Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Whalley posted:

Tom Paris made the Delta Flyer on his spare time in a resource-deprived starship without any training beyond "he likes 20th century pickups."

There is nothing to indicate that Voyager was ever resource deprived except that they kept saying it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Lowen SoDium posted:

There is nothing to indicate that Voyager was ever resource deprived except that they kept saying it was.

In case anybody hasn't seen it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k
Voyager Torpedo Use

And of course we have the shuttles.

Fucked-Up Little Dog fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 31, 2014

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Rewatching TMP I'm struck with the pointlessness of anything to do with Sonak, except maybe to imply that Kirk has some sort of racial determinism thing going where Vulcans make good science officers. His whole existence in the script seems to be to establish that the transporters can kill you if things go wrong, something that is never referenced again as they are used routinely and without incident over the course of the rest of the film, and every film that follows.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 31, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That's about it. Kirk has a not-spock second in command. He dies horribly in a cool sci fi way. Now they have to go pick up Spock.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Otisburg posted:

Rewatching TMP I'm struck with the pointlessness of anything to do with Sonak, except maybe to imply that Kirk has some sort of racial determinism thing going where Vulcans make good science officers.

That bugged me even when I was 9 and watched it the first time. It's hella racist - "I'd still like a Vulcan in that position." Really? Vulcans can't do other stuff on a starship? Other people can't be science officers?

That's why ST6 is so good, because they actually confront their racism. Spock, for example, admits he was biased in favor of Valeris and was disinclined to suspect her because of his admiration for her achievements as a Vulcan, or something.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

There's nothing to indicate that Voyager was ever in the Delta Quadrant except that they kept saying it was.

I mean, execution whatever, but the concept says that they were resource deprived, the script says that they were resource deprived, everything says that they were resource deprived, let's pretend for a second that they were fuckin' resource deprived.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I remember seeing this video in the thread, but it's really applicable here as far as Voyager goes:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Whalley posted:

There's nothing to indicate that Voyager was ever in the Delta Quadrant except that they kept saying it was.

I mean, execution whatever, but the concept says that they were resource deprived, the script says that they were resource deprived, everything says that they were resource deprived, let's pretend for a second that they were fuckin' resource deprived.

I think Lowen's point was that the script does a heck of a lot of telling and approximately zero showing as far as resource deprivation.

They say they're in the Delta Quadrant and they encounter weird species and go weird places though occasionally they run into familiar things, and they keep track of how long it will take to get home and the vast majority of 'plots' (inasmuch as Voyager has a plot) are driven by the desire to get home.

They say they're short on resources and have replicator rations and so on but it never seems to make much of an impact, they have a cook and they grow their own plants and Tom gambles replicator rations and they go into the coffee nebula but as much as they say 'oh we have a limited supply of torpedos!' it never stops them from firing torpedos. They talk about shortages but it rarely seems to have an impact on what's going on.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Apollodorus posted:

That bugged me even when I was 9 and watched it the first time. It's hella racist - "I'd still like a Vulcan in that position." Really? Vulcans can't do other stuff on a starship? Other people can't be science officers?

That's why ST6 is so good, because they actually confront their racism. Spock, for example, admits he was biased in favor of Valeris and was disinclined to suspect her because of his admiration for her achievements as a Vulcan, or something.
It's amazing Nog wasn't put in the quartermaster corps or something when you put it that way.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Nessus posted:

It's amazing Nog wasn't put in the quartermaster corps or something when you put it that way.

Big-eared freak would steal everything, obviously.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Flipswitch posted:

I remember seeing this video in the thread, but it's really applicable here as far as Voyager goes:

Well I sure as heck hadn't see it before! (4 posts up :lol::lol::lol:)

The "Let's take out the garbage FIRE EVERYTHING" has brought tears

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

hailthefish posted:

Big-eared freak would steal everything, obviously.

Hobson was right. Hell he probably learned it from reading about Kirk in the academy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Best gif

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The other version is better.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I love how Damar doesn't move at all. The guards are freaking out and he just stands there. I think he actually smirks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I feel like "Rejoining" is "Meridian" with a less lovely premise. In "Meridian", Dax decides she wants to give up everything she has (including her corporeal form) to be with a dude she literally just met, but it doesn't work out because technobabble. In "Rejoining", Dax decides she wants to give up almost everything she has to be with someone she once loved and is forbidden from being with, but it doesn't work out because the other person doesn't feel the same way.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I love how Damar doesn't move at all. The guards are freaking out and he just stands there. I think he actually smirks.

