Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I wonder if everyone in the RoTD is something like Mort, a person that died but stuck around to do a job. They certainly don't behave much like ancient horrors from beyond the veil of death, and if Mort got to choose his form it's pretty likely the same goes for other RoTD workers, it's just that some are more imaginative than others. Plus the password to get in was "I...am a ghooooost!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You mean to say... The staff of the ROTD are just crummy guys in crummy costumes?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh hey we're now seeing the ROTD through Annie/Mort vision.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Splicer posted:

I think that's the assumption we're supposed to be making, since it's been clear from the start that Mort takes his job way too seriously. And that will be backed up when the ROTD tell him it's OK, his job was super important but moving on when he wants to is more important and they'll manage somehow.

Final chapter page is the entire ROTD running around shrieking in panic desperately trying to work out how to cope with this actually rather catastrophic occurance.

The Realm of the Dead, an actually more caring administration than any living one. :unsmith:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
I'm pretty sure this is just the regular ol' Gunnerkrigg library.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Male Man posted:

I'm pretty sure this is just the regular ol' Gunnerkrigg library.

Nah, you can see the hole they were standing by at the edge of in the first panel. It's the same room.

Plus the conversation is continuing straight on from where we left off.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 28, 2014

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Hmm.. If/when Mort properly "dies"/leaves, he'll be the first major character doing so (not counting those who were dead before the chapter 1). Quite remarkable considering the comic has been running for nine years.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Tom's good enough as a writer that he doesn't need to kill off popular characters to create drama.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Oh lord.

Mort -> Mortimer

There is a malfunctioning light in my house that randomly turns on. I always tell new people in my house it is due to a ghost named Mortimer. He has been helpful because he helps filter out crazy people who insist that I need to do something about said ghost. I never realized I was subconsciously naming it after Mort from Gunnerkrigg.

Well, I am keeping Mortimer the Ghost, the copying was unintentional, so there :colbert:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://theweek.com/article/index/257725/why-is-the-mor-in-voldemort-so-evil-sounding

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Donkringel posted:

There is a malfunctioning light in my house that randomly turns on. I always tell new people in my house it is due to a ghost named Mortimer. He has been helpful because he helps filter out crazy people who insist that I need to do something about said ghost. I never realized I was subconsciously naming it after Mort from Gunnerkrigg.

Well, I am keeping Mortimer the Ghost, the copying was unintentional, so there :colbert:
What are you going to do if some redhead tries to teach him to be more subtle?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

maswastaken posted:

What are you going to do if some redhead tries to teach him to be more subtle?

I think it has already happened. Mortimer stopped messing with the lights a year ago, same rough time I started seeing my girlfriend.

Who is also a handy electrician, but I am leaning on her being a medium now.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Daylights savings time! :argh: I have to wait another hour to read my morning comic :(

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Jesus Christ Ankou. Kat is reacting appropriately.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Wittgen posted:

Jesus Christ Ankou. Kat is reacting appropriately.

Kat finally gets a taste of what Annie and Mort have been dealing with the whole time except now Annie and Mort are just like "Oh, hi there Ankou."

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
Honestly, Kat's reaction couldn't have been better.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I'm just now, on page one thousand three hundred and thirty four, realizing that the dialog font uses no lower case letters. It doesn't even look like it's small caps.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

itskage posted:

I'm just now, on page one thousand three hundred and thirty four, realizing that the dialog font uses no lower case letters. It doesn't even look like it's small caps.

It's actually kind of an odd font, most comics do that though, but if you look a few letters are lower-case for seemingly no reason. Like 'a', 'f', 'h', 't', etc.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Brightman posted:

It's actually kind of an odd font, most comics do that though, but if you look a few letters are lower-case for seemingly no reason. Like 'a', 'f', 'h', 't', etc.
And they're lower-case even when they should be upper-case.

Stylistic reasons I suppose? a is more distinctive and "good looking" than A, same for f and F, h and H and t and T.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I wonder if Mort has mass or if the girls are just pretending he's solid to be polite.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Huh, you can just about see Annie's hand through Mort.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Her hand is actually inside Mort. It's really freaking him out but he's being polite about it.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=133

Wait. How can Mort be "new and inexperienced" in Annie's first year if he died and came to the Court in the 1940s?

Roger Tangerines fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 31, 2014

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Roger Tangerines posted:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=133

Wait. How can Mort be "new and inexperienced" in Annie's first year if he died and came to the Court in the 1940s?

I assume that for psychopomps, "new and inexperienced" means "been on the job for less than a century or two".

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Technogeek posted:

I assume that for psychopomps, "new and inexperienced" means "been on the job for less than a century or two".

Yeah, that makes sense. I mean, he could be 'new' in the sense that ghosts live forever so 60ish years is a pretty short timespan in the grand scheme of things, but you'd have expected him to pick some experience up in basically the lifetime of a human being.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Roger Tangerines posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. I mean, he could be 'new' in the sense that ghosts live forever so 60ish years is a pretty short timespan in the grand scheme of things, but you'd have expected him to pick some experience up in basically the lifetime of a human being.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Roger Tangerines posted:

He may have lived for 60 years but he's still a kid, and until recently he had no idea how to do his "job".

