Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unfair
Oct 6, 2012

bobjr posted:

How much does it even cost to advertise on twitter? Seeing as I only see bigger companies do it it can hardly be cheap.

It's probably an Adsense sort of setup, where people bid against each other. Not a set cost, but on the cheap end you'd be paying 1-5 cents per click. That sounds cheap to get eyeballs on your content, but only a tiny percentage of those people will actually be interested enough to subscribe. In the end you're probably paying a dollar or more per new subscriber, which is really hard to earn back and make it "worth it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Achievement Hunter's hazing of Kerry into their group was pretty great, if only for the first challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tuc33vCJHA

Also, this one may not count completely as a Let's Play, since there's no commentary subtitled or vocal in it but I think Mike Kob's ongoing God Hand playthrough should be on here. If only because the guy is really good at the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMH8T2LPdfE

wottermelon
Mar 12, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Also, this one may not count completely as a Let's Play, since there's no commentary subtitled or vocal in it but I think Mike Kob's ongoing God Hand playthrough should be on here. If only because the guy is really good at the game.

Mike Kob's also done several speedruns/tutorials of God Hand and Dragon's Dogma. And though it's totally not an LP, how could you not mention this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyUArTDYYVc

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

forbidden lesbian posted:

Man, I wonder how long before the news has degenerated enough that they start reporting on LPs :(

This was your daily dose of D&D.

"Look at how this PewdiePie fellow really channels his emotions into his playing!" :wow:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

wottermelon posted:

Mike Kob's also done several speedruns/tutorials of God Hand and Dragon's Dogma. And though it's totally not an LP, how could you not mention this:

Because there's an ongoing LP of that game going on and it's not really an LP so I didn't think it was relevant.

I already thought I was pushing it with the God Hand video, don't judge me man

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

wottermelon posted:

If we didn't already have the ballad of Mike Haggar, I'd have considered that proof that LPs could be art. :allears:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I hope this isn't too far from the thread topic.

I make custom maps for games, and the popularity of Let's Plays has been very useful for feedback in the design process. Aside from bugs and glitches being captured on video, it's interesting to see how people are playing your maps from their perspective. Especially interesting is seeing how people pick up visual cues on how to progress and what areas to explore, and where they get lost or confused. Even unedited playthroughs without commentary get interesting to watch.

Though it gets kind of painful to watch when everything breaks and the players get frustrated, and it's out of your control to fix it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfCdmAkPWvI
For context, they play my L4D2 campaign on a very heavily modded server, and the player positions get screwed up in a level transition. The glitches start around 59 minutes in.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Who is valkhorn and why am I getting video adverts and promoted/featured videos from him. Also apparently he is perfect if I hate people who are bad at games, yet the advert shows him getting hit in a bunch of games.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Stux posted:

Who is valkhorn and why am I getting video adverts and promoted/featured videos from him. Also apparently he is perfect if I hate people who are bad at games, yet the advert shows him getting hit in a bunch of games.

He's an lper from here who just keeps making threads despite everyone saying he's bad at lps.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Stux posted:

lol did he really pay for YouTube ads?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Boxturret posted:

He's an lper from here who just keeps making threads despite everyone saying he's bad at lps.
And they're all running concurrently.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Boxturret posted:

Does he finish them?

Bluebomberimo
Jan 25, 2014

Suspicious Dish posted:

lol did he really pay for YouTube ads?

Either he did or if he happens to be Partnered with Fullscreen they did. I've noticed a lot of random LPers with video ads and it usually turned out to be Fullscreen picking and choosing random people to promote.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Boxturret posted:

He's also now just doing LPs just on his channel, I think he has an ongoing Super Mario All Stars run, for example, that may or may not feature giveaways if he gets a set number of shares.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
I'm fairly sure that Valkhorn isn't going to be posting his LPs here, at least for the time being. After his reboot LP of Kairo got ignored by most people(admittedly, it was a big improvement over the first attempt), he hasn't posted on SA. According to his youtube channel, he's now LPing games like Super Metroid and The Legend of Zelda (NES).

