Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Maybe it helps to be from a rural area to understand where the show is coming from? I'm not gonna claim I've seen every episode, but it's always come off more as anti-yuppie/suburbanite than anti-liberal.

The other part of it is they made digs at the insular worldview of pretty much everyone on the show all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

comes along bort posted:

The other part of it is they made digs at the insular worldview of pretty much everyone on the show all the time.

Yea that's also pretty important. Hank and his friends, for the most part, are the good guys but they also have a decent bit of episodes where they're just flat wrong and stupid. Like when the Laotian neighbors moved in and it was an entire episode of 'Hank is a fuckin moron about Asian people and even though Khan's kinda a dick Hank is straight up kinda a racist here'. It shows the people as good, deep down, but it's also pretty honest about the flaws they have.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea that's also pretty important. Hank and his friends, for the most part, are the good guys but they also have a decent bit of episodes where they're just flat wrong and stupid. Like when the Laotian neighbors moved in and it was an entire episode of 'Hank is a fuckin moron about Asian people and even though Khan's kinda a dick Hank is straight up kinda a racist here'. It shows the people as good, deep down, but it's also pretty honest about the flaws they have.

"He's not Chinese, he's Laoutian. Ain't ya, mister, Kahn?"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

I'm not veg in any way but I've always thought I would love to take someone up on this someday. Send them a weekly report of every chance I had to eat an animal along with a reminder that I avoid eating animals out of sense of a personal values rather than an actual counting of how many of them I've saved by not having a chicken nugget, chiding them for not having the same dedication to their word and personal values seeing as they haven't had a massive coronary yet.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
King of the Hill's politics are kind of hard to nail down. The show goes after liberals like in the above-mentioned examples but Mega-Lo-Mart is a pretty harsh criticism of the effect Walmart has had on small communities, and there was an episode that lampooned and criticized evangelical megachurches. My friend told me that there was a late season episode with a remarkable non-lovely moral about gentrification but I haven't seen it. And it's not on Netflix anymore :(

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I think King of the Hill is a pretty accurate portrayal of small town America. Hank Hill is a good guy but he's got hang-ups and preconceived notions. I like the episode where he meets George W. Bush and is horrified to find he has a weak handshake , which throws his entire political views into question.

And yeah the episode about gentrification is pretty good. White kids start moving into the predominately Latino neighborhood that Hank's co-worker Enrique lives in (which is actually the fault of Peggy who was trying her hand as a Realtor).

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 31, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Swan Oat posted:

King of the Hill's politics are kind of hard to nail down. The show goes after liberals like in the above-mentioned examples but Mega-Lo-Mart is a pretty harsh criticism of the effect Walmart has had on small communities, and there was an episode that lampooned and criticized evangelical megachurches. My friend told me that there was a late season episode with a remarkable non-lovely moral about gentrification but I haven't seen it. And it's not on Netflix anymore :(

Yea basically the hispanic side character's neighborhood got ruined by hipsters who wanted an 'authentic' place and generally took over and acted like huge assholes until they got tricked out before the dude could lose his house. It was a pretty strong message that poo poo like that is objectively bad for communities (though the hispanic guy was partially to blame being a bit financially dumb. Basically there were faults on both sides that were made way worse rapidly by the gentrification).

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Thanks to this thread, I'm hearing about the Jackyl/Madison Rising FREEDOM FESTIVAL in beautiful (podunk) Wabash, IN - a scant 45min drive from me. I'm tempted to go just to see how deep the rabbit hole is.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

King of the Hill makes fun of liberal stereotypes (pencil neck Austin do gooder geeks like the Child Protective Services guy) but I feel like it's quite even handed over all, as mentioned the show is pretty merciless with conservative icons like venal business owner types (Strickland and the scumbag car dealership guy), megachurches and rednecks in general (although it does take a kind hearted view of rednecks even while poking fun at them). Not to start the South Park derail yet again, but on that show I definitely feel like the writers direct incredible venom towards liberals like Michael Moore but you rarely see the same kind of scathing direct attack on right wingers. Except maybe the Mormon religion as a whole.

And mostly it's more directed at effete city types and hipsters like the yoga guy in contrast to good hearted simple Texas types like Hank, than a liberal vs. conservative thing.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

It's weird re: Small Town/Middle America conservatives in that they'll stumble upon a correct opinion on something, and then try to not go forward with it due to fear of being labeled a "LIBERAL".

