Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
These elephant posts are the best thing. My significant other is going through some stressful stuff, and the baby elephants are really helping. Thanks, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
Hey Adorable and Uplifting people. I'm having a real stressful time with the last week of my semester, my relationship and a possible mental illness. Since I've gone for the trifecta of crap as I sit here clicking away at a paper, I was hoping to see the trifecta of adorable in no particular order: capys, kittens and wrinkly puppies.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

It's laundry day; I'm down to my priest outfit.

Amiss posted:

On Friday, I almost hit a little stray dog with my car. I spent the next hour following him through the rain, heading him off from major roads and trying to get close enough to clip a leash to his busted collar. (I don't own a dog, but I keep a leash in my car for just such occasions.) I managed to get within a couple feet after about half an hour of edging in on my knees with gentle talk, hand extended, but I didn't want to make a grab in case I lost all my progress. He was such a sweetheart, but soaked and shivering and so, so terrified, and a passing car had him off and running again. A few people tried to help out, but they were chasing him, which only made him bolt faster. Eventually, I lost sight of him and had no way of knowing which side street he'd taken.

I think that if I'd only had some food to offer, I could've earned enough trust to get the leash on; definitely going to add a bag of dog treats to my car's rescue arsenal... I posted a picture to the local Craigslist lost and found, in case just knowing he was seen in that area would help someone find him, but I wasn't optimistic. It broke my loving heart to remember looking in his scared little eyes and trying to convince him that everything would be okay. I've managed to catch and return four other runaways before, and I figured it was going to haunt me forever that I hadn't been able to help this one.

Then I got an email:

:holy:

I'm staying in contact with this awesome person and keeping a close eye on the dog's status-- I won't let him get lost in the shelter system!

This is such an awesome story. Keep us (me) updated please!

I've been taking my camera to the dog park, and I caught this goof face

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I would like to reiterate that birds are awesome and corvids are the best birds.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Nordick posted:

I would like to reiterate that birds are awesome and corvids are the best birds.

It's like a cat with wings.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Hey Adorable and Uplifting people. I'm having a real stressful time with the last week of my semester, my relationship and a possible mental illness. Since I've gone for the trifecta of crap as I sit here clicking away at a paper, I was hoping to see the trifecta of adorable in no particular order: capys, kittens and wrinkly puppies.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

neongrey posted:

It's like a cat with wings.
Far more fun than that :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbBlYfTbA44

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
Sometimes people are generous just because they can be.

I love my little municipal shelter and all of the volunteers :)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

God those birds are loving assholes.

Esmerelda posted:

Sometimes people are generous just because they can be.

I love my little municipal shelter and all of the volunteers :)

:unsmith:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Magres posted:

They're proooobably trying to defend their nest, dude.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Slime posted:

Really? Aight. There was one when I was a kid that tormented our Boston Terrier endlessly. Like, we'd let her out on a like 40' tether so we didn't have to watch her like a hawk (also she'd chase things into the street because Boston Terriers are ADHD and don't listen when THERE'S A THING I GOTTA GET THE THING) and this bird would sit just out of reach and loving dance around and chirp at her while she went bonkers not being able to reach the thing.

I figured it was more birds doing the same poo poo, because this thing tormented our poor Boston for literal years, all spring and summer long every year. Every now and then we'd let her out on a leash and go sprinting after the bird with her because it made her happy :buddy:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Magres posted:

I wonder how much the black cat paid them.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Slime posted:

I don't know those particular corvids (hooded crows?), but my wife studies anti-predator behavior in corvids. The species I do know don't do nest defense stuff from the ground, it's all swooping down from the sky and trying to snatch eyes out and stuff. Those guys don't even look upset, they look like they're just standing around pecking at anything that seems interesting or breakable. Which itself is a time-honored tradition among corvids. Aussie magpies in particular seem to spend most of their day loitering, just trying to figure out ways to entertain themselves. They're just such good foragers that they have a lot of time on their hands. Er, wings.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
For anyone who missed the thread when it got linked here, the saga of Hanukkah Harry is now a blog!

http://hannukahharry.wordpress.com/

Chili, one of our own, started a thread chronicling the goofy (and adorable and amazing) things his grandfather did in his life. The thread was great (he is retiring it in favor of the blog) and the blog is going to be great.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

I see this, and while yes, the adorable young elephant blowing bubbles is fun, I wonder what the hell is moving the bush.

Trig Discipline posted:

I wonder how much the black cat paid them.

