Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Man, I wish there was a body of "plays" for playing with lower-level teams where players can be unpredictable. It's nice to get to drill break-ins, break-outs, cycling, etc., but in game situations it'd be a lot more useful to me to have a repertoire of useful reactions to the things that happen in a game full of beginners. For example, it feels like there can be 3-4-5 turnovers in a given end between different players throwing away the puck in a panic, falling down, passing to opposing players, etc., and a lot of the time I feel like I could put a stop to it and do something productive (either take possession and shoot or take possession and get the puck out of the zone, depending) if I could just figure out what to do. Other times I'm busy keeping a strong opponent out of the play, and I just wish I had a better sense of when to stop defending my man and leave the zone (hopefully after it's too late for a bad bounce/panic-throw to end in another turnover in our end, but before the rest of my line crosses the neutral zone). I don't have a good sense of how my strategy should change depending on the other players (e.g. if we have 3 centers and 2 lines of wings/D, I could be out one shift with fast, mobile wings and old-guy D, but the next shift with new-skater wings and fast, mobile D). In the end I feel like I'm more reactive and less productive than I should be relative to my skating.

Oh well.

Not so much a play but at beginner levels something you can take advantage of if your skating is decent is just to get close and pressure people on the forecheck / as they are getting possession of the puck. Most beginners need a few seconds to corral the puck and get their head up to make a pass so if you can get close to them on the forecheck they may panic and make a bad pass or get distracted and over skate the puck or something.

Also, something I've noticed lately is that if you are retrieving a loose puck in the corner of your own end, a lot of people are just going to do a flyby or otherwise not come hard at you because starting and stopping is hard, so if you just sort of stop and protect the puck for a second you might find yourself all alone with a few extra moments to make a play out of the zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Verman posted:

The less you care about color the better the glove you will get for less money. Nobody cares what you wear as long as it's not 99 or 69. Mirrored visors, white gloves, and yellow laces are generally viewed as being pretty douchey though.
Oh no, I wouldn't go with anything substandard just because the color was different, I just meant if it were the same thing one way or the other. I'm really not horribly worried about it, just when I read the bit about purple I suddenly wondered if it was anything like jersey color in bicycling or that (which I'm not HORRIBLY concerned about either generally, but I'd never purposefully wear a stage leader jersey over my fat rear end, for example). No worries.

Verman posted:

I practice stick handling with gloves on for two reasons. When I play games I'm going to be wearing gloves so I like it to feel the same. Also my right (top) hand develops a blister on the palm if I go without gloves.
Exactly what I expected to hear, thanks!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Fashion rules for hockey are as such:
If you have really lovely, run down, skates from the 80s: you are an awesome skater
if you wear sweatpants as socks, you're a pretty good player.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

Verman posted:

The less you care about color the better the glove you will get for less money. Nobody cares what you wear as long as it's not 99 or 69. Mirrored visors, white gloves, and yellow laces are generally viewed as being pretty douchey though.

I get the mirrored/tinted visors and white gloves but mostly everyone in my league has yellow laces. I don't think there is anything douchey about it.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Yeah aren't the yellow laces just waxed laces? I got nothing against waxed laces but I don't like to use them.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

I've been skiing since about the time I could walk, so mileage may vary. My guess is it's probably an easier transition from skis to skates than vice versa. But knowing one should make the other much easier.

i agree with that. i cant really say to what extent skating helped but i imagine it'd have been a lot more difficult to ski had i not skated my whole life.

btw i really want to ski more now.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I feel the urge to buy brightly colored stick tape.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Thufir posted:

Not so much a play but at beginner levels something you can take advantage of if your skating is decent is just to get close and pressure people on the forecheck / as they are getting possession of the puck. Most beginners need a few seconds to corral the puck and get their head up to make a pass so if you can get close to them on the forecheck they may panic and make a bad pass or get distracted and over skate the puck or something.

I'm pretty good at this, actually. The thing about forcing someone to throw the puck away in a panic, though, is that it feels like it just perpetuates the clusterfuck. IF I have a teammate who is on the ball or has lucky positioning AND doesn't in turn panic and pass to the opponent, it works out pretty well. But as often as not, either an opponent gets to the loose puck first or my team loses it. In one of my leagues, players are more likely to try to keep the puck when challenged and I really prefer that; it's really ideal if I can just take a puck off of someone's stick but even if I just force him to stop and stand against the boards trying to decide what to do next it seems like the odds of a positive outcome are better. What I hate the most is when the puck is getting slapped back and forth between a handful of near-stationary players and there's no obvious action to take.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

In my beginner level I find being able to pressure the puck carrier helpful in that it gives my team time to position or reposition themselves (a hard forecheck after losing possession- giving my guys time to get back into zone), or have the player cough up the puck.