There was a guy on local Cleveland radio who was on the air and voicing his frustrations after Continental/United decided to not have the Cleveland Hopkins airport as a hub.

The entire region is truly sad to look at from an economic viewpoint. (I went through an entire town that just simply had nothing left. From closed down car dealerships to malls to closed down factories).

He goes "I don't mean to come off as a liberal here, but big business has destroyed this place", or something of that nature.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Chalk up another chart for Fox_News.png!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Even beside the poll itself what a fascinating break from the normal coverage where even one person signing up is a disaster of Michael Bay proportions.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

quote:

RUSH: As is the case practically every Monday, the audio sound bite roster is filled with audio sound bites in which I have been mentioned. And given that I am fighting the ravages of the common cold virus, I think I'm going to start with some audio sound bites and just ease into the program. You know, normally I don't play all these things that mention me 'cause I don't like to make the program about me. Everybody else does.

So the first one. Are you aware -- people may not even know -- the "conservative" TV host Stephen Colbert -- (Interruption) What? Oh, it's Colbert? Oh. Okay. Stephen Colbert. He's a liberal but his shtick is a pompous, arrogant, know-nothing conservative. That's the shtick. Anyway, he tweeted out something last week that has ended up being highly offensive to Chinese-speaking people. He made fun of their language. He said, "Ding dong ching chang," or some such thing. It was in a tweet. He didn't actually say it on his show.

And there was negative reaction the likes of which liberals are not used to. I mean, there was apparently a huge blow-back on this, and it caught 'em off guard, 'cause they're really not used to this kind of reaction to them being racist or sexist or bigoted or homophobic or what have you. There were demands that Colbert apologize for offending the Chinese. Now, the way the left is circling the wagons on this, you might say, "What does this have to do with me?" Well, the way the left is circling the wagons is by saying that Colbert was simply doing what I do. The mistake that he made was that he did it on Twitter where there isn't any nuance.

This was discussed on NPR today. They circled the wagons. When was the last time I stepped in it and some conservative media show circled the wagons and brought all kinds of people to defend it? It doesn't happen. Yeah, when was the first time? Doesn't happen. But when it happens to these guys -- for example, when Dan Rather did his phony and bogus George Bush National Guard story and totally embarrassed himself. He ended up being fired because of it. You people may not remember, but the late Peter Jennings and Brokaw hastily put together an awards dinner. They invented or created a new award to give to Rather two weeks after all of that happened, because they circle the wagons.

They were protecting the news. They were protecting the media. They were protecting themselves, and they were protecting their cause, liberalism. Because Rather was out there and it was a huge, huge step in it. I mean, to totally make up a story. And so rather than throw Rather overboard and use this as an opportunity or moment to move past the CBS Evening News, they had to circle the wagons and protect Rather, and that's kind of what's happening here with this thing that Colbert did.

I don't have the original tweet so I don't know why he did it and I have no idea. All I know is that the way they're trying to protect him is to say, "Well, you know, he's just actually echoing Limbaugh." Whether they know it or not they've just accused Colbert of copying me. The discussion was on The Takeaway today on NPR. The fill-in host, Todd Zwillich, speaking to Jeff Yang who's a blogger at the Wall Street Journal about this tweet that went out on the show's Twitter account last week that some people found offensive. It made fun of the Chinese language I guess and this is how they attempted to circle the wagons.

ZWILLICH: Let's remind ourselves that Stephen Colbert doing what he often does was actually echoing Rush Limbaugh who has many times on his show and without irony referred to Asians with the ching chong or a ding dong or some kind of ethnically stupid angle like that. He was sort of doing Limbaugh.

YANG: Exactly. And the problem, of course, here is that you lose layers of nuance, you lose context when you take something and put it into a different medium, like, for instance, Twitter.

RUSH: Don't you just love hearing these erudite, sophisticated liberals talking about all this in the approved NPR performance mode? Well, let's remind ourselves that Stephen Colbert doing what he often does, was actually echoing Rush Limbaugh, the well-known fascist conservative radio host, who has, as everybody knows, many times on his show and without irony referred to Asians with the ching chong or the ding dong or some kind of ethnically stupid angle like that. That's how you hear it on NPR.

