Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
justincredible
Mar 26, 2014

just too incredible

Skuto posted:

Are you implying that "90% of high/low sec alliances" are *not* full of douches?

I will imply that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~
I'm trying to explain actual real-world MWD mechanics to Destiny, but it's not going well. He's got his head lodged pretty far up the rear end of an EFT graph.

I really hate reddit's site layout. Navigating a large thread is just, ugh.

Tolth posted:

If I have a decent command of math and a willingness to read reams of whatever, where should I start educating myself to get ahead of the average semi-experienced Eve player?

If you enjoy it, absolutely. Don't expect a ton of practical benefit up front though; most of the mathy stuff will only make sense once you've seen it in play. This is exactly the problem Destiny is having, except he's also a complete tool on top of being inexperienced.

mikey fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 31, 2014

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Skuto posted:

Are you implying that "90% of high/low sec alliances" are *not* full of douches?

Yeah, but they don't have Hoopz.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mikey posted:

I really hate reddit's site layout. Navigating a large thread is just, ugh.

Get Reddit Enhancement Suite, it makes it so :corsair:s who stare at old dusty forums like us can actually parse what the gently caress is happening in a discussion. Plain reddit is loving unreadable.

(Note: this will not make any of the opinions on reddit more valid)

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Oh my goodness, when it comes to BNI, the Draleth/AnnA departure is getting juicy. Apparently they were having council votes on whether or not other members of the council should be kicked off the Mumble server. :D

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bravenewbies/comments/21sleo/good_night_and_good_luck/cgg92y2

I logged on to my first BNI spy character tonight, and both corp and alliance chat were impressively confused and disheartened.

I'm actually genuinely sad about this. BNI used to be the only entity in Eve that even came close to doing stuff for newbies on the same scale as GSF. The fact that most of that newbie-friendly effort has largely stopped (or significantly dropped in quality), and that corp leadership has decayed into petty bickering and drama bombs, is seriously unfortunate.

fakeedit: Also, agreed on Reddit Enhancement Suite. It makes Reddit quite readable. (Although I spend most of my time in r/compsci and other fairly isolated subreddits.)

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

orange juche posted:

Get Reddit Enhancement Suite, it makes it so :corsair:s who stare at old dusty forums like us can actually parse what the gently caress is happening in a discussion. Plain reddit is loving unreadable.

ullerrm posted:

Also, agreed on Reddit Enhancement Suite. It makes Reddit quite readable. (Although I spend most of my time in r/compsci and other fairly isolated subreddits.)

I'll give it a try, this default poo poo is headache-inducing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ullerrm posted:

* Incompetent and only relevant due to diplomacy (half of null, esp in the north)
* Incompetent and only relevant due to pigheaded stubbornness (the other half of null, esp in the south)

I always get 'directions' (My English. :smith:) wrong in EVE. GSF lives in north-west?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

ullerrm posted:

Oh my goodness, when it comes to BNI, the Draleth/AnnA departure is getting juicy. Apparently they were having council votes on whether or not other members of the council should be kicked off the Mumble server. :D

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bravenewbies/comments/21sleo/good_night_and_good_luck/cgg92y2

I logged on to my first BNI spy character tonight, and both corp and alliance chat were impressively confused and disheartened.

I'm actually genuinely sad about this. BNI used to be the only entity in Eve that even came close to doing stuff for newbies on the same scale as GSF. The fact that most of that newbie-friendly effort has largely stopped (or significantly dropped in quality), and that corp leadership has decayed into petty bickering and drama bombs, is seriously unfortunate.

fakeedit: Also, agreed on Reddit Enhancement Suite. It makes Reddit quite readable. (Although I spend most of my time in r/compsci and other fairly isolated subreddits.)

That guy is beyond parody. "I ragequit because the council didn't immediately accept my proposal and considered a slightly different version of the same proposal first; however, I didn't delete the subreddit or disband the corp, so don't call me childish."

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

kalstrams posted:

I always get this wrong. GSF lives in North-West?

We are everywhere (but yes our sov is in the north west and the northern tippy top of Fountain. Check out/bookmark this map that's updated every like 24hrs:

I tried out relic sites today, blew up every good bit of loot because I had very little idea what I was doing, but from the rubble and the remains that I did manage to hack I made 40mil isk in an hour. Not that great of isk, but I'm happy with it seeing that I only have Archeology II :v:.