It also give me an awesome excuse to skate back to the bench because I gave everyone else time to do a line change :D

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Fashion rules for hockey are as such:
If you have really lovely, run down, skates from the 80s: you are an awesome skater
if you wear sweatpants as socks, you're a pretty good player.

Corollary: If you wear all the full kit for your local NHL franchise, you are terrible.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bigbillystyle posted:

Yeah aren't the yellow laces just waxed laces? I got nothing against waxed laces but I don't like to use them.

You can get any color waxed laces. Yellow laces are for Ruskies.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Man, I wish there was a body of "plays" for playing with lower-level teams where players can be unpredictable. It's nice to get to drill break-ins, break-outs, cycling, etc., but in game situations it'd be a lot more useful to me to have a repertoire of useful reactions to the things that happen in a game full of beginners. For example, it feels like there can be 3-4-5 turnovers in a given end between different players throwing away the puck in a panic, falling down, passing to opposing players, etc., and a lot of the time I feel like I could put a stop to it and do something productive (either take possession and shoot or take possession and get the puck out of the zone, depending) if I could just figure out what to do. Other times I'm busy keeping a strong opponent out of the play, and I just wish I had a better sense of when to stop defending my man and leave the zone (hopefully after it's too late for a bad bounce/panic-throw to end in another turnover in our end, but before the rest of my line crosses the neutral zone). I don't have a good sense of how my strategy should change depending on the other players (e.g. if we have 3 centers and 2 lines of wings/D, I could be out one shift with fast, mobile wings and old-guy D, but the next shift with new-skater wings and fast, mobile D). In the end I feel like I'm more reactive and less productive than I should be relative to my skating.

Oh well.

You already have an advantage in that you understand that something is going wrong. If I understand the question, you're hoping for tips and strategy will help you correct someone else's mistakes and turn them into a good hockey play.

If you're playing at a beginner level, it's not obvious but you should _not_ try to compensate for someone else's bad positioning, bad skating or just bad hockey. If you're playing right wing, go to where the right winger should be. Don't try to do the center's/defencemen's/goalie's job, even if he/she sucks at it.

An experienced player playing at a high level might be able to read a play (eg. a defencemen get's caught pinching in the offensive zone and a forward can then drop back to help out) but for folks just starting out, I advise staying in your 'home' and being a reliable player. If and when you skate with more experience folks, they will expect you to be there anyway and teaching by example is more powerful then an on-ice lecture anyday.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

D C posted:

You can get any color waxed laces. Yellow laces are for Ruskies.

Makes sense I guess. Back in my day the only color you could get waxed laces were yellow (at least where I live). I never got into them so I'm out of touch on the wax lace game. Give me cloth black at 108" and I'm good to go.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

oddIXIbbo posted:

You already have an advantage in that you understand that something is going wrong. If I understand the question, you're hoping for tips and strategy will help you correct someone else's mistakes and turn them into a good hockey play.

I am sure I am sometimes trying to compensate for my own mistakes as well, obviously (particularly playing center in the offensive zone whoa boy am I clueless). But yes.

quote:

If you're playing at a beginner level, it's not obvious but you should _not_ try to compensate for someone else's bad positioning, bad skating or just bad hockey. If you're playing right wing, go to where the right winger should be. Don't try to do the center's/defencemen's/goalie's job, even if he/she sucks at it.

An experienced player playing at a high level might be able to read a play (eg. a defencemen get's caught pinching in the offensive zone and a forward can then drop back to help out) but for folks just starting out, I advise staying in your 'home' and being a reliable player. If and when you skate with more experience folks, they will expect you to be there anyway and teaching by example is more powerful then an on-ice lecture anyday.

Well, that's the thing. I'm not a beginner, I've been playing for about 10 years off and on, but I'm stuck at the level I'm at because I am a tiny, out-of-shape middle-aged lady. If I play on a mixed-level tournament team or something I do play wing with very strict positioning and just stay predictable. A few months into the season the more athletic newer skaters will be faster and more productive than I am and I'll probably be back to that. But for now I get to pretend I know WTF I'm doing as one of the "more experienced folks".

