Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

0lives posted:

As far as I know, steam doesn't hurt people like it used to, now it's just a gentle cleansing. You could put your dwarves in the steam room instead, maybe they'd like it!

A sauna room just doesn't have the same appeal :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Vengarr posted:

You guys want to solve everything with magma.

I had an idea for a broiler room. Floor made of steel grates, two reservoirs of magma and water directly beneath separated by a magma-safe floodgate. When the invaders step on the pressure plate, the doors seal and the floodgate opens. :supaburn:

Magma mist is what you should be looking for.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

scamtank posted:

Aquifers don't affect cave water levels at all. The dampness is determined in worldgen.

No, there will be mud there, but the plants are just not there (no trees and no fungus).

Wormy Tendrils are the most adorable biome feature :allears:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

duralict posted:

Nope, there's an unblocked entrance to the fort. But now caravans have started bypassing it too, for no explicable reason (there's an open three-tile-wide path straight into the fort from multiple edges but the Depot Accessibility view green line just stops 2/3 of the way down). I don't know wtf is going on with the pathing in this fort.

The caravans are avoiding that path probably because there's a tree growing in the way. If it's not that, it might be an impassible object - something someone dropped?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah trees can often grow on your depot path without you noticing. That's why at some point I'll make a paved road leading to the depot. It keeps anything from blocking it, plus it just looks nice.

Flesh Forge posted:

Wormy Tendrils are the most adorable biome feature :allears:

Fun fact; despite being made out of flesh, livestock can graze on the evil flora just fine. So even in a blighted land covered in blinking eyes and squirming vein roots, Old McUrist can still run his farm. Provided of course a horrible mist doesn't rise out of the ground and corrupt everything.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

quote:

03/30/2014 Toady One The list of new plants has more or less settled. We don't have certain things implied by the lists, like coffee or tea drinks, or tapioca, and so on, but there'll be some stuff anyway as everything slowly gets more interesting.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Dang. That's food for thought.

How is he going to model all of this?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Master Chef: Dwarf Fortress

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I finally found an embark with phase spider silk and good metal and poo poo and .... AN EVIL CLOUD OF BULLSHIT wafts over the wagon before I even get any digging done and everyone turns into monsters. THE END.

You really don't want to ask this game "aww come on how bad could it be?"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

durian (Durio zibethinus)
The dwarven recruit bashes the goblin in the head with the durian!

hemp (Cannabis sativa)
:420::black101::420:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SynthOrange posted:

hemp (Cannabis sativa)
:420::black101::420:

Urist McDwarf cancels Make rock blocks: Too high.

Actually I'd kind of like to see pipe-smoking dwarves in game, Tolkien's dwarves are all day smoking.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's been so long since the last release that I've stopped caring so much, now I'm just hoping we some more weird dwarf mode stuff before he releases.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I seem to be running into a consistent bug in Masterwork. Twice now I've had failed moods despite my warlocks getting what they need and begin working. I'll Q over the building and it'll be "Mr Warlock works furiously", yet when I T it there is no actual ingredients in the workshop.

Also good thing you can kill things with DF hack, or else you'd never get rid of failed mood skeletons.

EDIT: Also is there any fix to ghouls rotting forever? A ghoul will get his thumb sprained, rests at the hospital then stays there forever as my now legendary surgeon cuts off every bit of skin he has.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

420 CANCEL TASKS EVERYDAY

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I gotta say I want dwarves to smoke. And like a skill for blowing smoke rings. And crafting pipes of great power!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

With realistic cancer formation after a few years of usage.

Finally a long-term use for hospitals!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Leal posted:

EDIT: Also is there any fix to ghouls rotting forever? A ghoul will get his thumb sprained, rests at the hospital then stays there forever as my now legendary surgeon cuts off every bit of skin he has.

Without editting the raws? No. I'm gonna guess that the ghouls are designed to have permanently rotten skin, so when they end up in the hospital the doctor decides to remove it all. That can actually happen in vanilla DF if a dwarf has an unfortunate run in with a forgotten beast with miasma breath. If they contract a syndrome that causes their skin to permanently rot, dwarf doctors will "solve" the issue by carefully peeling off every inch of skin on their body.

Baloogan posted:

Yeah, I gotta say I want dwarves to smoke. And like a skill for blowing smoke rings. And crafting pipes of great power!

It'd be great if you could build smoking lounges which cause dwarves to be more likely to develop a mood. Even better if it includes fell moods so occasionally someone goes for a smoke and instead gets turned into a bone earing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Without editting the raws? No. I'm gonna guess that the ghouls are designed to have permanently rotten skin, so when they end up in the hospital the doctor decides to remove it all. That can actually happen in vanilla DF if a dwarf has an unfortunate run in with a forgotten beast with miasma breath. If they contract a syndrome that causes their skin to permanently rot, dwarf doctors will "solve" the issue by carefully peeling off every inch of skin on their body.

