Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Flying Fortress posted:

Pick up 2 or 3 slowcookers at a second hand shop (or craigslist o whatever) and learn some simple stuff you can set and forget. You can make some mighty tasty stuff with almost no equipment or cooking skill!

Oh, I know. I've already got two and a sous vide setup so I'm actually pretty well equipped for the challenge, and as winter's coming, stews are on the agenda. And since the ladies spend the lodge hours in our south with tea and chatting, there'll be someone around to make sure nothing catches fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Flying Fortress posted:

Pick up 2 or 3 slowcookers at a second hand shop (or craigslist o whatever) and learn some simple stuff you can set and forget. You can make some mighty tasty stuff with almost no equipment or cooking skill!

Recipe: cheap roast, one cup beef stock, one packet Italian salad dressing seasoning. Put it all in the slow cooker for, like, six hours.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

dougie posted:

Just performed my first Entered Apprentice degree as RWM. I didn't anticipate the sense of pride I felt afterward in making someone a Mason. Incredible experience.

Grats, man! I did the same last month. Hands down the most enjoyable night of my Masonic career thus far.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So our Jobies of Bethel 77 are now the third largest in the United States. By months end we intend to take the number one spot. Go Bothell!

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Has anyone played goat simulator? If so, is the goat at a F&AM lodge, an AF&AM lodge, or is it some other lodge.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Yes! It just became available on Steam today for those of us who pre-ordered. I must say it takes me back to when I was going through the degrees.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Lazarus Long posted:

I've always meant to take the tour of the lodge in Philly, but haven't found the time yet. Are there any of the original furniture or other woodwork there? I have always wanted to check because according to the obit of my great great great grandfather he was one of the carpenters working on that building's construction. Other than that brief mention though, our family doesn't have much information on him. Are there records of members dating back that far or records of who worked on the original construction? At any rate, I think I will definitely try to make it in soon for a tour.

Well we have fraternal membership records (meaning if he was a freemason in PA, we'll know). As for the building's construction, not sure. If you come in though I'll be the younger tour guide with the brown beard and the very Irish name.

As for the furniture it's all original to the building or older than it (meaning it came from one of our earlier masonic temples, since we've been through more than five in our city's history).

imac1984
May 3, 2004

As of last Thursday I am officially certified in the EA degree! One degree down, 2 more to go in my quest for the East next year! That lecture... man, what a pain... that's all I can say.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

imac1984 posted:

As of last Thursday I am officially certified in the EA degree! One degree down, 2 more to go in my quest for the East next year! That lecture... man, what a pain... that's all I can say.

Yeah, the EA lecture is my least favorite. No real flow to it. It's just an info dump.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Emron posted:

Yeah, the EA lecture is my least favorite. No real flow to it. It's just an info dump.

I disagree - well, okay, the lecture, maybe, but here in NC the catechism is still my favorite. I love the way it flows. I need to go back and study the actual lecture though.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

QPZIL posted:

I disagree - well, okay, the lecture, maybe, but here in NC the catechism is still my favorite. I love the way it flows. I need to go back and study the actual lecture though.

The EA catechism is my favorite, but its lecture is my least favorite. The catechism is very lyrical.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Who gets to meet the new Most Worshipful Grand Master of Washington State tomorrow?

This guy.

So. What the hell do I wear for a Grand Master visit? Normal stuff or do I bring out my tuxedo?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Bolo tie. He's a big cowboy and a nice guy. I got to sit down with him after a visit for a bit. Very interesting Masonic history from him. Kinda fun to get into lifetime memberships with him as he has a history in New York as well.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Maksimus54 posted:

Bolo tie. He's a big cowboy and a nice guy. I got to sit down with him after a visit for a bit. Very interesting Masonic history from him. Kinda fun to get into lifetime memberships with him as he has a history in New York as well.

Right. I'll see if I can dig mine up. Who knows where it is.

Edit: Hell yeah, found the Bolo and my Ranch hat. If only I owned a pair of poo poo kickers.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 31, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

7thBatallion posted:

Right. I'll see if I can dig mine up. Who knows where it is.

Edit: Hell yeah, found the Bolo and my Ranch hat. If only I owned a pair of poo poo kickers.