I love how when the next Weyoun turns up, Damar starts cracking up. "Maybe you should talk to Worf again!"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Has anyone from DS9 successfully set foot on Earth without getting flung hundreds of years into the past? I'm almost halfway through the show and I'm beginning to wonder.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Fister Roboto posted:

Has anyone from DS9 successfully set foot on Earth without getting flung hundreds of years into the past? I'm almost halfway through the show and I'm beginning to wonder.

They go to the Sisko's restaurant a bunch.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah. Part of the Changeling infiltration arc takes place on Earth. Homefront and Paradise Lost are quite scarily prescient.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

I love how when the next Weyoun turns up, Damar starts cracking up. "Maybe you should talk to Worf again!"

There's only one Damar.

Every time I watch this scene - and I watch it a lot - I always cringe when I hear that snap. We only have one Jeffrey Combs, he's precious! :ohdear:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The neck snap and witty come back from Damar is great followed by when Weyoun drinks the poisoned kanar and says "Oh yes, that's quite poisonous."

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

The emblem of the Chinese National Space Agency.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

The emblem of the Chinese National Space Agency.

Pretty sneaky way to try and get Treksters on your side, China, but if you wanted that you should have kept the actual Communism!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

DrSunshine posted:

Thinking about it, it might be more efficient energywise to have "set" transporters like that, instead of having to recompute coordinates and whatnot for every individual jump.

It's supposed to be a lot easier to transport something between transporter pads but I don't know if that ever came up as a plot point.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, then he says "they'll just clone another, you know" or something like that and walks away.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah, then he says "they'll just clone another, you know" or something like that and walks away.

I love that scene so much. Damar witnesses a freaking murder right infront of him and laughs. Even if he hates Weyoun's guts, it's pretty nuts to react to a spontaneous violent murder with laughter. That said, Damar rules and is probably my favorite DS9 character. I love when the next Weyoun shows up and Damar says "Weeeelll, hello!" sarcastically while sipping kanar.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

The episode where they use a torpedo as a sort of starting pistol really takes the cake. A supposedly valuable, limited resource, and they waste one to signal the start of a loving space grand prix.

Perhaps even more problematic than the torps, though, is where they got their dozen or so shuttles for Chakotay to crash.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Otisburg posted:

Rewatching TMP I'm struck with the pointlessness of anything to do with Sonak, except maybe to imply that Kirk has some sort of racial determinism thing going where Vulcans make good science officers. His whole existence in the script seems to be to establish that the transporters can kill you if things go wrong, something that is never referenced again as they are used routinely and without incident over the course of the rest of the film, and every film that follows.

If we want to go CineD-lite on it, it could be interpreted as a commentary on the franchise's inability to get past Leonard Nimoy. Sonak is a stand-in for Xon, who was intended as a replacement for Spock in the Phase 2 series, because Nimoy was still fighting Paramount over money issues ~wasn't interested~ in coming back, but the producers and executives saw a "Vulcan officer" as integral to the success of Star Trek regardless of who actually played the character. The transporter accident suggests that an attempt to transplant another actor into that role would have destroyed the character and rendered it unusable, and forces the (production) crew to make the journey (spend the money) to get the real article.

Of course, the real reason is that the transporter accident happened to create a plausible reason for why there is a vacancy in the Science Officer position when Spock drops by. Kirk's insistence on a Vulcan reflects the fact that he deeply misses his friend Spock.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Thwomp posted:

So when Voyager is out in the middle of nowhere and supplies of dilithium/antimatter are in short/non-constant supply, you've got to save where you can. Or since replicators use whatever matter is flowing into the engines at the time, maybe you're constantly running out of hydrogen to build your steak dinner out of so you gotta ration those basic building blocks.

Not quite. The replicators don't go quite so far as to transmute elements, and supposedly the less molecular rearranging it has to do, the less energy it takes. You've got a base "feed stock" for various replicated stuff, and a special foodstuffs "feed stock" for food; you can use one to make the other, but it takes more energy. But that said, especially in Voyager's case, there should be recycling such that you shouldn't run out any time soon.