The point is I don't know what they're talking about, many times on my show and without irony, referred to Asians with the ching chong? I do not do that, and I would invite them to go find all of these "many times" on the program. All I did was attempt to translate the Chinese premier, the ChiCom premier when he was speaking without a translator at the White House. Anyway, notice how to get this guy out of the mess that he's in, apparently they have to link him to me. Why? I don't know.

And then they said, "Well, of course here you lose layers of nuance, you lose context when you take something and put it in a different medium like, for instance, Twitter." Right. So I don't even know what the original thing was. I just find it curious, ironic, or what have you, that in order to bail the guy out they have to basically accuse him of ripping me off. But not doing it with the proper layers of nuance.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Okay, just to be factually correct, I need to issue a correction. This Colbert comment, whatever it was he did, was actually made on his show and then the show tweeted it out on the show Twitter account, not his personal one. But whatever he did, he did say it on... Well, they're not "on the air," they're on cable. He said it on the wire. The point is that now I'm responsible for what he said. It's my fault. He just didn't do the nuance like I did, but other than that, it's my fault.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/03/31/npr_liberals_circle_wagons_around_stephen_colbert_by_associating_him_with_me
He's just so persecuted by the media, I just don't know how he copes :ohdear:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
All I did was attempt to translate a language I don't know at all by saying almost exactly word for word the stupid stereotypical bullshit they said I said. Quite a reach there NPR :smugdog:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm not veg in any way but I've always thought I would love to take someone up on this someday. Send them a weekly report of every chance I had to eat an animal along with a reminder that I avoid eating animals out of sense of a personal values rather than an actual counting of how many of them I've saved by not having a chicken nugget, chiding them for not having the same dedication to their word and personal values seeing as they haven't had a massive coronary yet.

This almost needs to be a horror movie in the vein of Seven where some insane murderous Liberal is killing people based on smug Tshirt memes.

Some poor bastard is found dead in his apartment, tied to a chair with his mouth pried open, piles of food on his plate.

"What the hell happened to this guy?"
"Our killer was kind enough to leave a menu: Looks like someone fed him Bear Liver, poisonish fish, undercooked pork and raw chicken... The killer had a salad."
(Someone opens jacket, sees the shirt... everyone gasps)

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Mike Judge made an entire show making fun of liberals. How soon we forget 'The Goode Family'

We forget because it barely lasted 1 season. I'm not sure what can be read of Judge's views using King of the Hill on one end and Goode Family on the other, because Goode Family was such a terrible try-hard strawman.

Over all, I think he did a better treatment of an everyday conservative coming to grips with the liberals around him in KotH than he did with the way over the top liberal family interacting with the world in Goode Family. You could say he has more sympathy for conservative points of view, or that he just put more thought into challenging conservative views.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don't think Mike Judge is some easily ascribable ideologue. He lives in Round Rock/Austin, and I do not know many full-blooded conservatives in Texas who enjoy even the idea of living near that valley of sin and bad traffic, but then Judge isn't really from Texas, and maybe just likes the hollywood-scene in Austin.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Sucks to be Glenn Beck today: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/31/muslim-victim-of-boston-marathon-bombing-sues-glenn-beck-for-defamation-and-slander/

Raw Story posted:

Authorities quickly determined that Alharbi, a Saudi national of Middle Eastern descent, had no involvement in the attacks.

But Beck “repeatedly and falsely” identified Alharbi as an active participant in the bombings, the suit claims.

The lawsuit also claims Beck questioned the motives of federal authorities who declined to arrest or detain the college student, reported Courthouse News.

“Let me just say this to those at the highest echelons of government,” Beck said April 21, according to World Net Daily. “We know who this Saudi national is, and it is in your best interest and the best interest of integrity and trust for the people of United States of America – it’s best coming from you, not coming from a news organization. It’s best coming from you. You have until (April 22). We have information on who this man is, (and) we know he is a very bad, bad, bad man.”

Alharbi has received numerous messages calling him a “murderer, child killer, and terrorist” based on Beck’s statements, the suit claims.

I truly hope this guy wins a nice chunk of change off of Beck's stupidity. I eagerly await his spin on how he's the victim in all of this...

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Swan Oat posted:

They're only hard to "nail down" if you insist on nailing them down into one of the two major categories of Liberal and Conservative. Political views, like sexual orientation, are a spectrum, and the sooner people stop trying to shoehorn everything into rigid constructs, the better. All the current system does is create this huge gulf in the middle that no one wants to step into for fear they will be ostracized from their chosen group. You can have what are considered to be largely conservative views, and be a vegetarian, or anti-death penalty. There is nothing odd about those ideas co-existing, it only seems that way because of the artificial duality created by insisting that people fit into one or the other of our existing broad ideologies.

