Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ponzicar posted:

I'm most of the way through chapter 2, and it seems fair so far. No candy crush style bullshit.

This is what I like most about the game, really. The premium currency barely factors into the game, except for getting some cosmetic stuff, as well as higher levels of certain abilities. But even then, that's not an issue because candy (the premium currency) is so easy to get:

1) Every achievement comes with candy
2) Every twelve hours you can 'search' your office for candy, which basically means that each piece of furniture you own has a chance of giving you a candy. There's furniture you can buy with in-game money that also increases this chance.
3) Every matching puzzle from a newspaper gives you the potential to get 'bonus cash' - if you match 10 of these bonus cash together, you get a candy.
4) In addition to (3), there's a single candy that you can get in each newspaper case, the requirements of which don't appear until you're directly on top of it, so it's somewhat luck-based, but if you've got a diverse selection of stuff on your board, chances are good you can grab it.
5) Story case files also have candy hidden in different areas.

It's seriously a non-issue to get this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cprun0227
Nov 25, 2002
what

Morpheus posted:

This is what I like most about the game, really. The premium currency barely factors into the game, except for getting some cosmetic stuff, as well as higher levels of certain abilities. But even then, that's not an issue because candy (the premium currency) is so easy to get:

1) Every achievement comes with candy
2) Every twelve hours you can 'search' your office for candy, which basically means that each piece of furniture you own has a chance of giving you a candy. There's furniture you can buy with in-game money that also increases this chance.
3) Every matching puzzle from a newspaper gives you the potential to get 'bonus cash' - if you match 10 of these bonus cash together, you get a candy.
4) In addition to (3), there's a single candy that you can get in each newspaper case, the requirements of which don't appear until you're directly on top of it, so it's somewhat luck-based, but if you've got a diverse selection of stuff on your board, chances are good you can grab it.
5) Story case files also have candy hidden in different areas.

It's seriously a non-issue to get this stuff.

Yeah, these tips are pretty accurate, few other things that will help
1. Get the ability that allows you to switch two items for 5 lockpicks, and try not to pickup evidence until you can get 3 in a row to produce a bonus square. I'm hoarding my candy for the 500 candy acheivement, but I've still upgraded the lockpicks skill one level, it's that useful.

2. Other really good skills are the free turn for a police badge, and the pickup any item type for a brass knuckle. Once you have those skills, picking badges and brass knuckles up with a bonus can be huge.

3. As far as furniture goes, pick up the ones that give you more cash for extra clues and the one that allows you to complete challenges early on. Both greatly increase your cash output. The one that gives you a free pins tool per case is pretty good as well.

4. On newspaper cases, try and get 3 evidence in a row at the beginning before picking up evidence. Then save that bonus for either 3 badges or 3 brass knuckles. After that try to not pick evidence up else up unless absolutely necessary, or you get 3 badges/knuckles in a row. If you use the bonuses wisely, you'll be able to have at least one hanging around when the clues turn to gold. Bonuses won't add more candy, but they will add a decent amount of cash when picking up gold coins, especially if you have enough coins to get a candy. Cheap tools like the eraser can be huge here.

5. If you have extra time after finding the correct item during building searches , try searching other objects in the house until you have a couple of minutes left. You can pick up a lot of candy and other items if you search in the less accessible rooms of the building.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently, 2048 is becoming increasingly more popular than Threes simply because it's free. Major media outlets have latched onto it and have pushed downloads for it pretty high. Meanwhile, no one knows that Threes is the first game and not a clone.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/04/2048s-massive-popularity-triggers-cloning-controversy/

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Antti posted:

Yeah, this is exactly how Candy Crush works, so I'm not expecting to be able to "finish" the game per se.

For what its worth, my partner has not spent any money on candy crush, and she is at level 540 ish and has had to wait for them to release more levels repeatedly.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

That's a relief to learn about ACS. Still waiting for that update to happen on EU though.

Frogmanv2 posted:

For what its worth, my partner has not spent any money on candy crush, and she is at level 540 ish and has had to wait for them to release more levels repeatedly.

