Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I dunno, I think a big part of why conservatives aren't funny is because of their ideological restrictions on acknowledging reality and requirement to fight the culture war, which was lost years ago and makes them unable to relate to anyone under the age of 35 outside of fundamentalist Christians. If you insist on operating in a bubble you can't relate to people outside of the bubble. Then add the fact that Republican economic ideology is opposed to the interests of 90% of the population, and it's easy to see why nobody thinks they're funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

computer parts posted:

If #2 happened to Jeff Lebowski I could laugh at it.

Agreed. "Oh... man...?"

Jeff Lebowski is the hero of the movie. He always comes out on top, and we know - if Jeffrey Lebowski is splashed with mud - that he will somehow prevail.

Same with Charlie Chaplain.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Pohl posted:

They gave me pot and beer and they love me, which cracks me up because I'm a loving Sociologist. Nobody likes us. I was having a hard time deciding whether I should hang out with them again, when I realized that I like free drugs. They also let me talk, a lot. And they seem to be fascinated by what I have to say. I don't think that they have ever in their lives been exposed to a crazy leftist like me. That is when I realized that this could be interesting.

Edit: holy poo poo this sounds like a Hustler or Playboy write in story. Haha.

Typical liberal.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
This isn't even really a joke, but more of an actual attitude that a lot of Conservative have to Environmentalism and it's a really dangerous attitude. A lot of vegans I know are of the mindset that, yeah, it's fine if you're eating meat, but for the love of God, eat less because the amount of meat we're consuming is ridiculous and not very sustainable. Like, even if everyone cutback to eating meat only a few times a week, that would be a big deal. But for Conservatives, people saying we should eat less meat are only crazies who want animals to be treated the same as humans. They've constructed a strawman with select arguments that they've already debunked and have decided there really isn't any limit to how much meat you can eat. They invalidate any sort of effort to take care of the environment or any responsibility to the world around you.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Wasn't it three animals in the original joke?

Uppin' the ante! :clint:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Timeless Appeal posted:

This isn't even really a joke, but more of an actual attitude that a lot of Conservative have to Environmentalism and it's a really dangerous attitude. A lot of vegans I know are of the mindset that, yeah, it's fine if you're eating meat, but for the love of God, eat less because the amount of meat we're consuming is ridiculous and not very sustainable. Like, even if everyone cutback to eating meat only a few times a week, that would be a big deal. But for Conservatives, people saying we should eat less meat are only crazies who want animals to be treated the same as humans. They've constructed a strawman with select arguments that they've already debunked and have decided there really isn't any limit to how much meat you can eat. They invalidate any sort of effort to take care of the environment or any responsibility to the world around you.

Let's also not forget that they say things like "vegetables are not food, vegetables are what food eats."

Our rampant overconsumption of beef is actually a telltale sign of the affluenza that America is facing. Beef is disturbingly inefficient. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of cheeseburgers and steaks, but you don't need to be eating that poo poo every day, especially when you look at how inefficient beef is. You need 100 pounds of feed to get a pound of beef. Hell, eating chicken more often is even a good start, as you need just a few pounds of feed to get a pound of chicken.

But the problem is "I frequently eat steak" is a status symbol. People yearn for it because being able to afford to eat streak frequently means you're wealthy and thus better than those drat plebs.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
But how can you tell me to eat less meat when I have a really goony palate and hate all grains and vegetables dead animals taste so good!!!

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

This isn't even really a joke, but more of an actual attitude that a lot of Conservative have to Environmentalism and it's a really dangerous attitude.

It can't be both?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But the problem is "I frequently eat steak" is a status symbol. People yearn for it because being able to afford to eat streak frequently means you're wealthy and thus better than those drat plebs.

I like a good steak, but if I frequently ate steak I'd poo poo weird from all the fat and I'd become a loving blimp. Besides which, chicken and fish just mix better with other foods. If you're eating steak, it's pretty much steak + potato + [green] + [red wine of choice] = dinner. Kinda boring honestly.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
It's because you can't have any pudding if you don't finish your meat.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

It can't be both?
It can, but there's no hyperbole or cleverness. It's just stating what he's going to do. It's not humor, it's self-satisfaction with telling it like it is.

I mean technically, if you follow the ratio through, that means he's going to eat four times the animals that exist at any given time, but I don't think the t-shirt knows that.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hell, eating chicken more often is even a good start, as you need just a few pounds of feed to get a pound of chicken.

Can't find a source ATM, but I recall reading that chicken has a lower carbon footprint than some types of tomato.

ShortStack posted:

It's because you can't have any pudding if you don't finish your meat.

That movie is like the baby-boomer sorting hat.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

VideoTapir posted:

That movie is like the baby-boomer sorting hat.

Never underestimate hypocrisy. My parents are both boomers, and have like infinite patience and open minds for things that are from their childhood or college years. Yet, they decry modern things that are about as offensive or even less offensive as being "crass" or "disrespectful." I'm sure there's a decent cross section of people who picketed Kevin Smith's Dogma when it opened who loved Life of Brian when it came out.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

VideoTapir posted:

Can't find a source ATM, but I recall reading that chicken has a lower carbon footprint than some types of tomato.

