Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Also, FEMA camps. Don't any of these ideas ever die? Could I drop some particularly distinctive conspiracy beat in my wacko tract and hear about it 2-3 decades later in someone else's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Only if you really scratch the paranoid id.

Selling something helps, of course, like how you should buy our shampoo because Head & Shoulders is satanic.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

That dude prays every night before he goes to bed that the apocalypse will happen tomorrow.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That dude prays every night before he goes to bed that the apocalypse will happen tomorrow.

Of course not. If the apocalypse happened tomorrow, where would all the marks to sell things to go?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
What the hell are they thinking, the apocalypse happens and then everyone gets herded into FEMA camps to receive their mercy killing? Or the camps will be so overloaded due to poor planning that the camps won't have enough food for everyone?

Or are they just that opposed to receiving food from someone else that they didn't "earn".

I would probably call it luck if you could find a FEMA camp after any type of disaster.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Frank Bates runs a poo poo ton of utterly cheap ads on Ales Jones' airspace. They're always lowest common denominator.

"We know ONE WEIRD TRICK to lower your energy bill that THE GOVERNMENT and BIG ENERGY don't want you to know about."

"Thanks for being a loyal listener. Send us your address so we can send you a limited edition pack of heirloom tomato seeds. You'll need these seeds in a crisis where they will be worth more than firearms or gold. Send now because supplies are very limited." ~ad runs for two years~

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

VideoTapir posted:

quote:

They are dead wrong -- and you are dead right.

This is literally how cult leaders and svengalis talk.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
They're hoping the apocalypse happens tomorrow because it will wipe out all of the liberals and brown people who can't possibly have any survival skills, and this will leave the slate clean to re-begin a better, whiter America as Godly as it was when it was first established...without all the native heathens this time of course.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The mention of Greg Gutfeld a while back reminded me of Red Eye's response to Lena Dunham's "My First Time" ad and conservative "comedian" Steven Crowder's disgusting parody of it. The parody is especially upsetting to me because my first experience with it was when I watched my dad watching it. He loved it - laughed uproariously at it. When I called him out, he defended his enjoyment of the video and said that frivolous women should be mocked. Said it to me, his only daughter. :smith:

Anyway, misery loves company, so please watch it and be miserable, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSxDE1QCHA4

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I don't think they "got" the original ad, which is pretty much the first lesson they teach in parody school, or something.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Crowder still among the most punchable faces.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Wasn't Crowder the guy who wrote the article bragging about being a virgin until he got married?

E: hahaha yep. Filthy sexhavers rutted wantonly in college, but noble Steven stayed pure, you guys.

Swan Oat fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 30, 2014

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Not that there's anything wrong with saving yourself till after marriage, but that guy just comes off as a smug prick about it.

That and if the sex ends up being bad, and you don't know it till after, that can't be healthy for the marriage.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
It doesn't matter if the sex is bad because you should only have sex maybe 4 times your whole life.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Was channel surfing a little while ago and landed on Fox News to find them blaming Obama for "giving up control of the Internet", which is of course a complete lie because the USA has never controlled the Internet. What's being done is that the United States Department of Commerce announced its intent to transfer its coordinating role over the Internet's domain name system to a international body. Some talking head whined "I don't like the idea of the Russias and Chinas of the world having control of the Internet". Which this isn't. By taking this sort of responsibility out of the hands of the United States government and transferring it to the non-governmental body ICANN the Obama administration is heading off pressure for governments like Russia and China having more say in the process,

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/03/control-of-the-internet-104830.html#.UzhX8v1LxSU

There was also a little blurb about how Republicans were still adamant in investigating Benghazi! :jerkbag:

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Was channel surfing a little while ago and landed on Fox News to find them blaming Obama for "giving up control of the Internet", which is of course a complete lie because the USA has never controlled the Internet.

But of course net neutrality is government control of the internet, which is unacceptable.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ShortStack posted:

It doesn't matter if the sex is bad because you should only have sex maybe 4 times your whole life.

Looks like someone doesn't want to be fruitful and multiply!:devil:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Majorian posted:

Looks like someone doesn't want to be fruitful and multiply!:devil:

Come on, sex always leads to pregnancy, or disease. You might as well be playing Russian roulette.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pohl posted:

Come on, sex always leads to pregnancy, or disease. You might as well be playing Russian roulette.