Its drat annoying, its almost like designating a hospital activates their tissue rotting too. They can be fine before, then as soon as I make a hospital half my ghouls rest and have rotten skin. I'm considering just killing off all the ghouls and not bothering, just beeline to the thing that makes it so you can't lose control of skeletons and just have a skeleton and warlock fortress.

Also I figured out the problem with my moods, it seems my craftsman shop is cursed and anything that enters it immediately decays. I had a ghoul stuck in a loop getting bones, dropping them off, getting more bones, comes back to see that the bones he had earlier rotted away, repeat. Or when someone starts working and the item will rot and they're stuck making the item till they go insane.

loving rot man.

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
My rope reed seeds seem to disappear and I'm pretty sure they're being cooked or brewed. But there's no option to turn off cooking them in the kitchen stocks menu? Is this a bug? Where are they going? I have workflow jobs set to process them automatically.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

ENSENDA CURES MAIL posted:

My rope reed seeds seem to disappear and I'm pretty sure they're being cooked or brewed. But there's no option to turn off cooking them in the kitchen stocks menu? Is this a bug? Where are they going? I have workflow jobs set to process them automatically.
If you don't have any items of a particular type in-stock at the moment, then it's automatically removed from the Kitchen menu (for the sake of brevity).
  1. Pause the game.
  2. Using z>Stocks or the k menu, select a seed.
  3. Enter the following command:
    pre:
    changeitem m PLANT:GRASS_REED_ROPE:SEED
  4. Move the cursor to a plant. Enter the command:
    pre:
    changeitem m PLANT:GRASS_REED_ROPE
  5. Open the z>Kitchen menu. You should now be able to disable cooking of Rope Reed plants and seeds.
Other possibilities:
  • If you're using the seedwatch plugin, then check its settings. If it's configured improperly then it can spontaneously re-enable cooking of your plants and seeds.
  • Keep an eye on your farms. I don't have much experience with above-ground farming; I suppose it's possible that the seeds are being planted normally but then the growing (or mature?) plants are being killed by frost.
  • Wandering animals (such as Kea birds) can steal items, but they target high-value stuff so it's very unlikely that they'd raid your crops.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

dwarf doctors will "solve" the issue by carefully peeling off every inch of skin on their body.

There has been a lot of horrifying dwarfy poo poo in this thread, but that takes the :stare: cake

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Famethrowa posted:

There has been a lot of horrifying dwarfy poo poo in this thread, but that takes the :stare: cake

He's exaggerating. The patient always dies before all their skin is peeled.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leal posted:

Its drat annoying, its almost like designating a hospital activates their tissue rotting too.

I've not played Masterwork, but in vanilla DF, the chief doctor won't perform diagnoses until a hospital is designated. So it's entirely possible that designating your hospital is exactly why you suddenly have a bunch of "patient appears to be rotting" diagnoses.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I've not played Masterwork, but in vanilla DF, the chief doctor won't perform diagnoses until a hospital is designated. So it's entirely possible that designating your hospital is exactly why you suddenly have a bunch of "patient appears to be rotting" diagnoses.

It could be that, normally I have the ghouls outside where the miasma doesn't start blasting everywhere.

Something neat though with Masterwork as is, even playing as dwarves they still retain the warlocks "butcher everything ever" attitude and actually butcher things that aren't simple minded quadrupeds. Waiting to see if I can have my dwarves butcher kobolds and eat their delicious meat.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leal posted:

It could be that, normally I have the ghouls outside where the miasma doesn't start blasting everywhere.

Something neat though with Masterwork as is, even playing as dwarves they still retain the warlocks "butcher everything ever" attitude and actually butcher things that aren't simple minded quadrupeds. Waiting to see if I can have my dwarves butcher kobolds and eat their delicious meat.

Use the bones of your slain enemies to make armor and weapons with which to slay the next batch. Is it possible to use bone as a weapon material (other than bolts) in Masterwork? Building an hall of halberd weapon traps and serrated disk traps made of various sentient creature bones seems simultaneously :psydwarf: :black101: :unsmigghh:

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
You can make almost anything out of almost anything in Masterwork. There's a special workshop for making stuff from bones.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

You could make a reaction that takes bones and produces a weapon made from the bone's material, sure. It'd be terrible, but you could.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

scamtank posted:

You could make a reaction that takes bones and produces a weapon made from the bone's material, sure. It'd be terrible, but you could.
Sounds great for Kobold Camp. Bone Shard Knives, or something.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Nietzschean posted:

Use the bones of your slain enemies to make armor and weapons with which to slay the next batch. Is it possible to use bone as a weapon material (other than bolts) in Masterwork? Building an hall of halberd weapon traps and serrated disk traps made of various sentient creature bones seems simultaneously :psydwarf: :black101: :unsmigghh:

You can, in fact, make bone traps and such at the boneyard, though they deal an insignificant amount of damage.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
The coolest thing Masterwork added was the gemforge. Make a sword out of pure ruby!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

Master Chef: Dwarf Fortress

Can't wait to have my dwarves attacked by Turnip Men!

