Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I'm blanking on the name, but there was a foppish manchild of a British aristocrat who simply went to bed one day and stayed there for the rest of his life. I want to say Edwardian era?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Crow Jane posted:

I'm blanking on the name, but there was a foppish manchild of a British aristocrat who simply went to bed one day and stayed there for the rest of his life. I want to say Edwardian era?

it turns out googling "British man in bed" does not yield the secrets you seek

I now know how to please a brit, however

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Ladies' Chatting Thread: foppish manchildren of British aristocrats

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Crow Jane posted:

me

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Obligatory Toast posted:

virginia whadduuuup

:respek:

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Jealous

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Wildlife Analysis posted:

it turns out googling "British man in bed" does not yield the secrets you seek

I now know how to please a brit, however

I consulted The Big Book of Weirdos (The Big Book of... series are awesome comics anthologies about weird history and the like, and I think a lot of you would like them), and it looks like his name was Stephen Tennant

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jetsetlemming posted:

I remember hearing in a Planet Money podcast about the Icelandic bank meltdown a couple years ago a throwaway fact that almost all of the country has one of like a dozen last names, and it struck me how sad that lack of diversity is
I feel lucky to live in a place as dense and diverse as Philly :)
i think both situations would have their ups and downs

also they don't have official last names, you have your dad's first name plus -son or -daughter.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Meis posted:

don't you sass me, colonial!

*impotent rage*

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

toe knee hand posted:

i hated my job

hated hated hated it

now i'm not working and it's hard to apply for jobs when you have to fill out bullshit applications like that one jetsetlemming posted up there (for school obviously but same drat thing) and also you don't want to work because work is bullshit

so it's like "please let me work for your terrible company that will make me hate my life i'll be awesome i promise oh god i need a drink"

:respek:

I just did 2 poo poo house job applications featuring "What? No, no I don't have an education, nooope" because I am stuck in this inglorious hole between my over qualification and inexperience (I worked for a call centre for 7 years while I hosed around and went to uni to get proper clever). Every now and then I get inspired to transfer all my over qualification into stuff like coordinators and trainers and team leaders, but there isn't enough of that sort of thing so at some point eventually I have to say "Okay, today is the day I have to be an enthusiastic idiot for some jobs that won't call me back either". And now I am eating a double chocolate muffin for breakfast because failure begets failure.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crow Jane posted:

I consulted The Big Book of Weirdos (The Big Book of... series are awesome comics anthologies about weird history and the like, and I think a lot of you would like them), and it looks like his name was Stephen Tennant

a similar bed dude is also one of the characters in At Swim-Two-Birds, which is a rad book that nobody knows about

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

WEEDLORDBONERHEGEL posted:

a similar bed dude is also one of the characters in At Swim-Two-Birds, which is a rad book that nobody knows about

That sounds really good... I've kind of been in a book rut, gonna see if the library has this

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
i was talking to someone earlier today who thought the cure for all mental illnesses was stuffing your face full of vitamins because he tried a grand total of 3 SSRIs and thinks he has a case against psychiatry as a whole because he put no actual effort into trying to fix himself
also did you know that psychiatrists, who have been to medical school and have worked with many people throughout their residency, don't actually know anything and you'd be better off going to someone who doesn't even have any sort of medical authority on anything???? because you know i tried like 3 out of 40+ drugs, less than 10 percent of what is available to me, and they didn't work too well so you know its all a scam!!!

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Chiba City Blues posted:

i was talking to someone earlier today who thought the cure for all mental illnesses was stuffing your face full of vitamins because he tried a grand total of 3 SSRIs and thinks he has a case against psychiatry as a whole because he put no actual effort into trying to fix himself
also did you know that psychiatrists, who have been to medical school and have worked with many people throughout their residency, don't actually know anything and you'd be better off going to someone who doesn't even have any sort of medical authority on anything???? because you know i tried like 3 out of 40+ drugs, less than 10 percent of what is available to me, and they didn't work too well so you know its all a scam!!!

yes i am bitter and kind of angry because someone with a severe illness is going to read all that and go "hm i havent had good results from the poo poo i am not taking according to schedule and refuse to talk to my doctor about so i agree it is all a sham" and then they end up in a mental hospital for a while or they end up dead because vitamins dont unfuck your brain chemicals wow who would have thought

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
shamelessly stolen from the hot modrons thread

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

What about taking brain pills AND vitamins?!?!

