Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Crummelhorn posted:

Tenkaichi 3 is the best fighting game ever made if you only random and punch your friend in the mouth when he gets Goten and stunlocks you every loving time with his bullshit 2-bar charge attack.

Also I am a world champion at it.

In BT 2, Gohan and Vegeta get an energy barrage move that costs ONE bar to perform. Yes, it is utterly broken and any sort of hit you can land can be instantly converted into an energy barrage to the face. My friends and I have banned it since it caused so many ragequits :v:

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You wouldn't want to piss off the Prince of All sayians. He'll waste you like a jar of space pickles.

Ugly stupid space pickles.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

In BT 2, Adult Gohan and Vegeta get an energy barrage move that costs ONE bar to perform. Yes, it is utterly broken and any sort of hit you can land can be instantly converted into an energy barrage to the face. My friends and I have banned it since it caused so many ragequits :v:

Am I the only one who preferred Budokai to Budokai Tenkaichi? I really wanted to like the BT games but I always had a lot of trouble with the camera being absofuckinglutely awful which they never seemed to fix. Same with the PS3 games, same concept but terrible camera. This is odd because there was one similar game on the PSP that had a camera that wasn't lovely but apparently they didn't want this system in the main games or something? Then all the new 2d ones had less characters and were terrible and ugh.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Away all Goats posted:

Which Tenkaichi game are you talking about? Is it Ultimate Tenkaichi? Because it's a completely different style of fighting game to the Budokai Tenkaichi games. I still highly recommend picking up a BT game if you have a working Playstation 2. The learning curve is kind of steep but the fights you can have in that game are the closest thing to the fluid fights you see the series (as opposed to the weird cutscene heavy, rock-paper-scissors decision making some of the other games have).

No, I'm pretty sure he's talking about Budokai HD Collection. You can still buy it new for 30 bucks on 360 and PS3.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bushmaori posted:

Am I the only one who preferred Budokai to Budokai Tenkaichi? I really wanted to like the BT games but I always had a lot of trouble with the camera being absofuckinglutely awful which they never seemed to fix. Same with the PS3 games, same concept but terrible camera. This is odd because there was one similar game on the PSP that had a camera that wasn't lovely but apparently they didn't want this system in the main games or something? Then all the new 2d ones had less characters and were terrible and ugh.
Really? I never had much problem with the camera, in fact I don't even remember if there is a way to adjust it during gameplay. The only times it might be an issue is if I'm fighting a Giant character near the edge of the Arena. Even then, just one or two smash attacks and you can be back to the center.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

No, I'm pretty sure he's talking about Budokai HD Collection. You can still buy it new for 30 bucks on 360 and PS3.
I am aware of the Budokai HD collection, I just prefer the BT games (which have not be re-released).

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 30, 2014

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

TARDISman posted:

Actually Budokai HD is just Budokai 1 and 3. Doesn't matter since everyone knows the best way to play Budokai is Tenkaichi 2 on Wii with motion controls on. :v:

Budokai Tenkaichi 3 on the Wii was so much better because there were more controllers and the motion controls were much more accurate. None of that stupid "Point the controller at the screen and pull it back and then push it forward" or whatever.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Only good 3d games are Budokai 3 and Battle of Z. And Budokai has kinda aged.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Budokai Tenkaichi 3 on the Wii was so much better because there were more controllers and the motion controls were much more accurate. None of that stupid "Point the controller at the screen and pull it back and then push it forward" or whatever.

Dude, that poo poo was the best skill leveler I've ever encountered. It didn't matter how much better you were, sometimes "shake-shake stab" just didn't.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I always wanted to play BT3, never got a chance before it became super scarce and prices for it shot up to $45+.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
The Budokai games (Infinite World included) were straight-up DBZ fighting games, while the Tenkaichi series and everything related to it are more "DBZ simulators". In spite of the similar English titles they're pretty much Appules and oranges. Each game has its ups and downs, but not really fair to compare the series.

That said, B3 and BT3 are the ones I have the most nostalgia for. The B3 opening song is practically scarred into my mind. And BT3 has... something else scarred in there. :shepicide:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

StrifeHira posted:

The Budokai games (Infinite World included) were straight-up DBZ fighting games, while the Tenkaichi series and everything related to it are more "DBZ simulators". In spite of the similar English titles they're pretty much Appules and oranges. Each game has its ups and downs, but not really fair to compare the series.

That said, B3 and BT3 are the ones I have the most nostalgia for. The B3 opening song is practically scarred into my mind. And BT3 has... something else scarred in there. :shepicide:

I think BT3 or maybe BT2 also had this gem as pre fight taunts

Zagnya:"Your boyfriend's kinda cute"
#18: "Skank!"

Squallege fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 30, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

TARDISman posted:

I always wanted to play BT3, never got a chance before it became super scarce and prices for it shot up to $45+.

I'm so glad I managed to get that one and not anything else, because it is simply amazing.

I even set up my computer to be able to emulate it now, since Wii looks like turd on modern TV's.

I still need something for making the Wii-mote to work though, the LED light part is what throws me off a bit.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
From using sometimes over-powered characters like SSJ4 Gogeta's infinite punch-stun to Spamming Frieza's transformations to annoy the hell out of your opponent, BT was the real cause for most controllers getting thrown out of the room or broken.

Did I mention Giant Characters? :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Giant Characters were easy to deal with once you figured out they basically were just giant targets who you could beat up with little to no effort. The harder characters to deal with were fasts on that could do multiple hits in very little time.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Giant Characters were easy to deal with once you figured out they basically were just giant targets who you could beat up with little to no effort. The harder characters to deal with were fasts on that could do multiple hits in very little time.