Also, only in Voyager is the notion of running out of literally the most abundant element in the universe not laughable.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Apple Jax posted:

I love that scene so much. Damar witnesses a freaking murder right infront of him and laughs. Even if he hates Weyoun's guts, it's pretty nuts to react to a spontaneous violent murder with laughter. That said, Damar rules and is probably my favorite DS9 character. I love when the next Weyoun shows up and Damar says "Weeeelll, hello!" sarcastically while sipping kanar.

Most definitely. Damar somehow slipped under my radar the first time I watched DS9, but he really jumped out at me in my second recent watch. In hindsight, I don't know how I didn't recognize him as so important on my first time through. He might be the most important single character to the Dominion War plot working so well, in my mind. That and Garak. :allears:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Railing Kill posted:

Most definitely. Damar somehow slipped under my radar the first time I watched DS9, but he really jumped out at me in my second recent watch. In hindsight, I don't know how I didn't recognize him as so important on my first time through. He might be the most important single character to the Dominion War plot working so well, in my mind. That and Garak. :allears:

I've said it earlier in the thread, but one of the best things about Deep Space Nine is how it avoided flanderizing the different races unlike other Treks. Almost every Cardassian, Ferengi, Bajoran, human, hell even the Klingons for the most part, had a distinct character that was SHAPED by their upbringing and race, but not defined by it. Cardassians in particular are a drat good example of that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Apple Jax posted:

I love when the next Weyoun shows up and Damar says "Weeeelll, hello!" sarcastically while sipping kanar.

Maybe you should talk to Worf again.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
If you Damar fans missed it, I posted these videos of Casey Biggs doing bizarre wine commercials in a Trek thread a while back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfTaMzV4oFo
Looks like he's done even more since I last checked.

Kanar, mysterious, light, refreshing. Like a Taspar egg without its shell. Should a legate bother with such elegance? Of course.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

armoredgorilla posted:

I've said it earlier in the thread, but one of the best things about Deep Space Nine is how it avoided flanderizing the different races unlike other Treks. Almost every Cardassian, Ferengi, Bajoran, human, hell even the Klingons for the most part, had a distinct character that was SHAPED by their upbringing and race, but not defined by it. Cardassians in particular are a drat good example of that.

Yeah, between Garak, Dukat and Damar there is a lot of variety, but you can definitely see that they're all products of the same society.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
That's a very important reason why I love Cardassians. Even incidental characters like the guy that thought Kira was his daughter are distinct people and not just foreheads.
That and Damar is adorable. Sorry if that's weird, but I have a terrible crush on Damar and Garak.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Yeah the Cardassians were by the far the most fleshed out species in all of Trek. Yes they were facist assholes, but they also had a culture of art and literature and valued things apart from war and battle. They all had varying personalities as well.

On a different subject, are all the Star Trek: Strange new worlds loving terrible? I picked up volume 9 from a second hand shop and my god the writing is just terrible fan wank. I KNOW it was written by fans but jesus the stories are terrible.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Apple Jax posted:

If you Damar fans missed it, I posted these videos of Casey Biggs doing bizarre wine commercials in a Trek thread a while back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfTaMzV4oFo
Looks like he's done even more since I last checked.

Kanar, mysterious, light, refreshing. Like a Taspar egg without its shell. Should a legate bother with such elegance? Of course.

It's like someone watch the Old Spice commercials and decided they were perfect for selling wine.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

armoredgorilla posted:

Absolutely. You've got slimy, scheming Cardassians like Dukat and loveable old Cardassians in loving Bill Cosby sweaters like the dude who thought Kira was his daughter.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Of course, the real reason is that the transporter accident happened to create a plausible reason for why there is a vacancy in the Science Officer position when Spock drops by. Kirk's insistence on a Vulcan reflects the fact that he deeply misses his friend Spock.

People who only date folks who look like their ex are creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

armoredgorilla posted:

True.
But if you think about it, in TNG you mostly met either scientist job aliens or military job aliens, and very few others in between. So it would be a bit hard to compress a life story in between open hails and their ship blowing up.

• Locked thread