Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Heat usually works well on adhesives - try a heat gun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

metallicaeg posted:

So I'm seeing conflicted info (as always) as far as how to go about with a trans flush. Obviously Mercon V fluid, looking like anywhere from 14-18 quarts.

I'm seeing anywhere from dropping the pan, draining the torque converter, changing the filter, to taking it to a dealer for a flush, to disconnecting one of the lines going into/out of the radiator and flushing it through that way, all with a combination of stopping/starting the car and shifting through all the gears.

So now I'm clueless as to the best way to go about it, and I've never done any trans fluid changes or flushes so all this reading has me paranoid that every old drop needs to be out and I need to install an additional cooler as well.

Don't take it to a dealer, just find out what shops near you have PASSIVE flush machines (usually a BG machine). Passive machines don't use pressure, they just replace the old fluid with new fluid and do a good job of getting all the old poo poo out. And you don't need any "detergents" to clean it out either, it's just a fluid replacement, flush is really the wrong word to use. Doing it yourself it's hard to get all the old fluid out, even if you drain the converter it's not all coming out. The last two services I've had done I took mine to a shop. That being said, the next service I'll probably do myself since the mileage is getting near 150k and the filter should probably be changed. A shop would charge too much in labor to do that.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I changed the trans fluid in one of my cars years ago by dropping the pan, changing the filter and topping it off back to a normal level. Then I went even farther and unhooked the cooler lines. With the car running I had one bucket collect the discharge and another with clean fluid that the car sucked up.

It ended up being a huge clusterfuck and I got transmission fluid all over my dads garage floor. Wouldn't try it again, but at least I didn't gently caress up the car and it was a Taurus so the tranny was poo poo to begin with.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SouthLAnd posted:

I changed the trans fluid in one of my cars years ago by dropping the pan, changing the filter and topping it off back to a normal level. Then I went even farther and unhooked the cooler lines. With the car running I had one bucket collect the discharge and another with clean fluid that the car sucked up.

It ended up being a huge clusterfuck and I got transmission fluid all over my dads garage floor. Wouldn't try it again, but at least I didn't gently caress up the car and it was a Taurus so the tranny was poo poo to begin with.

Yeah, that major problem with that plan is that auto boxes won't "suck" fluid up from a bucket. This is why the passive fluch machine exists.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
I've got a Griots Garage fluid extractor I use for trans services.

Here

It's got a long plastic tube you feed down the dipstick pipe and it sucks out almost all of the fluid in the pan. Makes dropping the pan a much less messy affair. I plan on doing a service and filter change soon. I'm about to turn 30k on my LX. I also want to do a rear diff fluid change. Any recommendations on fluid, or should I stick with Ford OEM?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A lot of people swear by Motorcraft fluids (especially for the trans) but as long as you use the correct OEM specs for fluids you'll be fine.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
My passengers side lowbeam burned out and I was having the odd turn signal issue on that side as well. I'm loving the tool-less headlight retaining clips on these things, took 5 minutes to do all four bulbs.

Old and busted vs. new hottness.

P.S. this is the most fun car I've ever had in the winter, parking lot drifts/donuts are addicting

E: There was a bad seal around the old headlight that let a bunch of water into the housing, I drained it so hopefully it dries out eventually

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 2, 2014

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

P.S. this is the most fun car I've ever had in the winter, parking lot drifts/donuts are addicting

AMEN to that! I forgot how much fun RWD is in the snow. I've perfected semi-drifting around corners when it's snowing....lol

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MonkeyNutZ posted:

E: There was a bad seal around the old headlight that let a bunch of water into the housing, I drained it so hopefully it dries out eventually

If it was definitely the seal on the bulb, then no, it probably won't as long as the bulbs are installed.

If the housing is that easy to remove (fake edit: just looked at a video on youtube, looks as easy as the ones on my Saturd), I'd take it indoors overnight with the bulbs removed, with something like a desk or table fan blowing across the openings. Should dry it out as long as you've drained it.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
I can't let this thread die. I've been driving these cars for almost 4 years now. It all started because I needed cheap and reliable and cheap to insure, that I could also work on myself. Plus, I always had a soft spot for them. I'm on my second one now. The first was a silver 2003 former FBI use car. It was still a P71, it just had the street appearance package, which a sweet blue velour interior with a front bench seat. Sadly, it was killed by a monster Chevy SUV that ran a red light and totaled it out.