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Get lower on the breakout. Get into the slot and stay low for a very close pass. Closer pass is less chance for your team to mess it up.

Most broken breakouts at lower levels are usually because there's not enough skating and everyone is too far away. Get lower towards your D so the pass is easier for them.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Oh yeah, it's Yeehaw v. Xzzy Round two this weekend. My team has only held a lead in two of the games we've played so far, while Xzzy's team has been on a bit of a tear.

Also, Xzzy's team has the sortest girl in the universe on it, and she keeps trying to screen the goalie. It'd be cute if it wasn't so drat funny.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

Get lower on the breakout. Get into the slot and stay low for a very close pass. Closer pass is less chance for your team to mess it up.

Most broken breakouts at lower levels are usually because there's not enough skating and everyone is too far away. Get lower towards your D so the pass is easier for them.

Always between the opposing dman and your dman. Also, my coach instilled in me, being at the hashmarks for the breakout pass

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I've been playing drop-in for the last 13 years. I'm pretty sure this "get low" thing is garbage advice. You're much better off banging your stick on the ice at the offensive blue-line. Just make sure you open up to accept that sweet 100' tape-to-tape sauce that's about to come your way.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
We are getting near the end of the season and that means one thing.. Prostock sales. Who plans on going and for what teams? If we could build some sort of "wishlist" and try to help each other out that would be rad.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I'll probably be able to get early access for the Preds sale as a STH if it's not in the middle of a workday or something. The Predators are opening a new rink with a pro shop this summer though so I wouldn't be super surprised if they held out the good stuff to sell there.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsCdywftyok

Here's a really cool vid about the science of a slap shot. They also actually take various sticks from different manufactures and scientifically measure their flex ratings and how they work and differ.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We had our season ending spring tourney this weekend which was a lot of fun, except for one part. I knocked a defenseman over who skated into me after taking a shot from the point. He was calling me out after that, I got your number 22, I got your number! So the two of us are going into the corner later in the game and I'm thinking, ok here comes the payback. I get ready for the hit, but no, instead he two hand chops my stick and breaks it in half. We get into a little pushing match and we both get penalties. This is a no check league and when I knocked the guy down I didn't receive a penalty for it because it really was incidental contact where this guy happened to fall over. I'm fine with getting some payback if the guy comes in and roughs me up but purposely breaking a stick is just all around assholeness. We all know the things aren't loving cheap. At least the season is over and I have a few months to get another one since my best back up now is also kind of broken.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So he was given a 2 for slashing (breaking your stick) and you got 2 for roughing after the play?

The weirdest part is how he didn't get an additional 2 minutes for the after play nonsense.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

poser posted:

We are getting near the end of the season and that means one thing.. Prostock sales. Who plans on going and for what teams? If we could build some sort of "wishlist" and try to help each other out that would be rad.
Can someone elaborate on this? I've held off on purchasing any more gear other than my stick and gloves (basic, cheap stick and some Warrior closeouts from Hockeymonkey for $50).

On another note, loving skating is awesome and stick and puck even more so. Had a couple of guys doing exercises at New England Sports Center take some time out and throw me some pointers which really helped the other day, so loving hooked on this poo poo it's ridiculous. My (extremely southern, football loving) family however believes that I've taken up Devil worship or something.

Stopping still sucks, I get the theory, but damned if I can't bring myself to trust my skates and the ice and just let them dig in and STOP me, I always puss out and just grind along a bit. Also, gently caress crossovers, gently caress them gently caress them.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hockey rules question:

Team A dumps puck in offensive zone. Team A defenseman retrieves puck. Team A defenseman passes to Team A winger, who tries to pass to Team A center. Team B winger picks off pass just outside of the blue line. Team B winger turns and accelerates into the zone. Center from Team B curls at the blue line to avoid offside, loses an edge, slides across blue line at roughly the same time Team B winger carries the puck in. Feet clearly cross the blue line before the puck, but not his head/shoulders. Offsides, or no?

Play was completely irrelevant to the outcome of the game but we actually found a situation where none of the fairly experienced 20-odd guys and at least 4 referees including one guy who is an AHL lineseman knew what the actual rule was. We argued about it for like 30 minutes after the game and this included getting out rulebooks and so on.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I thought that if you had any part of your body on the blue line at all, you were onsides.

e: VV huh, learn something new every day.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
Your skates are what determine offsides. If your skates are over the line when the puck crosses, it's offside, regardless of where the rest of your body is. (Under USAH rules)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Did anyone discussing this blurt out "determining edge"? It's mostly irrelevant to this case but it was something USAH drilled into my head during recurrent training.

iostream.h posted:

Can someone elaborate on this? I've held off on purchasing any more gear other than my stick and gloves (basic, cheap stick and some Warrior closeouts from Hockeymonkey for $50).

