Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Cathedral is like the American Yes. They only have two albums, though.

Also Kansas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

alnilam posted:

Does Mahavishnu count, or are they more jazz?

They're jazz fusion.

Rollersnake posted:

(Could be worse—up until a couple years ago, I thought Jimi Hendrix was British.)
To be fair, he was more successful in the UK and the other members of the Experience are British.

The Mars Volta are indeed very good. Forgot about them.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Phideaux is one of my favorite modern prog bands :shobon:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Oblivion Sun is also from the US. They only have two albums, but I have their first one and it's really good.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Are there any great American prog rock bands? It just dawned on me that I can't think of any. The genre's heyday was almost entirely British. Canada has Rush. Germany and Italy have some stuff. We have progressive metal down pretty well, but besides like, Tool (who aren't really the same style), are there any notable bands to come out of the States? Just curious.
There's a ton of great American prog and fusion bands. Cathedral, Starcastle, Yezda Urfa, Weather Report, World Trade, Dixie Dregs, Djam Karet, Echolyn and Spock's Beard are all worth checking out. American prog-influenced music largely takes the form of progressive metal or heavy progressive rock (where I'd shovel bands like Jolly or OSI that I wouldn't quite label "metal"), but we also started that whole post-hardcore thing (Fugazi, At the Drive-In, The Jesus Lizard, etc.).

It's weird that you would single out Germany and Italy but leave out Sweden, especially when Sweden has a really rich heritage of excellent bands like Anglagard, Anekdoten, Kaipa, The Flower Kings, Gosta Berlings Saga, Morte Macabre, and so many others. Italy's always had a huge amount going on, but the bands all kind of bleed together for me and I always found a lot more worth listening to in their Swedish counterparts.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Cathedral is like the American Yes. They only have two albums, though.

Also Kansas.
I got to meet Mac (Cathedral's drummer) out at a bar in Huntington, NY a few weeks back, he's an excellent guy who's friends with my old boss (who was supposed to play bass with them at Farfest a few years back, but then the fest was cancelled). His son, Mercury Caronia V, posts these hilariously awkward video game videos to YouTube all the time. Awesome every time I hear people talking about them.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 31, 2014

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Starcastle is pretty much Diet Yes

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Iucounu posted:

Starcastle is pretty much Diet Yes
So was Cathedral, though they were a lot better at it. Fountains of Light had some interesting things going on, but everything else they did was pretty awful. On the other hand, so was everything Yes was putting out by then.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Misogynist posted:

Awesome every time I hear people talking about them.

I think Cathedral is a fantastic band, really underrated, but their recorded output is kind of funny. They have one album from 1978 and one album from...2007. They make Jeff Beck look like a lightweight.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Seventh Arrow posted:

I think Cathedral is a fantastic band, really underrated, but their recorded output is kind of funny. They have one album from 1978 and one album from...2007. They make Jeff Beck look like a lightweight.
To be fair, Cathedral turned into Industry and released Stranger to Stranger in 1984.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtGwJo4vadE

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Are there any great American prog rock bands? It just dawned on me that I can't think of any. The genre's heyday was almost entirely British. Canada has Rush. Germany and Italy have some stuff. We have progressive metal down pretty well, but besides like, Tool (who aren't really the same style), are there any notable bands to come out of the States? Just curious.

Echolyn and Glass Hammer are two of my faves, from Pennsylvania and Tennessee respectively. Echolyn in particular stand up to any of the classic prog acts (in my opinion), just awesome ensemble playing and great songwriting all around. GH are a little goofier, dudes with a huge Yes/ELP hard-on that eventually willed themselves into becoming as great as their idols. The current singer of Yes (Jon Davison) comes from the Hammer.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

JAMOOOL posted:

Echolyn and Glass Hammer are two of my faves, from Pennsylvania and Tennessee respectively. Echolyn in particular stand up to any of the classic prog acts (in my opinion), just awesome ensemble playing and great songwriting all around. GH are a little goofier, dudes with a huge Yes/ELP hard-on that eventually willed themselves into becoming as great as their idols. The current singer of Yes (Jon Davison) comes from the Hammer.