I'm imagining you showing up in full cowpoke gear but it turns out the guy is actually a techno fan that looks like he stepped out of Sprockets, and Maksimus is all :troll:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Snowy posted:

I'm imagining you showing up in full cowpoke gear but it turns out the guy is actually a techno fan that looks like he stepped out of Sprockets, and Maksimus is all :troll:

Then I'll take off the cowboy layer and reveal my Tron costume underneath.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

7thBatallion posted:

Then I'll take off the cowboy layer and reveal my Tron costume underneath.

That would be the 2nd raddest Grand Master after Washington these United States have ever seen

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Maksimus54 posted:

That would be the 2nd raddest Grand Master after Washington these United States have ever seen

The apron doubles as an Identity Disc.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It actually kind of does.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Anybody here a member of The Royal Order of Scotland ? I received an invitation, and I'd like to hear a little first person experience
to aid my decision.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

UC Special Task Force Unit Operative
Did my Master Mason tonight, not what I was expecting after the other two, but well put on by the other brothers. Our Junior Warden is an actor locally, so he's helping to prevent the droning monotone that can happen in any kind of ceremony.

So now to memorize before we go dark in July, shouldn't be too hard a deadline.

The local Valley's reunion is in two weeks, so I got asked if I wanted to get my petition together and get it in, but I passed on that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cholmondeley posted:

Anybody here a member of The Royal Order of Scotland ? I received an invitation, and I'd like to hear a little first person experience
to aid my decision.

I don't know much about it, but I've heard it likened to the SRICF, for people who haven't had the high honor of being invited to join the SRICF.

Personally I'd be honored to join either one, especially the SRICF - but here in NC, that's almost all current and past grand officers.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I just posted a picture of me in front of the Masonic Temple where I work in the "Post your picture thread" and one of the brethren here requested that I post some more pictures.

Since I'm a terrible photographer, I figured I'd just use the ones I've found around the internet that were taken professionally.

Here's the temple from the outside:

The Architect was Brother James H. Windrim, who was twenty-seven when he designed the building. The interior artist was George Herzog.

Here's the entrance (I was standing in front of it in the Post your picture thread):

The front staircase (Tennessee Marble with the seals of 46 states that existed in the union when the temple was completed):

This is Ionic Hall. It's arguably the simplest of the halls and is named, of course, for the order of architecture. This is the hall where my lodge (Columbia 91) meets and has met since 1873. Though many lodges often change their halls over the years, we never have.

Egyptian Hall: The first room completed in the temple. The Electric Chandeliers are original, dating back to 1898. The room is considered by many to be the most accurate reproduction of Egyptian architecture in the United States.

Renaissance Hall: This is the second to largest room in the temple and one of the last to be completed. It's shared by Blue Lodges and the Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons in Pennsylvania.

Norman Hall: This hall is one of the ones I like the most. It's a mishmash of Celtic and Scandinavian architecture. Everything in the ceiling that resembles wood is, oddly enough, plaster work painted to resemble wood.

Gothic Hall: Though this room can be used by Blue Lodges, it's more often used by our Knights Templar and Scottish Rite. It's also the only room not properly oriented East to West (so the Worshipful Master would sit in the North and have to make due). To my fellow Knights in the thread, in case you're wondering, we do have a chamber of reflection in the hall as well. It's literally hidden in one of the walls.

The Grand Banquet Hall: Pretty self explanatory. Here's where dinner is.

Corinthian Hall: Corinthian is the largest lodge room in the temple and is primarily used by the Grand Lodge for our quarterly meetings (at least two of the four will take place in this room throughout the year). It's also where we hold our big Regional school of instruction and it has also been used by the Grand Chapter of Eastern Star and a few brave blue lodges seeking to put on degrees in the grandest hall possible.

Oriental Hall: Oriental hall is my personal favorite room. Since this room is used by both the Royal Arch and Cryptic Council, I wind up spending more time in here than anywhere else. For the Royal Arch Companions on the forums who are wondering, yes, we do have a vault underneath the room.

The Rear Staircase: This is where we hang the portraits of our Right Worshipful Past Grand Masters when they die.

The Ben Franklin Room: This is where we hang the portraits of our living Past Right Worshipful Grand Masters.

And there you have it.

