Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Just seeing Ral finally pilot that Gouf, alongside Chinan and his Master Gundam, was enough to make this episode amazing in my eyes. Seriously, that was awesome, I'm glad we actually got to see them (and Sei's dad) kick rear end at least once in the series.

Seeing all Gunpla take off to the fortress was cool too. Sad that the girls didn't get to do much, I wish we got more out of the Miss Sazabi. On the other hand, Crossbone Maoh having the Satellite Cannon on the body-skull was pretty cool, and the Hyper Build Knuckle scene was incredible.

And I was actually kind of angry when Reiji disappeared but nothing was said of Aila...then she appears with him in Arian. Oh Gundam Build Fighters, you don't disappoint.

Overall, I think the ending was pretty good! Not as insanely good as, say, G Gundam's, or as bittersweet-but-great like Turn A's, or as hilarious because everyone annoying gets killed like Zeta, but fitting for the series. I agree that Sei's development into a competent fighter was not well-done, though. Still, a minor detail in comparison to how good everything else in this series was.

Overall, I can say that the most bitter part of the ending is that it's over. I actually instinctively went to skip the Gunpla ad for the next episode preview...before remembering there'll be none.

Goodbye, Gundam Build Fighters. You should've been a blatant toy ad with nothing interesting on it, and instead you were the best Gundam series in years. I hope we get something of this level of quality in the next Gundam project, and maybe a GBF 2 someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I enjoyed this show from start to finish. It was nice to see a Gundam show that was just willing to have fun with the franchise. The next show in the pipeline is Tomino directed so if it can even come close to Turn A we will be in a new golden age for Gundam with two legitimately good shows back to back.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I think that this episode was pretty consistent with the rest of the series in that it kind of rushes things for a hasty resolution with only like one or two good parts an episode (in this case, the combination attack, you know the one I'm talking about). I think it was a mistake for them to try to shoehorn all of the side characters, so that everyone gets their moment. I mean, maybe if there was more coordination in it, but it was just that everyone got a pointless 5 seconds of good animation to do a cool thing while stuff explodes. If they wanted to go that way, I think that this should have been their reference overload episode where the side characters lead all the Gunpla battle fans from the festival to take out the swathes of bootlegged mooks in a proper A Baoa Qu-sized final battle. Throw in all of the obscure kits. Throw in all of the Gundam cameos. Have it be like the G Gundam finale where you're picking out references and going, "Was that the F91... and Daitarn 3?!" I think that sort of sentiment is what appealed to me going into Build Fighters, and I feel that it was totally absent from the final episode. In the end, it had a pretty lackluster finish, but at least most of the ride was pretty fun.

Why the hell did they not go all Medabots on us and have the giant Gunpla duke it out for the final battle? They could have just copied that whole finale wholesale and come out much stronger for it..

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Iserlohn posted:

Why the hell did they not go all Medabots on us and have the giant Gunpla duke it out for the final battle? They could have just copied that whole finale wholesale and come out much stronger for it..

Because they can't sell the statues. :v:

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I loved it and a Gouf/Master Gundam combo attack was not the finale I was expecting, but it might be one of the most hilarious/awesome moments in all of Gundam.

A little disapointed that Miss Sazabi got wrecked with only one battle scene, but whatever.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That was a fun show. Not all-star, best show ever or anything (it's a good one, but it's still your average shonen sports tournament show so the bar is pretty low), but very fun! And honestly that's all I wanted coming in, so I'm satisfied coming out.

Best part of the episode:

The Leo's sole appearance has it immediately blow up afterwards.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Gammatron 64 posted:

We didn't see the giant Gundam and Zaku move, but we did get Ramba Ral in a Gouf and Mao's sensei in the Master Gundam and I pretty much lost it at that point.

Also, it looks like Reiji does indeed live on a space colony... that's definitely a cylinder.

I kinda want Build fighters season 2 now.

Hearing Mao scream "Shisho!" was quite possibly the best thing that could have happened.

And then He pulled out the loving Gundam face tornado and the Touhoufouhai kick.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I just noticed that after all her bluster, Caroline didn't do jack poo poo during the final battle, she just kinda stood around and did nothing while Nils was off being awesome with his rocket hammer.
EDIT:
Anyone else get a Gunbuster vibe off of Miss Sazabi's hangar scene?

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 31, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Another great moment was when the series took a jab at bootleg gunpla.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

By the way, not gonna lie, I squealed when the Amazing Exia Repair showed up. So perfect. :allears:

And the entire fight scene I was thinking "man it would be really helpful if the Satellite Cannon was here, too bad Mao ditched first thing to help Misa- YES"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
What song was playing when Mao showed up with his spiffy new Gunpla?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

GBF - Open The Future Mix.

