Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Another Person posted:

Ahhhh. Time to press that claim I have and take it for myself.

Titular duchies can never become de-jure, if you already possess a duchy then a titular duchy offers no benefit, you can't press any claims with it. The only reason to have them is to split up a large duchy among your vassals into two duchies, one titular and the other de-jure, it keeps them fighting each other and rather weak. Also I think someone with a titular duchy gets reduced vassal levies as they have no de jure vassals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Hmm, the EU4 export of Jain Empire of India was a total disappointment:
1) Generic national ideas
2) Jain religion didn't seem handled at all --- the result had
the catholic cross for icon and only + tolerance of true faith and nothing else
for effect.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
How I can figure out what event is what number? "A building goes up in flames" fires like ten times on every siege, I would like to edit out the frequency.

Caik
Oct 3, 2013

monster on a stick posted:

Are Feasts still OK? There was a way to get the "Just" trait as long as you didn't mind having everyone hate you for 2 years - the problem was that if you got to a decent size, a bunch of those events could fire, and the alternative was paying out $$ to the servants, or getting the Arbitrary trait. There should be a mod that fixes all the Feast issues, like giving you a list of all the people who puked on you.

I got the "Just" Trait from a Feast yesterday. It looks like they are still okay, but it took a while to get it.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

Anyone playing the last version with CK+ when it still worked? Siege events are insane for some reason, spamming literally on a two-second basis and making you lose anywhere between 50-70% of your army even if you are sieging some lovely count with 300 defenders. How do I edit the siege event chances to stop this from happening, because this one is a game-breaker. (I can't literally siege anything, the events whittle down my army so fast that either their numbers go so low that they can't siege anymore or their numbers go so low that some random poo poo army just kills them).

Yeah, that version was hosed. If you still want to play CK2+ without the siege madness, use the dev version.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DrPop posted:

Yeah, that version was hosed. If you still want to play CK2+ without the siege madness, use the dev version.
Do they still plan to use their new map + the ROI new provinces? Because i can't stand their map and it's already making the game quite slow, i can't imagine it with even more provinces after two centuries of database growth. Guess i will only get VIET and some HIP module from now on. I just want more plots/ambitions/events and a few balance fixes anyway.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
I think the decadence negotiations may be bugged. For multiple rulers now I haven't been able to tell decadent relatives to get their poo poo together because I've "already negotiated", even though I haven't had a decadence negotiation in about three rulers now.

Toplowtech posted:

Do they still plan to use their new map + the ROI new provinces? Because i can't stand their map and it's already making the game quite slow, i can't imagine it with even more provinces after two centuries of database growth. Guess i will only get VIET and some HIP module from now on. I just want more plots/ambitions/events and a few balance fixes anyway.

I've heard the CK2+ team is considering going back to the vanilla map for Rajas, though don't quote me on that.

Averrences
May 3, 2008

OddObserver posted:

Hmm, the EU4 export of Jain Empire of India was a total disappointment:
1) Generic national ideas
2) Jain religion didn't seem handled at all --- the result had
the catholic cross for icon and only + tolerance of true faith and nothing else
for effect.

Bear in mind they likely haven't updated the CkII - EU4 converter yet, exactly the same thing happened with the SoA release, where Judaism had Christian symbols etc.

I imagine, along with the hotfix it should be out in the next few weeks.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Playing without CK2+ feels weird but still having a nice go of a semi-ironman run (doing my best to not reload when poo poo happens). Started up as a muslim count of Mulan and went around slowly getting the entire duchy. Took a while but once I had a couple more spots, I was doing really well. Then the Hindus came and won a war to take my entire duchy. I thought I'd end up under his control except I just lost EVERYTHING I had and got a random province in the rear end end of the kingdom I'm a part of, which also split it in half. I sorta wanted to just restart since I wasted my entire early game but kept going with it.

