Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

doomisland posted:

So whats up with people on survivor and never knowing to wear clothing that's suitable for surviving when you first show up?

I know that on *some* seasons they tell the players that they're going out for pre-game photoshoots, so they tell the players to get all dressed up to represent their personality or whatever. And then they just drop them off a boat and start the game - hence, lawyers all suited up and completely unprepared for life on the beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

STAC Goat posted:

She's only "high" on my board because so few others are past her. Its less a glowing recommendation of Sarah then it is a statement on the rest of the field. Sarah's definitely made some glaring mistakes and if she can't see past Tony's blue blood then she's probably screwed. But as much as I hate the throwing the challenge thing that's at least tied to the Tony thing. She still seems reasonably astute when a cop isn't involved, a solid social player, and a good comp player. I don't have her pegged as a "good" player but I think she's got the skills if she doesn't get tanked by the Tony thing or make an equally bad call.

Nah I think Sarah seems really really stupid.

REALLY stupid.
:)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

TheChad posted:

REALLY stupid.

TheChad posted:

REALLY stupid.

That's why she's a cop :v:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The brains tribe all lose points except Spencer for keeping J'Tia around instead of Garrett when she was the obvious weak link in all aspects of their tribe, and then acting like they are some majority alliance of 3 people in a seven person group. That worked out in their favor because the beauties were too dumb to grab Sarah and make a majority, but that's just another example of nobody knowing how to play. The Tess and Tasha interviews we get are extremely smug and make me thing "you idiots voted out your two strongest players back to back when all you needed to do was win challenges."

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Bigass Moth posted:

The brains tribe all lose points except Spencer for keeping J'Tia around instead of Garrett when she was the obvious weak link in all aspects of their tribe, and then acting like they are some majority alliance of 3 people in a seven person group. That worked out in their favor because the beauties were too dumb to grab Sarah and make a majority, but that's just another example of nobody knowing how to play. The Tess and Tasha interviews we get are extremely smug and make me thing "you idiots voted out your two strongest players back to back when all you needed to do was win challenges."
Dang man, you're saying they don't know how to play but you're missing so much here. Like, Tasha's reasons for keeping J'Tia have been well explained and posted just above. And they didn't "act like they are some majority alliance of 3 people in a seven person group," rather they immediately had Beauty players coming up to them as soon as they hit the beach.

And as for the beauties allying together I have no idea why so many people have suggested that. The Brains came in united after some tough tribals while the Beauty players that swapped into the new tribe were totally at odds. None of those three people were in any way allied with each other, and there was no trust between them. Saying the beauty players should have allied together is like looking at numbers on a piece of paper and totally disregarding the actual people they represent. As Alexis said, even if they had all agreed to stick together, none of them would have believed the others were really going to do it. And who's to even say if they did pull it off that they could get Sarah? Why would Sarah want to bring more Beauty players into the merge against her Brawn people?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This thread is getting too serious, let's all just smile and enjoy the show!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Somebody is totally going to shop that into The Corinthian with mouths in place of eyes and give me nightmares forever.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

I have no idea how someone shows so much gums when they smile.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Asiina posted:

I have no idea how someone shows so much gums when they smile.

I tried and can't do it even with my fakest, most poo poo eating grin.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The woman clearly has some horse somewhere in her ancestry. Judging from the noise that comes out of her mouth when she laughs, she also speaks the mother tongue quite fluently.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
So what you're saying is that she's related to Sarah Jessica Parker.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Propaganda Machine posted:

So what you're saying is that she's related to Sarah Jessica Parker.
No, Sarah Jessica Parker looks more like a foot but she does have that loooooooong face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_PZPpWTRTU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

I have a buddy whose wife has roughly 75% gum showing when she smiles. It is loving terrifying.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Fast Luck posted:

Dang man, you're saying they don't know how to play but you're missing so much here. Like, Tasha's reasons for keeping J'Tia have been well explained and posted just above. And they didn't "act like they are some majority alliance of 3 people in a seven person group," rather they immediately had Beauty players coming up to them as soon as they hit the beach.

And as for the beauties allying together I have no idea why so many people have suggested that. The Brains came in united after some tough tribals while the Beauty players that swapped into the new tribe were totally at odds. None of those three people were in any way allied with each other, and there was no trust between them. Saying the beauty players should have allied together is like looking at numbers on a piece of paper and totally disregarding the actual people they represent. As Alexis said, even if they had all agreed to stick together, none of them would have believed the others were really going to do it. And who's to even say if they did pull it off that they could get Sarah? Why would Sarah want to bring more Beauty players into the merge against her Brawn people?

All of this, but also, Spencer deserves a little criticism for sticking with Garrett once it became clear he was going to try and strong-arm everyone into not talking. What a weird and ultimately useless move. Seeing Spencer standing around like Garrett's lackey (as J'Tia poured the rice, mind you) was embarrassing as a Spencer fan. Thankfully, he has largely survived that and moved forward as a strong player.