Please tell me a Republican actually said this. It would make me so happy, since they wouldn't even understand Russian roulette.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pohl posted:

And my wife is a good Christian god fearing woman, and that is why she is staying with me even after all those rentboys I hosed the last 30 years.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Was channel surfing a little while ago and landed on Fox News to find them blaming Obama for "giving up control of the Internet", which is of course a complete lie because the USA has never controlled the Internet. What's being done is that the United States Department of Commerce announced its intent to transfer its coordinating role over the Internet's domain name system to a international body. Some talking head whined "I don't like the idea of the Russias and Chinas of the world having control of the Internet". Which this isn't. By taking this sort of responsibility out of the hands of the United States government and transferring it to the non-governmental body ICANN the Obama administration is heading off pressure for governments like Russia and China having more say in the process,

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/03/control-of-the-internet-104830.html#.UzhX8v1LxSU

There was also a little blurb about how Republicans were still adamant in investigating Benghazi! :jerkbag:

And if this had gone down during the Bush administration, these same pundits would have praised it as "privatization".

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Majorian posted:

Please tell me a Republican actually said this. It would make me so happy, since they wouldn't even understand Russian roulette.

Every so often, maybe every 5-10 years or so, there's a news story about some pastor who was trying to use a visual aid to impress upon young people that premarital sex is like Russian Roulette and teaching everybody else in the sanctuary that the paper bit of a blank can penetrate your skull just like a real bullet.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

Every so often, maybe every 5-10 years or so, there's a news story about some pastor who was trying to use a visual aid to impress upon young people that premarital sex is like Russian Roulette and teaching everybody else in the sanctuary that the paper bit of a blank can penetrate your skull just like a real bullet.

I actually think I remember something like this from my days in a right-wing fundamentalist church. Also a youth minister using the "Sure I believe in the Big Bang - God turned on the light switch and said 'bang'! Hurrrrr~" line.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Pththya-lyi posted:

The mention of Greg Gutfeld a while back reminded me of Red Eye's response to Lena Dunham's "My First Time" ad and conservative "comedian" Steven Crowder's disgusting parody of it. The parody is especially upsetting to me because my first experience with it was when I watched my dad watching it. He loved it - laughed uproariously at it. When I called him out, he defended his enjoyment of the video and said that frivolous women should be mocked. Said it to me, his only daughter. :smith:

I don't see how anyone could find that funny. The underlying hostility sabotages whatever crumbs of humor are there.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

beatlegs posted:

I don't see how anyone could find that funny. The underlying hostility sabotages whatever crumbs of humor are there.

You have to understand that conservatives in Hollywood are hosed over because they aren't liberal. You say that clip isn't funny, only because you have a political agenda or something. The fact that conservative media sucks is not because it sucks, but because the LIEberals are repressing it.

This of course ignores the fact that you could give people Crowder's poo poo for free, and they would still pay to watch real entertainment instead. The bias is so loving entrenched that people can't even begin to understand why Crowder is brilliant, I guess.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

beatlegs posted:

Conservative humor is hostility. Bear-baiting was conservative humor.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
I explained conservative humor as the difference between who laughs at the following scenarios.

1) A wealthy man sharply dressed in a tuxedo is walking along the sidewalk when a car splashes mud all over him, soiling his clean, black suit.

2) A homeless man dressed in dirty clothes with unkempt hair and a scraggly beard is walking along the sidewalk when a car splashes mud all over him, covering him with filth.

The first (in various forms) is a staple of slapstick movies. The latter is just sad, a person who is already suffering experiencing even greater suffering.

Who laughs at #2?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

I have some new neighbors that I partied with last night. They are both 23 and they are loving ignorant as hell. They have strong opinions, but they have no education or knowledge to make their opinions mean anything.
-I explained the progressive tax system. They were blown away by the idea of how it worked, and now they don't hate taxes as much or something. This happened after I was repeatedly told that higher taxes gently caress over high income earners. We then discussed how poor they were, and why taxes were beneficial to them.

In fact they are I think, Libertarians. They invited me over and fed me some really good food, then we got more beer, and they showed me their bong collection. I just partied most of the night, but I can't not drink and not be an rear end in a top hat. More than once I got completely loving overwhelmed by the racism and bullshit they were spouting.

Oh, the guy has a concealed carry permit. We had a pretty long talk about how he wants to shoot people. I could tell that I was making him uncomfortable, because I wasn't calling him a sick bastard, I was asking him questions that he simply didn't want to answer. He did tell me again and again, how he is ready and happy to shoot someone, however.

They gave me pot and beer and they love me, which cracks me up because I'm a loving Sociologist. Nobody likes us. I was having a hard time deciding whether I should hang out with them again, when I realized that I like free drugs. They also let me talk, a lot. And they seem to be fascinated by what I have to say. I don't think that they have ever in their lives been exposed to a crazy leftist like me. That is when I realized that this could be interesting.

Edit: holy poo poo this sounds like a Hustler or Playboy write in story. Haha.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 30, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pththya-lyi posted:

Here you go, to cheer you up

http://gawker.com/5991450/the-union...-prosecuted/all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tIF70HsfpAg

Show your dad this

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Walter posted:

I explained conservative humor as the difference between who laughs at the following scenarios.