Ended up plotting to reduce crown authority so I could attack vassals within the realm again to build up and waited for another war which wiped out the king's army. Won that, then another revolt happened with the duke next to me doing that... so I declared on him as he was sieging half my land. Won that and got his entire duchy. At this point our nice muslim kingdom has gone to poo poo, but the Hindus next to us split slightly. So I end up DOWing a single count that had no buddies which ended up triggering a huge war with almost all of India that I only won due to lots of pausing and attacking smaller armies.

I'm poised to take back my original duchy but will need to save up for mercenaries again. I'm still sort of confused as to why the people I'm allowed to start a faction for to become king... are there. I make up half our kingdom at this rate and it's not enough to usurp but I could win the war, so why wouldn't I be able to start a faction to make my ruler king?

Also now that decadence is fixed up it's pretty nice. Maybe overpowered because you end up getting 25-50% morale bonus to your armies unless you're stuck with some relative that became decadent a second time and you can't quite kill him off. Not too sure how often in history wives always plotted to kill each other and heirs either.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DrPop posted:

This won't work anymore because they are currently working on the dev version for 2.1 compatibility and everything is a mess.

To fix the siege event spam, replace CK2Plus/common/on_actions/00_on_actions.txt with this file (it comes from the dev build that was being recommended at the time): http://pastebin.com/nFmkiLSw

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

double nine posted:

I can confirm that the Hunting_events.txt no longer has any entry with Add_trait = diligent, or remove_trait = craven, or the add_trait = ambitious; those events have disappeared into the ether. What's left (in terms of traits) is an event that adds kind, one that adds craven, various events that add wounded or maimed, and an event that adds cruel. To summarize: the only benefit to going on a hunt is a small amount of prestige, random courtier has his opinion changed, and the kind event. The cost/benefit of going hunting is vastly skewed towards <<don't do it>> at the moment.

edit: also, does this count as work for you? On a sunday?

Yeah, exactly, there seems little point in those decisions now.

And no, no CK2 stuff counts as work for me, I just bug the CK2 team because I like the game.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
What's the best way to go about changing my culture?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Darkrenown posted:

And no, no CK2 stuff counts as work for me, I just bug the CK2 team because I like the game.

Well it's appreciated. Having a direct line to multiple devs is really handy.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Antinumeric posted:

Titular duchies can never become de-jure, if you already possess a duchy then a titular duchy offers no benefit, you can't press any claims with it. The only reason to have them is to split up a large duchy among your vassals into two duchies, one titular and the other de-jure, it keeps them fighting each other and rather weak. Also I think someone with a titular duchy gets reduced vassal levies as they have no de jure vassals.

A titular duchy should also count towards the two-duchy requirement to form a kingdom. A word of warning, though: some titular duchies (tribal titles, I believe) dissolve as soon as you hold a dejure title.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

What's the best way to go about changing my culture?

As of the latest patch, and I'm not entirely up to date with the new system so it might be wrong, but your child needs to be tutored by someone with the new culture, AND have a landed title. So must be a baron, count, duke or king.

If you're talking about your current character, if it's a kid the above applies, if it's an adult you're out of luck. Unless you have a different culture from your lieges'; in which case there should be an intrigue decision to switch to his culture.

So:
Kid: tutor is landed, different culture.
Adult: No dice unless liege lord different culture, then decision to change to that culture.

edit:spelling

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 30, 2014

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

double nine posted:

As of the latest patch, and I'm not entirely up to date with the new systel so it might be wrong, but your child needs to be tutored by someone with the new culture, AND have a landed title. So must be a baron, count, duke or king.

This is not quite true. Your child has to be tutored by someone with the new culture who resides at the court of someone with the same new culture (which means you need to send them away).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Something else that bugs me: are there differences between choosing a pilgrimage site that's close by vs the Classic ones, and is there a difference between picking Rome & Jerusalem as destinations for events?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dallan Invictus posted:

This is not quite true. Your child has to be tutored by someone with the new culture who resides at the court of someone with the same new culture (which means you need to send them away).