The building is used and well loved by our 20+ lodges (as well as our Four Royal Arch bodies, our one Cryptic Council, our two Commandaries of Knights Templar and the Valley of Philadelphia Scottish Rite).

Come visit us sometime (Tuesday through Fridays, 10, 11, 1, 2 & 3. Saturdays 10, 11 & 12. Call in advance to make sure we're not doing any special functions).

(here's the imgur gallery for higher resolution: http://imgur.com/a/eiNiz#0)

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

SylvainMustach posted:

I just posted a picture of me in front of the Masonic Temple where I work in the "Post your picture thread" and one of the brethren here requested that I post some more pictures.

Since I'm a terrible photographer, I figured I'd just use the ones I've found around the internet that were taken professionally.

Here's the temple from the outside:

The Architect was Brother James H. Windrim, who was twenty-seven when he designed the building. The interior artist was George Herzog.

Here's the entrance (I was standing in front of it in the Post your picture thread):

The front staircase (Tennessee Marble with the seals of 46 states that existed in the union when the temple was completed):

This is Ionic Hall. It's arguably the simplest of the halls and is named, of course, for the order of architecture. This is the hall where my lodge (Columbia 91) meets and has met since 1873. Though many lodges often change their halls over the years, we never have.

Egyptian Hall: The first room completed in the temple. The Electric Chandeliers are original, dating back to 1898. The room is considered by many to be the most accurate reproduction of Egyptian architecture in the United States.

Renaissance Hall: This is the second to largest room in the temple and one of the last to be completed. It's shared by Blue Lodges and the Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons in Pennsylvania.

Norman Hall: This hall is one of the ones I like the most. It's a mishmash of Celtic and Scandinavian architecture. Everything in the ceiling that resembles wood is, oddly enough, plaster work painted to resemble wood.

Gothic Hall: Though this room can be used by Blue Lodges, it's more often used by our Knights Templar and Scottish Rite. It's also the only room not properly oriented East to West (so the Worshipful Master would sit in the North and have to make due). To my fellow Knights in the thread, in case you're wondering, we do have a chamber of reflection in the hall as well. It's literally hidden in one of the walls.

The Grand Banquet Hall: Pretty self explanatory. Here's where dinner is.

Corinthian Hall: Corinthian is the largest lodge room in the temple and is primarily used by the Grand Lodge for our quarterly meetings (at least two of the four will take place in this room throughout the year). It's also where we hold our big Regional school of instruction and it has also been used by the Grand Chapter of Eastern Star and a few brave blue lodges seeking to put on degrees in the grandest hall possible.

Oriental Hall: Oriental hall is my personal favorite room. Since this room is used by both the Royal Arch and Cryptic Council, I wind up spending more time in here than anywhere else. For the Royal Arch Companions on the forums who are wondering, yes, we do have a vault underneath the room.

The Rear Staircase: This is where we hang the portraits of our Right Worshipful Past Grand Masters when they die.

The Ben Franklin Room: This is where we hang the portraits of our living Past Right Worshipful Grand Masters.

And there you have it.

The building is used and well loved by our 20+ lodges (as well as our Four Royal Arch bodies, our one Cryptic Council, our two Commandaries of Knights Templar and the Valley of Philadelphia Scottish Rite).

Come visit us sometime (Tuesday through Fridays, 10, 11, 1, 2 & 3. Saturdays 10, 11 & 12. Call in advance to make sure we're not doing any special functions).

(here's the imgur gallery for higher resolution: http://imgur.com/a/eiNiz#0)

Uhhh. Can I be a mason just to belong to that place? That's beautiful.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
That loving lodge, oh my god that's beautiful. I'd love to come visit sometime. Can you send me an address and some other additional information? It's a bit of a haul of me but not so much that I wouldn't make it for such a beautiful building.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I don't have private messaging here, but I'll add your AIM. If you have any specific questions for here, feel free to ask.

As for visiting lodges, most meet the first three weeks of the month, monday through thursday (dinner at six, meeting at seven for most lodges).

If you check the grand lodge's website they have the number for the front desk (someone's always there) and they'll be able to let you know what lodges are meeting through out the week (or they can patch you through to someone to help schedule a meeting with a specific lodge.