Really though, does this mean that the fantasy flora is going away? Mushrooms don't work in real life like they do in this game, so he can't completely get away from it.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I had a siege recently and did pretty well although a poo poo-ton of dwarves got injured. Too bad nobody seems to care and would rather pick up goblin clothes than recover wounded dwarves. They get around to it eventually but to speed things up, I thought I might cause a few cave-ins to knock them out. I make a minor 1-square cave-in but THIS time, it goes horribly wrong and the miner AND the injured dwarf AND her baby all end up with broken spines. WHOOPS.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Arven posted:

Really though, does this mean that the fantasy flora is going away? Mushrooms don't work in real life like they do in this game, so he can't completely get away from it.

I would guess it'll follow the same pattern as trees, animals and so on - real plants in the environments that actually exist, fantasy ones in the caverns and evil regions and such. We might see the end of rope reeds and prickle berries but we're probably keeping plump helmets and pig tails.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Urist has been ecstatic lately. He has recently created a masterfully crafted smoke ring.

This is a masterfully crafted smoke ring; it is grey with rings of darker smoke within. It menaces with spikes of TOBACCO and STRAWBERRY LEAVES. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality.

(one turn later the smoke is gone)

Urist has been stricken with a melancholy lately; he has recently lost a masterwork item. Urist is throwing a tantrum.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Lareine posted:

I had a siege recently and did pretty well although a poo poo-ton of dwarves got injured. Too bad nobody seems to care and would rather pick up goblin clothes than recover wounded dwarves. They get around to it eventually but to speed things up, I thought I might cause a few cave-ins to knock them out. I make a minor 1-square cave-in but THIS time, it goes horribly wrong and the miner AND the injured dwarf AND her baby all end up with broken spines. WHOOPS.

I wish that was a DFhack option. Knock fools out so that they can be properly hauled to a bed.

Speaking of medical quirks, since when has "Murky Water" been a thing? I thought getting water from a well automatically purified it even if the source was a muddy pool. Apparently it has to be either running water or from a pool two-tiles deep, or you get this nasty crap that gives dwarves bad thoughts and increases the chances of infection if you use it to clean someone.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carsius posted:

You can, in fact, make bone traps and such at the boneyard, though they deal an insignificant amount of damage.

Do it anyway. So what if the individual traps do insignificant damage? Just make more of them! Sure, you might want a few real traps thrown in to ensure they don't actually live through your trap tunnel, or a military squad to kill them if they do, but "not enough damage" is a problem that will resolve itself if you just keep adding the bones of every slain enemy to the arsenal.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Nietzschean posted:

Do it anyway. So what if the individual traps do insignificant damage? Just make more of them! Sure, you might want a few real traps thrown in to ensure they don't actually live through your trap tunnel, or a military squad to kill them if they do, but "not enough damage" is a problem that will resolve itself if you just keep adding the bones of every slain enemy to the arsenal.

Having a lot of bones lying around is something you want to avoid anyway in Masterwork. loving Necromorphs. Doubly annoying because I didn't care for Dead Space, so having that dumb poo poo shoehorned in added insult to injury.

Triply annoying because the way you're "supposed" to solve the problem, Sacrificing a dwarf to Armok along with the Marker, didn't actually work for me due to a bug. So I had to sit there at 1 FPS while 300 of the little bastards came scuttling out of my bonehorde into the waiting arms of my military.

Henceforth, all corpses get a magma bath.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Vengarr posted:

I wish that was a DFhack option. Knock fools out so that they can be properly hauled to a bed.

Speaking of medical quirks, since when has "Murky Water" been a thing? I thought getting water from a well automatically purified it even if the source was a muddy pool. Apparently it has to be either running water or from a pool two-tiles deep, or you get this nasty crap that gives dwarves bad thoughts and increases the chances of infection if you use it to clean someone.

It's been like that for as long as I've played DF (0.31-ish) at least, so it's not exactly new. Stagnant water can only be purified by a pump I think.

"Water laced with mud", another contaminant, is fixed by using a deep well though (as it only applies if there's mud on the tile you take water from).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

I did something like this with falling rock traps (something like 300 in a 3x100 tunnel) and an interesting thing happened:
- It only killed a couple of the first goblin ambush that hit it
- The survivors were all highly skilled blockers/dodgers by the time they got to the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

I did something like this with falling rock traps (something like 300 in a 3x100 tunnel) and an interesting thing happened:
- It only killed a couple of the first goblin ambush that hit it
- The survivors were all highly skilled blockers/dodgers by the time they got to the end

I've heard something about really high falls on top of spear traps making the victims instantly legendary blockers or armor wearers, since the gained XP somehow scales with the astronomical amount of force inflicted. How heavy were those rocks?