Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

martinlutherbling posted:

I'm looking for a really mild moisturizer to use on my face. My skin is really sensitive, so I get breakouts if I wash my face with even plain warm water and don't moisturize after, and if I moisturize with anything even slightly greasy or thick.
I've tried maybe half a dozen brands and the only one I've tried that's worked well is some kind of Vaseline lotion that isn't made anymore. Most are way too thick—I need a lotion that's pretty much the consistency of liquid.
Being able to buy a large-ish bottle of it at your average grocery store or Wal Mart is a big plus too, I'd prefer not to break the bank on fancy stuff. I'm a dude if that makes a difference.
Edit: Right now I have Vaseline Men 24 hour, Vaseline with Aloe, Olay age defying, Jergens Skin Firming, Vaseline Total Moisture, and Aveeno daily moisture at the house , none of which I can use on my face regularly.

I use Dr. Jart Water Fuse Water-Sure gel. It's a moisturizer in gel form, very lightweight, but also very moisturizing. It has hyaluronic acid to keep the moisture in. It says it's free of fragrances but it definitely has a fragrance. Fortunately, once it absorbs the smell goes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Citizen Z posted:

I need a suggestion for some tough work pants that don't look like poo poo. I'm an IT guy for a manufacturing company and while I mostly sit in my office and do nerd things there, I occasionally have to go help our desktop guys with problems on the production lines. Seems like I wreck a pair of pants every other week or so when I'm out there. My jeans have been caught and ripped on stuff, and if I'm stupid enough to wear slacks of khakis, I get some sort of unspeakable oil/dirt mixture on them that won't come out.

I can go for cheap or tough, but I need it to not look completely like crap. I'm a bigger guy(42x34 or 36 depending on the cut) as well.

Edit: Jeans, slacks or khakis/chinos, whatever. I can wear whatever.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-taclite-jean-cut.html

I treat these like poo poo and they have worked fine. And they don't look like cargos either.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

Citizen Z posted:

I need a suggestion for some tough work pants that don't look like poo poo. I'm an IT guy for a manufacturing company and while I mostly sit in my office and do nerd things there, I occasionally have to go help our desktop guys with problems on the production lines. Seems like I wreck a pair of pants every other week or so when I'm out there. My jeans have been caught and ripped on stuff, and if I'm stupid enough to wear slacks of khakis, I get some sort of unspeakable oil/dirt mixture on them that won't come out.

I can go for cheap or tough, but I need it to not look completely like crap. I'm a bigger guy(42x34 or 36 depending on the cut) as well.

Anything from Duluth Trading Company made with the Firehose fabric. I tend to destroy pants in the same kinds of conditions you're in (manufacturing floor), and these last me about 4-5 years each. They make cargo versions, straight khaki versions, as well as a dressier "almost-slacks" version. The 8oz weight is what I get exclusively, though. They also have a lifetime guarantee. I had a pair with a zipper that didn't want to stay up and didn't get around to turning them in for over three years, and it was a no questions asked replacement.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Duck and Cover posted:

Crazy crazy crazy man.

Clean one though.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

insularis posted:

Anything from Duluth Trading Company made with the Firehose fabric. I tend to destroy pants in the same kinds of conditions you're in (manufacturing floor), and these last me about 4-5 years each. They make cargo versions, straight khaki versions, as well as a dressier "almost-slacks" version. The 8oz weight is what I get exclusively, though. They also have a lifetime guarantee. I had a pair with a zipper that didn't want to stay up and didn't get around to turning them in for over three years, and it was a no questions asked replacement.

This looks like what I need, thanks!

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
LL Bean Katahdin Iron Works double stitched pants are freaking awesome work pants. I own one pair now and will acquire another two pairs next fall.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
+1 for the LL Bean stuff. I started buying all my poo poo from there (bed sheets, comforter, blankets, boots, shoes, etc.) because the quality is awesome and they have life time warranties on everything.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Recommend me a prepaid credit card.
I would like one with little to no fees and prefer one I can load with cash at a B&M. I would also like it to decline any charges that exceed the loaded amount without charging a fee.

Before the debate starts, I think everyone should have a prepaid card with $20-50 on it in their wallet.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You mean a prepaid debit card?

I'd go with a Liquid from Chase. It'll run you $5 a month but you won't get hit to use it or reload it or go over. There's other ones (like the Walmart one) that are free, but they charge you for doing certain things with it.

Though, is ask yourself if you really need it, and if it's worth the cost. People tend over complicate their finances for no good reason.