This is Raging Blast instead of BT, but it'll never stop amusing me how goddamn Burter of all people was incredibly strong due to his multi-hit combos. Hell, I routinely tore my friends' teams apart with an all-Ginyu squad of all things.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

The Bee posted:

This is Raging Blast instead of BT, but it'll never stop amusing me how goddamn Burter of all people was incredibly strong due to his multi-hit combos. Hell, I routinely tore my friends' teams apart with an all-Ginyu squad of all things.

Is there a special move you can use if you have all of the Ginyu Force

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

alcharagia posted:

Is there a special move you can use if you have all of the Ginyu Force
I don't recall but I know Jeice and Butter had two.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Have any of you guys played "Dragonball Zenkai Battle Royale"? The learning curve is really steep but from the time I've spent with it there are some interesting mechanics. Dr Gero can't gather ki so you either have to drain or absorb it from your opponents, Android 17 has a cancel based off his power bar so he can extend his melee combos. I tried Broly last time I was at the arcade but I couldn't understand how you're supposed to activate anything but his most basic specia.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

RBX posted:

Only good 3d games are Budokai 3 and Battle of Z. And Budokai has kinda aged.

Battle of Z is on the Vita, right? What kind of game is it in comparison to the Budokai/Tenkaichi/Burst/etc games and is it worth buying at the moment?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

StevenM posted:

Battle of Z is on the Vita, right? What kind of game is it in comparison to the Budokai/Tenkaichi/Burst/etc games and is it worth buying at the moment?

It's a little like a mix of Monster Hunter and Tenkaichi. It revolves around you using a team of characters to complete missions and each character has a different role, Krillin's a healer, Gohan can support others with a power boost, Goku's the beatstick, and so on. I liked what I played of the demo but I know a grand total of 3 people with Vitas and they'd all rather get it on PS3 and have a physical copy.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Battle of Z is also out on the PS360.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I have the Vita version and it's decent to play; I've beaten Vegeta and it's pretty fun if a bit button mashy (or maybe I just don't know how to play it right.) Runs fine and I generally like it although I got it when it was on sale at launch.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What do people think of the manga vs anime? I just finished reading through Freeza and it's pretty good, I'll put off final judgement for now though. I didn't grow up with DBZ like most people here seem to have, so it's interesting to be exposed to the manga first. Do people generally think the manga is better? I understand the original DB/DBZ is stuffed with filler.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The manga is undeniably better (even without the driving lessons), but more people have watched the anime so it's the only form of DB most people think of.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

The manga is definitely more snappy. Somewhere around Cell/Buu saga the art became a bit angular and detailed backgrounds became something of a rarity, but overall it still reads well.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

icantfindaname posted:

What do people think of the manga vs anime? I just finished reading through Freeza and it's pretty good, I'll put off final judgement for now though. I didn't grow up with DBZ like most people here seem to have, so it's interesting to be exposed to the manga first. Do people generally think the manga is better? I understand the original DB/DBZ is stuffed with filler.

It defintely changed my opinion alot seeing as I didn't know animes were based off mangas at first. I don't think Ocean Dub here even mention it was part of the manga but I could be remembering wrong. But yeah I was very suprised on how different the pacing was in the manga. Kinda makes me a bit sad that DB does get a bad wrap for being filler like hell, but manga wise Akira doesn't bullshit with the pace.

So yeah I was surprised to see Freeza v.s. Goku was not that long.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

How much filler did DBZ jam in, though? Compared to modern anime I feel like it only did a couple episodes at a time, and that one article about "when the manga was ending" theories implies the lead from manga to anime wasn't exactly that large. A couple weeks ahead, maybe?

15 year old me would rather have some excess grunting and over explanation as compared to a fullbringer bount arc, for example.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

How much filler did DBZ jam in, though? Compared to modern anime I feel like it only did a couple episodes at a time, and that one article about "when the manga was ending" theories implies the lead from manga to anime wasn't exactly that large. A couple weeks ahead, maybe?

15 year old me would rather have some excess grunting and over explanation as compared to a fullbringer bount arc, for example.

I remember there being quite a bit but it was never as terrible as loving Bleach's filler.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The first episode episode of DBZ was mostly filler, to give you an idea.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
DBZ didn't make all new arcs as much as it stretched actual content out past the breaking point, which made everything feel ridiculously slow and tedious.

See: the episode where Piccolo confronts Cell. What was six quick pages in the manga got turned into a full episode.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

DragonBall Kai has Freiza spirit bomb take 1 episode but in the original it was like 5 or 6.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

The first episode episode of DBZ was mostly filler, to give you an idea.

and the third to last was 100% filler. Months after the manga had finished.

Kild posted:

DragonBall Kai has Freiza spirit bomb take 1 episode but in the original it was like 5 or 6.

It was only two episodes but it started at the end of a third one.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Stairmaster posted:

and the third to last was 100% filler. Months after the manga had finished.

It was only two episodes but it started at the end of a third one.

The Spirit Bomb was always the worst because it took forever and didn't loving work.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The Spirit Bomb was always the worst because it took forever and didn't loving work.

It had an 90%~ success rate in the movies, though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Stairmaster posted:

It had an 90%~ success rate in the movies, though.

This only proves that the movies are not canon.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
And the one time it did work, technically Goku didn't make the spirit bomb.

Hercule did. :v:

He goddamn rules.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Did anyone watch the new DB Kai episode?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well new episode of abridged up.
http://teamfourstar.com/video/tfs-abridged-parody-episode-41/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So many good callbacks this episode. Just give T4S a job somewhere already.

Also I hope Goku comes back soon I miss the goofy lummock.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 6, 2014

• Locked thread