Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Cozz posted:

starts off good, adds fan service, then ends.

New thread title right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

"Youre not really a bad person, come join Fairy Tail!" is pretty much the resolution to every major arc in this series, so it was nice to see it busted down to a single chapter.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I thought both scenes with the pool table were pretty good, so not a bad side story chapter.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

U-DO Burger posted:

New thread forum title right here.

:colbert:

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
this chapter killed the tension in record time.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Fairy Tail Chapter 377.

Fairy Tail Chapter 378.

gently caress me. For a second there I thought he'd actually done it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I had to google Doranbolt to find out how much bullshit that chapter ending was. It still is, but I guess Doranbolt actually does have teleportation magic, I had completely forgotten everything about him and his abilities other than his memory control stuff.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Given the color spread, is Natsu-Pink the true color of a real dragonslayer's hair? I guess it's better than going blonde.

Countdown to Gajeel's pink haired power-up.

More mangas need to realize the true power of drill attacks.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Eh. After the Lisanna thing this is hardly surprising. I'm just happy Wendy got a moment to shine without the bad guy saying "HAHAHA ACTUALLY NO I'M SUPER STRONG YOU TOTALLY CAN'T BEAT ME" followed by Natsu punching his way into the scene for no reason.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm just glad that Carla actually used her ability to see the future in a useful way, rather then seeing a vision and not telling anyone about it. Also seeing Wendy be a legitimate bad rear end was cool.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
Dragon Force was awesome, and I almost forgot I was reading Fairy Tail and got worried Wendy was going to die.

An cute side chapter has also been updated here.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

attackbunny posted:

gently caress me. For a second there I thought he'd actually done it.
There are characters that might get killed in Fairy Tail, but it feels like there's no way he'd actually blow up Wendy with her cat.

Wendy beating it hard was excellent, the art really conveyed a great sense of speed.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cozz posted:

If Fairy Tail was nothing but stupid side stories for the rest of it's run I'd be happy as a clam. The manga really is at it's best when it's just a bunch of friends goofing off.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Cozz posted:

The last few chapters have been pretty good, fanservice angles aside. I don't get why they didn't just buy back the memento if it's only worth a day's work but really even thinking that much about Fairy Tail is a mistake.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

pinegala posted:

I don't get why they didn't just buy back the memento if it's only worth a day's work but really even thinking that much about Fairy Tail is a mistake.

Eh, Lucy and Natsu have a more diverse skillset to work with (Especially Lucy.) By contrast I think Alzack and Bisca are only good at shooting things.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Cozz posted:

Fairy Tail Side Chapter An Erza Chapter. So starts off good, adds fan service, then ends.

I was more worried the chapter would have more fanservice, since it was in a seinen mag. And from what I've heard, it was supposed to be a flashback of how Bisca joined the guild too. I don't know, Mashima doesn't focus enough on the lesser cast for me to get that right away.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Kuroyama posted:

I was more worried the chapter would have more fanservice, since it was in a seinen mag. And from what I've heard, it was supposed to be a flashback of how Bisca joined the guild too. I don't know, Mashima doesn't focus enough on the lesser cast for me to get that right away.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I was just thinking when reading the side chapter with Asuka that the Bisca in the flashback reminded me of "Rouge." And I think Bisca was also an immigrant or something.
Where was it explicitly said it was supposed to be about Bisca though? I don't doubt that it's her, but it sounds like I didn't read Something.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Now he's breaking the rules of his own fantasy world. Great.

That was the worst asspull ever.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
haha gently caress off. That was terrible.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 30, 2014

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
One thing that puzzles me about Fairy Tail is how the creator is able to knock out four chapters like that, a feat he has done several times in the past (I recall Zeref's introduction was something like 3 chapters in one week). Every other weekly manga author is made out to just barely be completing a weekly strip alongside no social life and only a few hours sleep every night. Mashima's schedule seems no different than anyone else and I can't recall anytime he has ever missed a week due to illness/personal issues.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Zogundar posted:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I was just thinking when reading the side chapter with Asuka that the Bisca in the flashback reminded me of "Rouge." And I think Bisca was also an immigrant or something.
Where was it explicitly said it was supposed to be about Bisca though? I don't doubt that it's her, but it sounds like I didn't read Something.

Like I said, I just read elsewhere that it's a flashback. The hints from the chapter are that both are immigrants, Moulin is Bisca's maiden name, she looks like the young Bisca in the Asuka chapter, and I guess the mouse (a side chapter says Bisca likes animals). But yeah, really could've used a page that says it flat out. I guess Mashima wanted to be subtle, but he doesn't do subtle well.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DeadBonesBrook posted:

One thing that puzzles me about Fairy Tail is how the creator is able to knock out four chapters like that, a feat he has done several times in the past (I recall Zeref's introduction was something like 3 chapters in one week). Every other weekly manga author is made out to just barely be completing a weekly strip alongside no social life and only a few hours sleep every night. Mashima's schedule seems no different than anyone else and I can't recall anytime he has ever missed a week due to illness/personal issues.

I wonder how that relates to FT being faster-paced than most shonen manga. I think Mashima just thinks fast (which isn't the same as being a good writer).

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
He either has a lot of the work be done by his assistants, or he spends less time on the planning/rough draft phase. That's what makes the most sense to me.

EDIT: On that note: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-30/monthly-fairy-tail-magazine-to-launch-with-fairy-tail-zero-manga. Long story short, There's gonna be a FT magazine coming out, with a prequel manga by Mashima while working on the main series. To quote Mashima, "Yeah, I'm going to be in hell."

