Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Santorini blue is the best color and I'm really sad I missed the custom paint cutoff when I ordered my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

We cannot forget this thing: I forget exactly what's on the paint code tag but it's 'mint grüen' or something to that effect. I can't wait to see it in person. :circlefap:

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

We cannot forget this thing: I forget exactly what's on the paint code tag but it's 'mint grüen' or something to that effect. I can't wait to see it in person. :circlefap:

It was an order by a local dealership, Evergreen Mint. An employee picked it up after a failed transaction with an east coast buyer. I was considering it, however it's DCT and non-extended leather.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Yes I know of the history. He lived on my street back in Utah before heading to Portland and started working at BMW. He just posted some updated pics today of his new carbon front splitters and will be installing a CF rear diffuser. He's the one that convinced me of selling my speed6 to buy my M3.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=319154
I'm going to look at this car tomorrow at noon - what is a fair price?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Yes I know of the history. He lived on my street back in Utah before heading to Portland and started working at BMW. He just posted some updated pics today of his new carbon front splitters and will be installing a CF rear diffuser. He's the one that convinced me of selling my speed6 to buy my M3.

Small world!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Holy poo poo.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackMK4 posted:

Rust free, good paint, uncracked dash alpine 318 iS? If he was patient he could probably get his asking price. Wave low 3000s in his face but bring 4k if it's good. Most r3v guys would start at 5k for that car.

The mechanical issues should be a relatively easy fix. Unless he is hiding something I would say that is a properly priced e30.

I need to offer a finders fee when I start looking. I'd never find that car in Canada.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

Good looking car but good god that engine bay needs attention. $4k seems a bit high but it I guess that's the trend with E30's now. Offer 3000 and go from there. Personally I'd have trouble paying more than $3500 for it.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Holy poo poo.

I think my favorite story is the guy who took european delivery of what was supposed to be an Atlantis Blue M3, which should have been a stunning color.

Instead, he got the Toyota Camry of M3s:

Atlantic Blue. Apparently the factory hosed up and painted it the wrong color.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

I would agree with the other posters. $3,000 or so is probably about right.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Holy poo poo.

No, holy poo poo is more of a copper brown.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
This has been sitting on the Houston CL for a couple months now. I know a couple people in the area have been posting in this thread so I thought I'd link it in case they haven't seen it.

I have no affiliation with this car and have not been to see it.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4371975047.html

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

This has been sitting on the Houston CL for a couple months now. I know a couple people in the area have been posting in this thread so I thought I'd link it in case they haven't seen it.

Mossy Oak covered seats and steering wheel on your 1979 BMW. Texas never change :allears:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

It's the magical '79 E30, they only made E30s from '84-'91('92 for verts!)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I was hoping that was just a typo

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Popete posted:

I was hoping that was just a typo
Pretty sure that's not an e21...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Brother started a timing belt, water pump and head gasket replacement this weekend on his fiances E30. Not too bad of a job just very time consuming even if you don't remove the whole intake system and stuff as recommended.

Bungee cord holding it in place for pictures and cleaning mating surfaces. Waiting on timing belt kit to show up this afternoon then hopefully the POS will run and she can stop bitching about the lovely car she insisted on buying.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lightbulb Out posted:

It's the magical '79 E30, they only made E30s from '84-'91('92 for verts!)

Best part is that it's not a typo on 1989, because that's an early model

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Snagged that E30 today - gonna be a good DD, just need to go through the suspension.
Edit: Ordered offset AKG bushings and lemforder control arms. Eventually I'll buy some coilovers.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 2, 2014

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
The AKG bushings make it less quiet and pleasant as a DD, but I found it to be worth it. I didn't go offset as my DD is at stock ride height, as I am a sissy.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Lightbulb Out posted:

The AKG bushings make it less quiet and pleasant as a DD, but I found it to be worth it. I didn't go offset as my DD is at stock ride height, as I am a sissy.

What, not up for a little oil pan roulette? :kheldragar:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

SuperDucky posted:

What, not up for a little oil pan roulette? :kheldragar:

That and it's a daily driver in a place where there is snow. I don't want to have to worry about getting stuck, ripping my front lip off, having to be super cautious if I need to go down a gravel road, etc, etc. My M20 powered car is lowered :getin:

It does look loving stupid with 16'' wheels, though. The summer time makes me want to lower it, and the winter time makes me glad I didn't.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 2, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Lightbulb Out posted:

It does look loving stupid like a rally car with 16'' wheels, though. The summer time makes me want to lower it, and the winter time makes me glad I didn't.

