Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Nothing unusual.

I fixed (:airquote:fixed:airquote:) this by restoring an old config. I noticed the disk issue after a reinstall (required for upgrading from 9.1.whatever to 9.2.whatever) and I guess it picked different device IDs for the disks or something. That said, after pulling the cache drive, I decided to run a scrub and I've got problems:

pre:
  pool: zpool0
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
	corruption.  Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
	entire pool from backup.
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
  scan: scrub in progress since Wed Mar 26 22:39:52 2014
        110G scanned out of 5.10T at 422M/s, 3h26m to go
        20K repaired, 2.10% done
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	zpool0      ONLINE       0     0    42
	  raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0    84
	    ada0    ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada1    ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada2    ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada3    ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada4    ONLINE       0     0     5  (repairing)

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

zpool0/Media:<0x0>
:(

Edit: An entire dataset got trashed and after deleting it, scrubs progress at "1/s". This isn't worth trying to fix, I don't think. I'm just going to nuke the pool and get out my backups.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
What UPS would people recommend getting to go with a Synology 1813+? Their site has a long list of supported UPS models and I'm a bit lost as to what features/power levels I might want. (I'm embarrassed to say I've never owned a UPS before this.)

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Giraffe posted:

What UPS would people recommend getting to go with a Synology 1813+? Their site has a long list of supported UPS models and I'm a bit lost as to what features/power levels I might want. (I'm embarrassed to say I've never owned a UPS before this.)

I can tell you that the APC BE350G and BE550G are plug-and-play with Synology's auto-shutdown, are on Amazon's "best-sellers" list and have cheap replacement batteries available.

Based on the rough estimate charts, the 350 should get you at 15-20 minutes of runtime conservatively, and the 550 should be maybe 25-30.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

eddiewalker posted:

I can tell you that the APC BE350G and BE550G are plug-and-play with Synology's auto-shutdown, are on Amazon's "best-sellers" list and have cheap replacement batteries available.

Based on the rough estimate charts, the 350 should get you at 15-20 minutes of runtime conservatively, and the 550 should be maybe 25-30.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I got the APC 550G and my Synology 412+ says it will power it for 5+ hours. I suppose it's a bit ridiculous that I have it set to shut down after 3 minutes of power outage.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Civil posted:

I got the APC 550G and my Synology 412+ says it will power it for 5+ hours. I suppose it's a bit ridiculous that I have it set to shut down after 3 minutes of power outage.

Maybe you missed a decimal point?

My xpenology machine with similar power usage and 4 disks says 45minutes, but I tried to give very conservative numbers because I don't know how accurate that software estimate is.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011
I've got an old APC 400 ES around here somewhere from my dad. Is this something one would use for a small Xeon server with automatic shutdown etc? Otherwise I'd need to put a new one on my shopping list.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Oh shoot. The BE350G doesn't have USB. I withdraw that suggestion.

The BE550G is great, though.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I use a cyber power pfc1000lcd I think is what it's called. Small works well and the virtual appliance in esx is nice.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just ordered an ES550VA because I'd been looking at them for a while, and it was only £60.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

eddiewalker posted:

Maybe you missed a decimal point?

It said something north of 20,000 seconds.

I just checked again, and it says a much more reasonable ~1 hr. Maybe some strange power calibration thing, dunno.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wheel! Of! 4chan!
Nov 28, 2007
The voice is white, erasing mine
Are there any NAS boxes that support either zfs or btrfs? It seems like the netgear readynas boxes do. Any other options?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Question for the Synology users out there...

I set up my 1513+ with a single SHR1 volume. I can't seem to map the root folder though in Windows 8.1, is there some trick to this or do I just have to resign myself to having one top level folder that I map?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I'm not seeing any easy way to do it, you can enable symlinks in shared folders and then symlink to /, but I hit a permissions error trying to access it through Windows (root only?). Not sure why you would need to do this anyway though, all your data will be living in /volume1 and should show up in explorer as a nice tree of shared folders.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
hmmm, maybe I just need to create some folders and play with it some more.

So far all I've done is configure it for a single volume and added the Plex package which shows up in it's own folder. When I go to try to map it the only folder it gives me the ability to map is the Plex folder.

Should I create one parent folder for all of my movies, music, photos, etc. and then leave the packages folders for things like Plex, Downloads, & Security Station outside of that? Or am I best off putting those packages as well in the same folder?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you added a shared folder? Your path will end up looking like \\NAS\share

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Caged posted:

Have you added a shared folder? Your path will end up looking like \\NAS\share

no, haven't added any yet... this is my first time using a NAS as opposed to a DAS, I guess I was just trying to figure out a way to share \\NAS\ (in this case \\DiskStation\.