Probably the beefsteak cultivar.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Did somebody mention food chat?!?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

It can, but there's no hyperbole or cleverness. It's just stating what he's going to do. It's not humor, it's self-satisfaction with telling it like it is.

I mean technically, if you follow the ratio through, that means he's going to eat four times the animals that exist at any given time, but I don't think the t-shirt knows that.

Conservative humor is based around self-styled (i.e. non-traditional) authority figures losing their power. That smug hippie thinks he can control what I eat, let's wipe that smug smile off his face, etc. It's the same reason they love the Ghostbusters sticking it to the EPA or Liberal Strawman being thwarted on King of the Hill.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I thought this video was a parody of conservative comedians until I read the rest of the posts ITT.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

It's the same reason they love the Ghostbusters sticking it to the EPA or Liberal Strawman being thwarted on King of the Hill.

It's the reason I know I can't stand now than a few episodes of King of the Hill.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Funny thing is that veganism is actively anti-environment as well, due to the fact that veganism means using no animal products, including in the production of other foods.

(You can use a lot less artificial fertilizer, need to grow a good deal less food in general and so on if you do things like occasionally eat eggs from chickens that feed on waste plant matter, rather than grow a lot more of other plants and take extra efforts to grow wildly non-native plants to construct a full diet)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

KomradeX posted:

It's the reason I know I can't stand now than a few episodes of King of the Hill.

KotH's go-to plot is "Hank defeats a liberal".

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Pope Guilty posted:

Now, Bobby, you know there's a difference between liberals and conservatives...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
And even for that, it's a damned funny show. The characters are well-developed individuals and their reactions to events are generally consistent and well-written.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

radical meme posted:

I actually think he should go to Congress right now and ask for authorization to use military force in the Ukraine and then stand back and watch the GOP piss all over itself while they refuse to give it to him. There's now way in hell anybody outside of John McCain would approve it.

If Obama did this then the inevitable reaction from conservatives would be something along the lines of "look how weak Obama is he can't even get Congress to do what he wants!"

It doesn't matter what that nig- um, President does, the Right in this country will see it as a negative.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Founding fathers no I never hearda their stuff

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
From the anecdotal evidence I have, I get the sense that a lot of conservatives think they ARE punching up when they make fun of liberals and those they defend. My dad genuinely believes that liberal academics, union leaders, and SJWs have a great deal of power and influence in the United States, and that they have conservatives and businesspeople under siege. I think watching that Steven Crowder video was such a relief to him because it was speaking truth to the power of the Millennials who voted Obama into office.

icantfindaname, thank you very much for the link. I enjoyed watching the video, but I don't think I will show it to my dad. I've learned not to draw him into political conversations, since we both just end up shouting into the wind.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Not even close

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Plenty of 'em are "Hank comes to a liberal conclusion through conservative reasoning" ("Hilloween", "Raise the Steaks", etc.) There's def some liberal strawmen scattered across the entire show but I've always considered KOTH to be the inverse of South Park which reliably comes to a conservative conclusion through "liberal" (flippant, rebellious, irreverent) reasoning.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
I wouldn't call it the archetypical KotH plot but that show really genuinely loathed college liberals.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Man if you people think king of the hill is pro conservative you must smoke crack or just really miss all the subtext.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Man if you people think king of the hill is pro conservative you must smoke crack or just really miss all the subtext.

Eh I used to feel this way, but Mike Judge's last few appearances on Alex Jones' show have led me to doubt.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MisterBadIdea posted:

I wouldn't call it the archetypical KotH plot but that show really genuinely loathed college liberals.

Did they really cover college liberals much? All I remember is that one with Hank mad about some grill contest not letting propane in so while he did a legitimate protest by showing his grill was just fine too, the girl got a bunch of dumbass shock protesters from college who just ran around fake choking and yelling 'shame'? That wasn't much 'college liberals' so much as it was 'people who protest like idiots without making an actual point'. Like someone else said a lot of the plots were Hank winding up agreeing with the liberal view though not liking the exact person who proposes it because, ya know it's a comedy show and they kinda need there to be a humorous conflict.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There was the episode with the drug addict who they couldn't fire, and the archaeology professor who digs up Hank's yard. The climate change episode was pretty good. The politics of the show are primarily centrist/'common sense'

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ray and Shirley posted:

Eh I used to feel this way, but Mike Judge's last few appearances on Alex Jones' show have led me to doubt.

