Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Koramei posted:

Yeah I tried to send a dude to each of the major norse powers and quickly lost half a dozen of my best religious advisers. :sweatdrop: And Holy Warring relies on near borders doesn't it? I'm the Byzantine Empire so that might take some doing. First time I've had a wish for sea combat though in this game though; I have most of the Mediterranean wholly under my control, but the stupid vikings can sail all the way to Constantinople and there's nothing I can do about it. And they're faster than me so it seems impossible to catch them with retinues.

Wait until you see a Norse ruler with the cynical trait. They're more likely to convert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hey I was wondering people with modding skill, is there any way to mod portraits? I want to play around with what hats people wear, but cannot really find out how to do so.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Autonomous Monster posted:

In retrospect, adding an entire subcontinent all at once might have been a tad too much for one expansion. Though, in fairness, there aren't that many bugs, just a couple of really killer ones, so far as I can tell.

That's true, and it's also part of my particular annoyance. If Paradox had done any play-testing in India for a few decades, they'd have noticed the handful of glaring bugs. It's really, truly, unfun to play in India (especially as a Jain or Buddhist) particularly due to the constant revolts. If this is working intentionally, it's very opaque (you have to read the event scripts in the game files), incredibly punishing, and likely bugged. Why is the focal point of the expansion (India) the shakiest? CK2 to this point has been very well-done and as far as I remember well-tested upon expansion releases. I've spent the last couple months mostly playing EU4 and frankly I'm disappointed coming back to this CK2 DLC.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 31, 2014

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

I'd like it if Paradox added a "Your Decadence is high!" tab that comes down if you reach 60 or 80 percent decadence. There's been times when I've been doing something else, had a look at my decadence and freaked the gently caress out when it was verging on reaching 90 percent.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Charlz Guybon posted:

Wait until you see a Norse ruler with the cynical trait. They're more likely to convert.

This seems sort of counter-intuitive, given the way that cynical is sort of presented in-game as a borderline agnostic trait, or at least showing a character has a fairly dim view of the organised religions in general.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

But a cynical character is more likely to adopt a religion for political reasons than someone who is an ardent believer.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

But a cynical character is more likely to adopt a religion for political reasons than someone who is an ardent believer.

Exactly. If you ask me, it should be a whole lot easier for cynical characters to engage in religious fuckery, since it's all just politics to them. For example, cynical characters should get a steep discount on the "convert to local religion" decision, since it would be so much easier for them to make that call (also because it doesn't make a lot of sense for cynical characters to have like 500 piety rolling around). Correspondingly, though, there could be a high chance of getting random "piss off the church" events, maybe even a chance of being randomly excommunicated.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Sistergodiva posted:

I just realized that stabbing is awesome, since I've been playing a lot of ck2+ where it's a more permanent penalty for getting caught.

Should I plot against them? Or just throw money at it? Plotting seems to have a very small %, but maybe I just need to befriend the right people?

I find that if an assassination is caught, the AI will almost always try to assassinate back. That makes me analyze vary carefully not only my chances of succeeding but also my chances of getting caught and if caught, how skilled the stabee's spymaster is and the chances I'll get stabbed back. One surefire way to commit suicide is to try to stab the HRE.

So unless I absolutely need someone dead now (a key inheritance, maybe?) I'll plot. A few bribes to the right discontents and you can get death at much lower prices, so long as you're willing to wait a while.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Modding Wishlist: ex officio traits, i.e. character traits that pass to whoever holds a specific title. Currently this can be kludged with events, but doing so probably eats up more system resources than it should.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Eimi posted:

Hey I was wondering people with modding skill, is there any way to mod portraits? I want to play around with what hats people wear, but cannot really find out how to do so.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?530197-Crusader-Kings-II-Dev-Diary-7-Character-Portraits-and-Modding

Sounds like you'd have to mess around with portrait_properties.txt in CKII/interface

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Looks like there a bug with reforming pagan religion. I just got the Old Gods DLC and couldn't figure out how to reform religion for two generations and that just completely messed up my game with succession. Ah well, guess I'll put this playthrough on hiatus, oh hey, EU4 is on sale.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I think Paradox really needs to rethink the can't usurp titles from someone at war mechanic. I successfully did the Caliphate Strikes Back achievement yesterday and I ended up wasting a lot of time after I went independent waiting for pointless revolts to end in the Seljuk Empire so I could take titles in areas where I owned literally everything. A random peasant revolt in India shouldn't stop me from taking the Kingdom of Mesopotamia when I own the entire kingdom already.