PRADA SLUT has a new favorite as of 19:06 on Mar 31, 2014

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Yes. Anything with a CC logo on it that can be used to sign up for trials, have a "CC on file", make purchases from not so trustworthy sources, etc.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Citizen Z posted:

Dickies for extra-cheap option, Carhartt for more expensive but considerably higher quality. Carhartt pants will last you forever and stand up to nails and stuff, so they should last you quite a while.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Carrheart pants are pretty great but I think Dickies pass as dress pants better. Both are cheap enough to try out though.

And yea, having a prepaid card is great if you travel a lot for work, so many times have I had hundreds or thousands of dollars of charges stuck on my in incidentals card because some clerk hit the wrong button or whatever. I used to just carry an old card that I canceled to put down for incidentals but lately hotels seem to run them to check if they are active.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

bunnielab posted:

Carrheart pants are pretty great but I think Dickies pass as dress pants better. Both are cheap enough to try out though.

Seconding the bolded part, if you get the ones that don't have reinforced knees or cargo pockets they're perfectly passable as dress pants. I've worn these for the past ~10 years working in both photo printer field service and more recently enterprise IT support (with about 90% of my time spent in a business-casual dress code office) and never had anyone complain about appearance, and they've held up just fine.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

oh, Carhartts are too "rugged-looking" for an office-type environment, but he mentioned being "on production lines" where they wouldn't look so out-of-place

vs

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
I see the consistently reoccurring disappointment and failure you will continue to cause yourselves.
Anyone have any recommendations on massage chairs or at least a place I can find some intelligent discussions on the best ones? Am I going to have to finance an Inada Sogno Dreamwave? I need a pretty intense one.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Robawesome posted:

oh, Carhartts are too "rugged-looking" for an office-type environment, but he mentioned being "on production lines" where they wouldn't look so out-of-place

IT is in a weird spot, dress code wise. We work in the office, deal with execs and outside vendors and such, and then sometimes have to go crawl around equipment and racks on the line. Carhartts are definitely too much, but the non-cargo Dickies look like a decent option, as well. I'll probably buy a few different pairs and see what works.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

kmcormick9 posted:

Yes. Anything with a CC logo on it that can be used to sign up for trials, have a "CC on file", make purchases from not so trustworthy sources, etc.

You can do that with a prepaid card. If the premium is worth it to you, that's what I'd do. $5 a month for a Liquid is probably your best bet.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Geektox posted:

Sounds like you want the Canon PowerShot SX160 IS. Honestly it takes pretty bad pictures but if you aren't a ~pro photographer~ it shouldn't bother you too much.

Be forewarned though, if you zoom in that much you will never get a good shot at night and no amount of image stabilization will help.

(Also, megapixel counts and xx TIMES OPTICAL ZOOM is marketing hype and not to be trusted as indicators of camera quality)

How is optical zoom a marketing gimmick? Or are you thinking of digital zoom?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Can anyone recommend a CD cleaner/repair kit?

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Stevie Lee posted:

The Pentax X-5 is pretty great and can be had for under $200 now. Meets all those requirements.

Thanks man - that's a sweet wee camera!

And thanks to Albu-quirky Guy and Geektox, too, for the advice. I appreciate all your help :)

Amphigory has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Apr 2, 2014

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

BonoMan posted:

Optical zoom in "x"'s is just a ratio between the widest and narrowest focal lengths--if I make a camera with a super wide wide-angle and a really mediocre telephoto zoom, I can still market it as "fifty bazillion x zoom" even though when people tend to shop for "more zoom x" they really want "longer focal length at telephoto".

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

BonoMan posted:

overdesigned posted:

Optical zoom in "x"'s is just a ratio between the widest and narrowest focal lengths--if I make a camera with a super wide wide-angle and a really mediocre telephoto zoom, I can still market it as "fifty bazillion x zoom" even though when people tend to shop for "more zoom x" they really want "longer focal length at telephoto".

Yeah, basically this. In the case of the X5, for example, it's going from 22.3mm to 580mm, which is a pretty large range, but in actuality the lens is 4mm to 104mm and gets the extra reach because of the tiny sensor size. And because they've made the lens to cover such a wide range in such a small package, it means some serious concessions are made in terms of optical performance. The maximum aperture on the camera wouldn't make it great for hand held-night shots, for example. Plus the zoom lens is never going to match the image quality of something like a powershot s120 which doesn't have to cover that range and has a much bigger sensor.

Of course none of that really matters much for a vacation camera to take pictures of your family with.