My favorite Glass Hammer album is Chronometree. I dig the vocalist way more than anyone else they've had sing, and it's pretty densely packed with nice unique sonic textures. I also like Lex Rex and a few of their recent ones - but the cheese factor limits my enjoyment somewhat.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Seventh Arrow posted:

Also Kansas.

Kansas is polarizing (probably because they are bad).

The US produced Spock's Beard (which isn't great), Savage Grace (has its moments but thoroughly rooted in Jack Bruce-style theatrical slow burners), Glass Hammer (poor man's Yes), The Boxing Lesson (psychedelic Tangerine Dream/Floyd-isms with vocals ripped straight from Thom Yorke), Spirit (rip), Styx, and a bunch of post-hardcore and math rock bands that atmosphered themselves all the way back to prog.

E: Oh and Heatwarmer who is good

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 31, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Thanks, guys. That's a lot more than I anticipated.

On a different note, has anyone tried the Flaming Lips' companion album to Dark Side of the Moon yet? I'm not a Lips fan but I'm listening to it with Dark Side right now and it's pretty cool. Don't really care about the Wizard of Oz part but this is a lot more interesting than Coyne's other recent experiments.

http://www.stereogum.com/1672526/st...s/album-stream/

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

We should probably also mention Frank Zappa in the discussion of American contributions to prog. Though most of his stuff is probably better classified as eclectic jazz-rock, and he has a lot of ties to prominent fusion musicians like Jean-Luc Ponty, his influence in modern prog (especially Swedish stuff like Beardfish) is totally undeniable.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I guess you cod say that Phish at their best is a pretty good prog band. At their worst they're something else.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

BigFactory posted:

I guess you cod say that Phish at their best is a pretty good prog band. At their worst they're something else.

I wouldn't call Phish a prog band any more than I would call the Dead a prog band.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

I wouldn't call Phish a prog band any more than I would call the Dead a prog band.
Yeah, if we're going with jam bands I'd pick out Umphrey's McGee as a better representation of prog.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Declan MacManus posted:

Really? Phish don't actually sound that much like the grateful dead. Their long form composed stuff is straight out of the prog playbook.

Edit: trey inducted Genesis into the r&r hall of fame, his roots are pretty geeky. His first band covered Hemispheres.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Phish is prog/jam rock. Especially their early albums. There's a lot of Yes, Genesis and even some King Crimson influence in Phish. Just listen to songs like Fluffhead/Fluff's Travels (especially the studio version), Reba, Stash, Guyute and Dave's Energy Guide, not to mention the whole Rift album.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 1, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I would say the bulk of their music isn't really prog. Funky, sure, and they can get atmospheric, but they're more interested in vamping which puts them into jam territory for me.

And if we're counting influences, does that make St. Vincent prog? What about John Frusciante? Polyphonic Spree?

Anyways, enough territorial pissing. Here's some Peter Banks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ7QA_AEg18

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think there are a lot of bands who you would unquestionably call "prog" that you could say a large percentage, if not majority of their output isn't prog if you go song by song. Rush comes right to mind.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

:barf: :barf: :barf:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i really liked muse before matt bellamy stopped reading all his worn-spine copies of asimov's science fiction and got a public library card

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Declan MacManus posted:

I would say the bulk of their music isn't really prog. Funky, sure, and they can get atmospheric, but they're more interested in vamping which puts them into jam territory for me.

And if we're counting influences, does that make St. Vincent prog? What about John Frusciante? Polyphonic Spree?

Bands can be more than one genre. And if I had to pull a percentage out of my rear end, I'd say that Phish is about 35% prog. If you just go by their first albums Junta, Lawn Boy, A Picture of Nectar, Rift, and the unofficial Gamehendge concept album The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday, I'd say they were about 80% prog. It's significant enough for me to consider them prog.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 1, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

muike posted:

i really liked muse before matt bellamy stopped reading all his worn-spine copies of asimov's science fiction and got a public library card

I tried reliving the good ole days from middle school and I just got bored; here is Matt Bellamy singing high, here is Matt Bellamy singing real high, oop now he's loving with the fuzz factory

BigFactory posted:

I think there are a lot of bands who you would unquestionably call "prog" that you could say a large percentage, if not majority of their output isn't prog if you go song by song. Rush comes right to mind.