The day I brought it home. Not showroom new, but in pretty drat good shape.

Horrible accident pics now. The SUV rand a red left turn light and hit me frame to frame at around 40-45 miles per hour. My car did a 360 then went off the road and up on the grass in front of a gas station. There were two of us in my car, myself and a passenger in the front seat. Neither one of use was hurt, the only damage to us was a small bruise on my left leg because when we hit, my leg lifted up and hit the parking brake pedal. Guy in the SUV wasn't wearing a seat belt and cut his scalp open a bit, but it was mainly superficial.

Always get a reaction with this pic. "You survived? drat."

Airbags and the sweet velour interior.

Yes, the hood is coming through the windshield.

That was the end of cop car number one. I now drive a 2006 P71, just a plain old standard street car. I don't have a pic at the moment, but it's black on black, few small dents and very minor scratched in the paint in a few spots. It's been a great car now for over 2 years. This summer once it's a little nicer outside, I'm changing the police steelies out for 17 inch Bullit wheels that I'm having powder coated flat black, and chopping out the factory mufflers to be replace with dual Cherry Bomb glass packs.

EDIT: drat Imgur, got the pics right now.

themachine fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 1, 2014

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Still driving the poo poo out if mine, had it less than a year and already put like 30k miles on it. No problems yet. I guess that's why there are not a ton of post in here, they are pretty reliable.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Holdbrooks posted:

Still driving the poo poo out if mine, had it less than a year and already put like 30k miles on it. No problems yet. I guess that's why there are not a ton of post in here, they are pretty reliable.

Pretty much this for me. I just replaced my power steering pump and pulley a week or two ago and that's been the only major issue it's had to have fixed since I bought it in 2010, aside from requiring a new coil + spark plug and a low pressure power steering hose a couple years ago. I can't complain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some prick is trying to get a law drafted to prevent the sale of police vehicles to civilians because they are SO loving DANGEROUS or some poo poo. His position is that they are not only dangerous to use post police work, but it's too risky that criminals could buy them and pretend to be police. This guy doesn't seem to know that they sold CVs and Impala's outside of law enforcement.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

He also apparently doesn't realize that people could also just buy a base CV and then get the cosmetic stuff to make it look like an actual cop car, so people could still pretend to be police easily without the sale of former police cars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kinda sad to report I'm no longer a Panther owner, but a new roof for the house was more important so adios, it was good while it lasted :unsmith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

T1g4h posted:

He also apparently doesn't realize that people could also just buy a base CV and then get the cosmetic stuff to make it look like an actual cop car, so people could still pretend to be police easily without the sale of former police cars.

I know a dude who loves law enforcement so much that he did just that. He was too fat and stupid to be a real cop so he made his own cruiser.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

The only professional quality picture of my car is when we decorated it for my wedding.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rhyno posted:

Some prick is trying to get a law drafted to prevent the sale of police vehicles to civilians because they are SO loving DANGEROUS or some poo poo. His position is that they are not only dangerous to use post police work, but it's too risky that criminals could buy them and pretend to be police. This guy doesn't seem to know that they sold CVs and Impala's outside of law enforcement.

I have heard this argument before relating to other things and it is just as bullshit in this case as it is in any other.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Aww now I'm cruising police auctions again. It's either going to be a P71 or an XJ. Leaning toward the P71 with an anticipated out of town job coming up and lots of windshield time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

and it is just as bullshit in this case as it is in any other.

Says the man who owns dangerous military equipment.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

The shop I take my p71 to is insisting I get speed rated tires. Wtf.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Aren't all tires speed rated? Just different speeds.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

But these are special SPEED tires. For SPEED.

I told him I don't drive any faster than the limit and he started insisting that my car is too big for regular tires and I needed these special SPEED tires.

They've done good work for me in the past and I'm happy with them, but that whole experience sure was disappointing.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Elephanthead posted:

Yeah. Since the 90s it's been a requirement. If they are trying to push more expensive V or above rated tires on you just tell them to pound sand and find a local shop.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fucknag posted:

Says the man who owns dangerous military equipment.