I'm not trying to be all, "You gotta buck the system, man," but this us-or-them mentality is definitely a huge problem in American political discourse.

Edit:

bigtom posted:

Sucks to be Glenn Beck today: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/31/muslim-victim-of-boston-marathon-bombing-sues-glenn-beck-for-defamation-and-slander/

I truly hope this guy wins a nice chunk of change off of Beck's stupidity. I eagerly await his spin on how he's the victim in all of this...

If he does, we can expect a month-long meltdown by Freepers and conservative talk-show hosts whining about persecution, followed by at least a year of daily references to the incident as "proof" of a liberal conspiracy to punish and silence conservatives, and "[Liberal] said [something in no way comparable to Beck's comments], how come he isn't being punished?"

Centripetal Horse fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 31, 2014

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Chalk up another chart for Fox_News.png!

6,000,000 x 3 = 7,000,000.

I'd love to see their climate change graphs.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Swan Oat posted:

There was also an episode (looking it up, it was called "Hilloween") that completely tore into Evangelical Christians and "Hell Houses". The antagonist of that episode is a super Evangelical Christian woman; think "Halloween is a satanic holiday", "anyone who celebrates it goes to Hell", "satanists are everywhere", all that crap.

Basically, Hank just wanted to have fun doing a haunted house on Halloween, and have Bobby go trick-or-treating, but the evangelical woman leads a crusade against Halloween and the "Satanists" and manages to get Halloween canceled. She also gets all the kids to go to her "Hallelujah House" instead, which is the whole nine yards of "sex before marriage leads to diseases and death", a family with an ape sitting at the table and the (strawman) father saying "Darwin said we were chimps, so meet your ape grandfather", and all that other stupid evangelical bullshit.

Hank hates it, so he dresses up in his old devil costume and leads a trick-or-treat protest against her, and basically all the parents join in and go get their kids from the Hell House, and go out trick-or-treating as families.

It's one of my favorite episodes actually, just because the evangelical lady is unambiguously presented as wrong; everyone hates Halloween getting canceled, and none of the kids have any fun at the Hell House before they're rescued by their parents. Oh, and part of how the woman gets Halloween cancelled is she claims that Satanists killed her cat, when in reality she ran it over herself because she was too preoccupied with her "crusade" against Halloween to even notice. (That poor cat.:()

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 31, 2014

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
A few people specifically mentioned 'Junkie Business' as an example of a right-wing KotH plotline. I don't think that's a fair assessment of the episode.

This episode isn't about how bad/lazy drug addicts are, its about Hank's regressive views getting him into an absurd, over-the-top situation. Hank hired Leon, under-qualified drug addict, because he was too backwards and insecure to hire the better candidate – an intelligent, pretty woman with plenty of experience. He knew from the start that something about Leon was off. But he was shocked that a woman would even apply for a position in barbeque sales, and was unwilling to accept that she was the most qualified person for the job. From that point on, everything that goes wrong is entirely Hank's fault, an while he eventually solves the problem, he comes out of the whole thing looking like a jackass. In the end, he learns his lesson and hires on the saleswoman, as he should have done from the start.

I wanted to point this out because its a very common thread in this how. KotH pokes holes in Hank's 'common sense' values as often as it skewers hippies and other liberal stereotypes, often at once, as seen in this episode. It's conservative only to the extent that early Simpsons episodes are. So I hope people won't shy away from the show because of its 'conservative' label.

Huge Liability fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 31, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
KOTH is a much subtler Colbert Report in the simpsons format.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Rush posted:

[url]http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/03When was the last time I stepped in it and some conservative media show circled the wagons and brought all kinds of people to defend it? It doesn't happen. Yeah, when was the first time? Doesn't happen.

Duck Dynasty, Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin, Rick Santorum.

Yeah, Rush. Never happens. Way to get jokes too.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Duck Dynasty, Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin, Rick Santorum.

Yeah, Rush. Never happens. Way to get jokes too.

Chick-fil-a, Paula Dean as well.
I think they defended Imus too, didn't they?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I think most of the issues people have with KotH stem from being unable to draw a distinction between a protagonist and a hero. Hank Hill is the protagonist of the show, but it has no hero. He is the hero in some episodes, but so are basically all of the characters at one point or another.

