Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Powershift posted:

and then the driver will drive 80 miles to the dealer to investigate a noise and bright white sparks shooting out from under their car.

What dealer?

Edit: seriously though Tesla will send the tech out to you and replace the 20 cent clip in your driveway

Viper915 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'd like to know how many people actually didn't care about power, because I test drove one and was completely turned off by the lack of torque and it's why I decided to jump from any sporty vehicle in that price range and was looking at an Optima instead.

And Optima bought. Grabbed the SX Turbo with Premium and Tech package. Its pretty comfy and I'm stoked with how much car you get for the price. I never thought I would buy new, but here I am.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Tesla S is getting free body armor.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/03/shields-up-tesla-model-s-gains-free-titanium-and-aluminum-armor-upgrade/

Those demonstration gifs are amazing. I particularly like Tesla vs. Alternator.

I'm not convinced until they show an encounter with a sewing machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwinnODU0yo

e: That isn't nearly as funny as it was in 1995... :geno:

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 30, 2014

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Aeka 2.0 posted:

And Optima bought. Grabbed the SX Turbo with Premium and Tech package. Its pretty comfy and I'm stoked with how much car you get for the price. I never thought I would buy new, but here I am.

These are sharp looking and well equipped for the price but not sure who cross shops that with a gt86. I test drove an optima when my dad was looking to buy one and they have a very nice engine attached to a pretty clumsy throttle (i dont know if its just the mapping or the entire automatic transmission in the car).

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

coolskillrex remix posted:

These are sharp looking and well equipped for the price but not sure who cross shops that with a gt86. I test drove an optima when my dad was looking to buy one and they have a very nice engine attached to a pretty clumsy throttle (i dont know if its just the mapping or the entire automatic transmission in the car).

Yup, I mentioned the throttle earlier and I'm betting it's the drive by wire mapping, it's not good when you need to get on the brakes in a hurry since the throttle doesn't snap shut when you let off. Although somebody did mention 3 drive modes that may not be known during a test drive. I put it on "Sport" and it was much more responsive, but not as much as I would like. Eco mode changes your sharp throttle inputs into slow ones making the pedal feel really heavy, I've use it more than I thought I would when on the highway for mileage.

edit: An option limitation I found out, you can choose either a heated steering wheel OR paddle shifters. They cannot be combined.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 30, 2014

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

coolskillrex remix posted:

These are sharp looking and well equipped for the price but not sure who cross shops that with a gt86.

My final 2 contenders when I was shopping were the FRS and a Golf TDI. I bought the Golf.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

I saw a Fisker Karma in the flesh today up close. It sounds incredibly strange, like a drat space ship or something, I couldn't wrap my head around it :psyduck:

Local awesome dealer Sweetcars had one in their inventory for 6 months. They brought it to almost every Cars & Coffee meet last year and it was awesome.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

My final 2 contenders when I was shopping were the FRS and a Golf TDI. I bought the Golf.

I wanted a Golf or a JSW baaaad, but every dealer in the area looked at me like I had three heads when I asked them to order one with the 6spd manual. One salesman wasn't even aware they offered a manual in their cars anymore. I ended up with a Volt.

But really, gently caress Miami, is what I'm saying.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MrYenko posted:

I wanted a Golf or a JSW baaaad, but every dealer in the area looked at me like I had three heads when I asked them to order one with the 6spd manual. One salesman wasn't even aware they offered a manual in their cars anymore. I ended up with a Volt.

But really, gently caress Miami, is what I'm saying.

So you wanted a manual wagon/hatch type vehicle but ended up with a non-manual sedan. Your dealers probably knew they'd be wasting their time ordering it because you weren't dead-set on the car you wanted.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PCOS Bill posted:

So you wanted a manual wagon/hatch type vehicle but ended up with a non-manual sedan. Your dealers probably knew they'd be wasting their time ordering it because you weren't dead-set on the car you wanted.

I wanted a Golf or JSW not for cargo space, but because the Jetta sedan is an ugly bitch. Also, I didn't so much want a manual, as I didn't want VWs fussy DSG.

Also, very, very, VERY tired of the "dealer knew he'd be wasting his time" excuse. I had the same problem when I tried to buy a GTO locally. They'd all hem and haw, and do everything BUT fill out the godamned order sheet. One tried to sell me a Solstice GXP instead. I ended up buying from a dealer out of state, and took it to my local Pontiac dealer for service, to rub it in their face.

Problem was, they were out of business. I wonder why.

The dealer exists to sell me the car I want, not whatever useless beige bullshit he has sitting on the lot.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hey you don't have to justify yourself to me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PCOS Bill posted:

Hey you don't have to justify yourself to me.

It was more me venting at the inane dealer structure. I loving hate dealers.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Dealerships are the biggest reason I've yet to buy a new car. I shouldn't have to engage in this enormous complicated song and dance to convince you it's worthwhile letting me buy the car I want even before the ludicrous song and dance that is bickering over a few hundred dollars of the price. That's even assuming the car exists and I don't have to drive across town to every single dealership to find an example, which has been the case with every car I've wanted to buy for the last five years.

