Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I know it's not an original sentiment, but I wish they'd sell all the OP items; they'd be fun to have with my gaming buddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I know it's not an original sentiment, but I wish they'd sell all the OP items; they'd be fun to have with my gaming buddies.

I agree. I'm not a fan of LEs that you can play with in tournaments.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Wikipedia Brown posted:

You actually can buy the DS9 at retail, though for what they're asking you're better off just getting the AMT model and sitting it on the OP token.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Picked up my dominion battleship & bird of prey today, the battleship is pleasantly larger than i expected, looks like it could do some dirt. bird painted on the romulan ship is better than i expected tbh

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I really like the design of the Somraw. Its a shame the ship itself is such a piece of poo poo. Only card in the pack worth getting is Bu'kah

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Agreed on the Somraw. Pretty middling.

The Equinox I picked up mainly for the Captains, it's nice to have some cheap but good for the points options for Feds.

Battleship is mostly a beast, and there's some interesting stuff going on with the Bird of Prey.

Next month they introduce two factions I could give a gently caress about. Meat monsters and space morons would need to have some really intersting mechanics and upgrades for me to bother with those xpacs.

Borg, OTOH...

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Agreed on the Somraw. Pretty middling.

The Equinox I picked up mainly for the Captains, it's nice to have some cheap but good for the points options for Feds.

Battleship is mostly a beast, and there's some interesting stuff going on with the Bird of Prey.

Next month they introduce two factions I could give a gently caress about. Meat monsters and space morons would need to have some really intersting mechanics and upgrades for me to bother with those xpacs.

Borg, OTOH...

i dunno, i am more interested in how they make Species XXX a match for the borg, if the borg are just going to be ridiculous

Space morons though? SHRUG

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Space morons though? SHRUG

Seriously, wasn't their whole deal that they had FTL travel, but could not figure out how to find/fabricate WATER?

Makes the Pakled look like the Vulcans.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 4, 2014

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Seriously, wasn't their whole deal that they had FTL travel, but could not figure out how to find/fabricate WATER?

Makes the Pakled look like the Vulcans.

As a free action, I'll spend a Thirst token to disable your photon torpedoes

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Man, fed pure really pushed to be 2-ship the way they work, but I really want to find a way to open up viable 3-ship builds.

Here's something I'm playing with:

Resource: Flagship Federation (10)
U.S.S. Equinox (20)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Flagship (0)
Cheat Death (5)
Cheat Death (5)
Kyle (2)
Quantum Torpedoes (6)
Ship SP: 44

U.S.S. Reliant (20)
Maxwell Burke (1)
Photon Torpedoes (3)
Ship SP: 24

Miranda Class (18)
Clarke Terrell (1)
Photon Torpedoes (3)
Ship SP: 22

Total Build SP: 100

The Equinox is a beast to kill between shield regen and Cheat Death, and packs a punch with Q-torps. Either Miranda backs it up, and Terrell gives both ships 3 evade dice, while the fed flagship gives everything a defensive reroll. If Burke's Reliant can get in close he can discard for a six-die phaser blast. Basically I feel like it creates a targeting dilemma with whether you want to go for the unkillable ship, the support, or the one-shot monster first, and whichever is picked, there's still a potent package on the table with either pair of remaining ships.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

God knows this would be a huge waste of money but I'd really love to try this list.

Kvort class (28)
Gowron

Romulan Science Vessel (22)
Donatra
Defense Condition 1

Raptor Class (18)
Clark Terrel

Raptor Class (16)

Raptor Class (16)

Dontra stays perma cloaked for her buff and Condition Ones the first combat round. Your shittiest ships have 2 agil, an evade (their action) and a battle station. If by some miracle you don't lose a Raptor in the first exchange you're tossing 20 attack dice with battle stations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I got a thing:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Bananas! I love it.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

I got a thing:

Congrats!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Man. I don't like this. I don't like this at all.

http://www.universaldist.com/images/document/71645%20The%20Collective%20Tournament%20Brick.pdf

quote:

Beginning July 2014, the three month
Star Trek: Attack Wing – The Collective Storyline Organized Play (OP
) event series includes
compelling content such as:

Five ALL-NEW Star Trek: Attack Wing ships found
only
in The Collective Tournament Bricks!

Desirable Competitive and Participation Prizes each month

Highly-sought after Grand Prize for Month Three!