My old beater E30 was on the spec E30 suspension package which I would argue is too low and stiff for daily use. Anytime there was something in the road I had to slow way down and figure out the best way to avoid it and if there was construction...no chance. Surprisingly I never took out my oil pan in the couple months before I got my bad rear end skid plate.

bad rear end skid plate - http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95327

that skid plate also works great as a jacking point when the car is too low to slide a low profile jack to the front frame center jacking point.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
IDK what the PO did to the springs in my car but I wish he didn't make the front sit so much lower than the back, car looks horrible without the front splitter. :smith:

That 325 is most likely an 87

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Lightbulb Out posted:

I've been DDing sportbikes / a 240SX w/ welded diff/coilovers/solid bushings / an E46 with coilovers for the past 6 years, it won't be an issue ;)

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I hope you got the harder ones, then. I like them better on my red car than the softer ones on my silver.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Balls, I got the 95A ones rather than the 'race only' ones. Either way, the ones in the car are shot to hell and back. I haven't had a car in a few years (been riding bieks) and I forgot how fun an underpowered car with soft suspension is. Haha.

Now to find a used set of GC coilovers.

Oh yeah, the previous owner has this little project going... It's a 2002 with a T3/T4 turbo'd M20. Got the shell for $800 off some dude that tried to 'patina rust' it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 2, 2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BlackMK4 posted:

some dude that tried to 'patina rust' it.

:barf:

In other news, the dealership right by my apartment got an M235i in last week. I ogle it every time I walk by. The redesigns make it look substantially better than older 1-series. I think it's dreamy. :allears:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The new 2-series really reminds me of the E46 coupe, but slightly modernized.

And that's a good thing.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The 2-Series is pretty much the perfect car for me. I'd be perfectly happy with a 6MT 228 in Estoril Blue replacing my 330, but the M235i...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm not too hot on it. It looks too much like every other BMW. The E82 was unique.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MrChips posted:

The 2-Series is pretty much the perfect car for me. I'd be perfectly happy with a 6MT 228 in Estoril Blue replacing my 330, but the M235i...

I played with the BYO app on the BMW website and found that you could equip an M235i quite comfortably and still end up under $50k. It also comes in Estoril Blue. Give it a couple of years and I don't think it'd be unreasonable to find one in the $30-40k range on the CPO market.....just in time for me to be done with grad school :getin: .

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Viper_3000 posted:

I think it's worth looking at, but that price better be negotiable unless they have a stack of service records from the BMW dealership. Check the normal things that go wrong, get a PPI, blah blah normal stuff.

I'm a complete sucker for the 540i though. I think it's just about the perfect balance of having enough balls to move out of it's way and get around a corner with decent steering feel while still being a comfortable commuter/highway car.

Hey BMW goons
How familiar are you (or anyone here) with the 540i? (I just happened to flip back to this page looking for someone talking about them and there you were) My old man has a pretty "unique" one (2003 540i M sport, Steptronic but 37k miles, in excellent condition) and I've just been looking them up a bit tonight and haven't found any with such low mileage. He's not looking to sell but someone pulled up alongside me in traffic the other day asking about it and we've both been curious since then. I guess it's 1/1200 and pretty cool for that alone. It's black inside and out, he seems to think that makes it rarer for it, is that true? What else should we know about this car? Its a beautiful car and equally as fun to drive, just looking for some more info.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
A rare 540i would be one with a 6 spd manual.

'Steptronic' (a.k.a. automatic, a.k.a. slushbox) 540s are a dime a dozen.

Also, I suspect that black on black is likely the second most common colour for 5 series, right behind silver on black,

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

2003 540i M sport, Steptronic but 37k miles, in excellent condition

These are interesting but won't normally command a huge premium over normal 540 sports, especially since your dad has the slushbox. The only real change between your M sport and previous years 540 Sport editions are mostly cosmetic. (Different Front/Rear bumpers, 18" wheels, black headliner, //M badging all over the place)

And the enthusiast market basically won't care about it at all because it's not a 6MT.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Cool, thanks for the info!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The BMW dealership quoted me $1400 to fix the non-working rear wiper on my E91. This included changing the wiper motor, mechanism and electronics.

I bought the pivot shaft mechanism that passes through the rear glass for $150 (Norwegian prices) and did it myself out in the sun in an hour.

Feels good.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

evobatman posted:

The BMW dealership quoted me $1400 to fix the non-working rear wiper on my E91. This included changing the wiper motor, mechanism and electronics.

I bought the pivot shaft mechanism that passes through the rear glass for $150 (Norwegian prices) and did it myself out in the sun in an hour.

Feels good.

What was the breakdown of the $1400? That's unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

voltron posted:

What was the breakdown of the $1400? That's unbelievable.

I got it over the phone, so I didn't get it specified for each part. It took me a couple of googles and about 30 seconds of using my hands and eyes to conclude that the shaft was the broken part (wiper couldn't be moved by hand when I opened the glass and the shaft was disconnected from the motor).

My guess is that the BMW techs at the dealership have no leeway or experience when it comes to personal troubleshooting, they just do the corporate-mandated "Doesn't work -> replace parts in this order until it works".