Gianthogweed posted:

Bands can be more than one genre. And if I had to pull a percentage out of my rear end, I'd say that Phish is about 35% prog. If you just go by their first albums Junta, Lawn Boy, A Picture of Nectar, Rift, and the unofficial Gamehendge concept album The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday, I'd say they were about 80% prog. It's significant enough for me to consider them prog.

I dunno, it's just my opinion, and I haven't really listened to enough Phish to form a truly informed opinion (nor will I ever), I just know what I know, and what I know is that The Landlady and that one song that's really fast are cool and I don't really bother listening to any of their other songs on a regular basis :shrug:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Muse kind of went the same way Bloc Party did and they let they keyboard player turn their volume up too high, except Muse didn't realize that after one album of that it was poo poo and isntead listened to a lot of skrillex

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Gianthogweed posted:

It's not just the old stuff either. Time Turns Elastic is a straight up 10 minute multi-part progressive rock tune.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

muike posted:

Muse kind of went the same way Bloc Party did and they let they keyboard player turn their volume up too high, except Muse didn't realize that after one album of that it was poo poo and isntead listened to a lot of skrillex

I went to a Muse concert when I was 15 and they put on a hell of a show - it was a great time.

But calling them prog-rockers?

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

I tried reliving the good ole days from middle school and I just got bored; here is Matt Bellamy singing high, here is Matt Bellamy singing real high, oop now he's loving with the fuzz factory

I dunno, it's just my opinion, and I haven't really listened to enough Phish to form a truly informed opinion (nor will I ever), I just know what I know, and what I know is that The Landlady and that one song that's really fast are cool and I don't really bother listening to any of their other songs on a regular basis :shrug:

You're missing out on some great music. I'd like to send you a copy of Phish Gamehendge mix I made for my radio show that shows Phish at it's proggiest. It was New Years themed since it aired around that time. I'm not sure if it counts as :filez: though, even though some of it was remixed and voice narrations were added by yours truly.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 1, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Phish has some bad songs (every band does), and their jams are boring 9 times out of 10 (with the 10 out of 10 being amazing), but when they're good they're really really good. I think a lot of modern prog rock fans get turned off by the drug culture for whatever reason. And I guess they're kind of an intimidating band to get into because the culture is so insular, although I think that's WAY less true in 2014 than it was in 1996 or something.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 1, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I don't get turned off at the drug culture, I just find them to be aimless. But sure, I'll give them a shot, what could go wrong?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Declan MacManus posted:

I don't get turned off at the drug culture, I just find them to be aimless. But sure, I'll give them a shot, what could go wrong?

Your fashion sense could take a dramatic turn for the worse.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So I live in downtown Toronto and summer's coming (eventually) and I'm wondering if there's any one place I can go to find out what prog tours and events are coming this way. Is there a good site for that kind of stuff or, if not, any news on decent bands swinging by this neck of the woods?

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I've had this album on repeat for awhile now, it's an excellent (debut?) release that came out this year. You should really listen to this. Also, don't be turned off by the Beatles-esque intro, the album is undeniably prog.

Perfect Beings!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-9kj5n42SE

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Trees and Squids posted:

I've had this album on repeat for awhile now, it's an excellent (debut?) release that came out this year. You should really listen to this. Also, don't be turned off by the Beatles-esque intro, the album is undeniably prog.

Perfect Beings!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-9kj5n42SE
welp, adding these guys to my list of excellent Americans

There's so much XTC and Bruce Soord (Pineapple Thief) influence I would have sworn they were from Bristol.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
Just a piece for all the Yes/Relayer/Patrick Moraz fans. This is how he left Yes in 1976.

- Were you forced to leave or parting company was friendly?