I have too many pills. 5 brain pills, 3 fish oil, 1 multivitamin, 1 vitamin D.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Crow Jane posted:

That sounds really good... I've kind of been in a book rut, gonna see if the library has this

Did you finish the Space Marines Battles series?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Chiba City Blues posted:

yes i am bitter and kind of angry because someone with a severe illness is going to read all that and go "hm i havent had good results from the poo poo i am not taking according to schedule and refuse to talk to my doctor about so i agree it is all a sham" and then they end up in a mental hospital for a while or they end up dead because vitamins dont unfuck your brain chemicals wow who would have thought

The problem with medication is that people assume they're supposed to just make everything better forever, no effort needed. It took me a while to start seeing changes in my life as I put myself out there and actually did what I was supposed to do with my SSRI. It doesn't make me happy all the time, but it allows me to brush off the little things and be who I want to be. This is after I thought meds would never work on me.

People are dumb and lazy.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Did you finish the Space Marines Battles series?

Was I supposed to?

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

shamelessly stolen from the hot modrons thread

Oh yeah there was a cookie cutter shark specimen at the exhibit too. They're very small for sharks, but the way they eat is so unsettling. Plus, they don't replace their teeth one by one, they replace them all in one go, and often swallow the discarded circle of teeth for the calcium.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

this is like me only a fish

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 3, 2014

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

Wow. Karl Pilkington must have driven him literally insane.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crow Jane posted:

it's Irish magical realism, it owns

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Chiba City Blues posted:

this is like me only a fish

This is me as a fish:

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Wildlife Analysis posted:

The problem with medication is that people assume they're supposed to just make everything better forever, no effort needed. It took me a while to start seeing changes in my life as I put myself out there and actually did what I was supposed to do with my SSRI. It doesn't make me happy all the time, but it allows me to brush off the little things and be who I want to be. This is after I thought meds would never work on me.

People are dumb and lazy.

yeah, people assume they take a pill and then after a week its smooth sailing and super happy all the time and they dont want to put any actual effort into it and get surprised when they don't see extreme results

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
LPing ain't easy.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

amarantinesky posted:

I just counted and I apparently take 13 pills daily. Not including my chewy calcium, B12, and vitamin c.

jesus criste

I take one for my sadbrains and one for my health (multivit). I can't imagine taking much more than that.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Like the Third Policman?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
also Portals has heard my IRL voice now

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

That sounds amazing, and it looks like it's still in print if the library fails me. Any excuse to go to the Central Branch is a good one though, it's such an amazing building

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Chiba City Blues posted:

there's a dude in fyad who bitches at length about how so called clinical depression is probably bullshit and all you need to do is EAT FRUITS AND VEGETABLES and WORK OUT TO ACTIVATE ENDORPHINS

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

there's a dude in fyad who bitches at length about how so called clinical depression is probably bullshit and all you need to do is EAT FRUITS AND VEGETABLES and WORK OUT TO ACTIVATE ENDORPHINS

if he's a fyad regular he's probably an expert in clinical depression

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

I'm still waiting for working out to make me happy, it so far throughout my life has always made me want to sit around in the dark for a while to compensate

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

amarantinesky posted:

I haven't read it yet but The Third Policeman is sitting on my bookshelf, begging to be read.
aw yuss, that is also an excellent one

try to find some of his collected comic writings (the ones that are in english, he also wrote a lot of stuff in gaelic) as well, loving hilarious

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

lol
eating a healthy diet and exercise helps with a lot of things but saying it's the only cure for depression that works is really stupid

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Jetsetlemming posted:

I'm still waiting for working out to make me happy, it so far throughout my life has always made me want to sit around in the dark for a while to compensate
I got more of an endorphin rush out of DDR and swimming than squatting 2xx pounds

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Jetsetlemming posted:

it helps for a few hours afterwards for me but after that im just back to normal, whatever normal is for me at the time

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

boom boom boom posted:

Like the Third Policman?

same author

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 3, 2014

• Locked thread