Garrett had no game, he sucked as much as J'Tia.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Milovan Drecun posted:

All of this, but also, Spencer deserves a little criticism for sticking with Garrett once it became clear he was going to try and strong-arm everyone into not talking. What a weird and ultimately useless move. Seeing Spencer standing around like Garrett's lackey (as J'Tia poured the rice, mind you) was embarrassing as a Spencer fan. Thankfully, he has largely survived that and moved forward as a strong player.

Garrett had no game, he sucked as much as J'Tia.

That's a tough position though. Obviously Garrett was a gigantic moron/loose cannon, but at the same time, anyone with a brain would have seen the future trajectory of that tribe in challenges if you cut him loose. You would have to be really dumb to look at what would be left after Garrett and think you're going to be highly competitive in team challenges.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't begrudge Spencer sticking with Garrett. He didn't know which way Kass was going to vote and if she had voted J'Tia out then he would have been in a much better position on top of a stronger tribe. If he had voted Garrett out then he just looks like he's backstabbing an ally to curry some favor. It wasn't really much more of a choice for him than it was for Tasha.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

That's a tough position though. Obviously Garrett was a gigantic moron/loose cannon, but at the same time, anyone with a brain would have seen the future trajectory of that tribe in challenges if you cut him loose. You would have to be really dumb to look at what would be left after Garrett and think you're going to be highly competitive in team challenges.

In the 3 challenges after voting out Garrett, the Brains came in second in one of them and lost one by a matter of seconds. Only the swimming challenge had much of a physical component, and if Brawn hadn't been trying to throw that challenge, it's not even clear if Garrett would have helped much then either.

Certainly on aggregate Garrett is more useful than J'Tia in challenges, but an annoying trend in recent seasons is to never vote out any strong, buff guys pre-merge out of fear of losing every immunity challenge thereafter. It's both boring for the viewer and also not really founded in much reality-- as shown by Brains winning their first challenge after voting out Garrett, and the loved ones tribe winning their first challenge after voting out Brad Culpepper.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The edit was particularly unkind to Garrett, I'd suggest taking ten minutes and listening to his RHAP exit interview if anybody hadn't. He owned up to his mistakes and had some reasonable explanations for a lot of his decisions that didn't come off like he was making excuses. I was rather surprised and impressed.

Edit: skip the first half, David's exit interview didn't really add anything interesting.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I listened to Garrett's interview and I wasn't at all impressed. He made a lot of claims that he couldn't support and the usual "you didn't see what happened" thing. If I remember correctly his entire defense rested on his insistence that no one knew he was working with Spencer and Kass was completely snowed by them. He can claim that all he wants and its possible the show edited it to look otherwise but there's absolutely nothing supporting his claim while the very results support the show's edit. He just comes off as arrogant and deluded to me until Kass or Tasha come out and say "yeah, we had no idea him and Spencer were together and that was just a desperate long shot."

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
You should give it another listen, that's way off. I just relistened to refresh my memory and the high points were:

- Drawing on previous three tribe seasons to recognize the accelerated pace of the early game with a smaller tribe. He seems to be a legit fan of the show.

- Correctly reading that Spencer was only loyal as long as it was in his best interest and a Garrett/Spencer/J'Tia/Tasha position was guaranteed doom for Garrett.

- Recognizing that Kass was the key to the whole early game before David was even out and working her hard from the start.

- A surprisingly humble acknowledgement a couple of times that he is 100% to blame for his vote out and that he got straight up outplayed by Tasha.

- A reasonable explanation of how the idol was handled, discussing the risks involved in digging it up before tribal. Kass had him feeling so solid they were together that he felt it was a bigger risk to go dig it up than to not have it. Believing J'Tia was likely to go home after dumping the rice and sucking at the challenges seemed reasonable.

- Where he felt the edit was misleading were pretty reasonable things. Tasha's rant about "nobody wants to talk strategy, they're not playing the game!" was just because she was in a losing spot and wanted to drag Kass/J'Tia off. Also he felt the suggestion Kass's vote swung on things said at tribal council was inaccurate and the "alliance of four" comment was blown out of proportion. Tasha made a better play for Kass and beat him. He was quick to credit Tasha multiple times.

He certainly made mistakes but he wasn't half as incoherent as the show made him seem.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I definitely remembering him giving Tasha credit for outplaying him and I don't begrudge him too much for the idol thing although I personally think if you have an idol you bring it to EVERY Council no matter how safe you feel just in case something crazy happens like the Caleb thing last season that got Brad out.

I just thought a lot of his story amounted to his own evaluation of his own game skills, which is clearly biased. A lot of it seemed about how well he felt he was hiding his alliance with Spencer or convincing Kass she was good with him. But that's stuff he can't possibly know because he can't see what the others are thinking or saying. It just struck me as arrogance and an inflated sense of his game.