Right. So if you subjugate the neighborhood as Rurik: Letting an Estonian courtier of a Lithuanian count educate your heir will have him staying Norse, but if it is a Russian courtier from one of your Russian dukes, he will have a chance to become Russian.

It is very easy to tell if somebody will change your child's culture if he educates it, because there will be a warning in the diplomacy menu when you selected the kid and tutor, before confirming the decision. Something like "warning, child may change culture" or something like that.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Because trade-offs and manipulating a semi-balanced system is more interesting than actual cheating?

It constantly bewilders me that people don't understand the difference.

But yes, it's stupid that they nerfed events instead of continuing to fine-tune the values of ruler designer traits.

There is absolutely nothing stopping you from making fair and balanced characters with lowered costs unless you yourself decides to cheat. It just give you more leeway than the often nonsensical vanilla system.

And I fail to see how it's cheating more than giving your character wounded assuming that it'll go away and then restarting if you die from an infected wound. At that point so are you just gaming the system anyway.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kainser posted:

There is absolutely nothing stopping you from making fair and balanced characters with lowered costs unless you yourself decides to cheat. It just give you more leeway than the often nonsensical vanilla system.

And I fail to see how it's cheating more than giving your character wounded assuming that it'll go away and then restarting if you die from an infected wound. At that point so are you just gaming the system anyway.

It's cheating in that it's modifying the rules of the game to your benefit, as opposed to playing the game as is.

edit: "Gaming the system" is a really weird phrase to use when you're talking about a video game. Of course it is! What else would you do with it?

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 30, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
My first sons is plotting to kill my second. I would care greatly and consider stopping this plot if the second son in question was not total poo poo (-80 opinion of me, awful stats that I don't want to inherit should the main heir die, plus, war for independence was caused by him over my irl hometown (not acceptable for me), which I had to crush. I have 5 other sons, so heirs are no issue). Instead, I want to back the first son up and help the assassination along, but there are no available plots for the second son available, and there is no option to back up the plot.

If I want this second son dead, do I just let my sons plot go ahead, or do I have some way of helping him along?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's cheating in that it's modifying the rules of the game to your benefit, as opposed to playing the game as is.

edit: "Gaming the system" is a really weird phrase to use when you're talking about a video game. Of course it is! What else would you do with it?

Always do excommunicated too, start of the game you can get it lifted for like 1 gold.

I'm still unsure why patient is listed as -1 when it's a pretty soldily positive trait.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ThomasPaine posted:

Always do excommunicated too, start of the game you can get it lifted for like 1 gold.

I'm still unsure why patient is listed as -1 when it's a pretty soldily positive trait.

I suspect that patient is tied to one or more undesirable random events, or possibly to positive events taking longer to fire. I don't know it for a fact, though.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I suspect that patient is tied to one or more undesirable random events, or possibly to positive events taking longer to fire. I don't know it for a fact, though.

Its the opposite trait opinion which brings it down the costs are set per effect not per trait

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DrPop posted:

Thanks, that did the trick! :)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

When people use the phrase "gaming the system", they usually mean playing in a way which works within the game's systems, but in a way which condradicts the spirit of the design. North Korea mode is an example of this, but I'm not so sure that using hunts to "game" the ruler designer is.

A better balance for hunts could be to make them more dangerous, so that choices which give the greatest chance of good traits also have the greatest chance of leaving you maimed.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Antinumeric posted:

How do you create a titular duchy?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Another Person posted:

My first sons is plotting to kill my second. I would care greatly and consider stopping this plot if the second son in question was not total poo poo (-80 opinion of me, awful stats that I don't want to inherit should the main heir die, plus, war for independence was caused by him over my irl hometown (not acceptable for me), which I had to crush. I have 5 other sons, so heirs are no issue). Instead, I want to back the first son up and help the assassination along, but there are no available plots for the second son available, and there is no option to back up the plot.

If I want this second son dead, do I just let my sons plot go ahead, or do I have some way of helping him along?