What does matter though is that the more you zoom in, the harder it is to do handheld shots. As a rule of thumb to get the best handheld shots you could have a shutter speed equal to or greater than the focal length, so at 580mm on the X5 you'd need a shutter speed of 1/600 for a non-shaky shot, but I don't know how many extra stops the IS lets you get away with.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Any recommendations for a computer desk under a 100 bucks that can hold 2 21in monitors and a laptop? I'd like it to be as sturdy as possible. I work in a smaller space so unfortunately I can't use the L shaped desks(as much as I want to :-()

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
$30 over $100 but worth it.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89806740/#/S29836976

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Can someone recommend a body shaver? Namely for my balls.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Vegetable posted:

Can someone recommend a body shaver? Namely for my balls.

Norelco Bodygroom

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

In sort of the same vein, can anyone recommend a clipper/shaver thing that both my husband and I could use? He shaves his head down to stubble and trims his beard and my head stays partially shaved. It would need to come with some guides I guess since I keep my sides longer than his hair.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Inudeku posted:

Any recommendations for a computer desk under a 100 bucks that can hold 2 21in monitors and a laptop? I'd like it to be as sturdy as possible. I work in a smaller space so unfortunately I can't use the L shaped desks(as much as I want to :-()

Two sawhorses as the legs and a literal hollow core door as the table top will be the best combo of strong/cheap/spacious. Costs about $75 tops.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

In short, I need better socks. I'm pretty much always on my feet/walking because I don't have a car; my legs and the bus system get me around. I wear them inside my apartment because tile floor is cold and slippers feel weird sometimes. But buying multipacks of whatever's cheap at Walmart just leads to a lot of socks with holes in them after ~6 months. Is anything more durable and cost effective than buying one pair of Smartwool at a time? In case style matters, I like ankle socks. Not ones that cover my calves, not ones that are hidden/no-show.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Kirkland socks at costco are p. good

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

LivesInGrey posted:

In short, I need better socks. I'm pretty much always on my feet/walking because I don't have a car; my legs and the bus system get me around. I wear them inside my apartment because tile floor is cold and slippers feel weird sometimes. But buying multipacks of whatever's cheap at Walmart just leads to a lot of socks with holes in them after ~6 months. Is anything more durable and cost effective than buying one pair of Smartwool at a time? In case style matters, I like ankle socks. Not ones that cover my calves, not ones that are hidden/no-show.

If you want to stick to wool I'd go with Darn Tough.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

LivesInGrey posted:

These People Socks might be a little longer than you're looking for, but I loving love them.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Any thoughts on fixed blade knives? Primarily for hiking/camping so it'll be paracorded to the frame of a pack. Bonuses for it being light and coming with a nice sheath.

Searching the forum fails me for some kind of knife sub-forum.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ICE UP SON posted:

Any thoughts on fixed blade knives? Primarily for hiking/camping so it'll be paracorded to the frame of a pack. Bonuses for it being light and coming with a nice sheath.

Kniferating.com has always been solid for recommendations on folding knives for me, I don't see why they would be worse for fixed blades.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

ICE UP SON posted:

Check this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417183

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

ICE UP SON posted:

You can knife-nerd it in that TFR thread too, they will no doubt give you good recommendations, but here is mine: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000G0HP5C/ 2lbs is a bit on the heavy side but it's also a bigger knife, and the sheath is a good one (with an included sharpener).

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

ICE UP SON posted:

Let me save you a trip to the knife thread. Call sky shark at his shop or email him. His shop is at http://www.onestopknifeshop.com/

BK16. Has sheath and extra handles as well.
http://www.onestopknifeshop.com/store/ka-bar-bk16-becker-short-drop-point.html
http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Becker-Knife-Point-Short/dp/B0073GZR2U

king of the bongo has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Apr 6, 2014

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

king of the bongo posted:

Let me save you a trip to the knife thread. Call sky shark at his shop or email him. His shop is at http://www.onestopknifeshop.com/

BK16. Has sheath and extra handles as well.

I don't like that recommendation because it is so big and heavy. I think a stainless mora would be a better fit in my opinion.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
So I'm thinking about buying a Fire TV for my parents because it seems like it would be easy for them to use/setup. Unless there's a better option for middle aged boomers that are bad with electronics that you guys could recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
A friend of mine has a small side business where he wires houses (new builds only) for smart home integration. I then come in on the backend and do the configuration with the actual devices/routers/etc. The brain he installs is usually small and out of the way and the customer rarely has room for a machine room or anything like that so there's usually no pre-installed keyboard/mouse/monitor.

Thus I'm looking for an HDMI and VGA enabled portable monitor/keyboard/mouse combo. Essentially a laptop with no CPU in it and accepts inputs rather than just outputting to a display!

• Locked thread