But I'll give it another listen later.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
He definitely felt like he did a better job of hiding his alliance with Spencer than he did, but I thought he was pretty good at saying he worked his rear end off trying to secure Kass and it didn't play out. Tasha made a better pitch and his efforts were for naught.

I don't want to oversell the guy too much, he's an early boot who made mistakes and couldn't pull it together in time. He's just not a total garbage fire of a player. He made good reads, was on the right track, caught a couple bad breaks and got beat by Tasha. For a Survivor exit interview that's shockingly mature.

You could probably count on one hand the number of exit interviews that don't involve "they voted me out cause I'm such a huge threat" or "I hate all of these people". I tend to like people who can lose somewhat gracefully.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I listened to it too and wasn't overly impressed. It did raise my opinion of him, but only from something around "terrible" to something like "a guy who had ideas about where alliances needed to be and would be the next vote or two down the line, but failed socially and got voted out instead." And he also failed socially on the podcast as well...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think he's one of the worst players ever or anything. I think he played super lovely for like half a day and that killed him, but its literally just that. Half a day/a couple of hours of mistakes that he couldn't rebound from and did him in. He made a huge blunder trying to control the tribe before Council and prevent scrambling and then poorly chosen words in Council punctuated the doubts that caused, and maybe an extra mistake on not going for the idol (but who could he have when he was trying to control the tribe?). That's not the worst gameplay ever but it was bad and hilarious to watch.

It also probably didn't help Garrett's case that he started the interview by completely missing the joke Rob made about "having a side conversation with him."

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Both pretty fair assessments. I'd rank him amongst early boots like Francesqua rather than the Chicken from China or Wandas of the world. A good call by casting, a sharp player with flaws who could maybe make the merge/have a few interesting moments if you were to run the season a hundred times.

Him missing that joke was rather cringeworthy I will admit. You can tell he had a lot on his mind and was super excited to be on the podcast. That he's a RHAP fan didn't hurt my opinion of him either.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
He's long gone now... unless they decide to do a season with players voted out within the first two days or some such. Can you imagine?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't mean that him missing the joke really means anything. It was just funny that considering the "side conversation" thing was his huge mistake that killed his game so for him to completely miss the joke ends up giving you the impression that he's clueless to it. But of course the truth is he was probably just jazzed up and had a lot on his mind like you said, and just missed a joke.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

BGrifter posted:

You should give it another listen, that's way off. I just relistened to refresh my memory and the high points were:

- Drawing on previous three tribe seasons to recognize the accelerated pace of the early game with a smaller tribe. He seems to be a legit fan of the show.
Oh by the way, I don't think he went in as a fan of the show to begin with... I think he was recruited and then threw himself headfirst into watching 20,000 hours of Survivor and reading all the kinds of strategy breakdown like a maniac. I'm not sure what that distinction means exactly, but I do think that's how it actually went down.

Also he got knocked out in a situation where I really don't think he should have been knocked out. Kass chose the bossy weakest competitor who had also just dumped out the rice over Garrett's alliance and I have to think that doesn't happen unless Garrett is bad. Maybe she just wanted to move up from 3rd to 2nd in her alliance but I gotta think Garrett had the inside track in that situation and bungled it with his anti-social no side conversations mantra.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 2, 2014

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I haven't listened to the podcast, but Garrett claiming that Kass made up her mind before Tribal is directly at odds with Kass's confessional minutes after Tribal where she stated she didn't decide until she got there. I assume Garrett didn't see that until after the podcast, which further shows that he is not particularly socially aware and somewhat deluded about what actually went down.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

mancalamania posted:

I haven't listened to the podcast, but Garrett claiming that Kass made up her mind before Tribal is directly at odds with Kass's confessional minutes after Tribal where she stated she didn't decide until she got there. I assume Garrett didn't see that until after the podcast, which further shows that he is not particularly socially aware and somewhat deluded about what actually went down.

I think you might be remembering the confessional Kass made after choosing Spencer over J'Tia. I don't remember a confessional where she said she chose J'Tia over Garrett at TC.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Holy poo poo! I get to livepost this week!

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

:siren: Previously on Poque snipes the Survivor thread! :siren:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Propaganda Machine posted:

Holy poo poo! I get to livepost this week!

There are few things in life as good as TVIV'ing a show.

PREVIOUSLY ON...SURVIVOR.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Spencer don't you know that when you say "We're controlling the game" during the pre-credits teaser, Tribal goes bad for you :ohdear:

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
No Sarah - Top 6 does not sound a hell of a lot better than Top 5

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Chances of the six of them sticking together? 3%

edit: as soon as I post that, Kass goes off again and is too direct, just like she was with Jtia.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Kass is so stupid. How is she a lawyer?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

TMMadman posted:

Kass is so stupid. How is she a lawyer?

It is hard to articulate how many lawyers there are. They can't all be geniuses.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
I rescind my compliments of Kass. wow waa wii waa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

"We go with the hard evidence. The evidence is: you voted for us. But my gut is that I don't trust you." Hard evidence, folks.

• Locked thread