman #700

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KayTee posted:

One of the first comics I ever owned had Magneto controlling people's mind a by affecting the iron in their blood, or something.

Magneto was, admittedly, a really, really bad villain during the X-Men's "wilderness" years.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
From Fraction's Defenders #2.

Dr. Strange...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm kind of confused. So Red She-Hulk turns human when she is scared or upset?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Schneider Heim posted:

From Fraction's Defenders #2.

Dr. Strange...

Hitting on her or whispering a truth of the universe that no one would want to know, could go either way.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

KayTee posted:

I thought he did the whole mind control thing because brain waves are electromagnetic, and he is the MASTER OF MAGNETISM. (indeed, it's surprisingly predictive, given the growth of both MRI scanning and transcranial magnetic stimulation of the brain)

Seriously, if you actually extrapolate 'power of MAGNETS' to the limits, you get something ridiculous, because magnets and electricity are basically the same thing.

Magnets are cool.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

thespaceinvader posted:

ISeriously, if you actually extrapolate 'power of MAGNETS' to the limits, you get something ridiculous, because magnets and electricity are basically the same thing.

Magnets are cool.

I keep waiting for Magneto to come up against another cosmic-grade threat and go "I've decided you don't have electrons anymore." *boom*

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

I thought he did the whole mind control thing because brain waves are electromagnetic, and he is the MASTER OF MAGNETISM.
The problem is you overthought it for the decade it was written in!

[Avengers #111]

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Exit Strategy posted:

I keep waiting for Magneto to come up against another cosmic-grade threat and go "I've decided you don't have electrons anymore." *boom*
Why does anyone worry about Galactus anymore? Magneto could just *poof* him.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Ghostlight posted:

The problem is you overthought it for the decade it was written in!

[Avengers #111]

And there it is! :D

Huh - it was an avengers comic. I had it in a big hardcover annual.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Why does anyone worry about Galactus anymore? Magneto could just *poof* him.

Galactus has no shits to give about the laws of physics, hell Tony Stark has no shits to give about the laws of physics.

Magneto is a chump, "oh let me just apply the rule of the universe to people who ignore them all the time and ow my face!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jubilee's powers can split atoms. Maddrox's powers violate conservation of mass and energy. Hank Pym could shrink all threats to sub-atomic size easily. Vision and Shadowcat should be able to defeat everyone who isn't an energy manipulator in 3 seconds by punching them in the brain. But if writers acknowledged all this poo poo, comics would be really boring. And it actually kind of bugs me when a writer thinks it's "badass" to have a character suddenly ignore the agreed-upon in-universe limitations of their powers to one-shot a threat, because it really hurts the suspension of disbelief.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Jubilee's powers can split atoms. Maddrox's powers violate conservation of mass and energy. Hank Pym could shrink all threats to sub-atomic size easily. Vision and Shadowcat should be able to defeat everyone who isn't an energy manipulator in 3 seconds by punching them in the brain. But if writers acknowledged all this poo poo, comics would be really boring. And it actually kind of bugs me when a writer thinks it's "badass" to have a character suddenly ignore the agreed-upon in-universe limitations of their powers to one-shot a threat, because it really hurts the suspension of disbelief.

usually the means of them not doing these things is them not knowing. finding out in a moment of absolute rage/wrath/sadness/insert trigger emotion here.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SirDan3k posted:

Galactus has no shits to give about the laws of physics

Exactly.

Magneto: The laws of the universe state tha-
Galactus: YOUR universe. :colbert:

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Similarly power cosmic should be able to vaporize anyone. Instead Surfer just blasts stuff.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

ImpAtom posted:

I'm kind of confused. So Red She-Hulk turns human when she is scared or upset?

The page before explains that, yeah.

Speaking of Magneto and Galactus, the author of Perry Bible Fellowship did this:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up: The first TPB of Rat Queens is now out. Go buy it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

All this talk about Magneto reminds me of the book "The Physics of Superheroes" by James Kaklios, where he spends a whole book teaching basic physics while having these kinds of nerd tangents. Like it's basically all "If we make the exception that so and so hero has so and so power set, this is actually how it has to work in the real world" throughout it. There's interesting stuff like how Magneto and Electro have the same drat power set, or a whole tangent on his favorite hero, physics professor Ray Palmer's various escapades (The telephone transportation trick actually would work via landlines!). He debunks some things, and calculates others, like when Spider-man first fought Electro the writers clearly had no idea how "grounding" actually worked, or another long bit where he calculates exactly what size the planet Krypton must have been pre-explodey times based mostly on how Supes' powers work. And finally my favorite bit, how he goes at length to prove that Spider-Man really did kill Gwen Stacey, but that GG's explanation for why is complete and utter crap.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
^IIRC that explanation on how Gwen Stacy died made so much more sense that Marvel made it the official explanation and had GG correct himself once when taunting Peter.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ultimate Spider-Man #67.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The thing that gets me is someone on the staff clearly knew what was what reality wise, because when Pete catches her by the ankle, you see a little "crack!" onomatopoeia next to her neck. GG's weird speech about the wind force killing her makes no sense, but the sudden halt in velocity snapping her neck is perfectly sound.

• Locked thread