Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Necc0 posted:

IMO he should keep it. He'll be a celebrity in any server he whips that out in.

Nah, he should sell it to some other dude who wants to feed his own ego in a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
WHAT'S GUCCI

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.
Got my first hackusation today in a DM server. I was playing with some kid (literally, he sounded twelve) who I told on Reddit I'd help out in hopes that his friends would stop making fun of him, so it felt extra good. Moved him from a 2 inch/360 to a 15 inch/360, showed him how recoil works, explained ADAD spam, and gave him some advice on how to warm up / practice. He told me after that game that it was the first DM that he didn't bottomfrag. Felt really good.

Unused
Aug 29, 2008

:pcgaming:
Best thing to happen tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s286nhT1SP8

John T Scrungus
Oct 23, 2010

:confused:
http://i.imgur.com/IqviO9u.png

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Awwwwww poo poo.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

This is actually the best CS clip I've ever seen.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
First seang@ares now aborn.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 1, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

This tops the worst goonman ninja defuse video. Holy poo poo. Haha.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Not this one Valve, don't monetise this one.........

e: *checks calendar*

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

teagone posted:

This tops the worst goonman ninja defuse video. Holy poo poo. Haha.

This is peak goonman

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Jfc that guy has the most annoying laugh.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Katana Gomai posted:

Jfc that guy has the most annoying laugh.

Nope, it makes the video.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Can anyone elaborate on how DPI affects gameplay? I just ordered my first gaming mouse and it has multiple DPI options (500, 1000, 2000). Ever since CSGO came out, I've been playing with a mouse that's fixed at 1000DPI, with 0.6 sensitivity. Would I have a considerable adjustment period if I drop down to 500DPI? What are the benefits, if any, of playing at a lower DPI?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

As long as it's 'real' DPI, playing at the highest with lower sensitivity is best, since you'll be more accurate.

Let DPI chat commence.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Yeah...

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I hope there's a stencil which sprays your steam profile pic

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I've heard the concept of "native DPI" of sensors on various forums, similar to the native resolution of an LCD monitor. According to some of these folks, running at non-native introduces interpolation and thus inconsistency. I don't have the knowledge to affirm or debunk said concept. I searched endlessly for data on the G500 sensor until I found a post that said it worked on an increment I cant remember at the moment. Having nothing else to go on, I then chose a DPI that worked for normal desktop use and used the in/360 tool to change my in-game sensitivity so that I kept my final sensitivity the same.

I'm not good enough to notice any difference or improvements that couldn't also be attributed to the focused practice I've been doing lately. I'm also still on a lovely Allsop hard pad that is far too small.

On that note, who here has actual 'gear' they wear while gaming? I have a few Underarmour long sleeve crew shirts for Ultimate that I've started wearing to keep my arm from sticking to my desk. Which helps tremendously for consistent snapshots. (My REAL secret weapon is no pants gaming :v:)

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 1, 2014

Carrier
May 12, 2009

I have literally no idea what the DPI of my mouse is, its some lovely HP mouse that ive googled a million times and not found any info on so ive never been able to figure out my inchess/360 etc.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The thing about 'native DPI', is that there isn't any official data out there on what it is, at least not for the Razer 3.5G. The common wisdom on some gaming forums is that the Razer 3.5G's native DPI is 1800.

If it's a real thing I guess hardware manufacturers don't want to give this subject too much publicity as it means that the differences past a certain DPI threshold will be negligible. My opinion though is that it would take superhuman sensory abilities to tell the difference between equivalent angle-per-inch settings at different DPIs and that this is the sort of thing gamers pay attention to without really being able to tell the difference. Maybe when you play with really low DPI it might be tangible but once you go over 800 the differences are probably tiny.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My biggest problem with mice these days is size. I've got massive mitts that can completely cover my G500 no problem. The best thing I had to a great fit was the MX1000, but alas, wireless. Plus there are hardly any computer stores with mice on display so I can't get out and fondle a bunch of them, and I'd rather not deal with returns using online stores.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Beach Bum posted:

My biggest problem with mice these days is size. I've got massive mitts that can completely cover my G500 no problem. The best thing I had to a great fit was the MX1000, but alas, wireless. Plus there are hardly any computer stores with mice on display so I can't get out and fondle a bunch of them, and I'd rather not deal with returns using online stores.

I would love to see some info that isn't 10 years out of date in regards to wireless mice being inferior to wired ones. There seems to be this incredible hangover from the earliest days that wireless mice are to be shunned, but there is literally no perceptible difference in using wired/wireless these days.