Final cameo list:

quote:

Episode 25
OZ-06MS Leo (W)
GN-000 0 Gundam (00)
XXXG-01SR Gundam Sandrock (W)

Also

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It never really sold the idea that the Build Strike is meant to be something finely-crafted and special when the only changes are the shoulders taken from the Strike Freedom and a different head. Especially when you compare it to every other gunpla in the series taking an existing design and building something far more unique off of it.

You should probably sit down and compare the Strike to the Build Strike, because there are differences all over. About the same level as X > X Maoh.

EDIT: Shenlong is the only Wing lead suit to never show up. :allears:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 31, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TARDISman posted:

I just noticed that after all her bluster, Caroline didn't do jack poo poo during the final battle

That's 100% in character for her so I'm not sure why you didn't expect that

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: Shenlong is the only Wing lead suit to never show up. :allears:

Great! Wufei's the worst character on a cast of garbage and the Shenlong is a poor man's knockoff of the Dragon Gundam :colbert:

All in all, it was as good a finale as I could have hoped for from this crazy toy commercial.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 31, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I totally expected it, that's what made it hilarious for me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hmm, thinking about it, I thought 00 S2 suits couldn't appear in the series? Did the Amazing Exia Repair not count for that clause?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hmm, thinking about it, I thought 00 S2 suits couldn't appear in the series? Did the Amazing Exia Repair not count for that clause?

The broadcast rights held by the other station ran out just before the finale.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Ah. I just assumed that because the face wasn't damaged they could go with the excuse that it is totally different.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

BlitzBlast posted:

By the way, not gonna lie, I squealed when the Amazing Exia Repair showed up. So perfect. :allears:

And the entire fight scene I was thinking "man it would be really helpful if the Satellite Cannon was here, too bad Mao ditched first thing to help Misa- YES"

My reaction, spot-on. God drat I felt like a 10 year old girl again, cheering like it was the first time I saw the Wing Zero/Epyon fight on Toonami.

It may have not been the best Gundam series out there, but I'll be damned if it wasn't bursting with love for the whole franchise. The fights, the cameos, the sheer sense of joy and fun it had. Just hope that any potential Season 2 can try to match it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So what would be better for a BF drinking game? Taking a shot every time China says "Iori-kun", or taking a shot every time a SEED cameo shows up to immediately get trashed?

EDIT: The former might actually kill you.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BlitzBlast posted:

So what would be better for a BF drinking game? Taking a shot every time China says "Iori-kun", or taking a shot every time a SEED cameo shows up to immediately get trashed?

EDIT: The former might actually kill you.

You might as well change it to "every time China shows up in a scene" if that's your criterion.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Every time it is the only thing she says in a scene might be more reasonable.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Do a shot every time Caroline exasperates Nils.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

At least by the very end she calls him 'Sei.'

Character development right there, folks.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I thought Chairman's knock off robots looked pretty cool, I'd buy one of them from him.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Hahaha, holy crap. I knew Mao and his Master's Gunpla looked familiar.

These two?

They're Mikako Komatsu and Sachi Kokuryu's personal Gunpla, Sei and Reiji's voice actresses.

And of course Mikako's is a Bodacious Space Pirates reference.

This show... even 'till the end, it manages to shove every little reference it can in. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

If that's the case, I'm surprised they didn't go balls-out with a last-minute Amazing 00 Gundam. Seeing the Amazing Exia Repair turn up with it's cloth cape was still fun though.

BlitzBlast posted:

You should probably sit down and compare the Strike to the Build Strike, because there are differences all over. About the same level as X > X Maoh.

The X and X-Maoh only really share the same chestpiece, everything else has something added or changed. The Build Strike, on the other hand, still has the same basic Strike chest and legs. Compared to the other kits in the series which rebuild almost everything from the original kit I still think it's somewhat lacking as the creation of a "master builder".

Sharkopath posted:

I thought Chairman's knock off robots looked pretty cool, I'd buy one of them from him.

I wouldn't mind one either. Considering there was two or three variants with the same basic body flying about, Bandai might well turn them out as kits.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they show up in an upcoming series.
But yeah, I'd definitely buy a few of them.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

For a split second I thought they were from the Reconguista trailer.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

TARDISman posted:

For a split second I thought they were from the Reconguista trailer.

That was the thought that I had when I first saw them as well.

Also, apparently they're called the "Mock"
http://i.imgur.com/krg2s2n.png

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I loved that episode. I really hope we'll get a season 2, even if it never lives up to the first one. It must be selling huge quantities of Gundam toys. I know it's left me wanting to buy an Astray, anyway.

The best thing about the episode was Ral and Chinan's part in the fight. It just looked so good. Crossbone Maoh's appearance and canon strike was brilliant, but Ral and Chinan were the show stealers.

The statues didn't move, and that was an almost criminal omission on the part of the writers, but I suppose I'll forgive them since the rest of the episode was mostly good.

