Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
A 14 kilometer asteroid is still a civilization-ender. It's at least on the same order as the Chicxulub impactor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Leper Colon V posted:

I don't know what Gundam I'm going to watch after this. The only other one I've ever seen start-to-finish is G Gundam. I'd been considering either 08 or finally watching Wing, but the fandom for the latter has driven me away for the better part of two decades. Maybe I'll start with Mobile Suit Gundam and move my way forward? But which ones do I watch, then? I don't have nearly enough free time to watch all of them.

Watch Turn A Gundam, unless you really want a traditional Gundam show. If free time is a factor you can get away with Mobile Suit Gundam movies > Zeta Gundam (TV series, NOT MOVIES) > Char's Counterattack.

Or just watch 0080 and 8th MS Team OAV's, they're both pretty good.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

This is something I've been wondering for a while, what are the right arm and head that Reiji puts on the Star Build Strike during the end credits from?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Man this show is so good and fun to watch. It's nice to watch a show so utterly devoid of cynicism the way Build Fighters is. There are so many fist pump moments over the entire run I can't even count them all. Cannot wait for next week's episode.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TARDISman posted:

This is something I've been wondering for a while, what are the right arm and head that Reiji puts on the Star Build Strike during the end credits from?

Left arm is a Hygogg arm, lower torso/legs is Guntank treads, head is a Den'an Zon head from F91, right arm is an Agg arm from MSV.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The Agg was where I was completely lost. I kinda figured that the head was from F91 since it wasn't bug eyed like Victory and grunt suits from the other timelines are pretty distinctive compared to UC.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Levantine posted:

Man this show is so good and fun to watch. It's nice to watch a show so utterly devoid of cynicism the way Build Fighters is. There are so many fist pump moments over the entire run I can't even count them all. Cannot wait for next week's episode.

I can, because I know what comes after next episode, and it's a very depressing thought: absolutely nothing.

There's the cynism of this series, it ends. Man I will miss Gundam Build Fighters. I find it hard to think of Gundam series I've enjoyed more.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Since the preview shows Sei and Reiji already piloting their suits that can only mean that the 1:1 Gundam and Zaku will be piloted by Sei's Dad in the RX-78 and Ral in the Zaku. :dance: Monday can't come soon enough.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm not sure how they decided on Ramba Ral for this show but I'm so glad they did. He is just perfect.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I'm really hoping he meets Crowley sometime in the next episode so he gets to have the happiest ending :3:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Broken Loose posted:

I'm really hoping he meets Crowley sometime in the next episode so he gets to have the happiest ending :3:

I don't even want him to meet Her. Just have her call him from home, wondering if he's okay after the big fight. Dude should already have the happy ending.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Last episode after credits fight where he eats Sei and Reiji alive in a Gouf Custom. Have it turn out that Ral is a three times World Champion.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Not a Gouf, a Blue Dom. gently caress you M'Queve.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Actually having a fight between Ral and Sazaki in the background would be a wonderful thing to have during an epilogue where it shows what Sei and Reiji are up to after the tournament.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Man, given there's an MG of the Build Strike Full Package and one of the Universe Booster but not a single kit for the Star Build, I really hope that they release a kit with a load of tiny effect parts for all of the plavsky gate shenanigans in this episode.

And a DM Exia sword too.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

One more episode to go. :unsmith:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I'm marathon rewatching the whole series in preparation for episode 25. Baker and Mashita are both silhouetted as the founders of Gunpla battle, and the old guy running Aila's team has a picture of his grandson on his desk when first introduced. Amusing enough details on rewatch. Tem Ray's circuit is still the best though.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Zedd posted:

One more episode to go. :unsmith:

So long as they stick the landing Build Fighters will go down as my favorite Gundam series to date.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

McTimmy posted:

Tem Ray's circuit is still the best though.

Wait, where is this?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

Wait, where is this?

Episode 16. It's on the desk in the background only about 20 seconds in.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

McTimmy posted:

Episode 16. It's on the desk in the background only about 20 seconds in.

Ugh, duh. :doh: It didn't help that I was laughing my rear end off during that whole scene. I'd have missed a car hitting my house at that point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ugh. Taking out Aila and China like that really kind of solidified my opinion on this show and female characters. loving pathetic. Miss Sazabi got literally *one attack*.

Edit: Episode 25 spoilers, sorry.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 31, 2014

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
poo poo, that's Episode 25 spoilers. Whoops.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

BF is over, and that sucks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's not on the Gundam Youtube page yet, is it?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

No, it only finished airing in Japan a few minutes ago.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spoilery thoughts now that it is done.

It was a good show but not a great show. They didn't really have time to develop a lot of stuff and a bunch of characters got thrown to the side. It really shows in the last episode where they clearly were trying to shoehorn in as many units as possible.