I'm stuck in Jita for the next 24hrs, what should I have hauled back to VFK to sell and make a bit of cash on?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tusen Takk posted:

We are everywhere (but yes our sov is in the north west and the northern tippy top of Fountain. Check out/bookmark this map that's updated every like 24hrs:

I tried out relic sites today, blew up every good bit of loot because I had very little idea what I was doing, but from the rubble and the remains that I did manage to hack I made 40mil isk in an hour. Not that great of isk, but I'm happy with it seeing that I only have Archeology II :v:.

I'm stuck in Jita for the next 24hrs, what should I have hauled back to VFK to sell and make a bit of cash on?

Yeah, this map I have seen. What got me about it yesterday was that my Ukrainian friend referred to AAA and their allies as to Northern Coalition and to xDeath and their allies as to Souther Coalition.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

kalstrams posted:

Yeah, this map I have seen. What got me about it yesterday was that my Ukrainian friend referred to AAA and their allies as to Northern Coalition and to xDeath and their allies as to Souther Coalition.

I think that comes from the days of old when -A- was in the north and xDeath was in the south, I don't really remember though.

Bagu
Mar 20, 2006

goodness posted:

We have the technology for lasers.
But not tracking objects in 3d space.

When targeted, your ship automatically projects coherent holograms across the em-spectrum to confuse the tracking systems of the enemy ship. The reason you don't see these holograms pointed at your tracking system is because you are viewing the battle from your camera drone.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
In a short aside, CCP Falcon posts a bit of lore to show that even NPC-corps are suffering thanks to capsuleers mining and refining all over New Eden.

The CEO of Ducia Foundry even mentions the battle of B-R5RB and the (player-) habit of transporting and refining cheap modules instead of raw minerals, that's just precious. :allears:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I wonder how much npc corps have in their wallet from the taxes they've collected from mission runners over the years.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kheldragar posted:

I wonder how much npc corps have in their wallet from the taxes they've collected from mission runners over the years.

Probably not as much as the amount paid out in bounties for pirate kills in null space. :v:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One would think that with so much TEST influence on BNI, they would recognize that outcries of "there are spies lowering morale," and, "we are totally not collapsing" while influential people flee the ship are signs that it is sinking. Ah, well.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

darth cookie posted:

Probably not as much as the amount paid out in bounties for pirate kills in null space. :v:

CONCORD pays those though, not the NPC corps.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Another interesting thing about the whole BNI drama is the general communication problem that exists even apart from not telling people what's going on. That reddit thread has 299 comments at the moment of writing, yet the thread Draleth opened on the official BNI forums has had a total of 8 replies, 2 of them his and one a copy-paste from reddit. (Did I mention they seem to never, ever check your API again after the initial check?) Part of their problem is that reddit seems to be their de-facto communication platform; yet reddit is entirely public and thus readable by anybody, which means anybody can also reply, participate, post lovely youtube videos or memes express their opinion etc.

I have to say though, I liked the expression "You are the mercury in my tuna", as I had never heard that before. :neckbeard:

edit:

reddit user shynkoen posted:

ok this is a crazy idea, but maybe your capital pilots are joining the wormhole corp, because its the only way to pay for their capitals without sov?
and tbh the high sp players are getting so little support in bni, its clear why they are leaving for other corps in the same alliance.
Brave Newbies doesn't give me ample opportunity to roll around in my money and fly my capital ships and fly super-difficult things on my 100m SP character. :qq:

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 31, 2014

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hollow Talk posted:

Brave Newbies doesn't give me ample opportunity to roll around in my money and fly my capital ships and fly super-difficult things on my 100m SP character. :qq:

People have been fooled by equally obvious things in the past; for example, I used to be very disheartened that Theta Squad could not and would not form a home defense harpy fleet (and then Asher Elias burst on the scene and whipped everyone into shape and I don't even know anymore).

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Nietzschean posted:

One would think that with so much TEST influence on BNI, they would recognize that outcries of "there are spies lowering morale," and, "we are totally not collapsing" while influential people flee the ship are signs that it is sinking. Ah, well.