I'm not saying it's literally impossible to play out Candy Crush without spending money (that's probably of PR significance to them if nothing else), but it's definitely designed so that ordinary people inevitably run into a wall where the only way to keep going is IAP boosts.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently, 2048 is becoming increasingly more popular than Threes simply because it's free. Major media outlets have latched onto it and have pushed downloads for it pretty high. Meanwhile, no one knows that Threes is the first game and not a clone.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/04/2048s-massive-popularity-triggers-cloning-controversy/

I hate Kotaku, so I only skimmed through the article. First of all, 1024 is not a clone of Threes. It plays very differently, although uses a somewhat similar premise. It's like saying that Sonic is a Super Mario Bros. clone. As for cloning as a phenomenon, how is it even newsworthy nowadays? All popular apps have their clones. You've got your 'annoyed animals', 'connect three in a cave adventures' and 'objects waving their wings' in spades. Most of them add nothing new to established gameplay mechanics and as a result very rarely are as popular as the original. But some still manage to come up with some innovation and push the boundaries of emerging (sub)genres.

Also, 1024 now has a 2048 game mode now.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

And to be fair, 2048 was released when Threes had no plans of coming to Android.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Morpheus posted:

And to be fair, 2048 was released when Threes had no plans of coming to Android.

This is the biggest thing. You can't make a simple but good game that gets publicity, lock out 50%+ of your potential market, then complain when someone does the obvious and releases a clone while the original's popularity is still high.

However, it seems like a lot of the complaint was reviewers/journalists ignoring that Threes came first when discussing this kind of game, which is pretty dumb.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Morpheus posted:

There were plans pretty much immediately, the clones popped up during the month it took for the Android version to come out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Does it run better than Threes does? I couldn't believe how long Threes took to load and get to playing.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

ponzicar posted:

Also, the solutions to the map, room searching, and suspect identifying sections are the same every time you play then, and they make sense according to the story. So you don't need to waste your time looking inside a shoebox for a missing truck, for example.

I also like that they let you do detective work yourself. Once you're past the first puzzle in an actual case, logic can supplant the solving. You can find places without maps by remembering details, or even pick the person out of the picture lineup sometimes. Almost all of them have jokes you can just eliminate. Most recently I did the vampire case, and I was pretty sure Mina Harker wasn't the vampire. It was the one with fangs, go figure.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Fallom posted:

Does it run better than Threes does? I couldn't believe how long Threes took to load and get to playing.

Really? I can go from home screen to playing in about 8 seconds. I just counted.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

New Leaf posted:

Really? I can go from home screen to playing in about 8 seconds. I just counted.

And how long does it take http://gabrielecirulli.github.io/2048/ to load from the internet?

I like both games. Their slightly different rule sets are sort of game changers.

Also 2048 is open source, so you get silly things like http://doge2048.com/ and http://games.usvsth3m.com/2048-doctor-who-edition/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

New Leaf posted:

16 for me.

And there's tons of variations on the app store, no need to load it from Chrome.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
Sometimes in another case solved, there will be a candy on the path where the witnesses and tasks are, with a question mark above it. And eventually when I get to it, it just disappears. How do I collect it?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Sometimes in another case solved, there will be a candy on the path where the witnesses and tasks are, with a question mark above it. And eventually when I get to it, it just disappears. How do I collect it?

When you are one step in front of it, the question mark will change to a clue or evidence icon, and you have to collect what it says within one turn to collect it.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

ponzicar posted:

When you are one step in front of it, the question mark will change to a clue or evidence icon, and you have to collect what it says within one turn to collect it.

Thanks! Are the minor newspaper cases infinite? Seems like no matter how many I do there are always more.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Thanks! Are the minor newspaper cases infinite? Seems like no matter how many I do there are always more.

They're going to be your most limited resource in chapter 3. You only get one every few minutes and you need 10 for each case.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Yeah, they get delivered on a timer.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Thanks guys, this game is really addicting.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
There's a new Humble Bundle out. The games this time are:

Broken Sword 2
Bridge Constructor
Type:Rider
Ravensword: Shadowlands

with Kingdom Rush and Knights of Pen & Paper the beat the average games.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mrkillboy posted:

There's a new Humble Bundle out. The games this time are:

Broken Sword 2
Bridge Constructor
Type:Rider
Ravensword: Shadowlands

with Kingdom Rush and Knights of Pen & Paper the beat the average games.

Type:Rider and Ravensword were on my wishlist for month now. Don't care much about bridge building games anymore, but Broken Sword 2 is a nice adventure game that I've missed and wanted to play for awhile, too. A great bundle all in all.

E: oh boy, am I stupid. I've confused Ravensword with Ravenmark. drat you, generic fantasy titles. Now I'm a bit more hesitant about this bundle.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 2, 2014

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The first two Broken Sword games are classics in the adventure game genre. I definitely recommend the bundle for that game alone.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
knights of pen and paper is probably the most fun of the "retro" JRPG-style games i've played on android. I basically hate that genre at this point but KoP&P is really, really good.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
Type:rider is fantastic

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

andrew smash posted:

knights of pen and paper is probably the most fun of the "retro" JRPG-style games i've played on android. I basically hate that genre at this point but KoP&P is really, really good.