He also had some sort of big youtube prize contest during an LP of super mario brothers, which afaik no-body participated in. It's only a matter of time before that facecam goes up.

Honestly, though, Valkhorn isn't a really bad LPer, his videos are just really boring, in my view. It doesn't help that he picks games that aren't story driven, which forces him to be the center of attention, which he can't successfully do, IMO. I'd bet that he's going to post another LP here on SA eventually, but it seems like SA is just another avenue of potential views for him. He copy & pastes his video descriptions onto the forums, never really providing any potential discussion topics or anything. SA is second fiddle to him, and that might be for the best.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
In all honesty, I'm genuinely curious if those ads do anything. I asked him on his channel and he said no, as far as new viewers.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

slowbeef posted:

In all honesty, I'm genuinely curious if those ads do anything. I asked him on his channel and he said no, as far as new viewers.
Yeah, if you compare the paid advert video's views to the views he gets on his normal videos, there's a fairly large difference (I think the paid video is at maybe 5,000 views and most of his videos don't crack 100). I've never really understood the want to pad out views and subscribers, I'd rather just have discussion come up from an LP or some humor.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
So, he may or may not be paying for something that's functionally useless?

Huh. I apparently don't know how to manage money, then :v:

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

gatz posted:

...but it seems like SA is just another avenue of potential views for him. He copy & pastes his video descriptions onto the forums, never really providing any potential discussion topics or anything. SA is second fiddle to him, and that might be for the best.

I honestly think he never looked at any other thread on SA except the sandcastle, the Tech Fort, some megathreads he contributed in/wanted to contribute in, and his own threads; which could explain why his videos are really bland and why he just doesn't seem to know how to go about fixing it.

I mean, you can really pick up on some neat editing tricks, certain ways to deliver commentary or demonstrate something, and other stuff just by reading/watching other folks' threads.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
And you can pick up humor by checking out the other sub-forums! It really is a shame how many people refuse to post outside their little box :(

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, if you compare the paid advert video's views to the views he gets on his normal videos, there's a fairly large difference (I think the paid video is at maybe 5,000 views and most of his videos don't crack 100). I've never really understood the want to pad out views and subscribers, I'd rather just have discussion come up from an LP or some humor.

I think its some skewed logic of Views/Subs=Interest, when really you'll rarely evoke any legit discussion due to the lack of a reasonable post system that facilitates easy viewing. At least on SA, you have a properly functioning quote system and chronological posting so holding a discussion becomes much easier.

Honestly, it boggles my mind that people would try to LP for reasons aside from fun or showing off a game. As slowbeef mentioned a dozen times before, the market's flooded. Trying to use advertisements on YT to get viewers from someone else is flawed because if you aren't grabbing someone's attention already you aren't keeping it.

GeneralYeti posted:

So, he may or may not be paying for something that's functionally useless?

Huh. I apparently don't know how to manage money, then :v:

Use the goon budget plan that keeps getting advertised here. :v:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Niggurath posted:

I've never really understood the want to pad out views and subscribers, I'd rather just have discussion come up from an LP or some humor.

At 100k subs, you get this:

The melt value is probably like $14, so hey. Free $14!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

slowbeef posted:

The melt value is probably like $14, so hey. Free $14!

Just 8.5k more and you'll get one of your own!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

slowbeef posted:

Somehow, somewhere, that is the calling card for a superhero based on youtube videos...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Somehow, somewhere, that is the calling card for a superhero based on youtube videos...

I was thinking more of a way to communicate with the starship Youtubprise.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I was thinking more of a way to communicate with the starship Youtubprise.

But then you'd need an entire crew. Or does everyone who has that Youtube "prize" have their own ship? PewDiePie's ship would be a phallic reference and he'd have people ready and willing to do his bidding and spread his... unique style, across the galaxy OH GOD :suicide:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But then you'd need an entire crew. Or does everyone who has that Youtube "prize" have their own ship? PewDiePie's ship would be a phallic reference and he'd have people ready and willing to do his bidding and spread his... unique style, across the galaxy OH GOD :suicide:

Massively Awful Effect. :shepicide:

Are these Youtube personality types always so reliant on their particularly fanatical watchers that they're really that content to be e-thugs? I know that's really a rhetorical question but just how deep does the rabbit hole go on this?

