Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

How long does the "dishonorable" opinion modifier last for? And how long "murdered close kin"? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

Any recommendations for a good duke start in 867?

The comedy option is the Azdid emirate, right at the east-southeast tip of the Arabian peninsula.

The joke is that the ruler's an Ibadi (Sunni heretic). Build your own Muslim faith from scratch! :black101: Take Mecca and Medina and go on Hajj down the corner from your palace.

Good results not guaranteed post NK mode-nerf, because NK mode definitely helped me until I could form the kingdom of Arabia.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

double nine posted:

How long does the "dishonorable" opinion modifier last for? And how long "murdered close kin"? :ohdear:

Dishonorable is a few years a believe and murdered close kin is permanent if I remember rightly

Edit: Scratch that last part I was thinking of the kinslayer trait.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Can anyone tell me how to modify the new "You can no longer usurp the sole primary title off of someone with a different religion if he has any holdings within it" rule back to what it was? It's... pretty goofy and clunky.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

radlum posted:

Are there any good Workshop mods? I'm used to the usual CK2 mods and I just realized it is compatible with the Workshop but I've no idea if there's anything worth it.

The Bloodlines mod is pretty neat, but I had to download it manually because I can't get the bloody workshop to work. :sigh:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Oh man. I just found out that if your patron deity is Kali, you hold a Kali Puja feast instead of a Diwali feast. The descriptions are different, and, most differently of all, you can choose to sacrifice a prisoner or a courtier.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Finally off to a good start as ivar . got around gavel kind by landing each of my sons 2 counties. Of course they all died and I'm still kickin out babies at 72. Most of Scotland is mine and Ireland. I also own one of the holy sites. Funny story I had a son with a concubine and right after she gave birth she plotted to kill me! She even had the content trait. Well I failed to arrest her and she ran off leaving her son behind. Well he's now got three counties in Ireland and is set up to be my heir. Great job!
Now he's not a great heir and I have an older bastard son I would rather be my heir. I acknowledged him as my son when he was born but he's not my heir. Is their a way to legitimize him?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Removing ambitious and diligent events from the grand hunt was outright retarded. They could have at least made them more rare. They were pretty common.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Pakled posted:

Oh man. I just found out that if your patron deity is Kali, you hold a Kali Puja feast instead of a Diwali feast. The descriptions are different, and, most differently of all, you can choose to sacrifice a prisoner or a courtier.

Please tell me that one of the dialogue pop ups is Kali ma shakti de.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

Eimi posted:

Please tell me that one of the dialogue pop ups is Kali ma shakti de.

Better yet...

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

I made a Grand Mayor, and he gives me a vassal inheritance warning, should I worry and can I do anything about it?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I didn't have The Old Gods before this latest sale; how do I get vikings to stop raiding me/ wipe them off of the map? :argh:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Conquer all Norse provinces.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Or move to India.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Sistergodiva posted:

I made a Grand Mayor, and he gives me a vassal inheritance warning, should I worry and can I do anything about it?

Not usually, I'd check to see if the heir doesn't have a different liege, but otherwise it's nothing to worry about. If it's a merchant republic they'll usually go through a bunch of different families since the AI isn't great at keeping themselves in power a lot of the time.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Koramei posted:

I didn't have The Old Gods before this latest sale; how do I get vikings to stop raiding me/ wipe them off of the map? :argh:

Send your court chaplain to the capital of any large Norse realms. More likely than not, your court chaplain will end up imprisoned by the heathens, but over time you'll eventually succeed in converting them.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Nightblade posted:

Or move to India.