Patrick Moraz:

Unfortunately, I was forced to leave. And even though, at the time, the split “was not made to appear acrimonious”, I suffered extremely and extensively. To be “asked to leave” so suddenly put me in a lot of turmoil and disturbance. The fact is, I was never compensated for anything. I never ever got paid for any of my tour participation in the extremely successful and extensive YES Tour of 1976, which comprised about 65 concerts, many of them in front of sold-out audiences of more than 100,000 people. After all, as a member of the band, I was entitled to a 20% cut from what the band was getting.
I don’t like to dwell into negatives, however, I can tell you that I had absolutely no desire to want to leave YES, at the time, in November of 1976. We had just finished the biggest tour YES had ever done, the “Bicentennial Tour”, a huge, extremely successful tour for YES. Somehow, it had been decided that we would go and record, in my own country, Switzerland, what became the album “Going for the One”, which we had extensively composed, developed and rehearsed during the course of 1976 (and even before that). There was no reason in the world for me to want to leave the band! Also, I understood, much later, that Rick was already in town, with his own crew, when I was still in the group, and I was still part of YES.
In addition, it was an extremely complicated and difficult situation for me to be stranded, on the street, with my baby daughter who was only one-month old and her mother, without any transport or money, in the cold winter of Switzerland. Then the fight for survival to stay alive, it all became surreal.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Jesus. Yes are pricks. It really contrasts with Bill Bruford's account of touring with Genesis in the late 70s.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Relayer was probably my favorite Yes album, just because of Gates of Delirium.

By the way, if this is an okay place to ask for recommendations, where would I find more in the style of Steve Hillage's solo albums? They were amazing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Trees and Squids posted:

Also, don't be turned off by the Beatles-esque intro,

Wait, what? Turned off by Beatlesesque sounds? :frogout:

Iucounu posted:

Jesus. Yes are pricks. It really contrasts with Bill Bruford's account of touring with Genesis in the late 70s.

I hadn't heard anything about Bruford's time with Genesis; I always assumed it went poorly since he skated basically immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Gimmedaroot posted:

Just a piece for all the Yes/Relayer/Patrick Moraz fans. This is how he left Yes in 1976.

- Were you forced to leave or parting company was friendly?

Patrick Moraz:

Unfortunately, I was forced to leave. And even though, at the time, the split “was not made to appear acrimonious”, I suffered extremely and extensively. To be “asked to leave” so suddenly put me in a lot of turmoil and disturbance. The fact is, I was never compensated for anything. I never ever got paid for any of my tour participation in the extremely successful and extensive YES Tour of 1976, which comprised about 65 concerts, many of them in front of sold-out audiences of more than 100,000 people. After all, as a member of the band, I was entitled to a 20% cut from what the band was getting.
I don’t like to dwell into negatives, however, I can tell you that I had absolutely no desire to want to leave YES, at the time, in November of 1976. We had just finished the biggest tour YES had ever done, the “Bicentennial Tour”, a huge, extremely successful tour for YES. Somehow, it had been decided that we would go and record, in my own country, Switzerland, what became the album “Going for the One”, which we had extensively composed, developed and rehearsed during the course of 1976 (and even before that). There was no reason in the world for me to want to leave the band! Also, I understood, much later, that Rick was already in town, with his own crew, when I was still in the group, and I was still part of YES.
In addition, it was an extremely complicated and difficult situation for me to be stranded, on the street, with my baby daughter who was only one-month old and her mother, without any transport or money, in the cold winter of Switzerland. Then the fight for survival to stay alive, it all became surreal.

Wow. Him and Peter Banks really seemed to have gotten screwed over. At least Kaye was brought back into the fold when they were making millions in the 80s. In the case of Peter Banks, I think his firing was necessary for their success. Pete was a great guitarist and musician in general, but the band really needed Howe if they were going to keep their record deal. The Yes Album has Howe all over it, and you can really tell that he changed the course of the band forever. Replacing Moraz wasn't as necessary despite the fact that Rick Wakeman is the better keyboardist. I'm surprised they never compensated Moraz for the tour though. That's a real dick move. Relayer and 74-76 tours was Yes at their most energetic and frantic too. I love that period. The Mars Volta reminded me of Yes during that period.

Allen Wren posted:

I hadn't heard anything about Bruford's time with Genesis; I always assumed it went poorly since he skated basically immediately.

Bruford had a great time with Genesis. But from the beginning he told them that he was only interested in doing one tour. Bruford is the kind of guy that leaves bands after he feels they've accomplished all that he wanted to accomplish with them. That's one of the reasons why he left Yes right after he made his favorite album with them (CTTE), and why he was against getting the 80s King Crimson lineup back together.

BTW, here's a really interesting lecture the Bill Bruford taught at the malmo academy of music:
http://youtu.be/EJd59a47ewY

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 3, 2014