Teams sell their old and busted gear or gear from ex players that they can't reuse. The selection is minimal but deals are to be had if you don't care about colors, condition, or brands. I have a pair of gloves that a friend grabbed me from their team sale. Great backup pair for when my Eagles are getting re-palmed.

The usually have a few sticks (only if you get there early) and skates, lots of socks, a few gloves and occasionally pants/helmets.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 31, 2014

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lynx posted:

Your skates are what determine offsides. If your skates are over the line when the puck crosses, it's offside, regardless of where the rest of your body is. (Under USAH rules)

This is where the argument went, at what point does "skate" go from blade to boot, and what if both the boots are in the air, and what if one boot is behind the other, and so on and so on.

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013

iostream.h posted:

On another note, loving skating is awesome and stick and puck even more so. Had a couple of guys doing exercises at New England Sports Center take some time out and throw me some pointers which really helped the other day, so loving hooked on this poo poo it's ridiculous. My (extremely southern, football loving) family however believes that I've taken up Devil worship or something.

Stopping still sucks, I get the theory, but damned if I can't bring myself to trust my skates and the ice and just let them dig in and STOP me, I always puss out and just grind along a bit. Also, gently caress crossovers, gently caress them gently caress them.

At the end of each season, the pro teams unload a bunch of their used gear. I don't know if you're able to go directly to the team and buy the gear, but my local skate shop usually buys a nice big chunk of pants, helmets, gloves, and twigs to sell in the shop for pretty cheap.

Don't stress about stopping and definitely don't stress about x-overs. Easy to explain, lots of skating time to execute properly. Stay excited and don't be afraid to push yourself and fall all over the place and you'll be a boss in no time.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

thengeance posted:

Don't stress about stopping and definitely don't stress about x-overs. Easy to explain, lots of skating time to execute properly. Stay excited and don't be afraid to push yourself and fall all over the place and you'll be a boss in no time.
Oh awesome about the gear sales, if anyone's planning on picking some stuff up (I'm getting ready to head back South so I'll likely miss anything) I would appreciate a good deal and wouldn't mind your making a bit of profit off of me.

I appreciate the encouragement, I'm definitely not stressing over it, it's a blast and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I've managed to scrounge up a couple of coaches (both pro and 'hey want to make a quick $20?) and when I started working on crossovers on Friday the guy started laughing and blurted out 'holy poo poo you're actually doing it!' (after which point I immediately proceeded to bust my rear end and go spinning). When the world finally stopped spinning around me I asked what the hell (laughingly) and he said 'well, you said you didn't feel you were pushing hard enough since you weren't falling much, so I figured this was the easiest way to put you on your rear end, I didn't expect you to actually DO it at all' so I was chuffed.

Hopefully I'm not irritating anyone with my goofy rear end 'hi guys I'm learning to skate I want to play hockey' blog posting in here, if so I'll cut it out.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

sellouts posted:

So he was given a 2 for slashing (breaking your stick) and you got 2 for roughing after the play?

The weirdest part is how he didn't get an additional 2 minutes for the after play nonsense.

Honestly I don't even think they were going to call the slash and just got us both for roughing. I mostly just wanted to vent about somebody purposely breaking my stick rather than just hitting me going into the corner.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

iostream.h posted:

Hopefully I'm not irritating anyone with my goofy rear end 'hi guys I'm learning to skate I want to play hockey' blog posting in here, if so I'll cut it out.

Nope its rad as hell and is the best part of reading this thread. The even better bit is you're only at the beginning.

This guy right here is Laurence. Laurence is 44 years old, we call him the pope. He started skating 2 years ago when his 16 year old son took up the sport. Last week, he received the puck at the oppo's blueline, skated in and ripped it 5-hole. It was the first goal he has ever scored and in all my years of playing hockey I have never seen or heard a bench of players explode and roar so loud like we just won the Stanley Cup.

You have all of this to come. Hockey is awesome.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

bewbies posted:

This is where the argument went, at what point does "skate" go from blade to boot, and what if both the boots are in the air, and what if one boot is behind the other, and so on and so on.

