Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Akbar posted:

How are there so many goalies in this thread?

Goons are fat and can't play proper positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Akbar posted:

Goons hate to run.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Akbar posted:

Goons love catching balls.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Akbar posted:

Fat kids who always got picked last? Yeah thats a goon.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Akbar posted:

You think this is something, you should see the playing hockey thread that is (was?) in SAS I think it was 99% goalies lol

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

vaginal culture posted:

You think this is something, you should see the playing hockey thread that is (was?) in SAS I think it was 99% goalies lol

It got so bad that they created a separate thread just for goalies.

Personally I think it's our natural craziness as keepers that draws us to this forum in the first place.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
nope its cause your fat

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I was a striker my whole life until I played in a co-ed league where you had to field a certain number of girls, so most teams played a female in goal so they could have an extra guy in the outfield. We had no girls who wouldn't close their eyes when the ball came at them, so I ended up playing in goal and found out I could throw the ball the length of the 5 a side field and get cheap assists.

We beat a lot of teams with girls in goal this way and it was good. Then when we got up by enough I'd come out and play up top and sometimes get a goal and hell, I loved it.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I hate running and love diving at striker's feet and scaring the poo poo out of them.

e: also overweight, though I never played goal when I was younger, picked it up recently

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I made a grown man cry tonight :feelsgood:

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
playing futsal tonight with a side that hasn't played together in 5 years (we stopped being students and got jobs elsewhere).

should be good fun for the first 5mins, and then the competitive blood will boil and everyone will be chewing each other out.

looking forward to it, if the rain doesn't prevent us from getting on the pitch.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Akbar posted:

It's bizarre to me, mostly because the way we do 5-a-side, we switch goalie every time a team concedes. We've never even had a player who straight up prefers playing goalie.

Then again, our standard is such that an hour long game usually ends up in the 20 goals to each team kind of bracket so maybe its just everyone trying to be the first to score a hat trick.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Ramagamma posted:

It's bizarre to me, mostly because the way we do 5-a-side, we switch goalie every time a team concedes. We've never even had a player who straight up prefers playing goalie.

Then again, our standard is such that an hour long game usually ends up in the 20 goals to each team kind of bracket so maybe its just everyone trying to be the first to score a hat trick.

Yeah this is my exact experience, I only know one person who wants to be a goalie

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah, I've never played in fives with a dedicated goalie. Sometimes a fat guy will be in goal for longer than he's outfield, but not permanently.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So, got the stitches out today. I was thinking trying to do keeps ups and passing would help recuperate me and be ready for football when I get fully healed in a few months. Anyone else have any ideas? I've never been good at keeps ups, but I was thinking it would help my movement, build strength and improve touch. I'd only do the right leg really, then do the left when I get surgery and recover from that.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Keepy ups are fun to do but I don't really think they'll improve your touch that much. You'd be better off playing passes off a wall or something. I have been doing a lot of keepy ups lately to try and help with my knee stability, though.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Soulex posted:

So, got the stitches out today. I was thinking trying to do keeps ups and passing would help recuperate me and be ready for football when I get fully healed in a few months. Anyone else have any ideas? I've never been good at keeps ups, but I was thinking it would help my movement, build strength and improve touch. I'd only do the right leg really, then do the left when I get surgery and recover from that.

Dear god, man. Let your flesh finish healing before you start throwing your limbs about. Probably the fewer explosive movements the better. Just pass against a wall.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

vaginal culture posted:

I was a striker my whole life until I played in a co-ed league where you had to field a certain number of girls, so most teams played a female in goal so they could have an extra guy in the outfield. We had no girls who wouldn't close their eyes when the ball came at them, so I ended up playing in goal and found out I could throw the ball the length of the 5 a side field and get cheap assists.

We beat a lot of teams with girls in goal this way and it was good. Then when we got up by enough I'd come out and play up top and sometimes get a goal and hell, I loved it.

So your team played with a girl in goal too?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Akbar posted:

Dear god, man. Let your flesh finish healing before you start throwing your limbs about. Probably the fewer explosive movements the better. Just pass against a wall.