As far as I know all you can do is just passively let your first son do it. I'm really surprised they still haven't put in a way to ask to join plots you discover, or to let the intended victim know about it; those are both features I've been hoping for since day one. Maybe it's a balance thing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I believe patient prevents you from using certain plots and ambitions, which could explain the weird cost.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

TaurusTorus posted:

So people playing the game fairly and using a mechanic for interesting and worthwhile reasons are being punished for cheaters who won't care cause they'll just cheat in a different way?
Basically!

They'd seriously better fix this ASAP.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Darkrenown posted:

Is there any reason why the fair/hunt/feast events cost so much now? It's fine later in the game when you got a large income, but 25 gold a pop HURTS early game especially for what you're not getting out of it with the bug.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Farecoal posted:

How do you create a titular duchy?

You can't just create one out of nowhere. Some cultures have access to titular duchies, other titular duchies can be created if you own certain provinces.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

double nine posted:

I can confirm that the Hunting_events.txt no longer has any entry with Add_trait = diligent, or remove_trait = craven, or the add_trait = ambitious; those events have disappeared into the ether. What's left (in terms of traits) is an event that adds kind, one that adds craven, various events that add wounded or maimed, and an event that adds cruel. To summarize: the only benefit to going on a hunt is a small amount of prestige, random courtier has his opinion changed, and the kind event. The cost/benefit of going hunting is vastly skewed towards <<don't do it>> at the moment.

I was curious and I had a copy of the pre RoI game files around, so here's a diff of the changes:

http://pastebin.com/0JNmedNf

The general changes are:
  • reformatting
  • most events are rarer
  • is_adult = yes is used rather than age = 16
  • opinion modifiers last 10 years, rather than 1 or 2
  • character modifiers that granted prestige over time, just grant the prestige directly
  • character modifiers that granted martial improvements grant the martial increase directly

More detailed analysis:
  • bloodlust for killing is a permanent +1 to martial, rather than a temporary modifier
  • the event that used to clear craven no longer fires for craven people and has a 5% chance of maiming, but gives a permanent +1 to martial 10% of the time
  • good hunting grounds may no longer grant dilligent, but it costs -15 gold rather than being 20% of your scaled wealth
  • a vassal boasting about their hunting prowess is impossible if they are content or humble, rather than having improved chances from being ambitious or proud
  • a vassal giving you the honour of the kill can no longer give you humble
  • master hunter gives a longer opinion bonus, but can't give ambitious

radlum
May 13, 2013
Are there any good Workshop mods? I'm used to the usual CK2 mods and I just realized it is compatible with the Workshop but I've no idea if there's anything worth it.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
It only got added in the latest patch so I don't know if there's much up there yet.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

"People were using it to break the game!"

People would use ruler designer to load up on negative traits that Hunts could cancel out and end up making super rulers. I'm not sure why they suddenly felt the need to 'balance' the ruler creator.

Wait why did ruler creator even need balancing? I mean you can't get achievements or anything with them and if I want to play some godly perfect ruler or the most horrid person to have ever lived isn't that, you know, kinda what the designer is intended for?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Any recommendations for a good duke start in 867?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Eltoasto posted:

Any recommendations for a good duke start in 867?

I'm having a really nice Dyre the Stranger game right now. It's pretty much constant expansion since you are surrounded by non-Norse pagans and there's a clear goal in forming the Russian Empire and surviving the hordes.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
One of the sons of Lodbrok still in Scandinavia, like Bjorn Ironside in Sweden, make for pretty good starts too. They're all really close to the Norse holy lands, so reforming the faith isn't too hard, and you get some good allies to ward off angry vikings looking to make their own kingdom.

Ivar the Boneless is probably fun as well, but you'll have a harder time reforming the Norse faith.

For Muslims, the Hashimid Emirate is pretty good since you're Sayyid, independent, got a bunch of Shiites and Miaphysites near you, and you'll inherit the Arabian empire and caliphate if the Abbasids mysteriously go extinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
I have a vassal king who for some reason has the -25 opinion modifier applied 5 times instead of once. Is there any way to fix that?

• Locked thread