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

gatz posted:

Honestly, though, Valkhorn isn't a really bad LPer, his videos are just really boring, in my view. It doesn't help that he picks games that aren't story driven, which forces him to be the center of attention, which he can't successfully do, IMO. I'd bet that he's going to post another LP here on SA eventually, but it seems like SA is just another avenue of potential views for him. He copy & pastes his video descriptions onto the forums, never really providing any potential discussion topics or anything. SA is second fiddle to him, and that might be for the best.

He just won a spot in the top 5 on /r/letsplay Unsucky Sunday this week, so I guess it's nice that one judge doesn't despise non-personality LPs. (Duo/comedy LPs usually dominate)

The whole weekly challenge was actually started a while ago by VivaVizer, who posts on SA as well.

slowbeef posted:

Well, Adsense ads will get you views, since that's what you're paying for - but only a tiny percentage of those will convert to subscribers. Monetarily it doesn't make any sense except if you have less than 500 subs and just want to get over the hump. Even then though, it would be pretty bad unless you took advantage of the yearly "Spend $25, get $100 free ads" that they offer.

Under optimal conditions that might net you max 125 new subscribers for your $25, which even if you're running ads is going to take you ~8000 views to earn back - meaning each of those 125 people would have to watch 64 videos before you broke even.

The reason I mentioned 500 subs is that YouTube seems to give more search traffic to channels when they get over 500/1000 subs, so buying your way over those thresholds might give natural growth more quickly.

Sorry, I just find the YouTube meta-game fascinating, but most people here probably don't care.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

gatz posted:

Honestly, though, Valkhorn isn't a really bad LPer, his videos are just really boring, in my view.

I always used the term "aggressively bland". I didn't mind that he wanted to LP and that they weren't too interesting to me, he's gotta start somewhere, but he just kept on pushing to have an LP at all times, always posted test posts in the sandcastle (as if he thought it was necessary before making a thread) and never seemed to take on any of the feedback he'd get or improve at all. And then he had his little crash and burn moment with Kairo. I don't know if he will be back here, though; it seems like he's just decided that the kind of games he wants to LP/LPs he wants to do aren't what we consider that entertaining. The point where someone having their LPs criticised heavily stops posting them to SA and goes to YouTube, I think, is a pretty clear indication that they don't want to be a part of the community here.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

frozentreasure posted:

I always used the term "aggressively bland". I didn't mind that he wanted to LP and that they weren't too interesting to me, he's gotta start somewhere, but he just kept on pushing to have an LP at all times, always posted test posts in the sandcastle (as if he thought it was necessary before making a thread) and never seemed to take on any of the feedback he'd get or improve at all. And then he had his little crash and burn moment with Kairo. I don't know if he will be back here, though; it seems like he's just decided that the kind of games he wants to LP/LPs he wants to do aren't what we consider that entertaining. The point where someone having their LPs criticised heavily stops posting them to SA and goes to YouTube, I think, is a pretty clear indication that they don't want to be a part of the community here.

I remember the first thing that ever came to my attention of his was his Super Mario Brothers one from the Sand Castle and his response from this is bland, you aren't bringing anything new to the table and we have all seen this game was eventually just to post the video in "Complete Opposite Style" where he just spoke non-stop and made random references.

Basically, I doubt he is coming back, because on Youtube, he can delete and block negative comments, here, he has to be able to handle some criticism which has not been his forte on the site.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Brassherald posted:

Basically, I doubt he is coming back, because on Youtube, he can delete and block negative comments, here, he has to be able to handle some criticism which has not been his forte on the site.

This seems to be a common thing with recent examples from The Gaming God and Lordly Kitten.

One would think that, by creating content for other people to enjoy, you'd want to receive feedback on what you produce and then improve on it.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This seems to be a common thing with recent examples from The Gaming God and Lordly Kitten.