So I should create a folder, name it anything, and then share it?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Make "video" "music" and "photos" shares. Inside "video," separate TV and Movies into their own folders. Leave the Plex share for it's settings and metadata.

If you split them up like that, Plex and the default Syno media indexer will play nice, so you can use other packages like the iTunes server on the same media files.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MMD3 posted:

no, haven't added any yet... this is my first time using a NAS as opposed to a DAS, I guess I was just trying to figure out a way to share \\NAS\ (in this case \\DiskStation\.

So I should create a folder, name it anything, and then share it?

Don't touch the file system at all, just create a new shared folder and it will go into /volume1/ by itself. You can't use the root of a device to dump stuff in, there has to be a share setup on the device itself.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

eddiewalker posted:

Make "video" "music" and "photos" shares. Inside "video," separate TV and Movies into their own folders. Leave the Plex share for it's settings and metadata.

If you split them up like that, Plex and the default Syno media indexer will play nice, so you can use other packages like the iTunes server on the same media files.

So I did this, but now I would have to mount each of the folders individually as their own drive in order to browse them in windows explorer right?

My hope was to just mount one top level folder as say E:\ and navigate it like any other folder.

As it is I can now I can still only see my disk station under network\other devices.

If I click on it there it pulls up quickconnect.to\user and I'm able to access things through the web browser but really I just want to navigate via windows explorer.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
JPEG? :frogout:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If its that big of a deal to you, put all those subfolders into one "media" share.

If you care about any non-Plex media packages, you'll need to tell the Media Index Service where those subfolders are. That's in the Syno control panel.

As for your Windows browsing, map the network share as a drive and give it a drive letter. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-shortcut-map-network-drive#1TC=windows-7

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So is this an unusual thing to want from your NAS drive then? Does everyone with a Synology just browse/edit/move their files via the web browser interface?

I guess I'm just really confused as to why this seems to be such an odd thing to want to do. It just seems like it would be odd to map each individual media folder to a drive letter rather than just map a parent folder.

Gangsta Lean
Dec 3, 2001

Calm, relaxed...what could be more fulfilling?
Mine shows up as a computer at the top, next to where your Gibson is located. I can browse to all my shares by clicking on it up there, or with UNC paths like \\Gibson\\Music, \\Gibson\\Photos. I don't see a reason to map them to drive letters at all. It also shows up in the devices section, but I don't use that.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Access control is done per-share, so if you split it up, you can have finer control over accounts.

My wife is read-only on my music and photo shares, but has full control of her own, for example.

If you put music and video in separate shares you can map them both and both will be at the top level of your Windows Explorer without having to click down one subfolder every time.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Gangsta Lean posted:

Mine shows up as a computer at the top, next to where your Gibson is located. I can browse to all my shares by clicking on it up there, or with UNC paths like \\Gibson\\Music, \\Gibson\\Photos. I don't see a reason to map them to drive letters at all. It also shows up in the devices section, but I don't use that.

well I'd be totally alright with it showing up as a computer like that, I'm just not sure what I missed in configuration to get it to show up like that.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
You know, this is maybe tangential to the topic, but I was curious if any of you maintained an interest in the more professional side of network file management. See, I'm looking for a good client/server backup suite that upstages to RDX (essentially e-sata drives with armor) instead of tape. Preferably, the backup server would run Linux, but winserver is doable. Maybe I'm just terrible at research, but the best solution doesn't seem forthcoming unless I wanna go back to tape.

Hoping the goon hivemind has a suggestion, it's never lead me wrong.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Ask in the enterprise storage thread.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MMD3 posted:

well I'd be totally alright with it showing up as a computer like that, I'm just not sure what I missed in configuration to get it to show up like that.

Have you turned on Windows file sharing?

Gangsta Lean
Dec 3, 2001

Yeah, check to see if that's turned on. If you're running DSM 5, go to Control Panel, File Services, Win/Mac/NFS tab, and see if Enable Windows file service is turned on. Probably need to make sure Workgroup is set to the same as your Windows box's workgroup. Mine also hasEMB 2 and Large MTU enabled but I don't think that matters.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Gangsta Lean posted:

Yeah, check to see if that's turned on. If you're running DSM 5, go to Control Panel, File Services, Win/Mac/NFS tab, and see if Enable Windows file service is turned on. Probably need to make sure Workgroup is set to the same as your Windows box's workgroup. Mine also hasEMB 2 and Large MTU enabled but I don't think that matters.