Didn't someone recently post a picture of a Norse adventurer who had conquered the Sinai peninsula? They get ridiculous amounts of event troops (~30,000 at least for the year 900) and can be pretty aggressive, I wouldn't feel safe anywhere.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So I had a go at implementing Protestantism (basically using Orthodox mechanics) in the postapoc America thing and now I'm wondering how much of America should be Catholic. A Canticle For Leibowitz had the Pope in St. Louis and that's sort of a guide for what's going on, which means that Catholicism's a bit more widespread than before, but it's kind of a tossup between making everything east of the Mississippi clear of Catholicism or just making a lot of it dominated by non-Catholics. The latter option might make the eastern US too cluttered in terms of religions and lead to a clusterfuck in terms of early gameplay, dunno.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ofaloaf posted:

So I had a go at implementing Protestantism (basically using Orthodox mechanics) in the postapoc America thing and now I'm wondering how much of America should be Catholic. A Canticle For Leibowitz had the Pope in St. Louis and that's sort of a guide for what's going on, which means that Catholicism's a bit more widespread than before, but it's kind of a tossup between making everything east of the Mississippi clear of Catholicism or just making a lot of it dominated by non-Catholics. The latter option might make the eastern US too cluttered in terms of religions and lead to a clusterfuck in terms of early gameplay, dunno.

You might find this useful:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/blackwhiteandgray/2012/04/map-of-us-religious-affiliation-by-county/

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Ray and Shirley posted:

So I'm a big whiny baby who gets upset every time the king of France forms the kingdom of Aquitaine when I'm playing from a 1066 start. How do I add the creation condition to Aquitaine that leaves it so only Occitan cultures can create it?

Sorry to be a pest. Anyone know how I can do this?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Ray and Shirley posted:

Sorry to be a pest. Anyone know how I can do this?

code:
allow = { culture = occitan }
in the k_aquitaine entry in landed_titles ought to do it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Odobenidae posted:

Didn't someone recently post a picture of a Norse adventurer who had conquered the Sinai peninsula? They get ridiculous amounts of event troops (~30,000 at least for the year 900) and can be pretty aggressive, I wouldn't feel safe anywhere.

That was a player who did that. Players are OP. :v: I haven't seen any AI Norse making it to India yet.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Ofaloaf posted:

code:
allow = { culture = occitan }
in the k_aquitaine entry in landed_titles ought to do it.

Bingo, thank you! Next dumb question:

Let's say I want to make this changed file a mod so I can just it on/off when I want to play Ironman. How would I go about doing that?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ray and Shirley posted:

Bingo, thank you! Next dumb question:

Let's say I want to make this changed file a mod so I can just it on/off when I want to play Ironman. How would I go about doing that?

Create a folder with a name like "Mymod" or something, and put it in your My Documents/Crusader Kings II/mods/ folder. Put your modded file in "MyMod/common/landed titles". Then create a text file called "MyMod" and save it as "MyMod.mod". In the file, put at least the following:

code:
name = "My Mod"
path = "mod/MyMod"
user_dir = "MyMod"
Since you're changing landed_titles.txt, put in:

code:
replace_path = "common/landed_titles"

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Captain Novolin posted:

Not usually, I'd check to see if the heir doesn't have a different liege, but otherwise it's nothing to worry about. If it's a merchant republic they'll usually go through a bunch of different families since the AI isn't great at keeping themselves in power a lot of the time.

Ah, thanks. I just made it so I guess they should be my vassals.

drat, the two kingdoms who own the two mainland norse holy sites are loving stable. Is there any good way to make them rebel? They have had godlike leaders with almost only positive traits, but now germany at least seems to break down, but I need to fabricate a claim or conquer my way there to get to the site. I really hope Lothringen breaks down soon so I can just take Zeeland by conquest and reform.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Sistergodiva posted:

Ah, thanks. I just made it so I guess they should be my vassals.

drat, the two kingdoms who own the two mainland norse holy sites are loving stable. Is there any good way to make them rebel? They have had godlike leaders with almost only positive traits, but now germany at least seems to break down, but I need to fabricate a claim or conquer my way there to get to the site. I really hope Lothringen breaks down soon so I can just take Zeeland by conquest and reform.