It was fun while it lasted but I eventually hit this annoying wall and I'm stuck and I hate it now. :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It was fun while it lasted but I eventually hit this annoying wall and I'm stuck and I hate it now. :(

Yeah I got to a point where I needed to grind to not get steamrolled and just kind of lost interest.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Len posted:

Yeah I got to a point where I needed to grind to not get steamrolled and just kind of lost interest.

I'm trying to think of where this could possibly be but drawing a blank. Are you doing the post-endgame stuff or something? Because otherwise, I mean, the game is only as hard as you make it, I can't imagine how you could do enough to progress but not be strong enough to get by doing the bare minimum battles.

Unless you made horrible decisions in picking your party and allocating skill points, the game is unbalanced as gently caress because a whole bunch of skill point dumps are traps that completely suck, most classes have only 1 or 2 skills you should ever put any points in.

edit: I bought the humble bundle because why not, but is Ravensword even REMOTELY as good as it looks? Because like, Totally-Not-Skyrim on my phone sounds too good to be true.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

precision posted:

Unless you made horrible decisions in picking your party and allocating skill points, the game is unbalanced as gently caress because a whole bunch of skill point dumps are traps that completely suck, most classes have only 1 or 2 skills you should ever put any points in.

Probably this.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Schizoguy posted:

Tight little game. Couple of suggestions, though:

If an endless runner is going to hold my attention for more than a few minutes, it's going to need a Mission system. And some sort of permanent currency. Which can be used to buy... hell if I know. Head Starts, Last Chances, and whatnot. I suggest that you blatantly copy features from Jetpack Joyride.
Completely agreed, I've been playing Jetpack Joyride since it launched and I'm STILL playing it now. The missions keep me coming back for more. I re-purchased it when I switched from iPhone to a Nexus 5 last year and have logged a ridiculous 72 hours on it since then.

That's a lot of poop breaks at work.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

datajosh posted:

There were plans pretty much immediately, the clones popped up during the month it took for the Android version to come out.

Oh, I remember hearing different. I must've been misinformed, it's not really a game I followed.

psylent posted:

Completely agreed, I've been playing Jetpack Joyride since it launched and I'm STILL playing it now. The missions keep me coming back for more. I re-purchased it when I switched from iPhone to a Nexus 5 last year and have logged a ridiculous 72 hours on it since then.

That's a lot of poop breaks at work.

The only way I can continually play an endless runner is if there's a progression system (but then usually there's an 'end' to the game, which means I won't play it as long but which means I'll enjoy it more). Knightmare Tower, for example.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Doubled posted

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I think I'm playing Godville wrong. All I really do is check in, read the goofy poo poo my dude has done, heal him if he needs it, see if he has any useful gear I can activate.. That's the game, right? Am I missing something deeper? Does me telling him to do things ever work?

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Noir Syndrome, a game I'd been keeping an eye out has been released for the PC, Mac and Android.

quote:

Noir Syndrome is a procedurally generated Detective Murder-Mystery with a new story every time! Featuring slick pixel art animations and a jazzy soundtrack, the player is thrown right in to a highly stylized vision of film noir. Visit locations, interrogate suspects, search for clues, and eventually solve the case before the killer escapes - or you wind up dead yourself.

If the game manages to keep the mysteries a bit bite-sized, I can imagine this being a good game for on the go. Gonna give it a try.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Welcome to mobile gaming, New Leaf.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I like how they updated Another Case Solved to remove retry costs but didn't change the furniture that makes retry costs lower.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

New Leaf posted:

I think I'm playing Godville wrong. All I really do is check in, read the goofy poo poo my dude has done, heal him if he needs it, see if he has any useful gear I can activate.. That's the game, right? Am I missing something deeper? Does me telling him to do things ever work?

Did you read the description of the game at all?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

New Leaf posted:

Yep, that's it. It's a so-called ZPG (zero-player game). The 'genre' started with Progress Quest (a parody of low-effort MMO games, specifically Everquest) that required zero input after character creation.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

Yep, that's it. It's a so-called ZPG (zero-player game). The 'genre' started with Progress Quest (a parody of low-effort MMO games, specifically Everquest) that required zero input after character creation.

Haven't Idle RPGs been around for longer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

PerrineClostermann posted:

Haven't Idle RPGs been around for longer?

PQ has been around since ~2000. Dunno if there are any older ones.

• Locked thread