On the flipside, I do think Hank is an accurate depiction of how most conservatives view themselves, even the batshit ones. And also to be fair, most of the liberal strawman aren't that exaggerated and there are mre than enough obnoxious liberals who deserve to be made fun of without needing to pick and choose or approach it from a conservative worldview.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I think most of the issues people have with KotH stem from being unable to draw a distinction between a protagonist and a hero. Hank Hill is the protagonist of the show, but it has no hero. He is the hero in some episodes, but so are basically all of the characters at one point or another.

On the flipside, I do think Hank is an accurate depiction of how most conservatives view themselves, even the batshit ones. And also to be fair, most of the liberal strawman aren't that exaggerated and there are mre than enough obnoxious liberals who deserve to be made fun of without needing to pick and choose or approach it from a conservative worldview.

Yea even the most strawmany one, that ponytailed 'twig boy' (for some reason I love that nickname) who usually was some low ranking government drone with too much ego, wasn't some obscene misrepresentation about how some dudes in that position can be real stupid assholes. The show was pretty good about making the antagonists who had political components clearly a unique aspect of the system instead of being a stand in for all of it. In the pilot when the twig boy was a lovely child welfare agent who threatened to take Bobby away, the point was that his superior, also a government employee, quickly figured out he was full of poo poo and dropped the case.

Judge probably has some strongish right wing leanings, the lovely liberal show he did with such hilarious characters as the white south african who was only adopted so the liberal family could have an 'african american' child was pretty much his baby, but except for that weird lovely soapbox bit he does a good job of playing down the middle.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Judge himself is kinda a wad though, but when it comes to the product he made I think he did a fair job hiding his more dickish side.

The show was co-created and co-run by Greg Daniels, who left The Simpsons for it - he created Luanne and Cotton, and came up with stuff like Dale being a conspiracy theorist - so you can probably credit him for why it's a lot less right-wing than Mike Judge crap like Idiocracy and The Goode Family.

Beavis & Butthead 4 life tho. :haw: :haw: :haw:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

There's a lot of discussion about King of the Hill here without much mentioning how very Texas it is.

The lawn obsession, the wrinkled fascist parents, the actively political guy is batshit rightwing,

hell the GRILLING

It is a Texas show before it is anything else IMO.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If anything I think KotH is meant to show the average center right 'common sense' type who's got kinda out dated values but no real malice or anything. Like, there are multiple parts in the shows where Hank is shown generally kinda uneasy about gay stuff, but when it's something like his friend's dad being gay he has a view of telling him to be honest and try to fix the relationship. Same with most of the liberal 'antagonists' for lack of a better word, he doesn't hate the idea per say but it's an issue of how it's being presented.

Reflexively taking the right-wing view of something until you're personally affected by it is pretty much conservatism in a nutshell these days. A show about a man who can't be empathetic when empathy is only an abstract concept is a conservative show.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

pd187 posted:

The show was co-created and co-run by Greg Daniels, who left The Simpsons for it - he created Luanne and Cotton, and came up with stuff like Dale being a conspiracy theorist - so you can probably credit him for why it's a lot less right-wing than Mike Judge crap like Idiocracy and The Goode Family.

Beavis & Butthead 4 life tho. :haw: :haw: :haw:

Wait Idiocracy is 'right wing?'

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Maybe it helps to be from a rural area to understand where the show is coming from? I'm not gonna claim I've seen every episode, but it's always come off more as anti-yuppie/suburbanite than anti-liberal.
I grew up in a rural Texas town that developed into a suburb over the course of my childhood, and King of the Hill is far and away the most accurate depiction of that kind of place I've ever seen. Some of the characters could be doppelgangers for my relatives.

I don't see it as "pro" or "anti" anything. It's just how those people act and the environment they live in. If the show has politics it's a very small "l" libertarianism that's skeptical of organized institutions whether they be big businesses, big government or big religions.

If it has a right-leaning politics, it's one of the best examples of how to do it well. Every six months I read an article by some struggling conservative comedian blaming liberals for why he's not successful. But if you just go in straight away with the Obama jokes you'll alienate half your audience.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

You might also distinguish between conservative humor and humor by conservatives.