I find stabbing is a sure cure for stability.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Koramei posted:

Generally I find in the early game the forces they send are pretty tiny so most of the time a single retinue unit and a few levy are enough to fight them off. That is the short term solution. Long term, as everyone else mentioned, convert them, wipe them out or move somewhere else.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

DrSunshine posted:

Create a folder with a name like "Mymod" or something, and put it in your My Documents/Crusader Kings II/mods/ folder. Put your modded file in "MyMod/common/landed titles". Then create a text file called "MyMod" and save it as "MyMod.mod". In the file, put at least the following:

code:
name = "My Mod"
path = "mod/MyMod"
user_dir = "MyMod"
Since you're changing landed_titles.txt, put in:

code:
replace_path = "common/landed_titles"

Thank you! Everything is set and it runs as though it's a mod, but it's not functioning. The changed file does function when I outright replace the vanilla landed_titles folder, but not when I'm using my "mod." So you're aware I've chosen to use the name "Aquitaine" for this mod.

Here are the steps I followed:

I've placed both the new "landed_titles" file and the file Aquitaine.mod in the following directory:

\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod

My .mod file includes only the following:

code:
name = "Aquitaine"
path = "mod/Aquitaine"
user_dir = "Aquitaine"
replace_path = "common/landed_titles.txt"
I noticed that if I don't put .txt at the end of landed_titles then no titles are active whatsoever. Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong?

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Cantorsdust posted:

I find stabbing is a sure cure for stability.

I just realized that stabbing is awesome, since I've been playing a lot of ck2+ where it's a more permanent penalty for getting caught.

Should I plot against them? Or just throw money at it? Plotting seems to have a very small %, but maybe I just need to befriend the right people?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Pakled posted:

That was a player who did that. Players are OP. :v: I haven't seen any AI Norse making it to India yet.

A player went to India, but I really did see a Norse adventurer take a bite out of the Sinai. He appears to be gone now which is too bad.

Converting the Norse may work eventually but it is a huge pain and you go through a lot of Court Chaplains. Actually it's a good way to get rid of someone, since they'll end up in jail and a blot. It's probably easier just to wait until your retinues are of a decent size (and gotten rid of the pagan homeland penalty) and there's a lull in the action. Most of the counties are crap so I end up giving out entire Duchies to one person. If you set it up right, in a few years your Dukes will be holy warring for the rest of the peninsula and presto, no more Viking raids.

Unrelated/side note of having a dual Emperor title: my Cathar Albion Empress managed to inherit the Byzantine (now Roman) Empire title as well due to mom's strategic royal marriage and a lot of :ese:, and the game doesn't know what to do. My primary title is Alba but the only honorary titles I can give out are Roman, I have the Imperial Reconquest CB, but can't revoke a Ducal title for free which I thought they could do. Also being able to change CA shows up under the Roman Empire but all the other imperial laws show up under Alba.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Ray and Shirley posted:

I've placed both the new "landed_titles" file and the file Aquitaine.mod in the following directory:

\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod

The landed_titles.txt file should go in \Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\Aquitaine\common\landed_titles

Right now it's looking for an "Aquitaine" folder and replacing the path with one that doesn't exist which would be why you weren't getting any titles at all
(And then adding .txt where you did tells it to replace a path that didn't exist in the first place with one that still doesn't exist causing things to go back to normal)

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 31, 2014

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

TheBlackRoija posted:

The landed_titles.txt file should go in \Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\Aquitaine\common\landed_titles

Right now it's looking for an "Aquitaine" folder and replacing the path with one that doesn't exist which would be why you weren't getting any titles at all
(And then adding .txt where you did tells it to replace a path that didn't exist in the first place with one that still doesn't exist causing things to go back to normal)

That's it, thank you!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

monster on a stick posted:

A player went to India, but I really did see a Norse adventurer take a bite out of the Sinai. He appears to be gone now which is too bad.

Converting the Norse may work eventually but it is a huge pain and you go through a lot of Court Chaplains. Actually it's a good way to get rid of someone, since they'll end up in jail and a blot. It's probably easier just to wait until your retinues are of a decent size (and gotten rid of the pagan homeland penalty) and there's a lull in the action. Most of the counties are crap so I end up giving out entire Duchies to one person. If you set it up right, in a few years your Dukes will be holy warring for the rest of the peninsula and presto, no more Viking raids.