1) A wealthy man sharply dressed in a tuxedo is walking along the sidewalk when a car splashes mud all over him, soiling his clean, black suit.

2) A homeless man dressed in dirty clothes with unkempt hair and a scraggly beard is walking along the sidewalk when a car splashes mud all over him, covering him with filth.

The first (in various forms) is a staple of slapstick movies. The latter is just sad, a person who is already suffering experiencing even greater suffering.

Who laughs at #2?

If #2 happened to Jeff Lebowski I could laugh at it.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Walter posted:

Who laughs at #2?

Charles Chaplin

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

swampland posted:

Charles Chaplin

The difference between Charlie Chaplain and "Conservative Humor" is that Chaplain plays the fool but always manages to come out ahead.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
A comedian suffering is funny. Regular people suffering is not.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
You might also distinguish between conservative humor and humor by conservatives.

There are funny conservatives, and some probably use politics in funny jokes, but they don't make the politics the entire joke. Think about Louis CK's "being white" bit. It actually makes an important point, but the politics isn't the reason it's funny. It's funny because it's actually a loving funny joke. If a conservative could make a joke that uses their politics and is still funny, that's great. Start with the funny, then do the politics, if it works. That'd be humor by a conservative that's genuinely funny. The problem is that instead of focusing on being funny and using themes like politics in their jokes, they decide to not only make politics more important than a joke, but focus on the nastier parts of their politics. They start with the politics and only later try and shoehorn the comedy in. The Daily Show is great because it's funny, not because Jon Stewart is liberal. If he or his writers weren't funny nobody would care. The problem is that it's so much easier to poke fun at the powerful than the weak.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

computer parts posted:

If #2 happened to Jeff Lebowski I could laugh at it.

Lebowski wasn't homeless. :ssh:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Lebowski wasn't homeless. :ssh:

3/4, close enough.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Conservatives don't laugh at the idea of poor people suffering. They laugh from the belief that mean-spirited humor pisses liberals off because it's edgy, rock and roll, and "politically incorrect".

Punching down isn't about the target of their punching, it's about the perceived effect it has on those they perceive as reacting with outrage. Liberals have a monopoly on "cool" (as Greg Gutfield has theorized) and pissing them off with mean jokes is a way of taking back some of the "coolness" conservatives feel entitled to. They lost the culture war years ago yet they delusionally continue to twist themselves into pretzels trying to outwit the enemy. That's why I can't stomach shows like "The Five" because it's just a group of delusional idiots sitting around smugly high-fiving each other about how progressivism has always been a massive failure.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

beatlegs posted:

Conservatives don't laugh at the idea of poor people suffering. They laugh from the belief that mean-spirited humor pisses liberals off because it's edgy, rock and roll, and "politically incorrect".

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

beatlegs posted:

Punching down isn't about the target of their punching, it's about the perceived effect it has on those they perceive as reacting with outrage. Liberals have a monopoly on "cool" (as Greg Gutfield has theorized) and pissing them off with mean jokes is a way of taking back some of the "coolness" conservatives feel entitled to. They lost the culture war years ago yet they delusionally continue to twist themselves into pretzels trying to outwit the enemy. That's why I can't stomach shows like "The Five" because it's just a group of delusional idiots sitting around smugly high-fiving each other about how progressivism has always been a massive failure.

The other side of it is that one of the central tenets of conservatism is that some people are inherently better than others and the better people have a right to exploit those worse than they are. This includes, of course, kicking people that are already down. One of the reasons that conservative humor isn't funny is because part of the message is "lol these people suck, you should kick them while they're down, it's funny when you do that."

Except that it isn't. Tormenting people weaker than you deliberately for no other reason than "because I can" isn't humorous unless you're a massive jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The other side of it is that one of the central tenets of conservatism is that some people are inherently better than others and the better people have a right to exploit those worse than they are. This includes, of course, kicking people that are already down. One of the reasons that conservative humor isn't funny is because part of the message is "lol these people suck, you should kick them while they're down, it's funny when you do that."

Except that it isn't. Tormenting people weaker than you deliberately for no other reason than "because I can" isn't humorous unless you're a massive jerk.

Yeah, there are probably two kinds of conservatives that use mean humor. Group 1 is the one you're describing; genuinely terrible people with sociopathic tendencies. Group 2 are conservatives who talk a big game, make mean jokes to piss people off, but deep down are basically nice, normal people who should know better but have a weird disconnect and feel driven to put up a front (no retreat, no surrender). Even though they might be nice personally, their behavior is lovely and destructive and has a poisonous effect on the culture.