One would think that, by creating content for other people to enjoy, you'd want to receive feedback on what you produce and then improve on it.

We have a theory in the mock trial program I help out with that people don't understand what constructive criticism is anymore and that is the issue. We've had a few people complain that after a 3 hour trial, we give feedback of what needs work rather than everything that worked. The internet just makes this worse for some reason.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Brassherald posted:

We have a theory in the mock trial program I help out with that people don't understand what constructive criticism is anymore and that is the issue. We've had a few people complain that after a 3 hour trial, we give feedback of what needs work rather than everything that worked. The internet just makes this worse for some reason.

The internet makes context of criticism (Or whatever the typed message is) a lot harder to discern. It's like receiving a text from your SO with the words "We need to talk". Having a visual or audible cue helps out tremendously with communication and, personally, I find the lack of it can lead to you surmising the wrong meaning to a message.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Brassherald posted:

I think part of that is that a lot of people expect "balanced" feedback in all aspects of life now. I know that desire gets associated with people in my generation all the time (I refuse to term anyone as a millennial as it's a kind of stupid label), but my 54 year old co-worker complains that when customers call her they only talk about what didn't work and never mention the things we delivered that did work. A lot of people think like this and it drives me nuts.

It gets kind of bad in the Sandcastle when people have more wrong with the video/post than right and either lash out or go dark about 60% of the time, which is frustrating as there were a few that showed some real promise that never came through.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

unfair posted:

Sorry, I just find the YouTube meta-game fascinating, but most people here probably don't care.

Actually, I think business school is making me really into the numbers behind this stuff.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Elders Reacts to Pewdiepie
Bonus Footage

Which is, of course, a follow-up to when they had teens do it a little over a year ago.

Teens React to Pewdiepie
Bonus Footage

People watching a montage of Pewdiepie's videos, giving opinions on if they like it, and what they're thoughts are on people watching other people playing video games. I thought it would be worth bringing up for the thread, but I warn you that watching these videos means having to hear Pewdiepie's screeching for a few minutes.

The way I took the reactions, I found it interesting how the teens and elders shared similar opinions. While the elders weren't quite as understanding of Let's Plays, they didn't all necessarily poo poo all over it either. At the same time, the teens seem to be more aware and accepting of the concept, but didn't necessarily care much about it. A sort of 6 of one, half a dozen of the other kind of thing, if you will.

As for Pewdiepie himself, it seems like a similar amount of people in both groups found him enjoyable.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jamesman posted:

As for Pewdiepie himself, it seems like a similar amount of people in both groups found him enjoyable.

I'm gonna guess that those video montages were cherry-picked to exclude PDP's "rape" moments if anyone managed to find them even remotely enjoyable.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm gonna guess that those video montages were cherry-picked to exclude PDP's "rape" moments if anyone managed to find them even remotely enjoyable.

Did not notice any rape comments, but there was a very explicit screaming about period blood.

Also when I said a similar amount of people found him enjoyable, I meant the majority out of both the elders and the teens weren't fans. The teens were more charitable and it was more vague (not everyone gave an answer, some people said things like "I'm not sold yet." and stuff), but the elders video had a count where the totals were 3-7 in favor of disliking him. The teens video also had 3 definite positive remarks.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

Also when I said a similar amount of people found him enjoyable, I meant the majority out of both the elders and the teens weren't fans. The teens were more charitable and it was more vague (not everyone gave an answer, some people said things like "I'm not sold yet." and stuff), but the elders video had a count where the totals were 3-7 in favor of disliking him. The teens video also had 3 definite positive remarks.

One weird thing I've been noticing is that he's getting more backlash (see the Atlus thing recently). I'm starting to wonder if he's going the Justin Bieber route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

slowbeef posted:

One weird thing I've been noticing is that he's getting more backlash (see the Atlus thing recently). I'm starting to wonder if he's going the Justin Bieber route.

Eventually he'll be paying guys to carry him through New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

• Locked thread