Yeah I tried to send a dude to each of the major norse powers and quickly lost half a dozen of my best religious advisers. :sweatdrop: And Holy Warring relies on near borders doesn't it? I'm the Byzantine Empire so that might take some doing. First time I've had a wish for sea combat though in this game though; I have most of the Mediterranean wholly under my control, but the stupid vikings can sail all the way to Constantinople and there's nothing I can do about it. And they're faster than me so it seems impossible to catch them with retinues.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Is there something fucky going on with succession law in the latest patch? Seems like people are switching to primogeniture far to early and easily.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Pakled posted:

Send your court chaplain to the capital of any large Norse realms. More likely than not, your court chaplain will end up imprisoned by the heathens, but over time you'll eventually succeed in converting them.

But that just makes it harder to kill every last loving Norseman on earth. And at that point, what else is there to live for?

As soon as I get 3-4k skirmishers and a claim on some idiot norse count I start my campaign to set the entirety of Scandinavia on fire (it's super easy to assault down their holdings).

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Koramei posted:

Yeah I tried to send a dude to each of the major norse powers and quickly lost half a dozen of my best religious advisers. :sweatdrop: And Holy Warring relies on near borders doesn't it? I'm the Byzantine Empire so that might take some doing. First time I've had a wish for sea combat though in this game though; I have most of the Mediterranean wholly under my control, but the stupid vikings can sail all the way to Constantinople and there's nothing I can do about it. And they're faster than me so it seems impossible to catch them with retinues.

Yeah, never send your good religious advisers to convert. Send the middle of the pack, the ones you don't mind losing.

If you are the Byzantines, my strategy was to start holy warring at the Crimea and working your way north, if you are lucky you'll eventually end up at the Baltic and then you can go to town on the Norse.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
This game is hard and I am bad at it. I just spent 5 hours as the Petty King of Wales, fresh start, in Old Gods, trying and failing to claim the South of Wales. It really didn't work out for me. None of my allies did jack poo poo when I needed them unless they were Aquatine, but they came into the war five years too late to really help.

Am I better off trying to claim Cornwall and Devon instead of Dyfed, Gwent and Glamorgan? Also, I am no history buff, but why is Cornwall and Devon considered to be in Wales? Because it isn't.

I had a really good Petty King going, he had so many combat modifiers on him after the drawn out war that he could easily tackle up to three times his number in a battle. In two battles he earned four martial bonuses. Shame they were bringing in allies (who did poo poo, unlike mine) and making up something closer to eight times my number.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ray and Shirley posted:

Is there something fucky going on with succession law in the latest patch? Seems like people are switching to primogeniture far to early and easily.

On the whole, this patch/expansion seems to have added a fairly unplayable India (due to mass revolts and various bugs) and added various restrictions to mechanics for other characters that a lot of players seem pretty unhappy with. Paradox has generally done an excellent job with CK2, but the RoI launch has me disappointed and reminds me a lot of many of their past notoriety for bugginess.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Pellisworth posted:

On the whole, this patch/expansion seems to have added a fairly unplayable India (due to mass revolts and various bugs) and added various restrictions to mechanics for other characters that a lot of players seem pretty unhappy with. Paradox has generally done an excellent job with CK2, but the RoI launch has me disappointed and reminds me a lot of many of their past notoriety for bugginess.

In retrospect, adding an entire subcontinent all at once might have been a tad too much for one expansion. Though, in fairness, there aren't that many bugs, just a couple of really killer ones, so far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Jinnigan posted:

Can anyone tell me how to modify the new "You can no longer usurp the sole primary title off of someone with a different religion if he has any holdings within it" rule back to what it was? It's... pretty goofy and clunky.

I'd like to know this as well. Poked around a little bit and didn't find anything, is it hard coded?

• Locked thread