Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Blistex posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a SS counter top outside of a restaurant or community centre kitchen. Got any pics?

It is very thin gauge steel and it has virtually no seams. The counter itself is about 6" shorter than average which suits my wife perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Nitrox posted:

What brand is it? If it's acrylic then it will stain from anything acidic including coffee. The repair and refinish are usually way above the level of an average DIY person. But if you can handle it, then power to you.

I too put (actual name brand) Corian in my kitchen, white Corian in fact. It's been 4 years and held up fine. We have yet to find anything that actually leaves a stain in it. Coffee, tomato sauce, wine has all washed off fine even after sitting for a few days. There have been a few times its taken a little more to clean it, but Mr Clean Magic Erasers have worked effortlessly for those times.

Its certainly not some miracle material, its got its pros and cons, but for us, staining has not been even a slight issue.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

emocrat posted:

I too put (actual name brand) Corian in my kitchen, white Corian in fact. It's been 4 years and held up fine. We have yet to find anything that actually leaves a stain in it. Coffee, tomato sauce, wine has all washed off fine even after sitting for a few days. There have been a few times its taken a little more to clean it, but Mr Clean Magic Erasers have worked effortlessly for those times.

Its certainly not some miracle material, its got its pros and cons, but for us, staining has not been even a slight issue.

Mr Clean Magic Erasers are pretty clever. They're made of reticulated melamine foam, so they're basically a matrix of hard melamine fibers that act as both the abrasive and the carrier. Like 3D sand paper!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

It is very thin gauge steel and it has virtually no seams. The counter itself is about 6" shorter than average which suits my wife perfectly.

I love ss counter tops. Those are gorgeous.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Rurutia posted:

I love ss counter tops. Those are gorgeous.

They're the final solution in clean kitchens.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Slanderer posted:

Mr Clean Magic Erasers are pretty clever. They're made of reticulated melamine foam, so they're basically a matrix of hard melamine fibers that act as both the abrasive and the carrier. Like 3D sand paper!

And that's why I don't recommend them on painted surfaces. It will take the paint off while taking the stain off, or sometimes just the paint while leaving the stain.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I viewed a house that was vacant - the only thing in the kitchen aside from the appliances was a cutting board in the middle of the countertop with a sticky note:

"Cutting Board Conveys - Counter is Marred"

Sure enough, it was covering up a big circular scorch mark in the laminate. Very professional sticky note.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

kid sinister posted:

And that's why I don't recommend them on painted surfaces. It will take the paint off while taking the stain off, or sometimes just the paint while leaving the stain.

I've used them on painted surfaces before, and now I have shiny patches on otherwise flat paint.

Stupid ultra-fine sanding.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Dragyn posted:

I've used them on painted surfaces before, and now I have shiny patches on otherwise flat paint.

Stupid ultra-fine sanding.

Matte paint did a good job of hiding the lovely patches all over this house. Too bad matte paint gets dirty the first time anything touches it. Has washable matte paint been invented yet?

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

I just want to say I love those wreaths and your picture is making me consider doing something along those lines in my kitchen. So my husband hates you, but THANK YOU, internet person!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

It seems like they would be kind of noisy. Do you find that setting plates/pans/silverware/whatever on the counter makes too much noise, or is it ok?

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
The deck in the house we recently bought has three 'levels', the lowest two of which are resting directly on the dirt below. No concrete footings or anything like that, just sitting on the ground. I stepped on a section which collapsed and a plank rolled away nail side up, which I nearly stepped on getting my balance.

Who the gently caress puts the joists or whatever directly onto dirt? Not only that but the area smells pretty bad, I am thinking there is all kinds of disgusting poo poo growing under there. They also recently replaced bad planks (or patched holes), but from what we can see there is no indication that its pressure treated.

I can't wait to get this out of the yard and put down a brick patio instead.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Post some pics.

I hope for your sake it isn't attached to the house and causing rot/damage issues to the frame where it's attached.

Guess how I learned all about rot and damage caused by half assed porch/porch roof construction?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

I just want to say I love those wreaths and your picture is making me consider doing something along those lines in my kitchen. So my husband hates you, but THANK YOU, internet person!

You're welcome I guess.

Those are up as Christmas decorations, but you could easily have them up whenever.