Honestly spying on BNI seems like a giant waste of time unless you are awoxing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nietzschean posted:

People have been fooled by equally obvious things in the past; for example, I used to be very disheartened that Theta Squad could not and would not form a home defense harpy fleet (and then Asher Elias burst on the scene and whipped everyone into shape and I don't even know anymore).

The problem there is that 1/3rd of the people on mumble have you muted. And you're often on at odd hours.

Amyclas
Mar 9, 2013

Would null-sec mining be as lucrative as say, high-sec incursions, with regards to the new mineral changes?

Calidar
Mar 23, 2014

Amyclas posted:

Would null-sec mining be as lucrative as say, high-sec incursions, with regards to the new mineral changes?

I doubt it, incursions make stupid isk, and then you've got to factor in the logistics of getting your stuff into/out of null. If you have a jump freighter and can compress the ore yourself then maybe. Wouldn't be sure though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Amyclas posted:

No, with a caveat.

Mining is almost infinitely scaleable. As long as you have a market for the minerals or ice, you directly benefit and increase your profit/hr by throwing more accounts at the problem. I think the magic number is 7-10+, before it really becomes better than ratting or other forms of income, due to it being easier to manage at that level.

Blawrf
Oct 10, 2009

Hi, I'm Blawrf, and you can dock in my station anytime~~

Rowwr
I was just reminded of the time TEST human resources accepted the character Papajohns Dominos to the alliance and were then shocked, shocked I tell you, when Papajohns Dominos turned out to be a PIZZA awoxer.

Perhaps one of my favourite moments in this game ever.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Blawrf posted:

I was just reminded of the time TEST human resources accepted the character Papajohns Dominos to the alliance and were then shocked, shocked I tell you, when Papajohns Dominos turned out to be a PIZZA awoxer.

Perhaps one of my favourite moments in this game ever.

Nice to see that TEST so consistently displayed the level of competence that has made them legendary.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I am never uninstalling this game again, it's going to take me forever to get my overview back to normal.
I'm surprised at how pretty they've made the login screen and jumpgate animations though. On that note, I've done the full procedure a few days ago and just thrown my application in, can someone give me a good coordinate in null for me to start heading towards?

fakeedit: Ahahahahaha, some random that apparently had killrights on me activated it 6 months ago for 100mil. What a waste, I wasn't even subbed

realedit: hosed up some spelling

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 31, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Skuto posted:

CONCORD pays those though, not the NPC corps.

I wanted to say, "but the NPC corps have to pay the mission-runners", then I remembered the shitload of money mission-runners have to pay back through the LP-shops. So yeah, the NPC corps, at least the popular ones, should have a ton of money thanks to capsuleers saving the damsel again and again. The Sisters of Eve should be rich enough to be a major faction by now, if you think this through to the end. :v:

Edit:

The BPOs are also sold by NPC corps, so every time a BPO is destroyed, the corps selling the BPO should send the ganker a nice thank-you note.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 31, 2014

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tusen Takk posted:

Failing that, I do the TheMittani.com Nullsec recap vids each month so you can find out about useless information that happens in Nullsec :v:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

hemophilia posted:

The upcoming expansion will feature an overhaul of how reprocessing works or something like that. What little I understand about it makes me gather it's going to bring hi-sec refining in line with what you can do in nullsec.

This was from a while ago, but this is not what's happening. The reprocessing change is giving nullsec a massive buff in reprocessing efficiency, and making GBS threads on highsec in the same breath.

Currently, perfect refines are available everywhere in highsec and lowsec at 50% efficiency refineries, at a minimum of skill training (two low-rank skills to 5.) Minmatar outposts in nullsec can also get perfect refines after upgrading to T1 and achieving 40% efficiency, but the skill premium is much higher.

After the change, perfect refines are no longer attainable. However, the amounts of minerals in ore is being adjusted so that in highsec, if you have absolute perfect skills and the best implant, the amount of minerals you get from refining today are the same as what you'd get now with a minimum of skills and no implant. Then, on top of this, they are adjusting the upgrades for outposts so that Minmatar outposts start at 52%, and climb to 60% efficiency. (Non-Minmatar outposts start at 50%, and climb to 57% at Tier 3 upgrades.) CCP is also repurposing POS refinery arrays so that they afford 52% in highsec, and 54% in lowsec. (Currently, these modules ignore player skills, but CCP has recognized that this is kinda bullshit and is going to attempt to solve the technical debt issues that prevent POS modules from taking skills into account.)