If I could pay an extra ten grand over sticker to kick the poo poo out of the salesman and his manager for an hour I'd do it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Dealerships are the biggest reason I've yet to buy a new car. I shouldn't have to engage in this enormous complicated song and dance to convince you it's worthwhile letting me buy the car I want even before the ludicrous song and dance that is bickering over a few hundred dollars of the price. That's even assuming the car exists and I don't have to drive across town to every single dealership to find an example, which has been the case with every car I've wanted to buy for the last five years.

If I could pay an extra ten grand over sticker to kick the poo poo out of the salesman and his manager for an hour I'd do it.

All of this. My GTO, and now my Volt are both great cars, that I'd recommend to anyone in a heartbeat...

...If they didn't have to go to a General Motors dealer to get one.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I bet you could work that into the deal if you tried hard enough.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

MrYenko posted:

Problem was, they were out of business. I wonder why.

Probably had to do with having to sell late-model Pontiacs

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I bet you could work that into the deal if you tried hard enough.

Nah, they'd probably insist the boots get all sorts of pointless undercoatings and tack on foot-to-rear end delivery fees

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I'm lucky in that I think I have one of the only "honest" dealerships in my area. We worked out a ~2k discount on my Mazda 3. I was never put under pressure, all my questions were answered, their markup was shown to me directly and we began our negotiation from there. They are getting a LOT of business because of their no bullshit, no pressure approach. This dealer didn't even charge an "administration fee". They flat out said they were dumb and unnecessary.

Every other dealer either told me that I must compete with other customers and pay more for a car or refused to give me an offer unless I made a firm commitment to buy.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

leica posted:

I saw a Fisker Karma in the flesh today up close. It sounds incredibly strange, like a drat space ship or something, I couldn't wrap my head around it :psyduck:
There's a local guy who uses one as his daily driver, and it emits a constant humming noise like you would hear in an industrial power plant. The effect might be exaggerated since I always see the car in the same parking complex.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm lucky in that I think I have one of the only "honest" dealerships in my area. We worked out a ~2k discount on my Mazda 3. I was never put under pressure, all my questions were answered, their markup was shown to me directly and we began our negotiation from there. They are getting a LOT of business because of their no bullshit, no pressure approach. This dealer didn't even charge an "administration fee". They flat out said they were dumb and unnecessary.

Every other dealer either told me that I must compete with other customers and pay more for a car or refused to give me an offer unless I made a firm commitment to buy.

I had a really great experience with a BIG dealer about 50mi from me a few years ago. We were buying an '08 Focus and haggled 10% off their list price without really much hesitation or pressure. We were treated great and the salesman was a hoot. When I traded my Mazda6 this year I looked almost every day at their inventory, and they never had anything I wanted.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of dealers, anyone know how much you can get below the truecar.com pricing?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

PCOS Bill posted:

So you wanted a manual wagon/hatch type vehicle but ended up with a non-manual sedan.

The Volt's a hatchback.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The Volt's a hatchback.

Sure. But not the same way a Golf is.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Speaking of dealers, anyone know how much you can get below the truecar.com pricing?

Depends on the car entirely. But you can always beat it.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I've beat it several times. Truecar used to be great back before they had to change their model after dealerships filed their lawsuits.

Your best best is to scour forums for what people are actually paying for their cars. Most enthusiast sites have a thread where people can post their purchase price/photos/etc. I always do this before starting my email negotiations, as it lets me know what's really feasible out there. I buy a new car every 18 months or so, and always beat the lowest "negotiated" truecar price. I also tend to go for cars that are heavily discounted compared to their competition, though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Aeka 2.0 posted:

The 2014 rework is one of those reworks where I wish I could cherry pick what I like about that and mix it with what I like about my 2012 model. I definitely prefer my taillights but I love the flat bottom steering wheel in the new one. Also, show us a nice profile pic with the terrible turbo badge. Has the aftermarket found something better to do with that space yet?

I think it's pretty redundant to have a strip of of LED's right over the fog lights but drat if I don't wish mine had them. And I realize people make kits to put them in the older ones but that's too much trouble.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

davebo posted:

The 2014 rework is one of those reworks where I wish I could cherry pick what I like about that and mix it with what I like about my 2012 model. I definitely prefer my taillights but I love the flat bottom steering wheel in the new one. Also, show us a nice profile pic with the terrible turbo badge. Has the aftermarket found something better to do with that space yet?

I think it's pretty redundant to have a strip of of LED's right over the fog lights but drat if I don't wish mine had them. And I realize people make kits to put them in the older ones but that's too much trouble.

The non turbo fender "vent" fits in that spot if you dont want the turbo badge.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
What is the quality of Golf GTI's produced in Mexico later this year going to be like?