My lodge is the 3d Monday, dinner at six, meeting at seven (most of the time, sometimes we hold dinner after the meeting).

Also, if you haven't seen Pennsylvania Degree work, you should since it's very different compared to most American grand lodges.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well hot drat...

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Holy poo poo man, that's incredible.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
My current bucket list:

- Visit the Guthrie Scottish Rite building
- Visit the House of the Temple in DC

...and now I have a 3rd to add.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Isn't that the building where every angle is divisible by either 3° or 33°?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Isn't that the building where every angle is divisible by either 3° or 33°?

Waiiiiiit.

3*3=9 33/3=11
9 11

Woah.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

QPZIL posted:

My current bucket list:

- Visit the Guthrie Scottish Rite building
- Visit the House of the Temple in DC

...and now I have a 3rd to add.

look up the one in Sweden. Their headquarters is nicer than all three of these.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I've got friends at the Grand a lodge of Sweden, and my fondest memory of Freemasonry is showing up at the Grand Lodge dressed like a backpacker and 7 years under the minimum age you need to be to become a Mason in Sweden right before Christmas. They told me to come back the next day, they'd lend me a suit, and I'd get a free seat at their super swanky Christmas dinner.

Basically Swedes own. If you're in town stop by and ask them for a tour, the building is literally more impressive than the UGLE (since it's actually a former palace).

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
For those who haven't seen any pictures of the Swedish Grand Lodge building, here are a few that I was able to dig up (one that I know for certain are from their Stockholm temple):

If I dig any up from my old masonic tumblr (I've forgotten all of my login information or I'd be updating it again), I'll post them later.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Couple of brief facts:

This picture is taken from the organ, which is in a seperate area raised above the degree room. I got to see a degree performed in this room (I was sitting on the right side closer to wear that picture was taken). Every chair has a sword hanging from the back of it, which you can see if you look at the bottom left of the picture. The ceiling is wired to light up with stars, though it's off in this and you can only see the dark blue dome.

At a certain degree, every Mason in Sweden makes their own heraldic crest. The heraldry on the walls is from those members, and there are certain markings found on some of them that indicate the owner is Swedish nobility. Many of the crests are representative of the profession of the owner, which leads to some amusic things on them. As far as I know, this room was originally basically the palace throne room. If I was in Texas I actually have a copy of the history of the Swedish Grand Lodge's history there.

This is the view from the courtyard, taken from the street in Gamla Stan. If you're ever there and want to get shown around, go to the left side of that picture and bang on the door until someone lets you in. :buddy:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
http://www.dr.dk/Tema/frimurer/Rundt%20i%20frimurerlogen/rundtilogen.htm

Since we are speaking of grand lodges, the Grand Lodge of Denmark made this nice interactive tour a few years ago. You can click on the front door to enter, drag the pictures to look around, and navigate with the arrows or the map in the corner. It only shows a tiny fraction of the building, but you do get to see the I and II degree halls, the armiger hall with the crests, and the big assembly hall.

The panorama effect on the tour kinda makes the rooms feel smaller, though. Here is a picture of the II degree hall that gives a better feel for the size. The images on the roof display scenes from Greek mythology, and were painted by the Danish artist Oscar Matthiesen.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 5, 2014

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I've always thought about stopping by my local lodge. Let's talk about weighing the benefits here..

About how much time does initial initiation require?

I figure the gain is an increased social circle, network, and brotherly acceptance. Any I missing anything?

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Member of the Kevin Smith look-alikes local #45317
Expect to be busy maybe two days a month. After initiation you will have memory work which I was able to do by meeting with my teacher for an hour a week until I was raised which took three months

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Pretty much what Colton said. Once you're in, it's a matter of what you want out of it. You can be ask active or passive as you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Member of the Kevin Smith look-alikes local #45317
Trip report!

Today at my lodge's stated communication I asked to read an article I came across that was written in 1933 on the deeper symbolism of one of the EA working tools. I realized I felt like I was missing out on some Masonic education in lodge so I became the change i'd like see, so to speak.

It went over really well. Now I've been asked to present a paper at every meeting which I would be glad to.

So if anyone feels dissatisfied with the way something is done or not done in lodge, do it yourself. I learned that part of being a responsible man is doing the job you wish others were doing