I could understand the Bearguy getting taken down because China isn't an experienced pilot, but it was highly disappointing to see Aila's Miss Sazabi zapped after one paltry scene of it in action. I'd been looking forward to seeing Aila pilot again, but she hardly got a look in after all. There was also something weird going on with the way that Sei, China, Reiji and Aila kept calling out their love interests' names. That just seemed lazy writing. Surely that could have been spent on something better, like more combat screen time for the Miss Sazabi? It was also strange the way that Sei and Reiji were so distressed about China and Aila's gundams getting broken.

Sei's character arc about becoming a pilot could have been a lot better done if that's what they were planning all along, and honestly I don't think it was necessary. It's fine to have a main character whose true skill lies in building rather than fighting. I could have understood Sei improving, but not improving to ace pilot levels.

I'm pleased to see that Aila went back to Reiji's home world. I was worried for a moment there! All of that silly calling of names earlier in the episode, and Aila didn't say anything while Reiji was disappearing? But no, she was sneaking along after all, so no problem. But if there's a season 2, I'd really like to see more of Arian.

Mihoshi ended up as one of my favourite characters in the series somehow. Her Gerbera Tetra looked really cool this episode, and I liked that she had the presence of mind to grab a camera to film the last fight.

Going by the things people have recommended to other relative Gundam newbies in this thread, G Gundam and Turn A Gundam are the series I ought to watch next. I hope that G Gundam at least will have some great fight scenes. I've seen Gundam Wing, but though I liked some of the characters, the fights largely bored me.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
The ending wasn't good but at least it was satisfying enough. Rambal and Master Chinan have the best combination attack. :allears: I loving lost it when the Master Gundam appeared.:swoon:

We won't be getting season 2 any time soon, but after watching this, I hope Reconquista is some sort of weird, wonderful baby of Turn-A and King Gainer.

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012
Holy poo poo they need to do Takeshi, Ral, and Chinan adventures in Gunpla

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm not actually sure if I would like a sequel or a prequel more.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If a sequel/OVA is anything other than Sazaki's Gyanterattack I will be very disappointed.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I love how we had 25 episodes of build up of literally everyone meeting Ral paying him mad respect, and at the very end he justifies all of it in a single scene.

Also that expression on Fellini's face during that scene was pure gushing fanboy.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Van Dine posted:

Going by the things people have recommended to other relative Gundam newbies in this thread, G Gundam and Turn A Gundam are the series I ought to watch next. I hope that G Gundam at least will have some great fight scenes. I've seen Gundam Wing, but though I liked some of the characters, the fights largely bored me.

You haven't seen G Gundam yet? You'll be pleased with Master Asia, Undefeated of the East

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

drat...
This show wasn't perfect, it had some issues in a couple of parts.
But I really really loved it, and I want all of the kits. So it's working.
The ending was shonen-cliche at a lot of points but I loved it none the less.
At least China and Aila saved Rei+Seji, not that it's much better then bare minimum but they at least didn't do the reverse I guess

The Build Strike with Build Mk2's backpack looked sick :swoon:
Now I just need Build Strike cosmos lineart even though it probably is the same as the SBS.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Zedd posted:

drat...
This show wasn't perfect, it had some issues in a couple of parts.
But I really really loved it, and I want all of the kits. So it's working.
The ending was shonen-cliche at a lot of points but I loved it none the less.

This is pretty much my take away from all of this. Build Fighters isn't perfect, but for me its hands down the best they've ever managed. I personally dislike the series standard Turn A, and honestly Build Fighters goes for exactly what I wanted out of a Gundam show. Fun, Mostly sensible characters having robot battles.

There are things they could have handled better, such as Sei's piloting improvement, or the character development of China, but the imperfections are so minor they really can't hurt the show for me.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

How many more years until Sunrise can use AGE units in GBF? I'm still awaiting the day when AGE-3 Orbital doesn't get instantly wrecked. Or rather, since GBF was big on customizing, a Gunpla that's based on the Orbital design.

Still, the ending battles were great. I technically got what I wanted with Sei acknowledging that he wanted to be his dad, but the execution was lacking. But that's alright because I got to see Lieutenant Ramba Ral create a cyclone in space, something I never knew I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Level Slide posted:

How many more years until Sunrise can use AGE units in GBF? I'm still awaiting the day when AGE-3 Orbital doesn't get instantly wrecked. Or rather, since GBF was big on customizing, a Gunpla that's based on the Orbital design.

Still, the ending battles were great. I technically got what I wanted with Sei acknowledging that he wanted to be his dad, but the execution was lacking. But that's alright because I got to see Lieutenant Ramba Ral create a cyclone in space, something I never knew I wanted.
The fact that we got a good show that had all of this is still amazing me :swoon:
A Zaku fighting a strike Gundam
A Gundam X beating up a UC-era Mobile armor
A wing Gundam riding a motorcycle
An Astray Gundam riding Fuunsaiki :black101:
An SD Gundam teaming up with a Sazabi
And so on

• Locked thread