There are funny conservatives, and some probably use politics in funny jokes, but they don't make the politics the entire joke. Think about Louis CK's "being white" bit. It actually makes an important point, but the politics isn't the reason it's funny. It's funny because it's actually a loving funny joke. If a conservative could make a joke that uses their politics and is still funny, that's great. Start with the funny, then do the politics, if it works. That'd be humor by a conservative that's genuinely funny. The problem is that instead of focusing on being funny and using themes like politics in their jokes, they decide to not only make politics more important than a joke, but focus on the nastier parts of their politics. They start with the politics and only later try and shoehorn the comedy in. The Daily Show is great because it's funny, not because Jon Stewart is liberal. If he or his writers weren't funny nobody would care. The problem is that it's so much easier to poke fun at the powerful than the weak.
Exactly this. Jay Leno is a great example of a successful comedian whose conservatism influences his comedy. Few people here will find Leno funny, but there's no denying he's an enormously successful comedian with an excellent sense of timing. (His audience also skews older.)

But the conservative comedy failures put the cart before the horse. There's also a lot of very wealthy and powerful liberals who are ripe for mocking. There's Hollywood celebs, politicians, Silicon Valley do-gooders, etc. But if your joke is "those do-gooder liberals...!" then of course it's not going to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0RH1Tcuvgc

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

big mean giraffe posted:

Wait Idiocracy is 'right wing?'

Note that the big box store that dominates the world of coddled idiots is Costco.

Also ignorance is associated with urban/latin culture.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McDowell posted:

Note that the big box store that dominates the world of coddled idiots is Costco.

Also ignorance is associated with urban/latin culture.

The biggest dumbass in the film is a white dude and the most intelligent character (and woman!) is a minority.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It hits the internet libertarian demographic with laser-like focus.

It's also a movie where two people can have drastically different reads on it. See: Freep loving the poo poo out of it

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Dale, the NRA is a Washington DC-based organization. Are you trying to tell me you support Washington DC?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

computer parts posted:

The biggest dumbass in the film is a white dude and the most intelligent character (and woman!) is a minority.

This, plus it starts out by showing what is clearly an intellectual white liberal couple waiting to have children and a white trash redneck having sex with anything that moves.

And I'm guessing it uses Costco because it was either easier to get a filming location that resembled Costco, or they were worried Wal-Mart might actually give enough of a poo poo to try to come after them legally. It seems much more modeled after Wal-Mart than Costco other than the aesthetic look of it. If it were libertarian there'd be some intellectual supermen trying to control society and failing because of the masses of stupid people, not a presidential cabinet who doesn't understand how to grow plants.

Like honestly, Mike Judge's work is one of the clearest examples of comedians who are conservative versus conservative comedians. And it's annoying that people are acting like you have to be conservative to mock liberal stereotypes. Portlandia heavily mocks liberal stereotypes and still manages to avoid being called conservative. It's like because Judge has done or said some potentially conservative leaning things in the past, any of his mockery of liberals is personally political venom, which makes his regular mockery of conservatives on KotH... ?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The example of KotH I like to use is the one where Peggy and her roller derby team overthrow their tyrannical manager and Hank showing that workers just aren't able to organize themselves and NEED someone to manage them.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Phone posted:

It's also a movie where two people can have drastically different reads on it. See: Freep loving the poo poo out of it

It's very much Mirror of Erised fiction. IIRC both libertarians and liberals were claiming its extremely limited release was a conspiracy by Fox to keep The Truth from being exposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

This, plus it starts out by showing what is clearly an intellectual white liberal couple waiting to have children and a white trash redneck having sex with anything that moves.

And I'm guessing it uses Costco because it was either easier to get a filming location that resembled Costco, or they were worried Wal-Mart might actually give enough of a poo poo to try to come after them legally. It seems much more modeled after Wal-Mart than Costco other than the aesthetic look of it. If it were libertarian there'd be some intellectual supermen trying to control society and failing because of the masses of stupid people, not a presidential cabinet who doesn't understand how to grow plants.

Like honestly, Mike Judge's work is one of the clearest examples of comedians who are conservative versus conservative comedians. And it's annoying that people are acting like you have to be conservative to mock liberal stereotypes. Portlandia heavily mocks liberal stereotypes and still manages to avoid being called conservative. It's like because Judge has done or said some potentially conservative leaning things in the past, any of his mockery of liberals is personally political venom, which makes his regular mockery of conservatives on KotH... ?

Wal-Mart is pretty litigation happy when it comes to their portrayal in film so this makes sense.