Pham Nuwen posted:

It seems like they would be kind of noisy. Do you find that setting plates/pans/silverware/whatever on the counter makes too much noise, or is it ok?

There aren't any sound issues, if anything I have found stone counter tops to be far nosier.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Eh the pics aren't really all that that interesting so here is just the one of where it broke. The stair section of it shifted to the side as the joists fell over, and the plank which was attached on the edge is what I nearly stepped on.. though in retrospect I was a good foot away from the nails.

House is concrete block construction, so I don't see how it would be spreading, but I guess I also don't know how its attached.

Probably in 2 or 3 weekends once we finish with the inside I will tear it out and start on putting down old style bricks. I am also not sure what that metal pipe in the photo is, so that may turn out to be a pain in the rear end too.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Kastein I've seen some of your thread fixing your house and impressed by your attitude of just getting in there and doing the work.

We found a problem which was missed in the home inspection (guy had put furniture in front of it) of old water damage. The walls have been repaired but I think the floor joist right by the wall has been damaged as the floor flexes maybe a half inch or so in a ~1 foot long section of the wall. I am hesitant to open it up in case what I find there is more than I can chew. Asking a friend who has done some significant work on his place to see if he can help me with it. That may have some more interesting photos when it happens.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You might as well jump in now, rot stops for no man. If you don't do something about it it will only get worse.

That much flexing is a bad sign, though.

As for the attitude... gotta do what you gotta do. That's about all there is to it.

Oh, that pipe could be either random poo poo just lying on the ground, or a water pipe (probably not), or a conduit for electrical wiring. Find out which it is before doing anything to it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

kastein posted:

As for the attitude... gotta do what you gotta do. That's about all there is to it.

It sure as poo poo won't fix itself.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Blistex posted:

They're the final solution in clean kitchens.

They should last a thousand years, too.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

It sure as poo poo won't fix itself.

Really? I was hoping it would. I don't want to open up that wall/floor until I have a clear day or two to work on it. Hopefully this weekend though if aforementioned friend has time.

That pipe may be electric to the spa that sits in that direction, but it must be partly buried. Will have to track it down. If that's all it is I'll be glad as we want to relocate that spa as it is.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

spog posted:

They should last a thousand years, too.

Mein Kounter

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GanjamonII posted:

Really? I was hoping it would.

I know I've tried that approach. :/

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

emocrat posted:

Magic Erasers are a really cool idea.

My sour opinion of acrylic counter tops was formed back in 2008-9, when I worked as a fabricator for a large kitchen company, it was my job to make house calls and do warranty repairs. While most damage I saw was caused by negligence (scolding cast iron pots, lit cigarettes, heavy gauges), some issues were obviously manufacturing defects. For example, Corian tops would go from bright white to off white, but only if they were made within a specific time period. However, the most common request was to refinish a perfectly fine counter top, that would over time, develop obviously directional scratches in areas of heavy traffic. My best memory of that job was making a checker board in our spare time, similar to [url=http://www.countertoprepairshop.com/DSCF0046_op_800x600.jpg]this one[/img]. And rolling all leftover adhesive into a ball, up until it got up to 12-15 lbs, a perfect bowling ball, just add holes :)

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Bad Munki posted:

I know I've tried that approach. :/

Same here. And I've had a non-zero success rate! So I always make sure to give it a go first.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well sure, eventually whatever is rattling will rattle itself away. The problem is what else goes with it. :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I also try that method first every time. Usually I give it a go halfway through, too, just to see if the job will finish itself once I've gotten it started.

No luck yet.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

kastein posted:

I also try that method first every time. Usually I give it a go halfway through, too, just to see if the job will finish itself once I've gotten it started.

No luck yet.

I'm thinking maybe it's a long con. I've got some 80% projects that have been sitting for YEARS, a couple as much as a decade. I'll post a trip report as soon as something happens.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I figure in another thirty or forty million years, a combination of erosion, biological action, and plate tectonics will ensure that my house's collection of deferred maintenance projects will be entirely resolved through the reduction of every last bit of it into its component molecules.

So it's just a matter of waiting them out. You have to be patient.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Partial crosspost from "bad with money" thread in BFC.