:argh: if I could only catch up to you in it, ever, I'M GONNA KICK --> YOUR SORRY rear end!!! :argh:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bitchtard posted:

But these are special SPEED tires. For SPEED.

I told him I don't drive any faster than the limit and he started insisting that my car is too big for regular tires and I needed these special SPEED tires.

They've done good work for me in the past and I'm happy with them, but that whole experience sure was disappointing.

Many shops will not install a tire with a lower speed rating than the OEM offering. Tire Rack only lists V-rated (149 MPH) tires as OE even for civilian models, so that might be it right there.

Anyways don't cheap out on tires. They're the absolute last place you want to compromise no matter the vehicle, especially going worse than the OEM offering. Use cheap oil and burn cheap gas to make up the difference if you have to, this car won't complain about either.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

That's definitely what happened. I'd rather they said that then go salesman on me.

I'm not looking to cheap out, I just want the money I spend going to something that will be of practical use, like tread life, warranty, grip etc.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
These are my next tires for my Grand Marquis, Pirelli Cinturato P7:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...P7ASP&tab=Sizes

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I had those on my Peugeot 406, they were OK.

The Hankook and Michelin summers and winters I have now are much better, though.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I had the same thing when I went to a tire shop. The only thing that was "listed" for the car was the pursuit tires that the cops used I just want a super high milage tire since I have other performance cars.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

KozmoNaut posted:

I had those on my Peugeot 406, they were OK.

The Hankook and Michelin summers and winters I have now are much better, though.
How much does it cost to run summer/winter tires? I got a 2005 Grand Marquis last fall and the one time I took it out in winter weather gave me the willies.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Checking Tire Rack it would be about $850 + shipping for winter tires and steel wheels but half of that comes from the wheels which you can probably find a million of at any junkyard for nearly free.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And your tires will last longer since you're spreading the wear over two sets instead of one. So that mitigates the cost somewhat.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I found that Panthers go through summer tires pretty quick, I switched to all seasons and the tread life was much better. General Altimax were the last set I had and they were great tires.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So almost every Crown Vic I see locally has its windshield wipers frozen in some degree of upright position. Haven't seen any Grand Marquis like that. I'm assuming it's a common problem?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Summer tires are low treadwear for the most part, and being as these cars are heavy, of course they'll wear through them fast.

I'm rocking some triangles (brand) on the daily. Cheapest I could get locally with no wait. A friend of mine has been using this brand for years with no complaints.

Thaxxas
Dec 17, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

So almost every Crown Vic I see locally has its windshield wipers frozen in some degree of upright position. Haven't seen any Grand Marquis like that. I'm assuming it's a common problem?

Nope, don't think so. Not around here anyways. IF it was a notoriously common thing you'd see it on the Grand Marquis as well since they use the same parts. I just checked on an 05 and the governor is integral to the motor. I don't remember the last time I sold a wiper motor for a Crown vic.

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice

Goober Peas posted:

My wiper motor just recently poo poo itself. The wiper control module is built into the motor directly behind the drive gear, and on mine I guess the plastic drive gear wore down enough to allow it to start slipping, so the gear got chewed up, and got grease and bits of plastic shavings all on it, which forced the wipers to stay on, damaging the gear further and forcing me to pull the fuse. Craziest thing, when I pulled the cowling off, there was a good 15 feet or so of shredded neon yarn wrapped around the motor shaft, probably why it stripped the gear in the first place. Thanks PO for whatever the gently caress you did to cause that.

Its also an expensive part, $99 for a reman or 150-200 for OEM. For new I just have the wipers bungee'd down and the motor removed until my replacement I ordered online arrives. It is an issue that can also happen if the seal on the housing lets any moisture in and corrodes the control module.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

Replaced my w/s motor last summer. Just would not park anymore. About a 30 minute job, Autozone had it in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
As to the guy trying to make auction sales illegal, won't happen. Would be on the state level and the smaller locales who still have cv's would lose their poo poo if what remains of their rolling stock went from worth $2k each to $0 overnight.