The
Star Trek: Attack Wing – The Collective Tournament Brick
is intended for use in stores’ monthly
The Collective
events:

Each Tournament Brick contains ten (10) non-visible (blind) ship packs. There are five different all-new ships found in
this SKU.

The Star Trek: Attack Wing Tournament Brick is covered by the WizKids Games Promotional Product Licensing
Agreement, and is not available for re-sale outside of stores’ Star Trek: Attack Wing – The Collective OP events. Suggested
Tournament Booster pricing for in-store The Collective Storyline OP events is $15.00 per blind booster.

There was already a brisk enough pace of releases, and I liked being able to say of the game you could buy the ships and WYSIWYG.

I guess it will encourage a little bit of trading in the community, maybe that's not terrible? eh...

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Man. I don't like this. I don't like this at all.

http://www.universaldist.com/images/document/71645%20The%20Collective%20Tournament%20Brick.pdf

There was already a brisk enough pace of releases, and I liked being able to say of the game you could buy the ships and WYSIWYG.

I guess it will encourage a little bit of trading in the community, maybe that's not terrible? eh...

welp, i'm out

not interested in paying 15 bucks for a single ship that i may or may not want

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

welp, i'm out

not interested in paying 15 bucks for a single ship that i may or may not want

I don't blame you. It's a good game, the OP system seemed solid, from what I could tell it was successful. I don't see why they'd want to stack another gimmick on things to alienate people who just want to buy some fuckin' spaceships.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

I don't blame you. It's a good game, the OP system seemed solid, from what I could tell it was successful. I don't see why they'd want to stack another gimmick on things to alienate people who just want to buy some fuckin' spaceships.

maybe they're just trying to recapture that lightning in a bottle that was Star Trek Tactics! (That I have literally never seen around here)

Edit: also, way to differentiate yourself from X-Wing, in like the dumbest way

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dunno if this was posted. Stats for..whatever this thing is. another 2 attack ship how exciting.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1958347/star-trek-attack-wing-nistrim-raider-expansion-pa?size=large

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The fact that her primaries basically home in on active sensor emissions is interesting, but I am so predisposed to not give a gently caress since the Kazon are some of the lamest most generic poo poo in Trek. Nothing in here is so amazing it's making me reconsider for game purposes.

I'm slowing down on my "one of each two of each Fed" purchase plan. Next wave I intend to just go borg/fed. Last wave I didn't even get the Klingon ship, I figure I'll just trade for the only card worth a drat in it, Bukake.

I'm on the fence about Vulcans, it will depend if they are dual faction/count as Feds. If nothing else I'm having trouble storing everything.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Just wait for the E, and then fly that forever. Til I blow you out of the sky with Voyager!!!

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Groping one generation at a time
So umm does this work like I think it will?

Resource: Flagship Independent (Klingon) (10)

4th Division Battleship (36)
Weyoun (4)
Flagship (0)
Conditional Surrender (4)
Breen Aide (2)
Photon Torpedoes (6)
Dorsal Weapons Array (3)
Antiproton Scan (4)
Long Range Tachyon Scan (2)
Ship SP: 61

I.R.W. Praetus (14)
Donatra (4)
All Forward Disruptor Banks (4)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 28

Total Build SP: 99

Basic idea being blow DS9 up on turn 1, drop cloaked mines on turn 2, exploit Weyoun and Conditional Surrender to basically just keep firing at ships until they're all dead?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gropey C posted:

Basic idea being blow DS9 up on turn 1, drop cloaked mines on turn 2, exploit Weyoun and Conditional Surrender to basically just keep firing at ships until they're all dead?

Sure. Keep in mind Weyoun becomes skill 1 when disabled so you'll be shooting last a lot, if you get shot more than once in a turn or bump and lose your re-enable action you'll of course be forced to use Conditional Surrender for realsies or eat the hit.

It's a potent as gently caress combo, esp against builds that don't generate a lot of attacks.

If you have access to it Additional Weapons Array might do what you're trying to do with All Forward Disruptor Banks a little better.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

I'm thinking of changing out the second ship to maybe something with like this

ChTang
Martok

and adding Strike Force.

Basically I forgo changing the battlefield for a better second ship and extra action on the battleship, and second part being probably dropping the breen aid to instead go for Scotty, just to try and ensure 5 attack dice in a 360 range.

I think I need to play a few practice games with the battleship to get used to it's pretty direct maneuvers and narrow firing arc.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ch'tang is pretty good, but hella fragile. Pairing it with a flagshipped battleship would make BoF almost required. Especially with the text on the Ch'Tang.