It really is not a show that is good about female characters, at least when it comes to their roles as combatants. Kirara probably came off the best there, ironically. Aila getting either mind-controlled or effortlessly owned really devalued the buildup they gave her, although she did well outside of the actual battle scenes. China was by far the worst and basically existed to Iori-kuuuun.

Despite that I really appreciated how it subverted the usual Gundam tragedy. Reiji and Aila were cute and I'm glad they got a Happy Ending. Frankly most of the couples were cute, aside from Mao and Misaki who were just kind of tiring or boring. The plot was barely-there but the characterization was mostly pretty good. Kirara was pretty obviously rewritten after her initial appearance but it generally worked out for the best so I can't complain.

Sei's entire plotline was kind of a fizzle. He just... kind of becomes a better pilot without us ever seeing him train or practice. The show tries to tell us that it's because of the trial-by-fire of the Gunpla World Championships but Sei's problem was never lack of knowledge, it was that he was a lovely pilot with bad reaction times. Yet when the time comes, he's basically fighting like an ace and it makes the ending being "Sei pilots on his own" feel ill-earned because... why? It's a shame because it isn't a bad plotline in theory they just had no time to develop it. He just ends up being good because he loves Gunpla so much he was actually lovely!

The fights were mostly good but there were some real duds. That's still a big step up from the last few Gundam shows so I can't complain there and the best fights it had were helluva memorable.

Certainly the most consistently good Gundam show in years which is admittedly some drat faint praise but it's true. Considering it is a glorified toy commercial even by Gundam standards, that's either really impressive for BF or really sad for the rest of the franchise.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 31, 2014

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Final Episode's out. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/ZTGoBVP9Q_k

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh my god, The Chinan kick :allears:

aers posted:

BF is over, and that sucks.

[timg]http://mana.nori.jp/i/20140331093150228.png[timg]

What was the image link meant to be, out of curiosity?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ImpAtom posted:

Certainly the most consistently good Gundam show in years which is admittedly some drat faint praise but it's true. Considering it is a glorified toy commercial even by Gundam standards, that's either really impressive for BF or really sad for the rest of the franchise.
I mostly agree with this, but there's something bugging me about how it turned out that I can't quite put my finger on.

Edit Part of it is that literally every female character existed to be paired off with a male character, but there's more bothering me about it than that. Yeah, the 'Sei is suddenly good enough to match Yuuki' asspull, and the complete lack of a real antagonist are pretty big issues, but it's something more fundamental than that.

Edit2 Thinking about it, I think the best way I can come up with to articulate it is that the ending felt very... hollow. Not just paint-by-numbers, but lacking in the spirit of what actually made GBF so enjoyable. Like a committee had filled out a list of checkboxes for Obligatory Anime Ending Cliches, designed the last episode, and handed it off to the team to animate. Especially the "oh, no, Reiji's not going home because that'd be a stupid, cliche grab to make the ending more bittersweet- OH WAIT". Jesus Christ, I'm actually kind of getting mad about that now that I think about it. Still an above-average show, but the ending was weak enough that I wouldn't feel nearly as good about recommending the series as I did this time last week.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 31, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Leper Colon V posted:

I mostly agree with this, but there's something bugging me about how it turned out that I can't quite put my finger on.

Edit Part of it is that literally every female character existed to be paired off with a male character, but there's more bothering me about it than that. Yeah, the 'Sei is suddenly good enough to match Yuuki' asspull, and the complete lack of a real antagonist are pretty big issues, but it's something more fundamental than that.

There's very little character development. Kirara and Nils are basically the only characters to have any significant character arcs aside from Sei's "you love Gunpla TOO MUCH' thing at the end. It's a very static show with a very static cast. Sei kind of changes by the end in that he's more confident, but that's kind of foisted upon you instead of being a natural character growth. Everyone else is basically the same except sometimes they love Gunpla a little more and the boyfriends are paired up with the girlfriends.

It leaves the ending feeling a little blah because it ends like a show where characters have more significant development but they kind of don't, so giving it this big emotional "Reiji goes home and Sei grows up" ending feels off for a show which is 25 22-minute storylines about how you should buy plastic model kits because of how great they are. It feels like the final episode, instead of embracing the "Gundam sure is great" stuff the show was really about, tries to actually go back to the plot the show put on the backburner for the last 20 episodes.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 31, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I found the ending pretty satisfying, but then again the show basically ended last episode with the end of the tournament and this episode was largely just trying up things that they didn't need to bother to tie up. I do appreciate one final Gundam fanservice explosion before this beautiful Gundam show fades into the night.

Every girl in the show was paired off, but I don't agree that most of them existed solely for their Designated Boyfriend. China was largely a non-character who existed to Iori-kuuuuuuun after her Bearguy episode(which was itself an Iori-kuuuuuun), but Aila, Kirara, and Rinko were actual characters whose romantic relationships were only a part of them rather than an all-consuming whole. Caroline and Baker didn't really get enough screen time to actually be characters.