Yup, I've got it turned on, it has been this whole time:

When I get home tonight I'll try mapping my individual media folders and see if that'll get me where I wan to be... I guess it's just a very different way of thinking about managing my files, might just take some re-learning.

Gangsta Lean
Dec 3, 2001

Do you need to enable Network discovery for your private network in Windows maybe?
Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

When I set my Synology system up the only weird thing I had to do was http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=80114, but that's only for permissions. I'm pretty sure I could see the NAS as a computer before doing that.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

thebigcow posted:

Ask in the enterprise storage thread.

I don't know how I missed that when I went looking through the topic list before. Thanks.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
okay, I mapped my individual media folders and now they show up and are browsable through explorer. I suppose from a sharing perspective it makes sense to have them as separate drives, just was a shift from how I'm used to working with drives.

Thanks for the help!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
one more quick question hopefully.

I started copying my tv shows folder over to the NAS from a USB3 4TB drive. The folder was 500GB and when I left home it was about 13h in and had ~1hr remaining.

The transfer speed windows was staying pretty consistent at ~11MB/s.

Knowing that I have another ~3TB of data to transfer, is there something I can attribute the slow transfer speeds to? Any obvious bottlenecks that I can work on fixing before starting on the rest of my transfer?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Are you transferring the stuff over the network, or did you plug the drive directly in the diskstation?

e. I see the 1513+ has both usb 2 and usb 3 ports, so if you did plug it in directly doublecheck that.

Also, depending on what other things your nas is doing at the same time, you might get bottlenecked by the cpu. If it's, like, generating thumbnails for a shitload of photos or something.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 2, 2014

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

What is the connection between your PC with the USB drive and the NAS? If it's anything but wired GigE you're doing it wrong. I'm not familiar with these Synology boxes, but if they have USB3 ports and you can initiate a local file copy somehow, then that should be faster than pushing all the data over the network.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Flipperwaldt posted:

Are you transferring the stuff over the network, or did you plug the drive directly in the diskstation?

e. I see the 1513+ has both usb 2 and usb 3 ports, so if you did plug it in directly doublecheck that.

Also, depending on what other things your nas is doing at the same time, you might get bottlenecked by the cpu. If it's, like, generating thumbnails for a shitload of photos or something.

over a wired network... I should definitely plug it directly into the diskstation, dunno why I forgot about this.

Would the NAS be automatically generating thumbnails or is that something I'd have to ask it to do? Most of my photography files are RAW (.DNG) and I have about 1TB to transfer over as my next project. Lightroom generates my previews but I don't anticipate it will have to recreate them all if I copy the entire folder structure over and just point LR to the folder.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

MMD3 posted:

one more quick question hopefully.

I started copying my tv shows folder over to the NAS from a USB3 4TB drive. The folder was 500GB and when I left home it was about 13h in and had ~1hr remaining.

The transfer speed windows was staying pretty consistent at ~11MB/s.

Knowing that I have another ~3TB of data to transfer, is there something I can attribute the slow transfer speeds to? Any obvious bottlenecks that I can work on fixing before starting on the rest of my transfer?

Is this over gigabit ethernet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

MMD3 posted:

Would the NAS be automatically generating thumbnails or is that something I'd have to ask it to do? Most of my photography files are RAW (.DNG) and I have about 1TB to transfer over as my next project. Lightroom generates my previews but I don't anticipate it will have to recreate them all if I copy the entire folder structure over and just point LR to the folder.
AFAIK it will generate thumbnails if a) you're using the Photo Station package and b) the pictures are in a common web viewable filetype like jpg, png, gif or bmp. The thumbnails would serve to save bandwidth and speed up the use of the Photo Station package and nothing else as far as I'm aware. EDIT So if Lightroom creates jpg previews, Photo Station will create its own, smaller jpg previews from that. If you have no use for Photo Station, just don't install it/disable it/uninstall it.

You can check for yourself. There's a resource monitor thingy that has a processes tab on it. The thumbnail creation process has a name that starts with thumb. Another heavy process is Photo Station's face recognition, but that isn't on by default.

And yeah, plugging in the drive directly is preferred, also because you have to babysit it less, so it's more ok if it should still take a long time.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 2, 2014