Your skate must be in contact with the ice (blue line or neutral zone). Only one skate has to touch, so it doesn't matter if one is in front of the other (that's why you see guys straddling the blue line). Skate refers to the entire blade and boot, which might be difficult to actually determine if your socks cover part of the skate, but luckily this kind of thing doesn't happen very often.

(USAH Rule 630 Situations 7 and 8, for those interested in reading more)

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Had a fun game tonight against one of the other top teams in our league. Managed to get a 2-goal game thanks to a lovely pass from behind the net and a sweet deflection from the point.

Doing a deke is pretty but goddamn did it feel great to deflect a shot that was going wide into the net.

This is also about my 2342 2-goal game none of which have sadly turned into a hat-trick game so I'm still trying my damnest to get a goddamned hatty.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Zip! posted:

Nope its rad as hell and is the best part of reading this thread. The even better bit is you're only at the beginning.

This guy right here is Laurence. Laurence is 44 years old, we call him the pope. He started skating 2 years ago when his 16 year old son took up the sport. Last week, he received the puck at the oppo's blueline, skated in and ripped it 5-hole. It was the first goal he has ever scored and in all my years of playing hockey I have never seen or heard a bench of players explode and roar so loud like we just won the Stanley Cup.

You have all of this to come. Hockey is awesome.

This is worthy of celebrating, and chances are the opposing team is even doing some stick tapping. Now when you start celebrating a goal that you shoot, it hits the defenseman, then hits the other d-man in the shoulder and proceeds to float into the net at a 45 degree angle as the goalie tries to come back to the puck...that's just dumb... Congrats on accidentally scoring, you'd better celebrate like you just won The Cup as you go up 1-0 after 3 minutes in. (Note: this team also does a "1-2-3. [TEAM NAME!]" chant before each period. :wtc:

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.

iostream.h posted:

I'm in the same boat my friend. Been skating for the last 4 weekends and managed to do crossovers last Sunday, but only when turning right. Need to get more confidence before I try it on my weaker leg.

It's awesome. Every single day I've been so far has been awesome.

I signed up for the local rinks Learn to Skate course, unfortunately that starts at the end of April... But I can't wait.

For now though I'm just going to try and spend more time skating and improving.

It's great knowing others have started late and still have a blast.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

iostream.h posted:

Oh awesome about the gear sales, if anyone's planning on picking some stuff up (I'm getting ready to head back South so I'll likely miss anything) I would appreciate a good deal and wouldn't mind your making a bit of profit off of me.

I appreciate the encouragement, I'm definitely not stressing over it, it's a blast and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I've managed to scrounge up a couple of coaches (both pro and 'hey want to make a quick $20?) and when I started working on crossovers on Friday the guy started laughing and blurted out 'holy poo poo you're actually doing it!' (after which point I immediately proceeded to bust my rear end and go spinning). When the world finally stopped spinning around me I asked what the hell (laughingly) and he said 'well, you said you didn't feel you were pushing hard enough since you weren't falling much, so I figured this was the easiest way to put you on your rear end, I didn't expect you to actually DO it at all' so I was chuffed.

Nope, no one who is new to the sport is irritating to us.

As for gear sales in Da Souf, depending on where you are down here, I know the Texas Stars (Austin) will be having their annual gear sale shortly after the AHL playoffs end (later, rather than sooner). As for doing crossovers and biting it, we've all been there and likely still go there from time to time.

xryokus posted:

I'm in the same boat my friend. Been skating for the last 4 weekends and managed to do crossovers last Sunday, but only when turning right. Need to get more confidence before I try it on my weaker leg.

It's awesome. Every single day I've been so far has been awesome.

I signed up for the local rinks Learn to Skate course, unfortunately that starts at the end of April... But I can't wait.

For now though I'm just going to try and spend more time skating and improving.

It's great knowing others have started late and still have a blast.

Welcome to what is the best sport around. Starting late in hockey isn't a big deal since most of us seem to have started late.
After my game tonight I watched a few developmental adult league games and realized those guys are having way more fun than we've been having lately which really brought home that no matter what level you're at, just go out, skate, have fun, and drink a few beers after.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I broke my breakaway curse last night. Haven't been able to score on one in forever. Got a nice tape-to-tape pass from my D-man on the breakout, split the D and snapped it five-hole.

That was my fourth night of hockey in a row and tonight will make it 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yeah well I got a nice tape to tape to tape pass as the center, broke their neutral zone trap by splitting their 3 players and scored 5 hole, twice.

It's my fifth night of hockey in a row and tonight will make it 7

nbd