Oh no. All in moderation. I can stand up for about 15 minutes a t a time now, so when the muscles heal better I want to do my own physical therapy along with the one. I have to do.

Football is an important part of my life. And. I want to get back into it

As an example. I used to skateboard and ended up doing a 5-0 on a handrail. Well, my buddy, who did not know that lots of wax = bad over waxed the rail. I got on, was grinding, then slipped and smashed my arm on the bar. The total damage was 5 compound fractures in my left forearm simultaneously, bone sticking out and passing out on my arm as I ran toward a car trying to call 911. 2 plates and 16 screws later I am deathly afraid of rails. My mind rejects trying to get on them and I bail. To rehabilitate my arm, I started to play drums. Since. I did not have physical therapy, I do not have full range of motion in my left arm. Trying to hold my palms flat look like this \ ___ so drums improved strength, mobility and range. That's my reasoning and theory.

It's a good thing I'm not OCD. I have a scar on my fore leg, soon to be both, and my left fore arm.

THEY ALL HAVE TO MATCH! :negative:

ShaggiusPrime
Aug 30, 2005
Kill my boss, dare I live out the American dream?
So I've recently moved to Guatemala and have joined a couple of league teams, it's been interesting to see how much more seriously these leagues are taken compared to the US. To sign up for a team you need to go to the league office in person and sign a form with a passport sized picture of yourself. Then when you play you have a ID card if you're a sub and you have to go and give it to the ref. I asked many times, "Can't I just show up and play?" but no, you need to have signed your name and have your little card. This is a country where over 90% of murders in the capital city aren't even investigated, and in general you can do whatever the gently caress you want; but playing in a rec league without signing at the league office, impossible.

Anyways one of the teams I play with is the local gringo team. I've played twice we them now, and we've won mainly because our opponents are on average 5'5" and 110 pounds. Today was probably one of my favorite soccer experiences I've ever had. Since this is small town Guatemala, there's gently caress all else to do on a Sunday afternoon, so there was a small crowd watching our game against the current top team in the league. They went up 1 - 0 on a free kick that our keeper bobbled and then jumped back on top of right as it was on the line, he swears it didn't cross the line but the goal was given. Cue entire team surrounding ref and ref pulling out a yellow card for the everyone I guess? Slowly but surely we work up to a 4 - 1 lead (and were not given a goal clearly crossed the line after bouncing over the cross bar), and I played decently after being absolute poo poo the week before. It may just be a rec league in a small town in Guatemala, the people watching may have been there because there is gently caress else to do, but drat winning that game felt good :getin:

Also I've rarely played 11v11 (only on 1 team that was horrible and lost every game that season) and realize I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing and where I should be. I'm playing as a left-side midfielder. I try to provide some cover for the left back defensively and try to push forward on attack...that's about the extent of my knowledge of tactics. Also I'm right footed and my left is poo poo so I can't cross. I'm just used to 6v6 where everyone basically just runs around does whatever gently caress they want.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Akbar posted:

Using your feet in sport is unamercian

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Akbar posted:

Because the worst player always has to play in goal

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

ShaggiusPrime posted:

Also I've rarely played 11v11 (only on 1 team that was horrible and lost every game that season) and realize I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing and where I should be. I'm playing as a left-side midfielder. I try to provide some cover for the left back defensively and try to push forward on attack...that's about the extent of my knowledge of tactics. Also I'm right footed and my left is poo poo so I can't cross.

Moyesey sign him up

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

That's pretty much your role as a wide midfielder, just get forward when your team has the ball, and help your fullback when you don't (typically you should be tracking the opposition fullback). While tactically it's a straightforward enough position, in reality it's one of the most difficult to play because you have to be up and down the pitch all the time.