A family member bought a foreclosure 3 years ago in a major municipal area in a western state that got hit hard by the housing crash. This house is a 1500sq ft 5br/2ba built in the 80's, in a run-down neighborhood about a mile from downtown and two miles from the university. It backs up almost against a major cross-country interstate, and you can hear traffic all day. They bought it for super cheap, about $60k, and got all kinds of great incentives from the state and government for first time homebuyers contingent on living there for 5 years. The plan is to live there for a few years, do some "fixer-upper" activities, and then sell it or rent it to college students.

The trouble is, the neighborhood is *really* bad. As in, if you look at one of the crime maps for a quarter mile radius, you get more than 300 police reports for a 14 day period. Including some homicides and sex crimes :stare: Many of the neighbors have 8 foot fences, large dogs, or both. Even their realtor begged them not to buy it.

So they bought it, and started renovations.
To be completely fair, the renovations they did were very well executed. But almost all were poorly conceived ideas, especially on a house they plan to sell or rent out in a few years.

- The carpet and linoleum was torn out of the kitchen, living room, and hallway and the bare concrete was painted gray. If that's what you like, I guess.
- One of the bedrooms had its walls demolished to extend the living room. Removing a bedroom almost never adds value to a home for the next occupant, especially if they are thinking of renting to college students.
- They also demolished one of the two bathrooms to extend one of the bedrooms. So now they have a four bedroom home with a single 3/4 bathroom. And to get to the only bathroom you have to go through the master bedroom.
- They had a lot of tools and building materials including aluminum siding stolen off of their porch by their neighbor's drug addict grandson who just got out of prison. Also ran out of money for materials, and ended up having to postpone a lot of their renovations after having done a lot of demolition.

Now they're considering rebuilding the demolished bathroom. Buying a new toilet/tub/sink after throwing away perfectly good ones is not cheap.

The biggest problem is that even if you remodeled the home to look like a Dubai luxury hotel, it's still in a really scary neighborhood and you'll never get your money back for it :smith:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
:psyduck: It's like they made a list of all the things one should never do when trying to make money in the real estate market and did them.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
http://imgur.com/a/jnlOR

Previews:

"Then I modify the structure of the roof, the yellow beams are new, the old beams are more brownish. "

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ahhh, yes....the Frenchman on Reddit in DIY.

The whole thing is well executed, but the engineering is sketchy. Especially when he discloses that he has a masonry roof.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If he added a horizontal member between the tops of the new slanted beams he's adding, I think it would be nearly as strong as before, if not equal or stronger. The way he has it now, though... is somewhat concerning.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"I'm in the engeenering and consulting business, mostly for heating and cooling system" which clearly that means you don't need to bother with permits when fundamentally altering the load-bearing arrangement of your roof trusses :downs:

My free-body diagramming skills are a touch rusty but it looks like when the new members he put in give way by ripping the bars out of the top or bottom chords (because they are under tension in that part of the truss design) it is just going to apply a massive lateral load to the walls, likely blowing them out and dumping the entire roof right onto the flattened remains of the house and anyone in it.

And then he went and put a weight bench up there!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Watch your head.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

That room does look kind of loving cool though.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Arrath posted:

Those heat sensitive tiles in the shower look pretty drat cool. If I had nothing better to spend the money on, I'd get my shower tiled up with them :shobon:

So '90s though.

I'm all about using the space between studs on interior walls -- my parents' house has little magazine pockets in the bathroom walls next to the toilets, which is loving genius. But last I checked, a wall is like five inches thick. Where the gently caress are those drawers going?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That drawer looks about five inches deep, actually.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Delivery McGee posted:

So '90s though.

I'm all about using the space between studs on interior walls -- my parents' house has little magazine pockets in the bathroom walls next to the toilets, which is loving genius. But last I checked, a wall is like five inches thick. Where the gently caress are those drawers going?
Probably borrowed a few inches from a closet on the other side of the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK
I've been trying to find a house to buy recently, but its tough finding one that is not completely insane. Recently viewed a house where the kitchen sink drain goes directly outside the house and the PVC drain line runs(albeit properly sloped) on the outside of the vinyl siding until it goes into the basement wall and into the sewer drain. This is in Virginia, where we recently saw weeks of temperatures not over freezing.

Did a little research and figured out that the kitchen used to be a screen porch and was converted without a permit.
You can see the drain on the left side of the house.