The upside of this change is that refining the same ore in a Tier 3 Minmatar outpost in nullsec nets 20% more minerals than doing it in highsec. This number is contingent on having all fives in the relevant reprocessing skills and the specific ore skill.

As an aside, CCP is also kneecaping scrap metal refines to 50-55% of the current value. Scrap metal refines also ignore the boosted outpost efficiencies, so it's equal everywhere. This move kills module compression. To compensate, CCP is tweaking the compression ratios of compressed ore, removing the blueprints, and making the compression service available via POS module.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I still wanna know whats going to happen to alchemy. Perfect refine is kinda what makes it tick.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Elmnt80 posted:

I still wanna know whats going to happen to alchemy. Perfect refine is kinda what makes it tick.

Alchemy will now need a new PI-material called "Alchemist". You can harvest them only on temperate planets.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Elmnt80 posted:

From the update today:

quote:

Unrefined Alchemy materials have been boosted by 81.81% next to TQ values to account for the 45% reprocessing nerf (since it's neither ore and ice, it doesn't benefit from reprocessing skills, only scrapmetal processing)

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4418887#post4418887

Better start training Scrapmetal Reprocessing to 5 now.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'm really interested to see what this does to markets. I'm sure a bunch of meta items are going to crash hard, but I'm not sure how ships and t2 items will do. Will this make things cheaper overall?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Famethrowa posted:

I'm really interested to see what this does to markets. I'm sure a bunch of meta items are going to crash hard, but I'm not sure how ships and t2 items will do. Will this make things cheaper overall?

It's kinda hard to say, really. The change is adding a whole lot more steps in the process of turning asteroid clods into ships.

One thing that will definitely happen is that ships and modules will no longer track the mineral market as closely. Right now, (most) ships and modules can be freely converted back to minerals when a mineral spikes, and in fact there is a cottage industry (mostly done by market bots) in buying up underpriced ships/modules, refining them, and selling the minerals at a profit. With the scrap metal kneecapping, this is much less possible, barring swings of 50% or more in the value of a ship. The change overall will make ships and modules much more vulnerable to manipulation, and, in turn, price swings.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The one thing it will definitely kill is the kind of balance speculation that we saw during many earlier ship balancing passes, and which they tried to avoid throughout the tiercide process by adding extra materials.

The scrapmetal reprocessing nerf means that they can now alter ship composition pretty significantly without creating a situation where you can conjure minerals out of thin air by buying (or building) before a patch and reprocess it afterwards. As such, while it will not remove patch speculation, it should significantly alter the nature of it. Since component cost and product cost won't track as closely, the shifts from old prices to new ones should be at the same time both more smooth and more rapid: the prices will trend towards the new prices a lot sooner and there is no reprocessing available to counter that change, and there is less value in stockpiling, so old prices will not stick around as long.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CainFortea posted:

The problem there is that 1/3rd of the people on mumble have you muted. And you're often on at odd hours.

Neither of these were true at the time, during the Fountain Campaign.

And as stated, Asher Elias has succeeded where I previously failed. Yay for him. :unsmith:

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son
e: I guess I am a bit of a dickhead

Stereo fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 31, 2014

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Nietzschean posted:

Neither of these were true at the time, during the Fountain Campaign.

And as stated, Asher Elias has succeeded where I previously failed. Yay for him. :unsmith:

Revisionist history ITT

You had absolutely nothing to do with Theta adopting Harpies. Harpies weren't even a thing until half-way through the Fountain war when they replaced Wolf Fleet. Once they became GSF fleet doctrine, people started training them, so we use them.

When Fountain was over, you came back and started mining and narrating your game on Mumble. This is why 1/3 of the people in Theta keep you muted now. Well, that and nearly getting us all thrown out of JU- because you are an insufferable twat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You know what I like to do?

I like to name my ships after their common mispronunciations just to get people riled up. For instance, "Anna Theema" the Anathema, "Zeelot" the Zealot, and "Abba Dawn" the Abaddon. That last one is a W.I.P. but that's just because I have not yet figured out a reason to own and fly an Abaddon. :smith:

...and for when there isn't a common mispronunciation, one can always fall back on the trusty name "LemonTime's Noctis" :eng101:

• Locked thread