Now that I think about it, it's kind of sad that they dumped him there without teaching him how to do it. I'm glad Annie taught him how to scare people.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've been a little confused about the rtd perspective thing
namely how mort sees the halloween party in the flashback but seems to share annies perspective now.
I'm assuming its morts perception in the flashback because he doesn't act like dracula is anything other than what the reader sees.
It might have to do with how annie taught him her idea of what being scary means
Not sure then why Mort would then not think of Kat having a different perception than others if he's seen it happen himself ("How do you keep doing that!?"7 though.
Maybe I'm just being dense here

I don't remember this comic in the archives...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rita Repulsa posted:

I've been a little confused about the rtd perspective thing
namely how mort sees the halloween party in the flashback but seems to share annies perspective now.
I'm assuming its morts perception in the flashback because he doesn't act like dracula is anything other than what the reader sees.
It might have to do with how annie taught him her idea of what being scary means
Not sure then why Mort would then not think of Kat having a different perception than others if he's seen it happen himself ("How do you keep doing that!?"7 though.
Maybe I'm just being dense here

Kat sees things as they really are. Or rather, she sees how things really work, which is why she has random epiphanies when looking at an air conditioning unit, a pigeon wing, or a source cube. But either way, her perception of the ROTD was of its true nature. It's also what helps her see the crummy guy in the crummy costume, as well as what hides all the useless detail like the countless books that have no real purpose other than as decoration. The only thing she sees is what is actually useful, and the illusory embellishments are unseen.

Now the ROTD has an effect on people's perception, and they tend to see something majestic and sinister. Kat sees them as an inefficient administration with cheap tools and silly costumes. But that's an effect within the ROTD. Where did we see Boss Dracula? Outside, in the ruins of London after German bombing. Not in the ROTD. So Mort saw Boss Dracula without the perception-altering effect of the ROTD and saw him how Kat would see him.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So the rtd really is an eternal grade school halloween party. That's cool

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
There was a reader comment in the last page (which sadly is gone now) that was interesting. Paraphrasing, it went something like this:

Kat's perspective of the RoTD is crummy guys in crummy costumes; she sees the whole place as cheap. Mort's perspective that we see in the 1940's flashback isn't like Kat's at all. Mort's Dracula is neither crummy nor cheap; he is the perfect, well-groomed representation of the vampire stereotype. The ideal Dracula, from a kid's Halloween point of view. Which is only natural for Mort.

I liked it. As for why Mort's perspective seems to have changed throughout the years and become more like Annie's, I don't know. Experience, maybe?

This page raises another interesting point: death itself, as represented by the RoTD, is subjective; the ether guides aren't. Which maybe indicates the ether and death aren't as closely related as we thought.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cyphoderus posted:

This page raises another interesting point: death itself, as represented by the RoTD, is subjective; the ether guides aren't. Which maybe indicates the ether and death aren't as closely related as we thought.

It could be that the psychopomps are all mythic figures with fairly concrete appearances and personalities understood by most people that believed in them. The bureaucrats of the dead, however, and the realm as a whole are completely outside of common belief systems and seem to have no fixed appearance at all (a "mind filling the blanks" deal would make perfect sense here).

Mort's change in perspective is probably decades of experience turning from a kid full of bravado and fantasy into... well, still a kid, but one that lives in a magic-science college. It might also be that his perspective hasn't changed, it just isn't as similar to Kat's as might be implied.

Unrelated: Ankou is a friendly chap, isn't he? Always a compliment to spare for a young lady. Or a very, very old lady, in that one case.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 31, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
guys it was a cheap dracula because it worked in comic relief of the serious matter of a child getting shredded by shrapnel. no one is making you sperg about the metaphysical implications of every panel yknow

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

guys it was a cheap dracula because it worked in comic relief of the serious matter of a child getting shredded by shrapnel. no one is making you sperg about the metaphysical implications of every panel yknow
There's nothing wrong with discussing things.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

A big flaming stink posted:

That is an awesome post/avatar combo.

Normally, I'd agree with you though, but Tom's pretty much proven that he really puts tons of thought into the composition of each panel, so there almost definitely is deeper meaning behind the RoTD guy looking exactly like that sort of vampire.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

neogeo0823 posted:

That is an awesome post/avatar combo.

Normally, I'd agree with you though, but Tom's pretty much proven that he really puts tons of thought into the composition of each panel, so there almost definitely is deeper meaning behind the RoTD guy looking exactly like that sort of vampire.

You might want to reread the last chapter.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Lol

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

For those who wish to use Mort as a post shield:

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

seravid posted:

You might want to reread the last chapter.

How about the last several?

Tea-san posted:

About cliffhangers, weekends and chapter endings.

I don't plan any of that! Since I have a large buffer, there is no benefit for me to write my pages based on what day they might be live in two or three months in the future. When it comes to page planning, I only actively track two things:

1, Every chapter has to have an even number of pages including the title page. This is so each new chapter title will be on the right hand side page in a book two-page layout. So the bonus page will always be on the left, and a new chapter start on the right. I only did this out of personal choice.

2, Most importantly, I try to make each and every page worthwhile. If you take a look back at any random page in the archive and imagine they were uploaded on a Friday, I hope that it seems like a cliffhanger! It seems like every friday page was intentionally made into a mini cliffhanger but again, there is no benefit in me writing it that way since it all goes into an ongoing archive after that day passes. When I plan my pages I try to make sure there is some new information or a pushing forward of the plot and a reason to want to turn the page. Even if it's just a little decompression like the last couple of pages. If I look at a page plan/script and realise that there is nothing interesting happening, I have to scrap it and start again.

I hope that doing this makes the comic interesting to read, and when people claim I'm making cliffhanger fridays on purpose, I try to take it that they are just interested in seeing what happens next!

Tea-san posted:

Compositionally, I wanted Mort to be standing "in" London. The word, the city, and the area of the poster showing London for good measure.

Tea-san posted:

For someone in Ankou's line of work, meeting Jones is like meeting a celebrity. One who will never be caught. He's doing his best not to totally fangirl right now.

Also, he was not visible to her until he introduced himself.

I'm not trying to :worship: or to make a big deal, but even if not much seems to be happening in a given chapter, page, or panel, there's still a lot of thought being put into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Does this mean that we're gonna get to see Annie's version of Mr. Vampire Dad? :dance: