Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Nice cold air intake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

:stare:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Might need an alignment.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Are they still filming mad max 4?

E: that could apply to either picture.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Bajaha posted:

I had a similar thought when I was looking for a new car recently. There was an 08 Jag XF with ~60k miles listed for $20k that looked really tempting, who can resist a classy v8 luxo-barge, but the fabled Jag reliability and it being just out of warranty scared me away.

Instead I got a new Hyundai that's had a new problem every other week since I picked it up a month ago :suicide:

I may have angered the AI gods going for a sensible choice...

Yeah, we're gonna need your AI card back. And don't let the door slam you on your rear end on the way out - we don't want Hyundai rear end-prints on our door.

(I almost pulled the trigger on an 09 XF too but went for a 5 series instead for the same reason. I asked my mechanic which I should get and he said the XF because then he would get ALL of my money)

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Not as bad, but my wife and I saw this one a couple days ago.
http://youtu.be/3S43mwz01o8

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bajaha posted:

It was spotted on Imgur:

life in a state without safety inspections.jpg

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Panty Saluter posted:

life in a state without safety inspections.jpg

I'm just amazed the rubber on the tires looks ok!

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Might work better if the shifter was a sword hilt, I guess.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Boomerjinks posted:

When I lived in Krakow, my Citroën company car had a slightly more sophisticated version of this. Supposedly transmission locks are more effective than The Club.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Boomerjinks posted:

That's amazing. I would have never considered that.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Boomerjinks posted:

If it works, it's not stupid.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

reminds me of the HMMWVs ghetto club:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

If it works, it's not stupid.

I've seen a shop-bought version of this for a manual car, they do work.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I've seen something similar that locked a plate over the pedals, and that was on a Lexus. Supposedly it's a common mod in Central America.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Carteret posted:

reminds me of the HMMWVs ghetto club:

According to wikipedia, the inventor of the club was inspired by his experience in the Korean War where soldiers were instructed to secure vehicles with a chain in the steering wheel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crotch Fruit posted:

According to wikipedia, the inventor of the club was inspired by his experience in the Korean War where soldiers were instructed to secure vehicles with a chain in the steering wheel.

And that is still how they secure the wheel in a HMMVW

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Those locks are super easy to cut, thankfully. We went through 15 or 20 a month when I was in because idiots lost the keys all the time.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Crotch Fruit posted:

Yeah, it's still how it's done, as HMMWVs don't have key ignitions.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

My best friend used to drive a grand am and his vents did this. I couldn't resist playing with it whenever the air was on. He'd always flip out at me but that just added to the hilarity. It's not gonna hurt your car dude, you drive a mid nineties grand am.

Goddamnit, I KNEW the vents in my Ion looked familiar.

I'm gonna have to try that tomorrow, though I don't think mine are quite as loose.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I know a few people who just take the shift lever with them when they park. Comes off the top of the transmission easy enough...

Hell, even just having 3 pedals is often a theft deterrent these days.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I know a few people who just take the shift lever with them when they park. Comes off the top of the transmission easy enough...

But.......but.....how is any of this more difficult to overcome than chipped keys and poo poo? I mean.....craw under the car or pop the hood (as required), cut the shift cable and put it into drive?

Am I overthinking this? Would I make a terrible car thief or the best car thief?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Most thieves will just skip it and go with the next car... everyone I know who does that drives a mantrans truck/offroad vehicle, though. Most with little to no interior remaining. So they just pop the entire shift lever out of the shift tower, leaving no way to actually shift the transmission, unless the thief happens to have an AX15 or NP435 shift lever in their back pocket :haw:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
This reminds me of the time my family and I were driving north in Big Sur, and we stopped to visit a beach/its restroom. There was a HMMWV parked, full of helmets and vests, with the window open (the folks it belonged to were on the beach, doing some sort of training thing, I think). I don't remember seeing anything securing the wheel; I've always wondered what the eventual consequence would've been if I'd taken it for a joyride.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Boomerjinks posted:

Is that a Gen 3 accord? It was my first car.

If it is, you can unscrew a screw behind the shifter, lift it up, and slip the chain right over it.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

You could also pick the lock. Those pad locks completely trivial to pick to the point that a couple paperclips would probably be good enough.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

This reminds me of the time my family and I were driving north in Big Sur, and we stopped to visit a beach/its restroom. There was a HMMWV parked, full of helmets and vests, with the window open (the folks it belonged to were on the beach, doing some sort of training thing, I think). I don't remember seeing anything securing the wheel; I've always wondered what the eventual consequence would've been if I'd taken it for a joyride.

It was probably secured with a padlock, you just weren't looking. Just like I'm sure you didn't notice the chockblock and drip-pan "securely" in place that were chained to the HMMWV exterior. Ask any service member about loving chockblocks and drip-pans. :suicide:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

nitrogen posted:

Is that a Gen 3 accord? It was my first car.

Sup 3rd gen buddy?

An 88 LXi sedan was my first car with a manual transmission (2nd vehicle to own, first was an 80 Ford F-150). Replaced it with an 88 DX coupe (also manual) when the sedan got stolen. Roommate killed the DX for me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Galler posted:

You could also pick the lock. Those pad locks completely trivial to pick to the point that a couple paperclips would probably be good enough.

If someone wants to steal your car, they're going to steal your car. Nothing will save it outside of sleeping in the back seat with a shotgun.

If someone's looking to quickly grab a car for a joy ride, they're going to walk past the one with a padlock around the shifter.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Bajaha posted:

I had a similar thought when I was looking for a new car recently. There was an 08 Jag XF with ~60k miles listed for $20k that looked really tempting, who can resist a classy v8 luxo-barge, but the fabled Jag reliability and it being just out of warranty scared me away.

Instead I got a new Hyundai that's had a new problem every other week since I picked it up a month ago :suicide:

I may have angered the AI gods going for a sensible choice...

I have the same problem when I am looking at used cars and see 2003 Audi RS6's for $19,995. It just takes a few minutes of reading enthusiast forums for a few minutes to see what they are spending on maintaining those particular models.

Modus Man fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 31, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

If someone wants to steal your car, they're going to steal your car. Nothing will save it outside of sleeping in the back seat with a shotgun.

If someone's looking to quickly grab a car for a joy ride, they're going to walk past the one with a padlock around the shifter.

No one ever questions a rollback taking a car.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

some texas redneck posted:

Sup 3rd gen buddy?

An 88 LXi sedan was my first car with a manual transmission (2nd vehicle to own, first was an 80 Ford F-150). Replaced it with an 88 DX coupe (also manual) when the sedan got stolen. Roommate killed the DX for me.

Hah, nice! Mine was an 86 LXi that was my mom's car, and became mine when she got something new. It had 170k miles on it when i got it, and I drove the poo poo out of it and it had over 240k on it when I was done. When I got rid of it in 1996, it still drove wonderfully despite having 2 bent wheels.

I have fond memories of trying to make the popup headlights blink at pretty girls when they walked past the car.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I didn't see the driver of the Smart but I imagine he was wearing a fedora. He probably attempts to coax women into his "chariot" while referring to them as "m'lady".

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
We have four Smarts in my office parking lot. The two with custom plates are GOTFUEL (a Brabus Smart) and ZOO. The other two have generic plates and parking lot damage that makes me wonder how the hell you fail to aim one of those things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because they think they're super clever for having a tiny car and stuff themselves into parking spots in all kinds of stupid ways.

This one has the plates "hi iq 42" (which is amusing to me because 42 mpg wasn't even all that great when the car was introduced, especially in a car that is nothing but a chair and four tires).

Used to park rotated at a full 90 degrees but eventually site security got tired of the complaints and ticketed the thing.

People probably give them a kick in the door as they walk past.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

xzzy posted:

Because they think they're super clever for having a tiny car and stuff themselves into parking spots in all kinds of stupid ways.

This one has the plates "hi iq 42" (which is amusing to me because 42 mpg wasn't even all that great when the car was introduced, especially in a car that is nothing but a chair and four tires).

Used to park rotated at a full 90 degrees but eventually site security got tired of the complaints and ticketed the thing.

It's probably because it's a smart fortwo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Liver Disaster posted:

It's probably because it's a smart fortwo

Yeah I guess that makes more sense.. I always thought the rating in the US was 42 mpg but looking it up, it's actually 41 mpg highway and 36 combined.

Goddamn one would have to be an idiot to buy a car that offers absolutely no storage space and doesn't even compensate with sperg levels of fuel economy. Pretty much every hatchback out there can hits those numbers and they maintain the ability to bring home a load of groceries.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

xzzy posted:

at least they could have the courtesy to park in the cross-hatched nonspace and let someone with an adult-sized car use the regular spot.

What is it about the Smart that sets off random anger in almost everybody? I see an iQ or one of those insectoid Mitsubishis and I'm just like "oh, neat". Smartcar? gently caress YOU I WILL RUN YOU OFF THE ROAD EVEN IF I HAVE TO WALK TWO BLOCKS BACK TO MY CAR TO DO SO.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

xzzy posted:

Yeah I guess that makes more sense.. I always thought the rating in the US was 42 mpg but looking it up, it's actually 41 mpg highway and 36 combined.

Goddamn one would have to be an idiot to buy a car that offers absolutely no storage space and doesn't even compensate with sperg levels of fuel economy. Pretty much every hatchback out there can hits those numbers and they maintain the ability to bring home a load of groceries.

And this is the reason they were a flop. The smart roadster was amazing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

triple clutcher posted:

at least they could have the courtesy to park in the cross-hatched nonspace and let someone with an adult-sized car use the regular spot.

What is it about the Smart that sets off random anger in almost everybody? I see an iQ or one of those insectoid Mitsubishis and I'm just like "oh, neat". Smartcar? gently caress YOU I WILL RUN YOU OFF THE ROAD EVEN IF I HAVE TO WALK TWO BLOCKS BACK TO MY CAR TO DO SO.

I used to park my motorcycle in the cross-hatched nonspace in my apartment complex until an apparently very bored roving policeman wrote me a parking ticket. It wasn't even a corner like that, it was just a regular spot that had a tree growing in part of it, making it too small for a car.

I've never seen an iQ or the iMEV whatever on the road, and I'll assume most drivers would have no idea what they are. The iQ at least tries to look like a normal car. The Smart just looks like the kind of thing bought by someone that smells their own farts.