I get the feeling that the overall idea of conservatism as presented by King of the Hill is that republican types are generally well meaning and honestly believe in hard work, the world is a fair place where you get out what you put in, and that they support helping the less fortunate without trying to get them dependent on outside help. There are definitely "bad" rich people, bigots, or whatever in the show as villains but I think that the average GOP voter is portrayed as a "good person." Currently it's hard to believe that a "good person" could support the current party platform that has shed all pretense of altruism for pure Randian selfishness and shortsighted plundering of resources at the expense of most everyone by the rich while being as bigoted as legally possibly so the benevolent voter is a harder sell.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Radish posted:

I get the feeling that the overall idea of conservatism as presented by King of the Hill is that republican types are generally well meaning and honestly believe in hard work, the world is a fair place where you get out what you put in, and that they support helping the less fortunate without trying to get them dependent on outside help. There are definitely "bad" rich people, bigots, or whatever in the show as villains but I think that the average GOP voter is portrayed as a "good person." Currently it's hard to believe that a "good person" could support the current party platform that has shed all pretense of altruism for pure Randian selfishness and shortsighted plundering of resources at the expense of most everyone by the rich while being as bigoted as legally possibly so it's a harder sell.

Buck Strickland was never once shown to be a "good" rich person in the show, wasn't he? Hank does idolize him but it is shown that he is a really, really bad person very often.
As well as a VERY negative portrayal of Hank's authoritarian father.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

SedanChair posted:

Wasn't it three animals in the original joke?

Uppin' the ante! :clint:

It was 2 when Maddox first wrote that article on his site.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

McDowell posted:

There was the episode with the drug addict who they couldn't fire, and the archaeology professor who digs up Hank's yard. The climate change episode was pretty good. The politics of the show are primarily centrist/'common sense'

It always felt to me like the show was more about Hank, the everyman, struggling to make sense of a world that doesn't really make much sense and is changing in ways that he can't deal with. The show wasn't really left or right, it just made fun of everything. Part of the show's humor came from the fact that Hank was an old-fashioned conservative that clung to what he knew, which was the past. He wasn't a bad guy but he wasn't aging gracefully and was behind the times.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Maybe it helps to be from a rural area to understand where the show is coming from? I'm not gonna claim I've seen every episode, but it's always come off more as anti-yuppie/suburbanite than anti-liberal.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Luisfe posted:

Buck Strickland was never once shown to be a "good" rich person in the show, wasn't he? Hank does idolize him but it is shown that he is a really, really bad person very often.
As well as a VERY negative portrayal of Hank's authoritarian father.

If anything I think KotH is meant to show the average center right 'common sense' type who's got kinda out dated values but no real malice or anything. Like, there are multiple parts in the shows where Hank is shown generally kinda uneasy about gay stuff, but when it's something like his friend's dad being gay he has a view of telling him to be honest and try to fix the relationship. Same with most of the liberal 'antagonists' for lack of a better word, he doesn't hate the idea per say but it's an issue of how it's being presented.

Like I remember being bugged by the drug episode, but coming around to it when the point was mainly that the one specific junkie and his one specific councilor were kinda dicks. It wasn't some 'I AIN'T HELPIN NO JUNKIE' but instead 'why am I forced to do everything and this dude is making no efforts to work with me to make a thing that's good for us both, also he's just kinda an rear end in a top hat'.

It's a fairly realistic view of the average southern middle class suburban republican voter, they're not really in line with the Randian selfishness that's taken over but there's honestly been very poor outreach to them that isn't confrontational/forceful, and they don't react well to that.

Judge himself is kinda a wad though, but when it comes to the product he made I think he did a fair job hiding his more dickish side.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Radish posted:

Currently it's hard to believe that a "good person" could support the current party platform that has shed all pretense of altruism for pure Randian selfishness and shortsighted plundering of resources at the expense of most everyone by the rich while being as bigoted as legally possibly so it's a harder sell.

There's quite a few that just kind of ignore it.

It's not because they're naturally selfish/awful people, it's just because they bought into the GOP platform during good economic times, and it seemed to treat them well enough.

I've seen quite a few people (my father included) give back to the community in some way, shape or form. I've also yet to see him, and people like him in line with the typical fox news talking points on a few things. (Ex: He's been sympathetic to me during my time trying to find a job, and doesn't use the whole "ENTITLED" thing I've seen other idiots use).

I guess they sincerely believe it's not "gently caress YOU GOT MINE", but they believe that is indeed the best way to go "I got mine, now you can go get yours".

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Did they really cover college liberals much? All I remember is that one with Hank mad about some grill contest not letting propane in so while he did a legitimate protest by showing his grill was just fine too, the girl got a bunch of dumbass shock protesters from college who just ran around fake choking and yelling 'shame'? That wasn't much 'college liberals' so much as it was 'people who protest like idiots without making an actual point'. Like someone else said a lot of the plots were Hank winding up agreeing with the liberal view though not liking the exact person who proposes it because, ya know it's a comedy show and they kinda need there to be a humorous conflict.

Hank actually becomes "Green" within the show, and seems to practice what he preaches. He also supports the local "Co Op", and there's times when he's very anti-mega-lo-mart because of the harm it's done to small businesses within the show.

Also, the gun club is really far more progressive than in real life ones.(Dale's quote about running for Gun Club President once is about losing the Black Vote, Earl, and the Gay Vote, Earl).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mike Judge made an entire show making fun of liberals. How soon we forget 'The Goode Family'