Sei's learning to be a pilot arc is something that could have been expanded on greatly and is the weakest part of the ending. I don't think Sei actually becoming a good fighter over the course of the tournament is at all implausible but they failed pretty hard to show it happening in real time and it feels bad/awkward because there's no indication he's improving over time. I think the "Reiji busts his wrist" episode was a huge wasted opportunity for this; instead of having Sei win a bunch of mini-games and be carried through a battle by Mao, they could have easily put him up against a Cziommer-level opponent and had him muddle his way through with Reiji's assistance so we got a visible midpoint between "Loses effortlessly to Sazaki" and "Can match the two best Fighters in the entire world in single combat". They could have easily cut the F91 episode to fit this in and the show would have lost absolutely nothing.

For overall quality, I have no real complaints with any of the big ones besides the Mao one which was just generally lazy and the F91 one which was both a bit pointless and out of left field. Even those two were mostly aggressively mediocre rather than actually bad and either of them would fit into a normal Gundam series's battle/animation quality effortlessly, they mostly just look bad in this show due to the extremely high bar set by the Zaku Amazing fight, the Star Build/Fenice fight, the K9 fight, and the Dark Matter fight.

Overall this is easily the best Gundam show as a complete product since Turn A, which is a loving brilliant achievement for a totally unashamed toy commercial.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
One of the things that Build Fighters has consistently been good about that I really like is that the show never allows you to forget that they're playing with toys on a model board. The last episode had Reiji and Sei flying over to reattach their arm mid fight, for example.

That in mind, it was kinda jarring to see Sei and Reiji refusing to leave China and Aila's broken Gunpla behind because... they're really well made, I guess?

Agreeing with those who say Sei's development as a fighter felt rushed and incomplete, and it's a bit of a sour note because that's a thing that they try to hang the emotional impact of the ending on. It'd be better if Sei was just sad that he's losing a friend.

Overall though, it's been a fun ride with amazing fights, a bunch of characters that are interesting to watch, and an excellent OST. Would gladly recommend this to anyone who wants a fun show to watch.

Dat Chinan Kick.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I won't be home for another 5 hours, but I need to know one thing.
Do the Plavsky Wings show up? :colbert:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zedd posted:

I won't be home for another 5 hours, but I need to know one thing.
Do the Plavsky Wings show up? :colbert:

The discharge system is still trashed from the Dark Matter battle so no.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Balls, I loved seeing that system. So Shiny

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think we all know the true disappointment of the final episode.

The statues never moved :sigh:

My only real gripe with the series as a whole is the Build Strike wasn't all that visually interesting compared to just about everything else (The RG and Plavsky Gate systems were pretty awesome though). It never really sold the idea that the Build Strike is meant to be something finely-crafted and special when the only changes are the shoulders taken from the Strike Freedom and a different head. Especially when you compare it to every other gunpla in the series taking an existing design and building something far more unique off of it. And when it comes time to upgrade it with Sei apparently having gained some new insight into creativity... he just makes a new smaller backpack for the same kit. It's especially egregious when you get to the end-run of the series and see Mao, Fellini and even Aila having made something very different to their original gunpla.

edit:

I also agree Sei could've used a middling victory somewhere mid-season to show he was gradually improving. For argument's sake, perhaps using a rental kit in a for-fun battle just to give the hint that his problem is he cares to much about his stuff.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 31, 2014

Wilde Jagd
Jan 2, 2014

by XyloJW
I definitely agree with the previous posts about the ending. I would've preferred bittersweet ending where Reiji is gone and Sei loses a friend, but it's not that big of a deal. I could buy the entire Sei becomes a better fighter, but again, having a midpoint mid-series would've been more effective. But then again, the characters are quite flat regardless.

If Turn A was a masterful exhibition of the themes of Gundam, then Build Fighters is a an exhibition of the mecha-toy-commercial aspect of Gundam.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
We didn't see the giant Gundam and Zaku move, but we did get Ramba Ral in a Gouf and Mao's sensei in the Master Gundam and I pretty much lost it at that point.

Also, it looks like Reiji does indeed live on a space colony... that's definitely a cylinder.

I kinda want Build fighters season 2 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

We didn't see the giant Gundam and Zaku move, but we did get Ramba Ral in a Gouf and Mao's sensei in the Master Gundam and I pretty much lost it at that point.

Also, it looks like Reiji does indeed live on a space colony... that's definitely a cylinder.

I kinda want Build fighters season 2 now.

I was kinda laughing and yelling stuff at my screen during most of the final battle, admittedly the ending was kinda a letdown but Reiji and Aila ended up together so I really can't complain that much, since they were probably the most entertaining Gundam love story since Domon and Rain.

• Locked thread