Kuroyama fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 31, 2014

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Jesus, for being a more-titties-less-story One Piece, Fairy Tail is becoming insanely big. Is it that popular in Japan?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Jesus, for being a more-titties-less-story One Piece, Fairy Tail is becoming insanely big. Is it that popular in Japan?
.... apparently yes

quote:

In Japan, the fifth volume of Fairy Tail was ranked seventh in a list of the top ten manga, and the series once again placed seventh after the release of the sixth volume.[53] Fairy Tail was in 2011 the 4th best selling manga in Japan (by series).
I'm still honestly waiting for the manga to pickup. To me it's pre-Water 7 if we are comparing it to One Piece.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I want to say it gets by on the strength of the characters, but I honestly can't even agree with that that much. Natsu is bland as hell, and while I like Lucy, Juvia, and Gray they get constantly sidelined. That pretty much just leaves Erza to carry the series, which she ably does. Maybe it's conditioning or desensitization, but Erza has been shown to be weird and kind of a little dumb enough that I'm okay with her choices of outfits, exploitative as they may be. That said, I don't think we've really had a strong arc in a while, probably not since the guild vs. guild fight way early on. A few decent moments, sure, but basically everything after Wendy's introduction has been kind of lame.

But seriously, Mashima, let Lucy, Gray, and Juvia actually do something for once?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 1, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

chumbler posted:

I want to say it gets by on the strength of the characters, but I honestly can't even agree with that that much. Natsu is bland as hell, and while I like Lucy, Juvia, and Gray they get constantly sidelined. That pretty much just leaves Erza to carry the series, which she ably does. Maybe it's conditioning or desensitization, but Erza has been shown to be weird and kind of a little dumb enough that I'm okay with her choices of outfits, exploitative as they may be. That said, I don't think we've really had a strong arc in a while, probably not since the guild vs. guild fight way early on. A few decent moments, sure, but basically everything after Wendy's introduction has been kind of lame.

But seriously, Mashima, let Lucy, Gray, and Juvia actually do something for once?

I liked the tournament arc; it had a bunch of weird competitions that weren't straightforward fights, Erza fighting ALL the monsters, Cana actually accomplishing something with Fairy Glitter, and some focus on characters who weren't from FT. This supports my view that tournament and rescue arcs tend to be good, while war arcs and arcs where a bunch of protagonists fight a single powerful villain tend to be bad.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

chumbler posted:

Well at least Gray is getting a spinoff manga in the FT magazine, and more will pop up later on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Gajeel/Gray buddy-cop spinoff.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

I liked the tournament arc; it had a bunch of weird competitions that weren't straightforward fights, Erza fighting ALL the monsters, Cana actually accomplishing something with Fairy Glitter, and some focus on characters who weren't from FT. This supports my view that tournament and rescue arcs tend to be good, while war arcs and arcs where a bunch of protagonists fight a single powerful villain tend to be bad.

The tournament arc was good. Also FT is about having fun with a bunch of dumb characters. If Lucy returned to her usefulness way back when she teamed up with Juvia to do that merged water thing, and the exploitative panty shot angles were turned down, it'd be perfect.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

chumbler posted:

I feel like Erza is nicely summed up in this recent side chapter in which she thinks pools is played by actually smashing other balls with the cue, mugs a random waitress for her outfit, and then is shown to be able to reflect bullets in such a way as to sink a bunch of balls, all because she went out for dessert.

Or in other words: she's loving great.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

It's basically One Piece with a lot more fan service and no one (well no one anyone cares about) ever dies ever so I can imagine it getting really big since One Piece has been kinda ehhhhhh since the whole new world thing.

KoB
May 1, 2009

chumbler posted:

I think the popularity of Dragon Ball tells you everything you need to know about the strength of characters being important for Shonen and Japan. Goku is 10x more bland than Natsu and everyone loves him.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

KoB posted:

I think the popularity of Dragon Ball tells you everything you need to know about the strength of characters being important for Shonen and Japan. Goku is 10x more bland than Natsu and everyone loves him.
Well, DBZ originates the 'way more interesting secondary character' thing, doesn't it, that FT is absolutely enthralled with as well.

Also I like Wendy and Gajeel, and several of the tertiary characters are cool too, with the only downside they might all be the same character in disguise.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Something I've wondered, if Fairy Tail is so popular, how come it's only had the one movie? Don't long running popular Shounen anime usually get 15 different movies? Did it only recently become popular?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There's a difference between the manga being popular and the anime being popular.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

pinegala posted:

The tournament arc was good. Also FT is about having fun with a bunch of dumb characters. If Lucy returned to her usefulness way back when she teamed up with Juvia to do that merged water thing, and the exploitative panty shot angles were turned down, it'd be perfect.

This reminded me that union raid was a thing and seems to have been completely forgotten.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Fabricated posted:

It's basically One Piece with a lot more fan service and no one (well no one anyone cares about) ever dies ever so I can imagine it getting really big since One Piece has been kinda ehhhhhh since the whole new world thing.

This is wrong. One Piece is amazing right now.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Thoren posted:

This is wrong. One Piece is amazing right now.
Usopp is amazing. The art/pacing in general has been pretty bad for a while IMO. How many times pre-new world did you see a Straw Hat get jobbed off screen? Bleh.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Fabricated posted:

Usopp is amazing. The art/pacing in general has been pretty bad for a while IMO. How many times pre-new world did you see a Straw Hat get jobbed off screen? Bleh.

It's better than just padding out the manga for a year of fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Usopp and Mr. 2 :(

• Locked thread