Yes, the birds are clearly on the black cat's side if you watch that.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I returned from a trip to find out that birders had discovered an occupied hummingbird nest at a marsh where I'm doing some documentary filming. The hatchlings are getting almost too big for the nest and are starting to flutter their wings like they want to fly off, but they still need mom to feed them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUOdAkVNn6Y

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Moon Potato posted:

I returned from a trip to find out that birders had discovered an occupied hummingbird nest at a marsh where I'm doing some documentary filming. The hatchlings are getting almost too big for the nest and are starting to flutter their wings like they want to fly off, but they still need mom to feed them.
Just to be clear - you filmed that? It's fantastic.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Yeah, no kidding. Moon Potato, any chance you can divulge the nature of your documentary? I love stuff like this.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Yes, that was me - thanks! I'm in the process of getting a documentary nonprofit off the ground in rural Northern California right now, and our first projects are focusing on the Arcata Marsh and Wildlife Sanctuary. We're doing a series of documentary shorts about the animals of the marsh (one about the White-tailed Kites will be out in a month or two) and finishing with a feature-length film about the marsh system as a whole. Here's the teaser trailer:
https://vimeo.com/78197694
(Working title. We're hoping to come up with a better one before our next fundraising push.)

I post in The Dorkroom's bird photography thread a lot and you can follow our work through the excessive number of social media/whatever platforms that we maintain.
Website|Facebook|Google+|Flickr|Vimeo|Youtube|Twitter

Moon Potato has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Apr 1, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Man for a second I thought the mom was gonna feed them without landing at all and it'd be like a mid-air refueling.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Magres posted:

I think there's another video from another part of that same parking lot where the white cat gets tired of the crows picking on it and turns on hunt-mode. Corvids are typically so intelligent it boggles the mind but those two are downright suicidal.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Neil Patrick Harris and his family :3:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Baby elephant doesn't quite understand how to use its trunk yet:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Moon Potato posted:

Yes, that was me - thanks! I'm in the process of getting a documentary nonprofit off the ground in rural Northern California right now, and our first projects are focusing on the Arcata Marsh and Wildlife Sanctuary. We're doing a series of documentary shorts about the animals of the marsh (one about the White-tailed Kites will be out in a month or two) and finishing with a feature-length film about the marsh system as a whole. Here's the teaser trailer:
https://vimeo.com/78197694
(Working title. We're hoping to come up with a better one before our next fundraising push.)

I post in The Dorkroom's bird photography thread a lot and you can follow our work through the excessive number of social media/whatever platforms that we maintain.
Website|Facebook|Google+|Flickr|Vimeo|Youtube|Twitter
Yo, just wanna say that everything in this post is awesome and you've gained a fan.

Here's my cats, I guess.

e: I also just found this video of Wil Wheaton being a pretty great person.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04WJEEb33CY

kinmik has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Apr 1, 2014

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Away all Goats posted:

Baby elephant doesn't quite understand how to use its trunk yet:

If you look only at the back end of a baby elephant, it looks like a guy wearing snow pants with a jacket thrown over his back.

Or is this just me?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Moon Potato posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUOdAkVNn6Y

Best part is the baby bird projectile making GBS threads at the camera in super slow motion.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Hi, Cute and Uplifting thread. I had to make the very tough decision this morning (of course on April Fools, to make me seem like a gigantic dick when I tell people) of having my cat put down. Jonah was a very loving cat, and I'd like to request some cute pictures of fluffy and/or Maine Coon type cats and kittens to help me feel better. He was a Maine Coon mix, with the ruff and fluff like they have, and I'm going to miss seeing his fluffy butt around the house.

Jonah. A good cat.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Here's an Italian man performing a trick with mentos & coke and getting really hype about it

edit: poo poo, this wasn't the funny pictures thread. Well, the dude's mirth is infectious at least.

Bushmeister has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Apr 1, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I found it uplifting cause that guy is INSANELY hype.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Alteisen posted:

I found it uplifting cause that guy is INSANELY hype.

:woop::italy:ITALIAAAAA!!:italy::woop:

How can you not get pumped with that kind of energy in the room?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I don't have any cat pics, but here's some more pics of our piglets!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

:8-3

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Weltlich posted:

I don't have any cat pics, but here's some more pics of our piglets!

More, more!
Piglets are the cutest thing in the whole world.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

More, more!
Piglets are the cutest thing in the whole world.

Sure!

My dog is fascinated by the piglets.

Weltlich has a new favorite as of 00:54 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
Magic for Dogs part 2 - Taikuutta Koirille osa 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okuwB9zrncg

• Locked thread