I've been using wireless mice for, I dunno, 7 years at least. Never any input lag, never run out of battery in a game, never had any kind of interference despite using a lot of wireless pieces of equipment. I have more problems with a wired mouse getting cable caught on the edge of the table, or slightly pulling my mouse in one direction.

DPI Talk: More is more accurate, but you're talking extremely marginal gains above 1600-1800 DPI. Mice that sell themselves as having like 4000 DPI or whatever are not worth the price premium.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

kcer posted:

Not this one Valve, don't monetise this one.........

e: *checks calendar*

:(

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah, the latency for Bluetooth is what, 10ms? Hardly noticeable.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Jeoh posted:

Yeah, the latency for Bluetooth is what, 10ms? Hardly noticeable.

Indeed, and you can buy wireless gaming mice that have 1-2ms. This point is moot however, since unless you have jacked up your USB Polling Rate, all USB mice have an in-built 8ms input lag unless their driver software adjusts it for you.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
dont buy a wireless gaming mouse u loving fool

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

my right arm is firewire

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

dont buy a wireless gaming mouse u loving fool

sound jelly that I can make my mouse fly around while I make aeroplane noises and still own ur rear end

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

After stumbling down to nova 3 from master guardian 2 and climbing back up I have a question about how ELO in general works. Could it be coincidence that I ranked up two games in a row which seems unusual or would the system be able to tell that even though my rank was lower that it was supposed to be higher or something?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
You and your opponents each have a score that represents their rank, the winner of a match takes some ranking points from the loser of the match. The higher your ranking score is compared to your opponents the less points you win (and they lose) and vice versa. So if, for instance, a Silver 2 ranked player is matched against a double AK and wins the match he will get a whole bunch of scoring points and might rank up several ranks at once, on the other hand if the silver ranked player loses the match he will lose very few points and the double AK will earn very few points.

So it's possible you had a few games where you played against higher ranked opposition, or that the first game got you close to the threshold of the next rank and it only required few points to get you to the next one, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You and your opponents each have a score that represents their rank, the winner of a match takes some ranking points from the loser of the match. The higher your ranking score is compared to your opponents the less points you win (and they lose) and vice versa. So if, for instance, a Silver 2 ranked player is matched against a double AK and wins the match he will get a whole bunch of scoring points and might rank up several ranks at once, on the other hand if the silver ranked player loses the match he will lose very few points and the double AK will earn very few points.

So it's possible you had a few games where you played against higher ranked opposition, or that the first game got you close to the threshold of the next rank and it only required few points to get you to the next one, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

I get the basics of ELO for the most part but the two games where I ranked up twice in a row were against equally ranked opponents which is where the confusion came from.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

If you're beating people at the same rank as you, you probably belong in a higher bracket.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

hello internet posted:

I get the basics of ELO for the most part but the two games where I ranked up twice in a row were against equally ranked opponents which is where the confusion came from.

Well you still get points for beating equally ranked opponents; what I don't know is how the points are weighted within your team. I always figured there'd be a point "pool" the losing team contributes, and you get more points out of it the better you do? Or does everyone on the winning team get the points based on their rank vs. the average opponent's rank?

It's Elo, by the way, it's a name not an acronym.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

The prank is that everyone will think it's a prank when it really isn't :pranke:

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

Well you still get points for beating equally ranked opponents; what I don't know is how the points are weighted within your team. I always figured there'd be a point "pool" the losing team contributes, and you get more points out of it the better you do? Or does everyone on the winning team get the points based on their rank vs. the average opponent's rank?

It's Elo, by the way, it's a name not an acronym.

I always hear that it's 100% win/loss for ranking but those two games I ranked up I was also top points on the team, probably coincidence but who knows.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
That spray picture comes from this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2yZOuh8wQ4

It's not real and it's just a fan made mockup of what Valve could do with sprays

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

astr0man posted:

That spray picture comes from this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2yZOuh8wQ4

It's not real and it's just a fan made mockup of what Valve could do with sprays

so wait a fan made a mockup of a pay2spray model

well gently caress that fan for being an rear end in a top hat lemme tell ya

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Jellidelic posted:

so wait a fan made a mockup of a pay2spray model

well gently caress that fan for being an rear end in a top hat lemme tell ya
I'd pay for sprays, though, for realsises.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I finally felt like I was getting back in stride with CS last night and then, as I was about to play matchmaking, I spilled a glass of water all over my computer. I think it was for the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Sprays will come in crates and the market will be flooded with a million half-life lambda logo sprays for 1 cent, but it will be worth the $2.50 to uncrate every drop when I finally get that holographic animated giant dick spray.

• Locked thread