If you can't cross with your left, you should really practice with it. Otherwise, you'll be always cutting in on your right, and you'll be incredibly easy to read and defend against.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

If you're playing against Bad Defenders try to create space by attempting to draw defenders out of position, which will give your left back a lot of space out to run in and you a chance to drift in centrally with your stronger foot if you've got the ball. In defence be sure to support the left back, don't let him get outrunned or outnumbered and don't get caught ballwatching.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

That's pretty much your role as a wide midfielder, just get forward when your team has the ball, and help your fullback when you don't (typically you should be tracking the opposition fullback). While tactically it's a straightforward enough position, in reality it's one of the most difficult to play because you have to be up and down the pitch all the time.

If you can't cross with your left, you should really practice with it. Otherwise, you'll be always cutting in on your right, and you'll be incredibly easy to read and defend against.

My coach wanted me as a fullback and it sucked. Luckily we okayed with a proper winger so I was able to stay further back. It'll get you in shape pretty fast though. But I played on the right and am right footed so it worked well for the most part. If I played on the left, which I did sometimes, I really just played as a really wide centerback. I can pass with my left, but I can't cross with it. I can't shoot with it. It sucks, but it's something I'm working on.

Also, I know it sounds weird, but I prefer to shoot with the outside of my foot. Does that make me weird?

I really can't wait to play again.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Soulex posted:

Also, I know it sounds weird, but I prefer to shoot with the outside of my foot. Does that make me weird?

No, it makes you Tomas Rosicky and he's awesome so keep it up.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
I prefer to do the same, you can get shots off quicker and still with decent power

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
toe poking is the best shooting technique

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Charlotte Hornets posted:

toe poking is the best shooting technique

I got yelled at all the time for doing that. I didn't know how to cross so I'd toe poke it instead until coach showed me how to properly cross. Every time he heard that "PLONK" he'd start screaming at them. He also yelled at me for passing with my knee, but I never missed my target :shrug:

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Soulex posted:

He also yelled at me for passing with my knee, but I never missed my target :shrug:

This sounds highly impractical.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

ephex posted:

This sounds highly impractical.

It worked. It was only on clearances from the defenders on the other team. I used my knee instead of my head or trapping it. I wasn't on all fours trying to pass the ball.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Soulex posted:

It worked. It was only on clearances from the defenders on the other team. I used my knee instead of my head or trapping it. I wasn't on all fours trying to pass the ball.

It's really important to use your head in football tho.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ephex posted:

I'm trying to think of the height of a ball where your two options are head it or hit it with your knee.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Shrapnig posted:

I'm trying to think of the height of a ball where your two options are head it or hit it with your knee.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

ephex posted:

Yup, I do now. Inexperience really, I wasn't afraid of hitting the ball with my head, I just saw the ball heading towards my crotch place and decided to use a knee instead of a knob.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Soulex posted:

Yup, I do now. Inexperience really, I wasn't afraid of hitting the ball with my head, I just saw the ball heading towards my crotch place and decided to use a knee instead of a knob.
In that instance, it's better to use the inside of your leg to control it first, unless you're being closed down and won't have time. If that's the case, you can either adjust your body to shield the ball, or pass it with your foot* (lift your leg up, obviously). Or do your weird knee-pass.

* There are training drills you can do to practice this technique, but you'd probably need someone to throw the ball to you. Unless you use a wall or something.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 31, 2014

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
Outdoor season is here finally and I'm playing 11vs11 and apparently this year the team wants me to move from my usual holding midfield/destroyer role into a centrehalf because both of our starting CBs hosed off and moved on to bigger and better things. I'm only 1.82m tall and I was wondering if there was any specific things I should be working on because the first team we are playing has a massive 2m tall striker originally from Africa. I know I am probably going to lose out on every single aerial battle but I also am worried about his strength, I'm not the strongest player on the pitch. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to disrupt his game? I already have decided I'm going to do my usual dirty player tactics, step on his feet during set pieces to prevent him from jumping, give him the occasional "accidental" jab in the ribs when fighting for a ball in the air and that type of thing, but aside from being a dirty oval office is there anything like I should be working on to not embarrass myself on the pitch?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

Outdoor season is here finally
I was going to accuse you of being some beta who won't play football outside because it's a bit cold and wet out, but I remembered you live in the US now. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
Playing football when it's -10°C and snowing sounds cool and manly as hell but in fact, it isn't and is absolute shite.