I noticed some other bugs too. These were all for Muslim characters.

-Banishing imprisoned revolters still gives a piety hit even though it says it doesn't

-If you directly hold the Sunni Holy Order you'll always end up losing 300 gold once you get to 300 from random rulers doing the "borrow 300 gold" intrigue option. It made it impossible to do anything and I had to give up the title to some random count just so I could improve my holdings.

-There's a bunch of options that are still showing the base code in brackets. For example, when you build horse archers as a Persian the tooltip on your army doesn't display the abbreviation for horse archers, instead it's this long string in brackets. This was also the case for player.pietyname or something like that.

-The new decadence mechanics might need some work. Every realm was either extremely stable or got overthrown in months without any rhyme or reason. The Shia empire in Egypt never had any decadence problems while the Seljuk empire let it go all the way up to 100 before imploding in a decadence revolt.

-The Mongols ruin Persia games since their units don't take attrition and in a large empire they can manage to siege enough stuff down before your forces even get there. I know they're supposed to be tough to beat but I lost Afghanistan in a month, way before any of my units were even close to being in position. I'm pretty sure it always worked like this, but it's still really annoying.

-The AI seemed to have big problems prioritizing targets when they had wars with more than one group. I saw the AI let a huge stack siege down their holdings and lose a war to Byzantium while their doomstack chased down 3k stacks of peasant rebels.

-Ironman is basically unusable. I quit playing after the Mongols showed up (1200s) but at that time each local save on an SSD was taking 6 seconds. I actually timed it. 6 seconds of delay every 30 days of gametime is way too slow. Since it only takes a second or two to go a month at full speed I think I spent more of my playthrough looking at the hourglass animation than I did playing. I cannot even imagine how bad it gets in the late game. I like playing ironman but I honestly don't think I'll use it any more, the performance is that bad.

-If you're playing as a child you can't arrange any marriages nor can you have betrothed characters get married.

-The distance mechanic can screw up betrothals. I had my brother betrothed to the daughter of the Sultan of Africa, but he shifted court and moved out of diplomatic range. As a result he could never get married to her but he also couldn't break the betrothal and since betrothed Muslims can't take a second wife until they married the first one the guy died a bachelor. I'm glad it was with a brother and not my heir or that would've been a restart.

This has to be the first update/DLC that I'm really unhappy with. The bugs with Indian rulers made them unplayable unless you like dealing with revolts and more troubling, the performance has gotten worse, when the developers said that they were going to focus on optimizing performance.

I like playing the game (Steam says I've put in over 200 hours since I got it right around when it came out) but it's really hard to like it right now with all the issues that are there. And given that this is the second DLC in a row where there were major unfixed bugs on release (the new one for EUIV had issues too) I don't think I'll be buying any more DLC until the QA gets better.

I hope they fix it. I know there's some devs reading this thread so hopefully they pass this along :smith:

axeil fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 31, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

monster on a stick posted:

A player went to India, but I really did see a Norse adventurer take a bite out of the Sinai. He appears to be gone now which is too bad.

And then another adventurer showed up in Azov. That makes a little more sense with the history of the Vikings and their trade down the Volga, but still, this isn't even RoI.

Also I was in a war against Ethiopia and captured a kid from the Selassie dynasty. Maybe an easter egg?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I would highly recommend beginners to play as Haraldr Yngling of Ostlandet in the 867 start. You control a 4 county pretty kingdom in Norway with 2 vassals. It's not too much to be overwhelming but gives you an opportunity to get used to feudal mechanics. Every other independent realm in Norway is a single county and taking the become King of Norway ambition makes forming the kingdom trivially easy. Plus as a Norse you can always go raiding got easy cash.

Oh yeah you also start at 17 years old so you don't have to worry about you're ruler dying anytime soon.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Adventurers showing up in Azov is nothing strange. If Dyre the Stranger doesn't convert (which he rarely did before RoI) and doesn't fall to the surrounding Slavic pagans, then a Norse pagan ruler is very close to Azov anyway.

Regarding the bugs, that's why I don't play ironman. That example with the king moving away leaving a character permanently unmarried? I would have tagged over and moved him back, or I would have console-killed the bride. Right now I use the play command every 25 years or so to clear out the rebellious provinces in India, that mechanic is stupid.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Can you select your successor as a republic? I can't find an option to anywhere. Just started playing Venice for the first time and I really don't want my half-brother with 0 diplomacy to inherit.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Jackie D posted:

Can you select your successor as a republic? I can't find an option to anywhere. Just started playing Venice for the first time and I really don't want my half-brother with 0 diplomacy to inherit.

Grant the honorary title "designate heir" to whoever you want to inherit.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
So as the Zoroastrian Mongol Empire the Rise of the Shia occured in Sindh. I have no problem with that part, that part was cool. What I have a problem with is a decade later they declared a Jihad for Sicily, when the only other Shiites were on the Arabian coast of the Persian Gulf.

I think Paradox should maybe give the Jihad system another look over, or at least the priorities.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

axeil posted:

I like playing the game (Steam says I've put in over 200 hours since I got it right around when it came out) but it's really hard to like it right now with all the issues that are there. And given that this is the second DLC in a row where there were major unfixed bugs on release (the new one for EUIV had issues too) I don't think I'll be buying any more DLC until the QA gets better.

I hope they fix it. I know there's some devs reading this thread so hopefully they pass this along :smith:

Yeah, I think Doomdark was pretty surprised by the stream of bugs I have been reporting from my own play and this thread and is going to look into what they can do better.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

pedro0930 posted:

Looks like there a bug with reforming pagan religion. I just got the Old Gods DLC and couldn't figure out how to reform religion for two generations and that just completely messed up my game with succession. Ah well, guess I'll put this playthrough on hiatus, oh hey, EU4 is on sale.

What's the bug? Trying to reform ot myself so I wanna be sure I'm not trying in vain.

Also will the hotfix ruin ny saves or is that just main patches?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Mantis42 posted:

Yes, but there isn't much chance of it being politically expedient for most of the Norse pagan rulers to actually convert to another religion, given they're surrounded by other Norse pagan rulers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sistergodiva posted:

What's the bug? Trying to reform ot myself so I wanna be sure I'm not trying in vain.

Also will the hotfix ruin ny saves or is that just main patches?

I haven't tested it myself but others said you can only reform the Norse pagan faith at the moment, all other pagan faiths are buggy and you cannot reform.

There has not been a hotfix that broke save games in CK2 history, and even main patches did not always break the game. I think only Legacy of Rome and Rajas of India broke save games, but I could be wrong.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, I think Doomdark was pretty surprised by the stream of bugs I have been reporting from my own play and this thread and is going to look into what they can do better.

Just out of curiosity, how is the team composition like at Paradox Dev studio? How many people tend to work on a given project, and how many people work on different projects simultaneously?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
There's 5 teams of ~4 people each, plus an AI/engine team of 2, and 3-4 artists. Plus 5 in the QA team.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ofaloaf posted:

So I had a go at implementing Protestantism (basically using Orthodox mechanics) in the postapoc America thing and now I'm wondering how much of America should be Catholic. A Canticle For Leibowitz had the Pope in St. Louis and that's sort of a guide for what's going on, which means that Catholicism's a bit more widespread than before, but it's kind of a tossup between making everything east of the Mississippi clear of Catholicism or just making a lot of it dominated by non-Catholics. The latter option might make the eastern US too cluttered in terms of religions and lead to a clusterfuck in terms of early gameplay, dunno.

Will there be any far-out religions, or is it all derivative protestant/catholic stuff?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

If we're doing a bug report, the game literally freeze crashes after about five minutes on my macbook pro. From looking at the forums a fair few other people seem to be having this problem as well. Steam community overlay disabled already. Used to crash every two hours or so but now cannot start a game at all - almost as soon as I unpause, it locks.

RoI pack installed btw, but even with it off, this patch is slightly screwed. Rolling back is something I haven't tried yet, but the game has been completely unplayable since the patch.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think Ive hit a bug, or a new mechanic I dont understand: I cant raise boats, at all.

Im playing Novrogod, started as a custom ruler (with russian culture and norse religion), in 867.

At first I though I could not raise boats because all my provinces were landlocked. But then I got a whole bunch of coastal provinces and the raise boat button is disabled for then. No explanation on the tooltip: its just grey.

On the military screen, navy tab shows that I have 0/0/0 navy.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think Ive hit a bug, or a new mechanic I dont understand: I cant raise boats, at all.

Im playing Novrogod, started as a custom ruler (with russian culture and norse religion), in 867.

At first I though I could not raise boats because all my provinces were landlocked. But then I got a whole bunch of coastal provinces and the raise boat button is disabled for then. No explanation on the tooltip: its just grey.

On the military screen, navy tab shows that I have 0/0/0 navy.