More info out about the OP boosters. The ten booster kits have a flat collated rarity scheme, meaning barring mispacks you're "guaranteed" exactly two of each of the five ships per brick.

The recommended format is 90 points constructed pre-event, plus 30 points drafted from the pack.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

yeah I know it's fragile, but my thought about it is you can't afford to just let the battleship sit there loving you up at 9 dice a turn while you try and kill the Ch'Tang who's main purpose is to just support the battleship, and if you're running a 2 ship fleet, forget about it. I'm still not sure how I deal with the Hideki Fighter squad though in terms of prioritizing them.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

REPAINTS, BITCHES!

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Repaints? Where did you get that refit :swoon:

Also, weird that we've seen no previews of the next wave?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Repaints? Where did you get that refit :swoon:

Also, weird that we've seen no previews of the next wave?

It's the one from the first Star Trek Tactics starter. I got it when I thought the tinyprise was going to be it and didn't know if they were releasing a proper refit (they are.)

Previews should start next Wednesday and end release day, if the pattern holds up from the last waves.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
So I just learned about this game and it seems pretty cool. It seems like getting half the stuff for it requires winning tournaments or scouring ebay which sucks. How bad is it really if I just want to rope a buddy into playing spaceships casually?

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Lagomorphic posted:

So I just learned about this game and it seems pretty cool. It seems like getting half the stuff for it requires winning tournaments or scouring ebay which sucks. How bad is it really if I just want to rope a buddy into playing spaceships casually?

I own the core and a couple of the other ships that I like and it's fun as hell to play. Pew-pew noises are compulsory.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lagomorphic posted:

You don't need any of the tourney LE's for casual play. Fully half of them are just different versions of existing ships so far, and the few that aren't aren't the headliners like the Enterprise, but the more marginal ships. You don't even "need" them for competitive play, though there are a handful of upgrade cards that are very useful in competitive builds.

I'd say pick up the starter and give it a whirl, even that's good for several games and configurations before it gets stale enough that you'll want a couple expansions to mix in.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Nistram Raider preview up. I think Photonic Charges are the best part.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

They are pretty good. The ship itself really messes with fed power hour crap that relies on Spock/Valtane/HE Sensor sweep/Excelsior/etc.

That 5 point crew is alright, but will get better if they come out with a Kazon ship that can hurl more dice.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I really appreciate them previewing the ship I am interested in the least

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I really appreciate them previewing the ship I am interested in the least

Well they gotta build up to the good ones.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Well they gotta build up to the good ones.

Don't start the show with a showstopper I guess

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Don't start the show with a showstopper I guess

Wonder if that's going to be Voyager or the Sphere.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

well I won my OP6 using this build

List Name

Admiral's Order: Strike Force (5)

Resource: Flagship Independent (Fed) (10)

I.R.W. Valdore (30)
Jean-Luc Picard (7)
Flagship (0)
Tactical Officer (3)
Bochra (1)
Interphase Generator (3)
Ship SP: 44

Koranak (26)
Gul Dukat (5)
Boheeka (2)
Cloaked Mines (4)
Cloaked Mines (4)
Ship SP: 41

Total Build SP: 100

First match was a simple two fed build, cloaked mines did damage, koranak almost got destroyed and then I ran it off the edge by accident. Second match, was tougher with the Valdore using its 4 actions a turn to really turn it around...once again Koranak got blown to bits. This two ship fed build made great use of the sideboard allowing him multiple cheat deaths, crew abound, antimatter mines, etc. I was really impressed with the use of the sideboard, and since flagships are getting banned at my store this might be my go to resource. Third game was against Picard/Guldukat Romulans with interphase generators etc. A little miss play by him and some great 4 action turn and sensor echoing from me picked me up the win. Koranak destroyed super early in the match as always.

In conclusion, Koranak wasn't worth it versus the shootouts we had. It just got torn to bits, and I would have been better off playing a Praetus and then booking it to DS9 and packing more on my Valdore. My cloaked mines netted me 14 hits and 3 crits in my 3 matches plus created multiple situations where my opponent was tasked with moving based upon their location. Tactical officer with battle stations is just an automatic hit with every dice pretty much.

My store is moving to faction pure and making flagships a banned resource. So it we'll see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Gropey C posted:

My store is moving to faction pure and making flagships a banned resource. So it we'll see how it goes.

Enjoy your new Klingon-Federation meta.

• Locked thread