From reading online reviews of the Europe version, the new GTI seems like a step up from the outgoing model in NVH, and while maybe not as good as a BMW, is better than a Honda/Toyota w/respects material qualities, fit/finish, and NVH stuffs. Would we expect the Mexico produced versions to match the Europe produced GTI?

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

tijag posted:

What is the quality of Golf GTI's produced in Mexico later this year going to be like?

From reading online reviews of the Europe version, the new GTI seems like a step up from the outgoing model in NVH, and while maybe not as good as a BMW, is better than a Honda/Toyota w/respects material qualities, fit/finish, and NVH stuffs. Would we expect the Mexico produced versions to match the Europe produced GTI?

Yes. Have there ever been real differences between Mexico production and Euro production? It may be that the terrible NA VWs of the last few years are just a cheap, decontented design, since literally every other manufacturer has no problem producing cars in Mexico.

What are the decent hot hatch options? I drove a Mazda3 a week ago and it's making me reconsider the '15 mustang, other than the lackluster engine performance (compared to the 6 cylinder mustang).

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tijag posted:

They'll probably be fine. VWs hecho en Mexico have been on-par or better than the ones from Germany as far as reliability goes.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Excellent news. Thanks to both of you.

What about power output, the performance pack on the Euro spec one is 230 hp, right? But they are projecting 220hp with the PP here in the states? Is it because our gas is worse, or due to CARB, or is it just a different way of measuring power?

In the end the different probably isn't noticeable, and the bigger deal is the 250ish torques, but I'm just wondering what's happening here.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tijag posted:

Excellent news. Thanks to both of you.

What about power output, the performance pack on the Euro spec one is 230 hp, right? But they are projecting 220hp with the PP here in the states? Is it because our gas is worse, or due to CARB, or is it just a different way of measuring power?

In the end the different probably isn't noticeable, and the bigger deal is the 250ish torques, but I'm just wondering what's happening here.

For the Golf R they said hot weather and fuel quality were the reasons why it was down 6hp from the Euro model, so I imagine it's similar, and maybe some emissions equipment difference.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I think my favorite thing about a new car reveal is the flood of comments 'it looks like an X and a Y had a baby' 'looks like a Q got shrunk in the wash/inflated a bit too much' 'they completely ripped off W.' Guess what, mass market cars look very similar because creativity is either not aerodynamic or marketable enough.

New Cruze which definitely looks like a C-segment world car.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I think my favorite thing about a new car reveal is the flood of comments 'it looks like an X and a Y had a baby' 'looks like a Q got shrunk in the wash/inflated a bit too much' 'they completely ripped off W.' Guess what, mass market cars look very similar because creativity is either not aerodynamic or marketable enough.

New Cruze which definitely looks like a C-segment world car.

Jesus they have ripped off the front end design from the Focus. Sure it looks heaps better than the bland Korean look that the current model has, but still.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

You Am I posted:

Jesus they have ripped off the front end design from the Focus. Sure it looks heaps better than the bland Korean look that the current model has, but still.

See and I looked at that and said "Who put Chevy badges on an Optima?" I suppose that proves Ineptus' point.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

KakerMix posted:

See and I looked at that and said "Who put Chevy badges on an Optima?" I suppose that proves Ineptus' point.

Well in fairness someone did put Chevy badges on a Daewoo

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Last I saw Golf Rs coming to the United States are still going to be made in Germany because Golf Rs are literally the same car as the Audi S3, but with the hatch body. Which ALSO adds :tinfoil: to the idea that VW of America has a hard time with VWs being so close to Audis. I guess they have an issue with that which is why we don't get the hatch version of the A3/S3 Audis here. If you want an Audi S3 in a hatch form you're getting a Golf R.

And definitely not a Golf R Wagon probably.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

With unified crash standards a lock, likely by the end of 2014, and emissions standards being so close outside of california, expect to see a lot more of the european cars that never came before. Barring diesels, of course.

It should literally come down to a few stickers, and maybe an ecu tune. Any car that doesn't come over would simply be a sign of contempt for the marketplace.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

KakerMix posted:

And definitely not a Golf R Wagon probably.

Oh my lord, that would be the tits.

I would happily buy a Golf R Wagon as it's the only 4 door vehicle class I can tolerate in my life. The news of the Golf R only being 4 door in the US is what drove me to end up on a used BMW instead of a new VW.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Powershift posted:

With unified crash standards a lock, likely by the end of 2014, and emissions standards being so close outside of california, expect to see a lot more of the european cars that never came before. Barring diesels, of course.

It should literally come down to a few stickers, and maybe an ecu tune. Any car that doesn't come over would simply be a sign of contempt for the marketplace.

You mean like weird low volume stuff from existing manufacturers right? We're still not getting Renaults and Citroens and stuff because there's no dealership networks I'd assume, and cafe standards still keep wagons out :-(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I don't think there's been any indication of why we're not getting the A3/S3 hatch in the US beyond the fact that the previous A3 hatch sold like complete crap here. I don't recall the Golf R doing so hot when available before, either.