Do you actually have any boat-buildings in your coastal provinces and do you have the tech for it? A lot of people start out without boats in 867.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Do you still have the recently conquered modifier on your coastal provinces? The 100% levy penalty from that also applies to boats.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sistergodiva posted:

Do you actually have any boat-buildings in your coastal provinces and do you have the tech for it? A lot of people start out without boats in 867.

Maybe I dont, but then what tech and buildings I need?

Its my first 867 game, I never knew you could start without boat tech.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

Oh that's good. Thanks for passing this stuff along. :)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

One of the gimmicks is that noone but the vikings has boat tech at that start (the non-ruler designed norse mostly start with 2 boat tech). To build ships you a shipyard which in turn needs the province you wanna build in to be at least boat tech 1.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Elias_Maluco posted:

There is a tech in the military tech tree that unlocks buildings for all three holding types that give them boats. AS the other guy said it could also be because you have the recently conquered or new administration modifier on your new coastal settlements, there should be a little red symbol on the picture of the holding if so.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I just realised that ruler designer probably has nothing to do with access to boats at the OG start as it's based on tech/buildings.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sistergodiva posted:

There is a tech in the military tech tree that unlocks buildings for all three holding types that give them boats. AS the other guy said it could also be because you have the recently conquered or new administration modifier on your new coastal settlements, there should be a little red symbol on the picture of the holding if so.

It inst recently conquered anymore, and I do have boat tech I, if Im not mistaken. But only in my capital, so I guess I still have to wait it spread to those coastal provinces.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Jackie D posted:

Click on the relative you want to designate as your heir, click on the diplomacy button, and then go to the honorary titles button. "Designated Heir" should be there.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

axeil posted:

I think Paradox really needs to rethink the can't usurp titles from someone at war mechanic.

Agreed on this one. It becomes almost impossible to usurp certain titles unless you take all of the previous owner's holdings.

axeil posted:

-If you directly hold the Sunni Holy Order you'll always end up losing 300 gold once you get to 300 from random rulers doing the "borrow 300 gold" intrigue option. It made it impossible to do anything and I had to give up the title to some random count just so I could improve my holdings.

I saw this one too, pre RoI. It was hilarious, but I did have to give up the title immediately.

axeil posted:

-Ironman is basically unusable.

It's really painful. If there was a yearly autosave option, I'd love that.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 31, 2014

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Aside from the irritating crash problem, I have realised my idle thought about The Lord of Light Mod is not only possible, but actually not too difficult at all. On that note, does anyone know of a decent guide to modding ck2? A kind of step by step guide to making a simple mod that will establish the basics before I can work through testing it out?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ulmont posted:

Agreed on this one. It becomes almost impossible to usurp certain titles unless you take all of the previous owner's holdings.

It's true even if you do (at least for 2.0.4.) Whenever I'm on the offense against the Muslims, even if I have all the counties and all the baronies/etc. in a duchy, I can't usurp it because the Caliph is almost always at war, even if it's not for the title that I'm trying to usurp. I wouldn't even care if they raised the usurp threshold to 80% in these cases, but any large kindgom/empire is probably always fighting either a revolt or trying to conquer something.

BTW since I am on the offense now and just won a Jihad - what's a good territory to try to take? Baghdad seems to be the richest duchy but it also appears to be overextending myself a bit (and there WILL be a Jihad trying to take it back, the last one was pretty sketchy for a while.)

Also - eventually the Hordes will come. Last time I had Cataphracts which managed to hold their own (about as much as one can against them), this time I have Gallowglass. Should I be building other types of units for my retinues? There are other countries in the way (notably the Seljuks who are pretty powerful), I'm thinking that my strategy should be to let the hordes use all their event troops against them, then HW it back.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

For anyone worrying about the Religious Unrest bug in India, it seems to crop up no matter what religion you are. I ruler-designed an Orthodox Sri Lankan guy, managed to conquer most of India and a single wicked priest Patriarch in Constantinople dropped the RA down to a point where 'religious unrest' was dotted across a full quarter of my realm. It got to an entertaining point where I was having trouble keeping it down while cheating myself gold and a massive force of mercenaries. I suspect it might only crop up in Jain/Buddhist provinces but isn't removed even when the province religion is my religion.

Nothing quite like starting a war with your eight thousand men against a nine thousand man alliance and twenty-five thousand rebels cropping up in the meantime.

edit: Compressing the saves makes no difference as to the autosave. The end-of-year saves hit 8 or 9 seconds at 1200 on a full playthrough from 867 (and I'm just running a regular old 7200 RPM HDD) which is bearable, but I couldn't imagine doing it on ironman.

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 31, 2014

• Locked thread